Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

Drinking More Water

gwlolo
10 years ago

Wondering how people drink more water.

In the skincare thread, many people felt drinking a lot of water was key to good skin. I am in the I drink water when I feel thirsty camp. Other than a cup of coffee with milk in the morning to get me going and an occasional tea in the evening, I don't usually drink anything other than water. No juices, soda etc. I have been hearing that if you wait to drink water till you are thirsty, you are in a constant dehydration mode. My overall consumption is probably 2-3 glasses a day. I guess ideally it should be way more. A trainer I spoke to said that "Optimal Hydration Level" should ideally be consuming 1oz per 1lb of body weight. This is not including liquids from other sources. So how do you guys do it? Also if you have started consuming more water, what effects are you seeing --> Clearer Skin, more frequent trips to the ladies room, what else?

Comments (8)

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I drink a minimum of 4 glasses a day. I find it easier to use larger cups (16 oz or larger) and you're drinking more but not as many cups - if that makes sense. I aim for 6-8 (8 oz servings) daily.

I rarely do caffiene. I was kind of hooked earlier this summer on iced coffees (usually decaf), but have kicked that habit. Maybe I'll have one as an occasional treat. It's funny - I don't like hot coffee (unless it's very doctored up!) but I love iced coffee. Particularly caramel iced coffee. Not a habit I need.

I drink water throughout the day and we have iced tea (decaf) with dinner. No sodas, although if I let myself, I could probably have a Mt. Dew addiction too.

I don't have a problem with my skin, so I can't say it's clearer, but I do tend to get dry and it definitely helps that. More bathroom trips, but really, that's a good thing. A major difference is if I am hydrated well when I have bloodwork. I have small veins that roll and am very hard to stick. If I'm not hydrated enough, it's even worse - they usually have to stick my hand (which I don't like). Staying hydrated helps in that area. Also, I think it helps with energy level because I've heard that if you are dehydrated, it can zap energy level. I think it helps with appetite also.

tina

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I drink my 2 to 3 cups of coffee in the morning and the rest of the day is water. Tap water, sparkling water, water with lemon, water with berries. Sometimes I'll have an afternoon iced tea.

I carry around my trusty 24 oz. water bottle everywhere I go. I think I fill it up with ice at least four times a day. The thing is, your body gets used to a certain hydration level so if you want to drink more water you'll have to force it for awhile then your body will adjust and crave your new level of hydration.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I drink a lot of water because I like the taste and I'm thirsty. I always have my refillable bottle with me.

I think mine holds 24 oz and I refill it multiple times a day. During the summer I add fresh squeezed lime to a glass and then pour it over the lime, but mostly I drink plain water, straight from the bottle.

I don't drink soda or juice or powdered mixes or any flavored waters, just the occasional fresh lime. My neighbors probably think I have a big gin and tonic problem since I have a glass with lime wedges in my hand all summer.

Get yourself a refillable bottle, they make pretty ones in glass to plastic to metal to thermos style, and keep it nearby at all times. You might need to experiment with still versus sparkling, tap versus store bought bottled, and adding lemon or lime or cucumber or watermelon to flavor it until you find how to make it the most palatable for you.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

I drink water throughout the day. I probably drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day, milk at dinner and with my cereal and then the water. I don;t drink any pop.

I have a glass of water going all day. I drink it and fill it back up again and probably drink anywhere between 6-10 glasses a day.

One thing I learned with my 84 year old mom when we were making sure that she was staying on top of a healthy diet a few months ago is that water is the most important thing. I googled most important food for the elderly and water was the first thing.

The older we get the less we sense thirst and the more important water becomes. It helps to keep elderly kidneys working, helps to keep the toxins being flushed out from the muscles (don't ask me how or why but apparently that's where toxins collect), it helps to avoid confusion (apparently watering the brain is very important), helps to keep blood flowing, etc. What we did with my mom was to mark a 5-cup line on a jug and she fills it up every morning and by dinner it has to be finished.

A lot of seniors won't drink water because they don;t want to go pee more often but according to the research I did what will happen is that might happen initially but then you won't pee more often but you will pee out more everytime you go and that is a good thing.

When seniors die during a heat wave it is from dehydration and people say 'why don't they just drink water?' and the reason is because they just no longer sense thirst and so they don't know to drink it.

Oh and by the way - the research I did stated that you start to lose sense of thirst at 55.- along with sense of taste but that's another thread.

Drink your water. Our bodies are more than 50% water.

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

I'm loving these health threads, and have learned a lot. :)

I drink a cup or two of half decaf coffee with cream in the morning, and water the rest of the day. Sometimes sweet iced tea for lunch. I do have a glass of wine, or one cocktail (rum and juice) most nights.

Reading that, it sounds bad, but it's hard to give up my coffee and wine!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I drink plain or flavored seltzer sometimes instead of my water or I'll squeeze some lemon or lime into the water...there's something about the carbonation that is even more thirst quenching.

But I have to have a glass of water every day that is laced with 100% cranberry juice to keep my lady parts happy.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

I only drink water with an occasional glass of wine with dinner. Never developed a coffee habit. In the winter, I have a cup of decaf tea plain in the morning and sometimes after dinner to warm up. I don't drink soda and but do sometimes indulge in unsweetened ice tea when I'm eating out but sometimes just have water. Even before the "bottled water" craze, I was always a water drinker.

I don't have any specific habits nor do I keep track of how much water I drink, but I have a 20oz glass that I fill up at least 5x per day. I always have water in the car with me - I use a camel bak similar to pictured above. I exercise regularly so on hot days, I have quite a bit more water. I can drink an entire bottle of water in a matter of minutes and then some after running on a hot day.

One of my friends, who was trying to increase her daily water intake, filled a pitcher and left it in her fridge. She could then keep track of exactly how much she'd had to drink and make sure to finish her pitcher by the end of the day. Just a thought.

I just drink plain filtered water, but once had a glass of water that had cucumbers and some herbs...can't remember exactly what, and it was SO refreshing. I meant to look into doing something similar just to jazz up my water a bit but never got around to it!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I also carry around a big glass that I refill all day. Actually I have two different favorite cups. One is a big cup with a lid and a straw, the type that Home Goods, TJ Maxx, etc. has tons of these days. I bought myself a pretty purple one so it makes me happy to use it. I also have huge plastic cups that I got earlier this spring from Pottery Barn. They're sort of aqua colored. They're probably around 20 oz and I drink at least 3 a day, more if it's hot or I've been exercising a lot.

One "trick" is that I automatically drink one big glass of water after my morning coffee. It has just become habit now. I have another with lunch, another with dinner, and usually one sometime in the afternoon and another after dinner (as I attempt to avoid the temptation to snack at night).

Sometimes I'll fill a pitcher with water, add lemon, and drink from that all day, but I actually like plain water.