Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

Counting our Blessings

golddust
10 years ago

Our twins were involved in a three times rollover accident with their paternal Grandfather. He swerved to miss four deer, going 52 MPH. He had six grand children inside the car, returning from Lake Tahoe.

All the kids walked away with minor cuts and bruises. Grandpa has a dislocated shoulder. We are so blessed.

Comments (41)

• golddust
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are so lucky.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

OMG golddust!!! That is SO lucky! Blessings indeed - more like a miracle.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

My stomach turns just looking at those pictures. They were all so lucky.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That is amazing! So glad everyone is okay and a dislocated shoulder was the worst injury. I'll bet they can't believe it when they look at the car!

• User
    10 years ago

That's what wearing seatbelts will do for you! It always amazes me that so many people still won't wear theirs.

• golddust
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes. I read about it in the morning newspaper. Because of how many people were inside the car, our hospital enacted their mass casualty plan. One of our twins has a sprung finger. That is it!!!!

The grandmother was about six cars behind and when she found traffic stopped, she asked what was going on. She was told a Grandfather with several Grands has been in an accident. (Can you imagine???)

Because there were nurses stopped in traffic, they placed white towels over the kids to keep the sun off them and had them laying down. That first image of seeing her grands laying flat covered with cloth totally freaked her out.

I can only say that I have nothing else to ask for. Six healthy children who walked away. And Grandpa.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

How absolutely frightening for everyone. I'm so glad everyone is OK. How is grandpa doing emotionally? He must have been distraught - a car load of grandkids in his care.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Wow! Extremely lucky!

ML

• golddust
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Grandpa is second guessing his decision to swerve but we keep telling him that his live Grands are proof that he shouldn't feel guilty.

I can't imagine why the airbags didn't deploy. It was likely good as he had kids who ranged in age from four to seventeen years old inside that car.

• golddust
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the best outcome of all.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Wow!

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Amazing. I am so glad everyone is ok, not seriously injured. Had he not swerved, it could have been much worse, actually!

• User
    10 years ago

Amazing...

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I'm so glad that everyone got out with no major injuries!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

OMG! TG everyone is okay!

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

If there are such things as guardian angels, theirs sure deserve some medals. And poor grandma. It's lucky she didn't have a heart attack. I'm so happy they're all okay.

• homebodymom
    10 years ago

Thank goodness your beautiful family is okay. It is things like this that remind me what is important. You are all truly blessed.

• awm03
    10 years ago

Blessings indeed! What a relief to hear everyone's okay and that Grandpa has only a minor injury. Still, this is not something you can shake off easily. Don't be surprised if people are jittery for awhile.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, that's incredible. The kids look none the worse for wear!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Glad all is well, what a scary thing to experience !

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Seeing that car gave me chills, you are all so blessed today. The poor grandfather must be a wreck.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness, so grateful everyone is ok. How frightening.

• jlj48
    10 years ago

Blessed for sure. So glad everyone is okay.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

Oh, gold. So happy all are ok!

• golddust
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is such a small world. I went to my hair appointment yesterday. (My friend of 30 years does my hair.) I was telling her that the twins were is a car accident with their Grandfather. She asked me if it happened on HWY 20 and I said yes.

Her husband works for the County doing road stuff. He was the second car on the scene, going home from work. He put on his safety vest and started directing traffic and setting up cones to close the HWY. When it became evident there was no cell service, he drove for help. He didn't deal with the accident victims but prevented cars from bashing into the wrecked car.

He came home traumatized and told my hairdresser all about how many toys and child stuff was strewn all over the HWY. He didn't know the outcome of the children inside the car. We texted him the picture of the twins with a splint (above), along with a big thank you for his help. He was so relieved to hear everyone walked away.

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Oh, wow, how amazingly fortunate everyone was. I can understand your dads reaction. I once saved a drowning victim, but rather than feeling elated, all I could think of for days was what I might have done better, what could have gone wrong etc. it sounds like he is working through a similar process. What kind of vehicle was it?

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

So glad everyone is fine! So very lucky. Glad you were able to let your hair dresser know the out come.

• natesgram
    10 years ago

Having been in a similar situation as the Grandma, I can say that it can remain traumatic for a long time. It can be hard to remember without reliving it.

So glad for the terrific outcome. I agree there were some special angels with them that day.

Hugs to you too.

• golddust
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was a 2002 Dodge Durango with faulty airbags. I read about others whose bags didn't deploy. That said, the other safety features saved their lives. It stood up very well.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

So happy everything turned out okay!

• corgimum
    10 years ago

This accident hits close to home. My son's roommate and 3 of his friends were in a rollover accident on their way home from college in May. One boy died when he was ejected from the car and it rolled over him. One boy broke both hips and is in rehab (he was also ejected). The other 3 are fine and were wearing seatbelts and were not ejected. The other two did not have their seatbelts fastened. The accident was caused by a blown tire.

Don't underestimate the importance of seatbelts!

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, no kidding about the seatbelts. My sister and I were following my Uncle, Aunt and two cousins who were driving their new SUV. My Uncle went to turn around on the country road and the shoulder gave way, the SUV started to go into the ditch and was just a breath away from rolling. My Uncle did some miraculous driving, and managed to keep it upright, but not after some serious bouncing about.

My sister and I ran over to them and discovered that our cousins, seated in the back, had not been belted in...in Iowa the law only requires the driver and passenger in the front seat to be belted, but in the back seat, passengers over 16 do not need to be belted. They were pretty banged up, too!

I was shocked, because out here in Oregon (and in CA), it's the law that EVERYONE buckle up, regardless of age and placement. I can't imagine how hurt my cousins would have been had that vehicle rolled. ALWAYS buckle up!!

• CaroleOH
    10 years ago

I'm so they're all ok. Just takes your breath away how quickly an accident can happen. Thank goodness they were in a large SUV!

Definitely some angels protecting that car!

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

I have tears in my eyes. Beyond happy that everyone is fine.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Goldie - I am so happy to hear that everyone is okay. It could have been so much worse. Thank you God!

tina

• dedtired
    10 years ago

The pictures of that car are horrifying. You truly are blessed to have everyone walk away. Grandpa probably did the right thing by swerving. If he had hit the deer, one of them may have flown through the windshield, as has happened around here with fatal results.

Three time rollover! Thanks heavens they had on their seatbelts.

Those twins are cuties.

• jennifer_in_kansas
    10 years ago

Those pictures are shocking. It's not what I expected to see when I opened this thread.

Yes, you are truly blessed. So glad to hear everyone is okay.

Jennifer

• golddust
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The CHP measured the accident yesterday. According to him, the car flipped nose to tail twice and then once on its side. Landing on the roof, they slid 200' before coming to rest on its side. The kids said they felt like they were on a Fair ride.

This was their paternal Grandparents, I am on the maternal side. They planned an outing for ALL of their Grandkids. Lake Tahoe for an overnight. They were about 10 miles from home when the accident occurred.

My Jaime, their Mama, got the worst text of her life. Guardian Angels indeed. We know who they are and this was totally in their job description. All professional drivers, on that road.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

So glad to hear everyone is OK.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Beautiful children.

Angel on his shoulder.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Beautiful children.

Angel on his shoulder.