Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

Green Smoothies/juicing.

golddust
10 years ago

Ive been making them daily for three weeks. I use veggies from my garden and supplement with organic from the store. Kale, celery, lime, cucumbers, squash, spinach and ginger. I can't believe the difference in my skin. It feels softer and less puffy. I eat as usual but I'm losing my taste for Lattes in the morning. Starting to crave my green goo. The first one I made tasted terrible so I adjusted the recipe.

I opted for smoothies verses juicing just because I have a (Vintage) Vitamix. I use my (vintage) Omega 1000 juicer for carrot juice but I think the fiber in the veggies is good for me. I'm forcing it on DH. He complained for several days before complying. Now he just drinks it down without complaint. All my willing company gets one too.

I'll never go raw because I like to cook but green goo in the morning is proving beneficial. I've noticed a difference in just a short time.

Is anyone else doing this?

Comments (15)

• golddust
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot flax seed. I add a tablespoon per serving. I started drinking unsweetened Almond milk instead of dairy.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I am having trouble posting for some reason today!.

I used to love smoothies. I have had a vitamix for 10plus years. DH still has them pretty much everyday. I just can't drink them anymore. Luckily my boys still like some green "ice cream" in the morning. :) DH puts frozen fruit in so they are nice and cold.

I am now in to juicing. I did a 21 day juice fast recently and am working on a longer one now. We have an omega juicer and a breville.

I would like to drink the smoothies again. Maybe I need some new recipes. :)

This is a picture of the juices for the day I posted on trailrunners thread....

• polly929
    10 years ago

I drink them every day too. I use almond milk or coconut milk in them. Sometimes coconut water. My favorite is baby kale, baby spinach, baby chard with frozen pineapple, frozen banana and coconut milk. I am lactose intolerant and don't drink much milk anymore but love almond milk and coconut milk. I also add chia seeds to thicken them. I love green smoothies.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I drink a Vitamix green smoothie on most days. I add ginger, lemon, turmeric, cumin - whatever to add different flavors.

I just started having a first thing in the morning drink which is lemon and cayenne in a glass of warm water. It's suppose to have a detoxifying effect. I have a friend who's face has completely cleared up after a couple weeks of drinking it. I figure it can't hurt.

I used to juice but its only helpful when doing a fast and not while eating because it's the lack of fiber along with the boost of nutrients that makes the juicing so effective.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

>I just started having a first thing in the morning drink which is lemon and cayenne in a glass of warm water.

Interesting. I did a 5 day juice fast from a trendy local natural restaurant a while ago, and that was probably my favorite of their juices--lemon with cayenne and a bit of ginger. (No way to juice at home here.)

• sis3
    10 years ago

Yes, I am making green smoothies in a basic Vitamix. Like Lynxe I have lost my taste for dairy, and also for red meat and sugar. Basically if it's not good for me, I don't want it!
    I am loving the smoothies! I make up a container of a mix of hemp, chia, sunflower, and sesame seeds then add some of the mix to my smoothies and (huge) salads.

• Sheeisback_GW
    10 years ago

I like green drinks and throw lots of different combinations in the blender! I also add ground flax seed.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I'll be the long ranger here. I WISH I could like the green smoothies but I just don't! Maybe I need to add more fruit to give it a sweeter taste.

Juicing - no. A piece of fruit is more nutritious - and also has the benefit of fiber. I will have an occasional glass or orange juice but not often.

I do, however, add flax seed to certain food items, so at least we are getting that benefit!

tina

• lynxe
    10 years ago

"I WISH I could like the green smoothies but I just don't! Maybe I need to add more fruit to give it a sweeter taste."

You could add more fresh fruit and/or dried fruit. An alternative is to give your tastebuds more time to acclimate to the "green" taste. When I first started making smoothies, they had quite a lot of sweeter fruits in them, and a lot of carrot juice. These days, I've not only increased the proportion of vegetables substantially while decreasing the proportion of fruits and sugary vegetables, but I've also switched to lower-sugar fruits, like berries, including unsweetened cranberries. What's interesting is that now, I don't like sweeter smoothies as much. For example, I made one a few days ago with unsweetened pomegranate juice, and it seemed like a dessert to me.

golddust, you said this: "I can't believe the difference in my skin. It feels softer and less puffy." The same here. But there's more. How many of you have face creams, eye creams, special creams for nighttime, body creams and lotions? Special ones for feet, for cuticles. For every single body part or so it seems? I realized the other day that I'm no longer using anything. After showering, I always needed the whole gamut of creams and lotions; the same after washing my face, which always felt unpleasantly tight. These days, my skin always feels soft, and no creams or lotions are needed.

Of course, I can't scientifically ascribe the change to green smoothies, nor would I. I also can't say it's because of what I now eat, or because of what I no longer eat. It's probably due to a combo of all those factors. (It might well be due to something else entirely, of course.) But whatever, I don't want to estimate the cost of all those partially jars and bottles! Because I doubt I'll ever finish up any of them.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

It's weird Lynxe, because I love and eat a ton of veggies. I just don't care for the taste of them in smoothies. I do have a sweet tooth though! I think the smoothies are just not for me so much. I used to occasionally make fruit smoothies, but couldn't even tell you when I've wanted one of those either.

tina

ps - I love dried cranberries!! Made some chicken salad yesterday and added that and almond slices to my portion only (LOL) as hubby is not crazy about them.

• golddust
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am not a sweets person so I don't like fruit in my veggie drinks. I mellow out the kale with cucumbers and celery. Parsley too and lots of ice. I think they taste yummy.

• funnygirl
    10 years ago

Gold, I want to be you when I grow up (not be a sweets person)! :)

• strawchicago z5
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Lost weight from 137 in 2014 to 118 lb. in August 2017 with green-smoothies. I'm 56 and 4'11" tall. I gained 6 lb. through Christmas up to 124 now (Feb. 2, 2018). I'm trying to lose the last 10 lb. (goal is 114 lb.).

If anyone interested in joining a support-group in losing weight via green smoothies & embracing our Christian faith & being accountable to one another, feel free to message me. A Catholic friend joined me Jan 20 and she lost 7 1/2 lb. in the first week, she recently bought a blender for smoothies. Below is CDC link to calculate one's BMI:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html

• eastautumn
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My husband started making green smoothies for breakfast a few years ago when he was having digestive issues and I thought less grain (we used to have oatmeal most weekdays) might help. It did help, so other than weekends when we make whatever the kids want (German pancake, crepes, waffles, etc.), DH and I start our day with smoothies. We use yogurt as the base (unflavored made out of milk from our local dairy) along with some water, and add whatever leafy green is in season (spinach if we don't have anything local), frozen berries, bananas, and sometimes chia seeds or a dollop of nut butter. It varies season to season, but not much. I add toasted pecans to mine for a little crunch. I think they're delicious, but my kids usually aren't interested ;)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz