Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

wwyd?

User
9 years ago

We have a house in town (we dont live there) that we have finished renovating and now is for sale.

The neighbours across the street, own 4 vehicles and have only a single driveway, meaning in winter they park on their lawn and in the summer on the street.

What has been happening is that they do a u turn across our lawn, in such a way that the grass is begining to show damage. I have a feeling that knocking on their door and asking them politely not to do that is going to work because any good neighbour in my opinion would not be doing this in the first place. We are always picking up soda cans and coffee cups off the street as the two teenage boys dont seem to mind littering and the parents dont seem to care either. Any advice as how to handle this. We feel retaliation will happen if we do anything especially since the house is vacant.

Comments (22)

• golddust
    9 years ago

Build a fence so they can't drive on your lawn? Good luck selling your house!!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cant build a fence there, it is the grass area between the road and the sidewalk.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Very large rocks/small boulders should keep them from driving on the grass.
    Also check to see if your city has any ordinances regarding the # of vehicles allowed to be parked on a property. When my MIL was trying to sell her house which was next door to a junky property, we filed several complaints with the city's department of neighbor services. The complaints can be anonymous. The offending property faced the prospect of fines which if not paid would be added to their property tax bill. It took awhile but things finally improved. Good luck

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Can you put large rocks? in our town, people without a fence or curb, will but large rocks. Sometimes they paint them white.

I agree that they are not courteous neighbors, to say the least. Do you have teens or have you raised teens? This can be a a common ground. For example you can say, "Oh my gosh, having raised two teens myself, I know how they are with their cars! I am going to edge the lawn to offer a bit of guidance when they pull in and out." Act like you are on their side.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We thought about putting some rocks, although it would look strange there and not sure how potential buyers coming for a look would think about that. If we lived there we would do that but we dont want to draw attention to the problem with buyers coming to view the house.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

In order to be non confrontational, you need to create something in the area, a planter, rocks, landscaping, etc. that will deter them from running it down. If they do, then they are clearly at fault.
    However, as they are clearly at fault now, I would take the more confrontational approach and address the problem directly with the homeowner.
    If they do something to destroy your property, you need evidence, supplied by hidden cameras (and not that expensive these days).
    But if you do nothing, the house might sell just as well anyway.

• fourkids4us
    9 years ago

We live on a corner lot with no sidewalks or curbs so our lawn goes directly to the street. Large trucks (mainly garbage) would often cut the corner leaving huge ruts in the lawn. It actually was causing a problem because rainwater drains through that area down the side of our house so the ruts were damming up the water and causing huge puddles to form on the street (great for breeding Mosquitos!). At first we out a few large rocks there, but then in winter the snow plows couldn't see them and would plow right over. Our solution was to put whiskey barrels there filled with pretty plants. Technically this area doesnt officially belong to us due to setback laws but we live in a private community so our community would have to object and due to the drainage issue, we knew we could get approval (no one has ever complained in 18 years). So I'm not sure if you are allowed to put anything similar in this area, but it wouldn't hurt to try!

• deegw
    9 years ago

Our neighbors live on a curve and people often cut across their lawn. They put a few fence posts on the edge of the yard and put inexpensive solar caps on the top. They are set loosely so if someone accidentally hits them they give and don't cause damage. The visual cue of the the posts keep most people on the street and off the lawn,

• User
    9 years ago

I think it would be best to talk with them in person (nice, of course). I'd explain you've noticed the grass is starting to wear from them turning around on it and you're trying to sell the house yadda ya. Hopefully they'll respect your wishes and appreciate that you handled it the way you did.

Then I'd consider a camera.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Is that strip of lawn really yours? I've heard that area between the sidewalk and the curb (or in your case the area between the sidewalk and the street since there is no curb) called a 'hell strip' because it's kind of a no-man's land. The city really 'owns' it due to set-back and easement laws, but the homeowner takes care of it. In your case you have more than that to worry about since your neighbors appear to also be littering the streets. I'd politely ask them to please help you keep the area litter-free since you aren't around to do so and are trying to maintain the property values of the neighborhood. Same with using the grass to turn around since it's wearing down the grass.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

outside, you are correct, that strip belongs to the city and we look after it.

Hopefully we wont have to worry about it much longer, our agent called, we might have interested buyers, they are arranging a second showing on the property

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I feel your pain. I have slobby neighbors across and they have rotten cars parked in the street. The other neighbors call the police and report it when one of the cars has an expired registration or inspection sticker. They also park so a car blocks the sidewalk, and that gets reported, too.

I live on a curve and trucks and school buses run over it all the time. I got fed up with it and put three of those reflectors on a pole out there. Funny how they are now able to make the turn without running over the grass. Maybe some boulders with reflectors in the winter would do the trick for you. Hope you sell that house soon.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Roseabbey, I hope you do have some interested buyers! Best solution of all!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dedtired, there is a no parking sign on the street as well as a fire hydrant where these people park, but being the new homeowners are the block we dont want to call the police for fear they will find out perhaps do some damage to the house. I speak through experience. Many years ago our house was egged several times by teenagers. It was a terrible mess to clean up not to mention the emtional tole it took This all happened because my teenage daughter at the time refused to go out with this fella, so he got his friends to help him egg the house. Second incidence happened actually about 2 years ago, when I called the bylaw officer about the people across the street, letting the dogs loose to wander and crap in our garden. He was charged a fine. These people retaliated by chemically spraying my shrubs with weed killer in the middle of the night. I couldnt prove it was them but who else would have reason too. These two incidences were in homes we lived in, I can image what could be done to a vacant home, dont want to take that chance.

outsideplaying, thank you, yes that would the best, keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

• User
    9 years ago

Tacky is as tacky does.... people parking their cars on the front lawn says to me they won't be interested in doing anything to promote good neighborly relations. Keep picking up their trash and hope for a quick sale!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

If this doesn't go through, put up a camera! After all that?

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Could you plant trees or bushes? Keep off the grass signs? Park your car where the turnaround is usually done? Tacks?

• Olychick
    9 years ago

motion sensor sprinkler so their car gets blasted? Might not be so nice for other neighbors walking by, tho.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Olychic, are you my twin? Such evil minds! lol

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Too bad retaliation from them is a real possibility, even if what you do is within the law and your rights, such as reporting a car parked in front of a hydrant. Just be glad you don't live there and have to look at them every time you walk out the door.

My disgusting neighbors had a big Lab that ambled across the street every day to poop and pee on my lawn. I asked them to keep the dog at home, so they just let it out at night. My lawn was full of yellow pee spots. Finally the dog died, so that solved that problem. I was tempted to squirt Roundup on their lawn at night.

I'm afraid the only solution is to sell. Hope it happens soon.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think DH is going to talk to the mom, maybe she is unaware of what is happening. Our second showing did not happen, they are still thinking about it :>(

• deniseandspike
    9 years ago

In the neighborhood near ours where there are no curbs, a lot of homes nicely trimmed out the area between the street and the sidewalk with bricks. Then they filled the rectangle area with black star gravel and use it as extra parking. It looks neat and tidy.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County