Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

What is your skin care routine?

gwlolo
10 years ago

Is great skin just a matter of genetics or do skin care routines actually make a difference? By skin care routines, I mean more than just soap and water :). I am suddenly getting some adult acne and I figured I need to expend a bit more effort to taking care my skin. I see some women in their 40s and their skin looks ...shall we say more dewy.

So what do you do?

- Is there a simple routine that does not take time but actually works to keep your skin supple, healthy and looking nice.
- Do you use certain products that you feel make a difference for washing your face?
- Moisturizer - everyday or when you remember. Is there a right way of doing this? Different for face and body?
-Sunblock? SPF 45 sunblock I use occasionally when I am out in the sun all day does make my skin super greasy.
- Facials - are they just feel good or do they actually work to improve skin?
- Special products - all those brightening, exfoliating, regenerating potions. Is this in addition to the moisturizer or instead of?
- Shower - most body washes seem to be goopy messes. Do the loofahs and the scrubbers make a difference?
- brands - there seem to be so many brands of stuff. Are there some that are truly better?

Comments (46)

• golddust
    10 years ago

I am drinking green goo. About six weeks in, my skin feels amazing. We are making smoothies out of celery, ginger, cucumbers, squash, kale, spinach, parsley and lime. Add ice and water. Its better than any skin product that exists. I'm astounded by the difference. My skin feels radiant.

I buy/grow organic veggies and prewash them all. It's so much easier to make morning smoothies when they are clean and ready to go.

I wash my face and use sun screen.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I think that using sunscreen is the single most important thing yoiu can do for your skin. I have used a moisturizer with sunscreen for years.

• camlan
    10 years ago

Someone introduced me to Clinique back when I was in college. Now that I'm in my early 50s, I'm still using Clinique, just different versions of the products, because my face has finally stopped being oily all the time.

Twice a day, I wash with soap, use the toner and moisturize. I don't use makeup. Once a week, I use an exfoliator. My skin looks better than my sister's, and she is 10 years younger than me.

Every single time I've tried other brands of products, my skin has gotten way too dry and flaky. So I think a large part of the equation is finding the products that work correctly for your skin. The only way to do that is by trial and error.

But, and it's a big but, I think genetics plays a huge role in how the skin on our faces ages. My maternal grandmother had very few wrinkles when she died at 89. My paternal grandmother was heavily wrinkled by her 60s. I'm clearly taking after my maternal grandmother and my sister and most of my brothers appear to have inherited the aging genes from Dad's side of the family.

And since I have pale skin, like a redhead, I've always stayed out of the sun or used tons of sunscreen.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

General things that work for everyone: Eating well, lots of water, sun screen, exfoliating, moisturizing day and night and using a mild soap.

I think facials just feel good and have no real advantages over just taking care of your skin on a daily basis. Genetics do play a huge part but if you don't have any major skin issues and have an okay complexion, with just a little more maintenance you can easily have incredible skin.

There are so many different products on the market today for skin care it can be very daunting to find the right product for you. Unfortunately, I think you have to do some trial and error before finding the best product for you - which can get expensive.

I've tried a bunch of different stuff but the one consistent product I've used since my twenties is Retinol. I just turned 44 and I'm told I look 10 years younger.

I love the look of dewy skin and you can achieve that look by using very little makeup. Use a BB cream and cream blush. Very little or no powder. What I usually do is sweep a powder brush over my skin with no powder on it. It helps to "set" the BB cream.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I think genetics does play into it, but good skin care can benefit anyone.

I agree with sunscreen being the most important thing you can do for your skin. Every day - on your face at least.

I cleanse (cetaphil), moisturize and exfoliate. I have one of the cleansing brushes and meant to respond to the thread on that and never did. I like it fine, but I seem to get better results with an AHA type produce. I also use a retinol product at night - both a moisturizer and an eye cream.

I also agree with Goldie (in part!) because I feel what you eat has a direct result on your skin. Now I don't do green smoothies, but I eat a ton of veggies and fruits and very little fried, greasy stuff. Also you want to drink WATER, WATER and more WATER!

Just my 2 cents worth . . .

• blfenton
    10 years ago

I think it's a mix of genetics, skin care, not smoking, drinking lots of water and a little bit of where you live.

I have been taking care of my skin since i was 16 (I'm 60) with moisturizer and sun screen before I go out the door. I wear a cream base and if I wear blush it is also a cream. I figure powders must be drying for the skin especially as you age but I could be wrong.

The products that I have used over the years have changed as my skin as changed. Right now I use Clinique because it is very light and it is non fragrance. and hypo-allergenic. For actually washing my face I just use Ivory and cool water.

As far as body washes, someone here suggested Aveeno, again because of it's non-fragrance properties, and I love it. I use a scrubber just because I like the feel of it - almost as if it wakes up my skin in the morning when I shower.

As far as skin moisturizer again I use Aveeno but I put it on at night and mainly on my hands, arms and knees.

I do get compliments on my skin and am told that I don't look my age (maybe I look older!?) but I think that is genetics.

I live in basically a rain forest on the west coast - we don't get the cold, dry temperatures where it feels like your skin is itchy because it's so dry and neither do we get the hot, dry, desert-like temperatures either, which can play havoc on your skin.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

The condition of one's skin reflects the interior state of health of the body so what is important for healthy attractive skin is to eat well. Golddust does what is necessary and her skin shows it. I also eat organically and reduce synthetic chemical intake as much as possible. It's very important to get enough sleep and to deal appropriately with stress. I don't think I could be as healthy as I am without meditation.

I've found keeping skin care simple is the best way for me so use natural soap and water on my skin twice a day and moisturize following with good oils. Coconut, argan, rosehip, tamanu are some oils I use. I don't use much makeup, only blusher and lipstick so need no complicated cleansing routine. Coconut oil is a good skin cleanser if one does use makeup.

There has been research to show that use of many types of sunscreen can actually increase the risk of melanoma so I avoid them. I limit my time in the sun between the hours of 10 and 2 if possible and wear hats and protective clothing otherwise. There are safe sunscreens but most are not and it's not possible for the body to produce Vitamin D or cholesterol sulfate with sunscreen on. Use of sunscreens has been linked as a principal causative factor in Alzheimer's disease so it's not the safe product most people believe.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Sunscreen (though now I have low Vitamin D), lots of fruits and vegetables, water, and great genetics. People ask me what my big secret is, and I say I come from families that don't wrinkle on both my parents' sides. I read online from a dermatologist that people of Polish descent literally have thick skin, so maybe that is it.

My mother smoked for over 60 years and still had fabulous skin when she died at 85. As she rapidly lost weight in her final month or so, that was when some wrinkles appeared, and boy was she concerned about that.

As far as beauty products are concerned, I use Olay daily moisturizer, Olay Regenerist night and eye creams, and Olay facial cleansing cloths to remove makeup. If I am really stuck, the CVS cleansing cloths will also work.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Sunscreen being linked to Alzheimers is a controversial notion at best. It reminds me of the debunked idea that vaccines cause Autism.

Please take a minute to read the linked article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on sunscreen and Altzheimers.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Some thoughts on it....

glycolic acid...I use a cleanser with it to clean off my makeup. Wish I knew about it years ago as it's a great acne fighter and I always had monthly break outs.

I now only wash my face once a day...in the a.m. I will just rinse well with water as cleansers can be drying. I keep an apricot scrub in the shower and will exfoliate once a week...I do it in the shower because, any little bit of stuff not rinsed off can lead to a pimple.

Clinique...love their moisture surge product.

Helia D...just got it but haven't tried it yet...from Hungary...all the tour directors raved about it and their skin did look lovely, so I bought a couple of kinds.

Avon Anew Genics...does make my skin look great but I struggle to deal with the heavy fragrance. I wish it came fragrance free and posted that on their web site.

Dr. Denese was on public tv and she said to try a facial product for a week and if it's going to make a difference, you should see it by then.

I also agree about sun screen, good diet and lots of water...nothing like hydrating the skin from the inside.

And whatever I do to my face, I also do to my neck which I think shows age even faster than the face.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 14:53

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

I have a LOT of wrinkles, esp around my eyes, and I am almost 40.

I don't drink, I don't smoke, and I am vigilant about sun screen. I wear large sunglasses on my small face. I've been a vegetarian for over 2 decades.

Really not sure what I'm doing wrong, so I am blaming genetics, though many members of my family have had gorgeous skin, so I am not sure!

I wrote on here a yr or so ago about this, and someone said an Rx really helped (esp. with prevention). Anyone know what it could be? I actually do not care about it too much for myself. I just feel sort of sorry for my husband! I notice in pictures how bad it is!

• camlan
    10 years ago

Someone introduced me to Clinique back when I was in college. Now that I'm in my early 50s, I'm still using Clinique, just different versions of the products, because my face has finally stopped being oily all the time.

Twice a day, I wash with soap, use the toner and moisturize. I don't use makeup. Once a week, I use an exfoliator. My skin looks better than my sister's, and she is 10 years younger than me.

Every single time I've tried other brands of products, my skin has gotten way too dry and flaky. So I think a large part of the equation is finding the products that work correctly for your skin. The only way to do that is by trial and error.

But, and it's a big but, I think genetics plays a huge role in how the skin on our faces ages. My maternal grandmother had very few wrinkles when she died at 89. My paternal grandmother was heavily wrinkled by her 60s. I'm clearly taking after my maternal grandmother and my sister and most of my brothers appear to have inherited the aging genes from Dad's side of the family.

And since I have pale skin, like a redhead, I've always stayed out of the sun or used tons of sunscreen.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

I have had bouts with cystic acne since my 20s after having great skin as a teen. I've seen several dermatologists over the years and all attribute the outbreaks to hormones. I tried a variety of treatments over the years, but nothing has prevented the outbreaks altogether.

In terms of skin care, I usually just wash my face with a mild cleanser. A couple of times a week I use Neutrogena Grapefruit cleanser that has salicylic acid, something my dermatologist recommended. Sometimes, depending on how my skin feels (sometimes, more dry than other days), I use Oil of Olay regenerist serum. However, on this board, I was turned on to two different products I've been using all summer and my skin has never looked better! I haven't had any cystic acne outbreaks at all (which are itchy red bumps that almost look like mosquito bites).

First thing someone recommended on the thread about neck wrinkles is Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair. http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Rapid-Wrinkle-Repair-Ounce/dp/B004D2C57M

While I don't have neck wrinkles yet, I don't want them! I started using this on my neck and my face and my face has never looked better! I have wrinkles on my forehead that are genetic, and they are definitely less noticeable. I do have some slight wrinkling around the eyes, but not too bad and haven't really noticed whether the cream has helped there. But my skin is now so smooth and clear - have not had any acne!

The other product that someone mentioned here on a sunscreen thread is Elta. It's a physical sunscreen rather than a chemical sunscreen (I had to google the difference as I'd never heard of those terms before seeing them on this board). I got one that is a tinted sunscreen and I've been using that daily all summer. It is not greasy at all and provides just the right amount of coverage in terms of evening out any blemishes while also being a sunscreen, but is not heavy at all.

I drink a ton of water - it's the only beverage I really drink aside from an occasional glass of wine in the evening. I do try to stay out of the sun as much as possible and ALWAYS wear sunglasses, even on cloudy days, but unfortunately, the sunbathing in my youth has not helped. Fortunately, I don't have as much skin damage as some of my friends my age, but I will never have the beautiful wrinkle free skin my 72 y/o mother has. She is very very fair and always made sure to stay out of the sun b/c she burned so easily. Her skin now has reaped the rewards of her care. I actually have olive skin inherited from my Italian father and did not heed her warnings in my youth, b/c I tanned so readily. I'm just hoping that as I age, and now that I take precautions WRT the sun, I won't be a wrinkly old lady. And I'm forever warning my kids, especially my daughters, about taking care of their skin NOW.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

I should clarify my comment about being a wrinkly old lady...I assume that as I age, I will get wrinkles. But, when I look at the difference b/w my MIL and my own mother, who are only 5 years apart in age with MIL the older one, I'm shocked at how different they look in terms of wrinkles. MIL is incredibly wrinkly but I'm not sure if it's from sun damage, heredity or what. She was never a smoker but boy she looks like she was. I know I'll never have the beautiful skin my mother has, but I'm hoping that I will be somewhere in between her and MIL. And though I'm reasonably vain, I don't think I'd ever resort to cosmetic surgery unless it was necessary (like having eyelids done b/c of droopiness that affects vision). Wrinkling is a natural part of aging so I expect it, I just hope I am able to gracefully wrinkle!

• golddust
    10 years ago

I developed cystic acne as an adult, as well. That is why I'm so impressed with the results of drinking green goo.

I have always been a healthy eater. There is just something about how my body absorbs my greens via a smoothie that seems to be making such a difference in my skin. Aimee and Robert have noticed a big difference too. (Aimee got me started and we started the same day.)

Robert complained like crazy at first. Now he totally gets it and willingly drinks it. We have all noticed a major increase of energy too. Another great benefit.

(Is there anything worse than a recent convert? LOL)

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Golddust, I'll have to try the green smoothie. I make smoothies occasionally but usually I include fruit, flax seed, and either spinach or swiss chard. Mainly because I'm making them for my kids at the same time and I doubt they'd drink green goo! In fact, if they see me putting spinach or swiss chard in, they claim it tastes funny (oddly, when they DON'T see me making it, but I put either in, they don't seem to taste it LOL).

Unfortunately, my stick blender just broke and I need a replacement. Our regular blender burned up years ago and I never replaced it as it took up too much room. do you have a fancy Vitamix or similar? I just don't have the storage space for that, nor do I want to have to leave it on the counter or constantly haul it out. The stick blender works so nicely!

I'll let you know if I try the green goo. I eat pretty healthy as well, but can always do even better! I'm glad you mentioned that you had cystic acne too - that inspires me even more to try the green goo even though the neutrogena seems to be helping!

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

I have always just used soap and water, and I've often used sunblock. I've never spent a lot of time out in the sun, and I think that's why I have very few wrinkles. Even so, I certainly don't look like I'm 30! I have really bad lines around my mouth and nose (I think they're called marionette lines) and hereditary dark circles under my eyes. I think I looked pretty good until about 2 or 3 years ago, then my whole face started moving south...
    (I'm 57)

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I don't think anyone has mentioned microdermabrasion. I have had several treatments in the past year. Basically the aesthetician runs a tiny sander over your skin, removing all the dead stuff. The first couple of times she showed me what she removed -- ick. I also have had adult acne after really never having it prior to age 30 or so, and maybe it's just that I'm finally old enough to outgrow acne at age 48, but it could be that the microdermabrasion treatments have helped unclog my pores. I love the way my skin feels afterwards, though sometimes I do have a minor breakout about 4/5 days later. It has definitely improved the acne and the texture of my skin in general, though (the lady I use does some other facial-treatment stuff after the microdermabrasion too -- a mask, etc. -- not all places include that).

I also have used prescription Retin-A sporadically over the years. Sporadic because I'm lazy and tend to fall asleep before I remember to use it! (Apparently it works best if you wait at least 15 min after washing your face.)

I use Cetaphil to wash my face. I have some glycolic acid pads from Origins that I try to remember to use once a week.

I have a million freckles and sun damage spots and have not found a way to get rid of those! I have hydroquinone cream but I forget to use it...see "lazy" above.

I use a sunscreen from Skinceuticals that is $$ but goes a long way. Not greasy feeling, doesn't make me break out. I also use Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer as a foundation and it's 25 or 35 SPF. Wish I was using all this sunscreen 30 years ago!

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Golddust, the article you linked debunks nanoparticles causing Alzheimer's. I had never heard of that theory and is different from the deficiency of Vitamin D and cholesterol sulfate caused by sunscreen use that has been linked to Alzheimer's. There is also a danger of absorbing parabens or estrogenic sun filtering agents from some sunscreens so it would be wise to find a safe one if one must use them.

Statistics show that increased rates of melanoma coincide with the increased use of sunscreens. It's thought that this is caused by the lack of Vitamin D which is essential for skin health and general health but may also be that most people do not use sunscreens properly and have a false sense of safety from the sun. Low Vitamin D levels are also found in cancer patients so I'm not allowing my levels to be low and having some sun on my skin is more beneficial than taking supplements (which I do in winter). In northern climates it's well know that it's impossible to get Vitamin D from the sun in the winter so supplements are recommended.

I have almost no neck wrinkles which I attribute to oiling that area when I do my face. I have also in the past used many essential oils which are known to be helpful for mature skin. Have slacked off with that for the summer but will begin again as I feel it makes a difference. Essential oils such as rose, frankincense, geranium, lavender, carrot seed oil, neroli, jasmine, patchouli, sandalwood, and ylang ylang are ones I've used and they smell wonderful except for carrot seed oil which has a medicinal scent.

• golddust
    10 years ago

I have a Vitamix 3600. You must google it to appreciate it. It is really old. Sometimes it sparks when I turn it off if I forget to slow down the speed and its stainless container made it hard (at first) to tell when it is finished blending. Now I use a timer.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Interesting about the green goo. Nutrition is extremely important for a good complexion, even though in the old days they said it didn't matter. People focus on products, which might help, but we are what we eat, so nourishing from the inside out is paramount. I have certainly noticed differences based on diet. That includes moisturizing. The amount of fats and oils in your diet affect how oily your face gets. Including healthy fats and oils in your diet is very important to nourishing and protecting the skin from dryness. Fats are also necessary to obtain/transport nutrients from food. So put some nuts and seeds on that salad!

JJ Virgin, a nutitionist, notes that her life long acne problems disappeared when she eliminated dairy. I'm guessing it could be because of all the hormones, even just the naturally occuring ones, but she didn't say why she thought that happened.

I've also come across that the fats we eat go to our brain, which is made up of a lot of fat. So make sure the fat you eat is of the healthy type if you want a healthy, well functioning brain. Bad toxins are also stored there, so eating organic is an important consideration for brain health.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 0:33

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I get cystic acne from most artificial sweeteners. Saccharin is the only one that doesn't produce cysts. I have known this for 25 years and tested the theory countless times. Years ago, I had a co worker who experienced the same thing.

I few months ago, I went over to a friends house and forgot my water bottle. She asked if I wanted to split a Diet Coke, (oh, my favorite of all time!) and just like an alcoholic, I said, sure. 2 days later I had two small cysts on my face. Painful and they took over a month to get rid of.
    Just my 2 cents.

• golddust
    10 years ago

I've never eaten anything but real sugar. Hate soda. Don't crave sweets. I'm not overweight. I don't know what caused my skin condition but I am glad my green goo is finally fixing it.

This is a picture of my best side. Lol

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Bumble, like golddust, I don't use artificial sweeteners at all and aside from an occasional dessert made from real sugar, I don't indulge in sweets much. I never drink soda. I pretty much only drink water and an occasional glass of wine. While I'm sure there is some correlation between diet and acne, I'm not willing to go through an elimination process to figure out what it might be. I eat a well balanced healthy diet w/o a lot of dairy but if giving up cheese was the only way to stop my occasional outbreaks with cystic acne, I'd rather deal with the acne as it's not really that bad and hardly ever now that I've been using the rapid wrinkle repair (think it has retinol in it). That said, I appreciate all the suggestions and will definitely give the green goo a try!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I only mentioned it because I know a lot of people do use artificial sweeteners, it's in so many products, and it might help them to know my experiences.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Bumble, it always helps when people offer up their own experiences and appreciate that you mentioned the sweeteners too. I didn't mean to negate your suggestion if that's the way you interpreted it - I'm grateful for all the suggestions as to possible causes of cystic acne. I almost wish mine was caused by something so easy to avoid! Anyway, sorry if it seemed I was brushing off your suggestion. I didn't mean it to sound that way at all!

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

Love that picture of you, Golddust!

I only use water to rinse my face in the morning, but at night, I cleanse with Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser. It has no harsh soaps, and is great for my combination (oily/dry) skin. I do wear some makeup almost daily, and to remove mascara, I use baby shampoo on a damp cotton ball. It's safe for eyes, non-greasy, and inexpensive. A couple of times a week, I use a baking soda scrub on my face, it feels so good and isn't too harsh for skin.

I'm 44, and am looking for wrinkle cream ideas now. I do use sunscreen, and love Neutrogena brand, as it's not greasy. I also use self-tanning lotions, for some color.

I'm trying to eat healthier, drink more water, and cut out diet Coke completely. I'd love to try the green smoothies discussed here, but am afraid I won't like how they taste.

This post was edited by Miz_M on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 11:21

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Anyone had any success with dark spots? I have two on my face that are easily covered with makeup, but I find them annoying...I tried clinique dark spot corrector but saw no improvement...

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I've had great success with retinol on sun spots. From my years before I was religious about sunscreen :). Of course, if you use a product like retinol, you have to be even more careful about using sunscreen.

There's a thread here somewhere about sun spots, etc. and I gave the name of the product that I used to remove mine. I had to buy it through a salon that worked with a plastic surgeon. Since then, I've used ROC with retinol products for "upkeep".

• golddust
    10 years ago

The first green goo I made was disgusting. I used a recipe for juice instead of a smoothie. Then I learned how to make them taste better. Celery, parsley, cucumbers is the foundation for good taste. You can add the rest in smaller amounts until you find your best flavor. Kale, ginger and spinach are the super foods so add them for sure, but in smaller amounts, until you know what you are doing. It just takes a few days to figure it out but I made myself drink my mistakes.

You can add an apple if you want sweeter but we don't. There are lots of recipes on the Internet that I used as a reference. I'm using fresh from my garden foods so my smoothies are a bit different than most recipes.

• User
    10 years ago

I have great skin, smooth, clear, no wrinkles, I am 59. I have been religious about using sunscreen since my early twenties. I started using vitamin C serum and Retin A in my early forties. Always washed my face before going to bed no matter late I partied that night. My only problem is under eye circles.I have no wrinkles or crows feet, puffiness at all only these damn circles. My mom had these so maybe it is hereditary. I recently bought a product called nanoblur which blurs the circles. Works pretty good but I still think about getting fillers but I am afraid to climb that slippery slope. Anyone here get fillers under the eyes?

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Rose - I was going to look for thread that mentions the vitamin C, but got lazy. What kind/brand do you use?

Thanks!

tina

• User
    10 years ago

I have been using Cellex C. I am sure there are many good vit c serums out now. Back when I started Cellex C was the first I believe. I continue to use this brand only because I get it at a good price off the Shopping Channel especially when they make it the deal of the day, I will stock up, otherwise I would have found another brand because it is pricey IMO.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I swear its genetics. The women in my dads family had the most amazing skin, and my mom has pretty darn good skin too. I wash my face with kust a washcloth and water; Olay cleanser if I wear make up.

I usually forget sunscreen unless I know Im going to be out in full sun all day. I like Clinique moisturizer, but DD got me La Mer, which I use under make up. Otherwise its just the Clinique before bed. Sometimes when my face feels dry during the day, I just rub in some lotion, I use l`Occitane body balm.

I am always complemented on my skin, but I think its too blotchy-Ive had freckles since childhood. I can count on both hands the number of pimples I've had in my lifetime. Usually hormonal.

I`ve been drinking diet pop for 30 years. I used to smoke, tanned like a fool thru my 30`s, and never have drank smoothies-green or any other kind.

Now, my eldest Dd still has acne problems at 30-shes suffered from cystic acne. My younger DD also had a fair amount of acne problems, but in her mid-20s it backed off, now shes got porcelain skin. My DS has never had a pimple in his life, he`s now 25. Their bio-father suffered from cystic acne.

My DS is 7 years younger than I, and her skin is terrible, very leathery and wrinkly, but we both did the same amount of tanning in our youth. Its got to be genetics.

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

Ok, having my first green drink right now. Experts please feel free to tell me if this is a bad choice. It's really very tasty, I'd like to get more.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Well, see link attached. You can make up your mind. :)

I used to have green goo. I just can't stomach it anymore. Green juice on the other hand... LOVE IT! It has done wonders for my skin and my ocular rosacea.

Here is a link that might be useful: naked juice controversy

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link, Boopadaboo! The consensus seems to be too much sugar (natural, but still). And the lawsuit. Sigh. I really liked it, too.

• golddust
    10 years ago

I love your rooster canisters. When I was traveling, I bought one of those green machines and could barely get it down. Way too sweet for me. If you have a blender with a pusher thingie, try it fresh.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

boop, what goes into your green juice?
    I don't know that I could get into juicing. Sounds like way to much preparation for me. I don't mind prepping for a dinner party special meal, but cleaning, chopping and blending on a daily basis would be too much for me.

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

Thank you, Golddust! They were my Mema's, she got them in the 50's. I only have three of the set, and cherish them. :)

• jerseygirl_1
    10 years ago

For Day, I wash with Purpose from J&J purchased from Ulta. I have not checked Target for it yet. It's very gentle and one of my best finds. It can even be used to take off eye make-up. For moisturizing during the day, I use Neutrogena Healthy Defense daily moisturizer SPF 50 "Purescreen." It contains Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide which are usually found in more expensive sunscreens.

At night, I exfoliate with Jan Marini Bioglycolic Wash (my skin tolerates the one for oily skin) and a 10 glycolic cream sold by Drnewyou (Dr. Susan Hughes). I mix a dab of retinaA into the cream 3 times a week. When I started using the Bioglycolic products, my skin did feel dry due to the fact that it is exfoliating.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

terriks,

There are lots of great recipes at the joe cross website.

These are some of my favorites:
    Carrot Apple Lemon Juice
    This recipe makes 2 servings.
    Ingredients:
    4 apples
    4 carrots
    2 lemons, peeled
    Directions:
    Rinse all ingredients and cut to size for your
    juicer. Add ingredients to juicer. Enjoy!
    A lot of times I sub a grapefruit for one of the apples

Green Lemonade Juice

Ingredients:
    6-8 kale leaves (Australian Tuscan
    Cabbage)
    3 handfuls spinach
    1 green apple
    1 cucumber
    2 celery stalks
    1 lemon
    Directions:

Green Citrus Juice
    This recipe makes 2 servings.
    Ingredients:
    2 green apples
    2 oranges, peeled
    6 big handfuls of leafy greens (kale,
    chard, spinach, romaine, etc.)
    Directions:
    I usually sub out an orange for a grapefruit in that too.
    Mostly those make about 32oz.

Gazpacho Juice
    4 plum tomatoes ( I usually use 2 tomatoes and 2 carrots)
    1 large cucumber
    2 celery stalks
    1 red bell pepper
    1 small red onion
    2 cups parsley (leaves and stems, roughly chopped)
    1 lime

the site below is also great. you can plug in your ingredients and it will give you recipes.

I started out buying a juice a couple times a week from a juice cafe, then every day, then I got a juicer. trying it out when someone else makes it is easier and cheaper at first. :)

there are also a lot of juicers out there and you have to figure out your goals before you buy one. We have two. a centrifugal and a masticating. one is MUCH easier and faster to use than the other.

once you start making them every day you start subbing and come up with your own recipes. I try to use cabbage, kale, bock choy, broccoli, romaine, spinach, swiss chard, etc in the green lemonade. I just use two each day and switch it up. I usually have two 32 oz of the green lemonade a day.

Here is a link that might be useful: recipe site

• msrose
    10 years ago

For some reason I find it easier to drink green juice than a green smoothie. Of course, you need a good blender or juicer for which ever one you're doing. I love Joe's Mean Green Juice, but I had to stop juicing, because it was giving me gastritis. A nurse told me that raw foods can irritate your stomach sometimes.

Mean Green Juice

Ingredients

1 cucumber
    4 celery stalks
    2 apples
    6-8 leaves kale (Australian tuscan cabbage)
    1/2 lemon
    1 tbsp ginger

Directions

1.Wash all produce well
    2.Peel the lemon, optional
    3.Juice
    4.Pour over ice
    5.Enjoy!

This post was edited by msrose on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 11:47

• golddust
    10 years ago

I finally made my serum and used it. I mixed it with distilled water and veggie glycerin. It is yummy. This is only day two. Thank you, Terriks!

I love this neighborhood.

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Ditto to Roseabby's comment about circles under the eyes. Yes, I guess I do stay up way past my bedtime, shorting myself on sleep, and I stare into a computer at least 8 hours a day at work and a few more after I get home, and my dad had bags under his eyes, as does a sister, so I guess it's all genetics for that issue, too.

Does anything minimize it?
    I'd even try the cucumber slices method again!

• User
    10 years ago

Pammyfay, try the Nanoblur. It definately minimizes mine.