Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Thought I would share some pictures of my bitter sweet vacation.

jterrilynn
9 years ago

My mom died as I was leaving. I was lucky in that I got to say goodbye. She could still somewhat communicate and wanted me to go. I thought of her often during my cliff walks in south Devon as she loved beautiful nature. We had the memorial when I got back...its been a whirlwind month.
We all loved Croatia (husbands brothers and sister inlaw) and spent much of our time on the island of Brac. Our side trips from our base of Brac Island included Dubrovnik and a small part of the Kastel area. I'm glad I went to Dubrovnik but don't care to go again. Horrible amount of cruise ship people which made the walled city all the more stifling! Brac is laid back and relaxing. If I were to go back to Croatia again I would do a lot more exploring along the Kastel area. Really loved it there! Croatian people are wonderful!
My favorite part of the trip by far was Devon Enland. The cliff walks and country is so beautiful it will make you cry. I loved the little pubs after the walks where everyone seemed to have a dog (inside and out). I'm looking forward to exploring Cornwall next.

BRAC!
Relaxing and lots of great fish!
{{gwi:1514267}}
{{gwi:1514268}}
{{gwi:1514270}}
{{gwi:1514339}}
{{gwi:1514353}}

DUBROVNIK
Our apartment was the door on the left.
{{gwi:1514354}}
{{gwi:1514355}}
{{gwi:1514356}}
Dubrovnik wall walk.
{{gwi:1514359}}

Kastel area!
{{gwi:1514360}}
{{gwi:1514363}}

MY FAV! DEVON!
{{gwi:1514364}}{{gwi:1514366}}vacationindevonandcroatia009_zps3cea09c8.jpg"/>
{{gwi:1514369}}{{gwi:1514371}}70/jterrilynn/Croatia and Devon/vacationindevonandcroatia010_zps4313f1c1.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo vacationindevonandcroatia010_zps4313f1c1.jpg"/>
{{gwi:1514372}}
A friend of my brother in-law who runs a B&B behind the picture taker. You can ride the horses right into the sea. On this day we helped install some fencing.
{{gwi:1514373}}

{{gwi:1491575}}

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 13:05

Comments (26)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Condolences on the loss of your mother. I'm glad, though, that you went ahead with your trip. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

• User
    9 years ago

WOW!! Amazing pics. I am so sorry to hear about your Mother's passing. I am glad you were able to spend time with her and that you were able to take your trip and bring good memories and thoughts of her with you. Your photos and descriptions are great ! c

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

I'm unable to see your photos on my computer (I'm sure the problem is on my end), but wanted to tell you how very sorry I am about your mother's passing. (((((Hugs)))))

• awm03
    9 years ago

Oh jterrilynn...that truly is bittersweet. That she wanted you to go -- such a mom thing to do. ( "Go ahead, honey, have a nice time and don't worry about me, I'll be fine.") Chokes me up to think about it.

Beautiful pictures! The Croatian coast is one place I'd love to see. I've heard so many good things about the area. Devon is another place on my bucket list.

I'm so sorry about your mother's passing. Peace be with you and your blessed mom.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

oh my, what a story, I'm so sorry about your loss.

Your pictures are amazing, makes me want to go there.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Sending along hugs and deepest thoughts and sympathy on the loss of your mum ....

Lovely vacation photos -- loved the ones of Devon!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

jterrilynn I can say that I know just how you felt and mean it - my mom did the same thing when she was dying and we were to leave on a 2 week vacation. She said that she'd either still be here when I got back or I'd have to come home for a few days in the middle - very pragmatic that mother of mine The pictures are beautiful and I imagine your memories will always evoke a mix of emotions for you.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I remember you being torn about this trip. I am so sorry about the loss of your Mom. Your photos are just beautiful and I'm glad you went ahead with your trip. As you said, she wanted you to go and enjoy it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

So sorry to hear about your Mom, but what a wonderful gift she gave you at the end. She was clearly a good Mom.

The trip sounds fabulous. Cousins went to Wales last year and were exclaiming about the beauty...your Devon pics remind me of it. So glad you got a chance to go.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Terry...your mom had ALS, didn't she? I hope it was an easy passing. I'm so sorry.

Your pictures are beautiful. I'm glad you went. And in the picture of your apartment I noticed that....the Shutters are appropriate!!!! ;-)

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone! I think my sister and I did a nice small memorial just exactly how she would have liked. Mom wasn’t sure if she wanted a funeral home and she knew she did not want a viewing. Her tastes were simple but nice. She specified in her will papers that she wanted blue and white family flowers. My sister arranged a date at her lodge and we bought big potted white hydrangeas, some apple crates, ribbons with blues and a few long dried thin stems with tiny blue flowers. Mom would have loved the arrangements we did. My cousin did a fabulous job making three large poster picture boards. Everything was displayed along a stage. There was stage lighting too to shine down on the picture boards. The local pastor came and when done with his sermon read a beautiful poem that mom would have loved as she wrote poetry herself. It was a small group of fifty, just right, mom didn’t like crowds. After the sermon we were all served a late brunch by the lodge members. I think we nailed exactly what she would have wanted.

One thing I’m grateful for is that the ALS didn’t take her long after she lost communication. That was something I was really stressing over as I couldn’t imagine a worse hell. Although it was weak she could still talk. The Doctors said she most likely had the disease for a long time. It didn’t seem to raise its ugly head until after the death of her sister. Then it moved FAST.

Devon was beautiful and very therapeutic. The whole greatness of those cliff walks just filled your head with wonder and peace. I can’t describe it really but it was good.

{{gwi:1491575}}

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 9:13

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful photos! I am glad the trip was therapeutic for you. The memorial sounds so lovely, and so personal.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

My condolences on the loss of your mother.....

Your pictures are lovely! It seems like you had a nice vacation, and respite, just when you needed it.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

So sorry about your loss. Very nice you could follow her wishes about the memorial.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Mnt, Cat and Debra! I will be going back up to sprinkle more of her ashes in another specified location. In the end mom decided that she wanted to be a free spirit and not have her ashes in one place. It will be good to meet-up with my sister to do this. My sister has still not grieved; I’m worried about her holding so much in.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Such lovely photos! I'm so sorry for your loss. Yes, very bittersweet indeed.
    Lynn

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

jterrilynn, I'm so sorry for the loss of your Mom. I'm glad you were able to say goodbye before you left.
    I'm sending you a PM.

• roarah
    9 years ago

Jterrilyn, I am so soory for your loss too and I hope your wonderful memories continue to bring you some comfort during this sad time.

There is no better place than the European seaside to join the past, present and future into one beautiful moment! Thanks for sharing your lovely trip with us.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lynn, you are so sweet! thank you!

Roarah, join the past, present and future into one beautiful moment! Perfectly said and thank you!

Justgotabme, Please check your mail. And, You just have to share your talent here with the beautiful poem you wrote.
    If I beg will you?

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 22:10

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Thank you Terri, I got your reply and happy you "enjoyed" my poem. I sent you a reply back.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I'm sorry for the loss of your mom. I lost mine the day after Thanksgiving (alzheimer's -- the cousin of ALS) and my dad at the end of April I know my mom would not have wanted to keep me from a trip. In fact, she waited until I left her room. My dad also passed after I went home to get a little sleep and before I could get back. One of the hospice nurses told me that happens in a majority of cases. They may not want you to witness their last breath.

Your photos are beautiful and it looks like a wonderful way to reconnect with life, reflect and recharge. I hope you felt your mom's presence and her blessings while you were there. I know she was in your heart. The memorial service sounds perfect for her, you and your sister.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

So sorry for you loss. Thank you for sharing the pictures! they are lovely.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lascatx, oh my goodness I’m so sorry for you. I cannot imagine losing so many loved ones nearly at once. How are you? As for me I usually have somewhat of a delayed reaction. This time not so much delayed as small increments of sorrow at weird times. If I EVER get this house in order and after the remodels I’m hoping to set up my art room and just paint. These are pictures for my painting inspiration: not so much for their color or composition but for their MOOD. The street shots will get different colors. What do you do as an outlet?

Boopadaboo, thank you so much you are kind!

• texanjana
    9 years ago

I am so sorry for the loss of your mom. Thank you for sharing the pics from your trip. Absolutely beautiful.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

lascatx, I'm so sorry for the loss of both your parents so close to each other. I can't even imagine the heartache!
    jterrilynn, I don't remember that you painted. Have you ever shared your work with us?

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did long ago. I'm not great yet but think I could be with a lot of practice. I'm good when things are tidy and organized at home. Haven't had that in a while with getting a home ready to sell, selling, moving and remodeling. Maybe by next summer or before I'll have my art room setup.