Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Seattle/PNW folks -- Bellingham/Seattle ?

mahatmacat1
10 years ago

Hi y'all,

It's been too long since I've visited here...so much going on, as I read the threads...after reading Kelly's thread I'm hesitating posting something so frivolous, but I know you all are the experts on *everything*, so I come here to ask for your recommendations...

We have to make two trips up to Bellingham this summer for a music camp that DD is attending--does anyone have any ideas for gorgeous places for my DH and me to stay in or places to visit along the way or on the way back?

I'm always drawn to Seattle, and we're going to see the SAM exhibit on Japanese fashion, for sure, and there's a gallery I want to visit, so we won't be missing Seattle basically, but

We always stay in Seattle, so I'm thinking we should take advantage of the fact that we're going *north* of it this time, and find a place between Seattle and Bellingham (not too far out of the way -- we looked at a place in Sequim but it's a 3 hour trip just to get there)--is there anywhere worth it? Or should we just go back and stay in Seattle?

Thanks in advance for any hotel leads, must-sees, or must-avoids : )

Comments (12)

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should add that given how much this camp costs, these trips will be our *only* vacation this summer, so we'd like to make it memorable...

• Olychick
    10 years ago

This is just a bit beyond B'ham...it's probably too late to get reservations, which will be a problem for many great places, they fill up the year before...if you're a foodie, it's worth it to try. Check out also the nearby accommodations on their website if you can't get into the Willows to stay, but try to get a meal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Willows Inn

• Olychick
    10 years ago

For a more down home charming experience (but also crowded in summer) take a look at the Bow- Edison area. It's just a couple miles off the freeway, gorgeous country, but housing is limited and probably nothing worth noting. It's hard to get a good website with all the details, but this has some ideas and links. It's really a very fun place, with not much to do but poke around in some galleries and shops and eat great food. At least worth a lunch stop on the way up, then you can drive Chuckanut Drive to B'ham (this area is south about 30 min from B'ham).

If you haven't been to LaConner, it's a bit further from the freeway, but it's also charming, south of B'ham, farther west than Bow. I don't have specific recommendations, but you can get what you need from Trip Advisor or Yelp. It's very NW, a little touristy, but lots of fun shops and restaurants.

If you don't mind a side trip, maybe an hour or two from I-5, Sleeping Lady resort is tucked in the mountains and is rustic/modern and beautiful. It's in Leavenworth, which is touristy, tacky, but fun. Sleeping Lady is relaxing, with great food, good hiking and biking.

Can't recommend accommodations, but a drive to/over the North Cascade Highway is worth every minute. On the other side is a great Eastern WA destination of Winthrop, but it's probably further than you want to travel. Worth it if you have the time (the highway, at least).

Here is a link that might be useful: Bow - Edison

• User
    10 years ago

Not sure how old your kids are but when ours were little we took them to see Noah's Ark in Burlington it is just off the Highway. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/8160

Skagit Speedway has Sprint Car races on weekends. http://www.skagitspeedway.com/ Near Burlington.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, olychick! This is all great information. Bow-Edison is definitely not too far for my DH's patience. I also noticed that in LaConner is a museum of NW Art AND a quilt/textiles museum...ohh yeahhh : ) I think we've found our trip : )

This is so great. We'll decide on hotel/restaurant tonight, thanks to you. It is a major feat to make this camp happen for DD and once we've delivered her safely, we will *deserve* a vacation...it's been a very difficult, difficult year with her and I want to look at some NW art and quilts, gosh darn it!

GW comes through *again*!

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

clblakey, my post was being written while you posted -- thank you for your leads, as well!

DD is 15 going on 27 right now so the best we can do for her is to drop her off somewhere without us iykwim...

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Flyleft, if you haven't been to the San Juan Islands and have more time to kill (not sure how long the camp is) then maybe even a day trip on the ferry from Anacortes is worth checking out. Taking a car is expensive and a hassle, with LONG waits, etc. But you can walk on easily, much cheaper. Just the ferry ride is worth the trip to Friday Harbor. Friday Harbor is really crowded in the summer...I wouldn't want to stay there, but always go far from town, but this late in the game I suspect you wouldn't get a reservation many places. But you can poke around Friday Harbor, LOTS of great galleries and shops (many artists live in the area) or get on a whale watching tour, by land or sea. It's a long day and you have to be sure to catch the last ferry back to Anacortes, but it really is paradise on the ferry through the islands. (Or you can get a whale watching tour from Anacortes I believe, by boat without taking the ferry).

Most San Juan accommodations require a minimum stay in the summer, but if you want to spend the night, then look around for someplace that has a night between bookings, and you might get in. I'd only consider it if it's outside of Friday Harbor itself (but that's me...it's a charming town, but too bustley for my taste). Roche Harbor might be an option (also very charming, but just the hotel, with amazing history, some restaurants and LOTS of yachts and other boats - it's lovely, though-not a 4 star hotel though - and I think they have a van to pick you up in FH from the ferry.

Oh, and there is some kind of walk on ferry from B'ham, too. I've never used it and doubt it would be the leisurely ride you'd get on the state ferry from Anacortes. But check it out...

Here is a link that might be useful: Water transport to San Juans

• Mimou-GW
    10 years ago

Flyleft, if you are going to be in the city and have some time, catch the ferry to Bainbridge Island. We have some nice restaurants including chef Greg Atkinson's Restaurant Marche and Chef Brendan McGill's Hitchcock, both in walking distance from the ferry. There is also a new art museum. You can get great ice cream at Mora's. If you take your car on the ferry there are lots more options I'd be happy to tell you about.
    Nan

Here is a link that might be useful: Brendan McGill

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, oly & nan, I wish we had more time...we'll be taking one day on the trip home, and two days on the trip up and back to get her two weeks later. The San Juans won't be possible, I don't think, this time around, but maybe Bainbridge with DD on the way home...I'll look up the possibility of reservations at the delicious restaurants you've mentioned.

THANK YOU for your great suggestions!

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I'm not from that area but have visited it several times.

"The Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibit" at "the Seattle Center" was well worth seeing for me. There may be other exhibits there also as they change.

We spent a few days around Sequim on a different trip but it's best seen during lavender season.

• lizzie_grow
    10 years ago

The Historic Fairhaven District in Bellingham is fun...lots of shops, near the water, etc. Kind of artsy....

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

luckygal and lizzie, as it turns out DD didn't end up going to the camp...long story but it involves wisdom teeth and a dry socket (OUCH!)...so we're thinking we will all go up to Seattle for a couple of days in the week DH and I *had been* going to have to ourselves. We'd suggested going to the final concert at Marrowstone but I think it's too painful to consider right now...I understand that but just wanted to let her know we could if she wanted to. So Seattle is probably as far north as we'll go.

But I'm saving all these tips for the future!