Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Met Visit...Wow!

Annie Deighnaugh
9 years ago

It's been awhile since we've been to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. Yesterday was lovely, so we went and had a great time. I've been wanting to go to see the Charles James exhibit. We are soooo glad we did. Not only are his dresses absolutely lovely and no woman could feel anything but a princess in them, the work and architecture that went into building them was phenomenal. And how they did the display was even better.

They had cameras on robotic arms that did close-ups of the garments which were shown on nearby video screens. Then they had other screens which showed the dress, the dress on a person, and then digitally disassembled them into the various component pattern pieces and then showed how they went back together. They had others that showed "x-ray" views of all of the structure in the garment...the boning, the horse hair, bundles of tulle, etc. Simply amazing. Of course the rooms were dark and no flash allowed to preserve the fabrics, and I only had my cell camera, but even with all of that, the exquisite work and creative genius that made these garments possible is most evident. The engineer in DH was fascinated with the architecture and structural design that went into making the dresses.

Comments (2)