Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1288772

Holiday KAW

User
10 years ago

Spanakopita is my contribution to the 4th of July pool party to accompany the hosts' shish kebab entr�e.

What's on your menu?

Comments (31)

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Pulled pork here (covering the ears of the towel pig). We will have cole slaw, beans, mac and cheese and watermelon.

No, we have not bought the BIg Green Egg yet, so the pork is in the crockpot.

Spanokopita sounds amazing! Really, your whole cookout sounds great.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gsc - Mmmmgood! Piggy is happy it's not him!

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

We're also doing pulled pork in the smoker. We like to make sandwiches with coleslaw and BBQ sauce. Also having corn on the cob, grilled zucchini, watermelon, raspberry sorbet and whatever friends are bringing over. DH is begging me to make a chocolate cream pie. I'm resisting!

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

We are "hosting" the neighborhood block party. I say "hosting" because we live on the dead end so it happens in front of our house. It is a potluck of sorts and the menu includes, from what I can tell from the RSVP list

Pulled pork (dh is smoking it all day today)
    Hamburgers/hot dogs/chicken
    Coleslaw
    Pasta Salad
    Spinach salad (I'm making this one)
    Grilled corn, tomato and avocado salad (I'm making)
    Corn on the cob
    Watermelon and cantaloupe
    Guacamole and chips
    Ceviche
    Cookies, cake and 4th of July cupcakes that my 14 y/o is making

My neighbor is making sangria and another neighbor always makes a new kind of festive/refreshing alcoholic beverage.

• User
    10 years ago

Rain...more rain...more rain ! No special cooking..just me and DH and..did I mention ...RAIN !

menus ALL sound great...wish we were there :) c

• golddust
    10 years ago

Today is Derek and Auntie Billi's birthday. It's been so darned hot that it is hard to get excited about much other than keeping the garden alive. It's 9:30 and we have not even talked about plans. (read: We are so boring.)

• User
    10 years ago

Rain here, too! We are going out for dinner and to the movies....two of our three children are home with us :-)

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Out to dinner with friends, then back here for my homemade apple cake for dessert.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I'm having the same thing trailrunner is having. Been having it all week, in fact.

• funnygirl
    10 years ago

O.K., I give up. What is KAW?? When I googled "KAW acronym", Keep Antibiotics Working came up but somehow I don't think that is what the OP had in mind:). Quite certain I'll be slapping the side of my face when the answer is revealed!

Taking "Texas Caviar"and chips to a party at friend's home.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Everything sounds so good!! It's been raining here too, but only overcast now. DH is smoking two chickens. We're having corn on the cobb, baked beans (in the oven w/bacon, etc), yellow squash, Baby Blue salad (has blueberries and strawberries along with crumbled blue cheese for that red, white and blue touch!). And we're having a mixed sampler of cupcakes because today is my birthday. :) DD1 decorated the breakfast room and DD2 picked up the cupcakes. I'm ready to eat now, but will have to wait until this afternoon and DGS nap.

• User
    10 years ago

Happy Birthday Allison..it is my SIL's birthday too ! Every year my brother laughs about how hard it is to get the city of Manhattan to coordinate the fireworks :)

KAW..Kitchen at Work ! I coined the term a long time ago and everyone has since used it to post pics of fun food happenings in their kitchens . I need to get motivated ..sigh. c

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Happy birthday, Allison. It IS your bday, so go ahead and eat a cupcake (or two) to hold you over until dinner!

We're having steaks and burgers. I made a cuke salad with dill (both from the garden), & an apple Dump Cake which we've already gotten into.

Right now DH is making pickle relish and the house smells so good!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Thank you both! DD2 has the cupcakes at her house - they know better! lol

Caroline, Bham does a spectacular show in my honor as well. Hoping it's not rained out this year.

• funnygirl
    10 years ago

Ah, we'll now I don't feel so bad, Trail. Never would've figured that out!:)

Happy Fourth everyone!

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Nothing special here, either. Our wretched heat has broken for a couple days so the house has cooled down enough to do some housework. I have a lot of greens I need to wash up and prepare into salads.

Also need to get to the supermarket-I have a list of things on sale this week that will be good to incorporate into the coming weeks meals. Hoping our more temperate weather lasts thru the weekend so I can feel like cooking!

Might grill a couple steaks and eat a nice green salad-and I might go RW&B on it-some strawberries, feta cheese and blue berries!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Getting very dark and threatening here now, so glad we did not plan to grill. MIL should be here soon.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

Quiet day at home-I'm going to try out Giada's recipe for chicken piccata, with fresh asparagus and a yummy French chardonnay.

Hope this isn't too political but I"m feeling very blessed on this holiday to live in the US. Reminds me of the Winston Churchill quote: "It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." And as an Army brat, I give special thanks today to all the brave people who go in harm's way so that we can enjoy this day of peace and celebration, as well as all the other days we so often take for granted.

Wishing everyone who is hosting or guesting or just relaxing a wonderful 4th!

Ann

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Happy B-Day Allison! I left you a message elsewhere.

Pork Tenderloin, corn salad, yummy rolls, beans and potatoe casserole. Vanilla pudding cake (a type of pound cake) for dessert.

Rain here also but doesn't bother us. We're happy for all the rain this spring/summer and lack of DROUGHT!!! Everything is soooo lush and green this year. Temps have been cooler last few days as we've had showers off and on or overcast. Nothing heavy and no storms. The last two days it's just given us a reason to stay indoors, chill, and enjoy. Hubby did fish with friends in a small tournament last night and some of the girls went out on the town. Fun!

Happy 4th to all!

tina

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Happy B-Day Allison! I left you a message elsewhere.

Pork Tenderloin, corn salad, yummy rolls, beans and potatoe casserole. Vanilla pudding cake (a type of pound cake) for dessert.

Rain here also but doesn't bother us. We're happy for all the rain this spring/summer and lack of DROUGHT!!! Everything is soooo lush and green this year. Temps have been cooler last few days as we've had showers off and on or overcast. Nothing heavy and no storms. The last two days it's just given us a reason to stay indoors, chill, and enjoy. Hubby did fish with friends in a small tournament last night and some of the girls went out on the town. Fun!

Happy 4th to all!

tina

• User
    10 years ago

I got motivated....you guys got to me ! I made a skillet of cornbread and a pot of black beans...salsa with roma tomatoes and cilantro and sliced an avocado. It was YUM!

HAPPY 4th !! c

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I made individual tiramisus for my guests who are coming Saturday. I hybrided a couple of recipes, choosing one which involved cooking the yolks in a double boiler till "hot to the touch".

If it were just for me I'd have no qualms whatsoever. But for company I figure I have to be extra cautious.

So, are the yolks still raw for salmonella purposes?

I whipped the whites and folded them in, too. I read that whites are less bacteria friendly.

Today is Thursday and I ate some. If I'm still well on Saturday can I serve this without worries to my guests?

I've pretty much decided better safe than sorry. But that is so unlike me. I can't get used to this new fraidy cat person I've become when I wasn't looking.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Thanks for asking what KAW means funnygirl. If you hadn't I was going to!

• User
    10 years ago

Food looks good!

I also didn't know what KAW meant.

We threw hamburgers on the grill. Things have been busy lately and we didn't want to go anywhere or do much today - including cook.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 1:14

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, my! Such a list of lip smackers: pulled pork, smoked chicken, dump cake, black beans and corn bread, corn salad, corn relish...and now at 5 am I'm craving Baby Blue salad!

fourkidsforus - I'd love to have your recipe for corn, tomato and avocado salad.

Allison - nothing better than birthday cupcakes (and someone else MAKING them). Happy birthday! If you were my 3 y/o GD, you'd respond, "Thank you. Happy Mother's Day" (her birthday was Tuesday not May 12).

trail - I never doubted you'd whip up something scrumptious!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Thanks, Tina and Javachik! lol Too funny, Javachick.

Attaching a collage DD1 made of her iPhone pictures.

DH had seen on Facebook a squash casserole recipe made with Ritz crackers, so he made it instead of his regular. Everyone loved it.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Jamies try asking your egg question on the cooking forum. They are very knowledgeable and helpful usually.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Thank you for that advice, Olychick. I did post a question over there. I'm not sick yet!

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Happy Belated Birthday Allison!!

You have such thoughtful kids. Very sweet.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

What a thoughtful hubby, Allison! The best kind of B-day gift! Hope you had a fun day with your family.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone! We had a nice day, and weekend so far.

If you haven't seen The Lone Ranger - go!!! Ignore the critics. They are idiots.