Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

How often do you grocery shop? How many places do you go?

tinam61
10 years ago

Most often I shop once a week - at a local grocer. I much prefer it to Walmart and Aldi or Target - any of the big chain stores. I prefer a grocery store with food and a few items only - not a "super store". I also like to support my local businesses when possible. The store I go to has a great meat department with a butcher there daily. The produce department is good and this time of year they also have fresh produce from local farmers.

I refuse to go to multiple stores. I know some people say they save money this way, but I figure you've got to count in the time you spend, and my time is worth something. On the other hand, I am not one who can do bulk shopping and go less often. I buy too much fresh stuff to do that.

I usually go once a week to the grocery store and once a week to a local produce market. We've found a new one this year and I absolutely love it!

tina

Comments (29)

• kkay_md
    10 years ago

I do shop at a variety of stores, including but not limited to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Safeway, and a high-end gourmet grocery. Because of our county's liquor laws, I have to go to separate shops for wine or any alcohol. I go to the Farmer's Market on weekends, a produce stand during the week, and specialty ethnic shops on occasion as well.

I seem to go grocery shopping every other day while both my kids are home from college for the summer. We have a steady, unending stream of houseguests throughout the year, and have frequent dinner parties as well--and I love to cook, so I need to have these resources! I don't shop at these different venues to save money, but to get the particular ingredients and items that I want. I do work full time, but am fortunate that most of these stores are within a 2-mile radius of my home.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I do almost all my shopping at Wegman's. It's a place I drive by almost daily and I can walk there so it's convenient. I only plan our dinners for about 3 days at a time so I pop in to pick up fresh stuff a few times a week.

The only thing I can't get there, and if I asked that might change, is almond butter without added sugar. For that, and maybe some other odds and ends, I'll go to Trader Joe's every 2-3 months. It's a fun outing with my sister, we stop for lunch, we spend some time together. She buys much more there but I think TJ has a lot of prepared and frozen things I don't use.

Twice I bought produce and was disappointed. Once because the clementines at Wegman's were cheaper. The 2nd time it was blueberries and even my husband noticed they weren't as good as our usual ones. Then I noticed they were shipped in from California and the Wegman's blues came from NJ. The funny thing was I bought them at a NJ Trader Joe's, not far from Hammonton NJ, the blueberry capital.

I was at TJ this week and bought almond butter, fig butter, and Grade B maple syrup for baking (something else I can't find at Wegman's).

I guess the long answer is I shop at one store, I don't drive all over town to find bargains, and 3-4 times a year I'll go to a speciality store.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I don't "shop" all that often-- I make quick stops at a variety of stores. I used to be pretty loyal to the store that was "just down the street" but I sometimes went elsewhere for meat and bread. I also hit the farmers markets when it is convenient to my schedule.

I used to belong to a CSA but I wasn't happy with how the produce looked so I stopped it a few years ago. It may have been because I picked up in the evening and it was stored in a hot garage until I picked up.

I hate going into a store and seeing crappy produce.. and I hate a disorganized store. Now that I have moved, I no longer have a store "just down the road". There are a few that are now closer but I imagine I'll continue to go to the old store. There is a Wegman's in the area but it's out of the way of my normal routines and while it has a great selection, I find it overwhelming and overkill for the kind of shopping I do.

Things will change when I am cooking for two and entertaining more. Then I expect I'll do weekly trips.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I would say we shop 3 times a week since we run out of produce frequently. We mostly shop at one supermarket, but if we only need some fruits and veggies we might go to the asian farm market. they don't have organic but it is quicker then going to the big store. We don't really have any local markets and TJ and wholefoods are about 25 miles away so we never (rarely) go there either.

There are three supermarkets within about 6 miles. Two Shop Rites and a Stop and Shop.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

Grocery/household shopping is a weekly outing for my husband and me. On Sunday mornings we shop at Publix (groceries) and Target (cleaning supplies, miscellaneous). We go to a shopping center that has both stores so it's convenient. Every 2-3 Sundays we include in the outing a trip to Costco for some food items that are cheaper there.

If we need anything between weekly shops, my husband does the grocery store run because he gets up very early and goes first thing before he heads in to the office. I hatehatehate grocery shopping on week days; my schedule isn't as flexible and I refuse to spend time after work fighting nightmare traffic and crowds, which is SOP for any grocery store anywhere near me.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I "shop" frequently at various stores, depending on what I need. I do tend to know where something is cheaper and can only get certain items at certain places.

I typically go to a super market with great prices on quality products (national brands and some store brand items which have been good), Whole Foods for some things (much less now that a great new supermarket has opened who beats their prices by a landslide on the exact same items), occasionally Trader Joe's and the farmer's market when I'm nearby but it's much more expensive so I shop there less than in the past.

I find random shopping as needed much more relaxing than trying to organize batch trips or purchase everything at one time, making it a big chore with lots of bags to lug and unpack.

I pop in when en route, so it's not a big deal unless I'm tired and just want to go home.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

I seem to shop more frequently when the kids are in school, which, thinking about it, is rather odd because now they are home all day eating but I shop less often! I think it's because the Trader Joe's is not near my house and when they are in school, I usually drop them off, then run with my friends, then from there, go to TJ's. I probably go 3x/week to TJs. Aha, I just realized why I don't go as much in summer...because I have a produce stand nearby so I go there a few times a week.

It seems my usual pattern is Sam's Club 2x/month for bulk items, Trader Joes 2-3x per week (in summer, more like 1x/week at most), occasionally I shop at Whole Foods if I'm looking for good meat/seafood/poultry and very rarely, to my local grocery store, which is actually the closest store to my house! I go there for things I can't get at TJ's, which isn't much. Now we are a family of six, so we go through fresh produce quickly. And inevitably, I forget a few items so need to run back to TJ later in the week (I prefer many of their items to my local grocery like milk, Greek yogurt, salsa, bread, cheese, cereal, nuts, etc - better, as well as cheaper). And fortunately, TJ's is right across the street from dh's office, so he often runs in after work if I forgot an ingredient I need for dinner). I will say that TJ's produce is not the greatest so in summer, I get it at the local stand or I go to Whole Foods.

There is a Wegman's about 25 minutes away, but truthfully, it was just ok and not worth the drive for me. Trader Joe's pricing is better. My parents, however, live about 10 minutes from there and go often for their prepared meals. It's actually a good deal for them - they get two meals out of one entree w/sides.

• teacats
    10 years ago

As I pointed out on the Aldi thread -- we are able to shop around our neighbourhood -- everywhere from Walmart to Sprouts (organic grocery) to Aldi to KMart (a Korean grocery store with great veggies and meats and seafood) to Big Lots ....

So I check out specials and not feel too badly (about the cost of gas for the car) -- and do a "round of shopping" on several times during the week ....

Of course there is Costco too! :) For the bulk items (like paper towels/toilet rolls as well as their own roto-chicken (amazing good!!! and only 4.99!) and other grocery items ....

We are very lucky to have such a wide choice hereabouts!:)

• maddielee
    10 years ago

I am at my local Publix at least 3 times a week.

When near Aldi's I might pop in to see what they have but I seldom make a special trip there.

Tampa Is finally getting Trader Joe's!!!!! The first one won't be that close but it is in an area that I visit often.

ML

ML

• tinam61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teacats - it is nice to have so many near you. It our little area, we do have two larger grocery stores and the (seasonal) produce market I mentioned is very near us. All the produce is grown right there on site - along with plants/flowers, etc. The gourmet market I occasionally visit, along with Trader Joe's, etc. is in the city. However, that is a trade-off we're willing to pay - to not live within the city. Everything is a trade-off! LOL

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

The majority of my shopping is done at a super Target. If I want fresh fish or chicken, I go to Whole Foods. I do buy organic produce, but will buy what Target has. I can get some of my household cleaners at the dollar store, but others I get at Home Depot. I don't like the big grocery stores since I don't buy anything canned or processed, but I do like a good Deli, Whole Foods being my favorite, but like some of the Archer Farms(Target)products. I shop when I need a few things, sometimes 3 times a week. I don't buy anything frozen except my favorite Bluebell ice cream! ;o)

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I go once a month to Central Market (similar but far superior to Whole Foods IMO) for meat and hard to find items.

I go bi-weekly to our local grocery store for staples. Less is I can help it!

And I receive a weekly or some times twice a week delivery from Greenling which is a local Farmer's Market delivery service. This is where I get my produce, local grass-fed meats, dairy and eggs. Also lots of local artisan products and they co-op with Whole Foods so you can also receive many products that they carry in WF stores.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

I usually go about twice a week. We have Vons (Safeway), Ralphs, and Albertsons nearby. We also have a Stater Bros., and I think the prices are lowest there, but it's kind of too far to drive.

I used to try to go just once a week, but I always ended up forgetting something or needing something else, so that's why I just go twice. I am really fast- I know the aisles of the Vons and the Albertsons so well!

A pet peeve is people blocking the aisles with their carts while they are leisurely looking for stuff.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

How often do you grocery shop?

As often as I need to. Sometimes once a week. Sometimes every other day. It depends on how many people are home and how much food they are putting away.

How many places do you shop?

One. My local, family owned IGA. An awesome store with good prices, great service and a great selection. I refuse to help the big stores help put them out of business. My dh doesn't understand why I do this. Tough.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I shop at 3-4 stores a week. On Tuesday mornings I head first to Trader Joes down in town. Then to great meat market near it. Every other week I also hit a favorite produce market, while I'm down there. From there I'll head to Walmart Super Center to get whatever else I still need. Once every 3 weeks or so, DH & I shop at Costco on a Saturday morning. During the week, I run down to our small, local grocery store for last minute things I might need for a recipe, etc. It's expensive and the produce and selections aren't all that great, so I don't use it as my main grocery store.
    Lynn

• tinam61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Red, years ago we used to have an IGA.

I occasionally have to run out mid-week but will do that on a day that I have to work and stop then. Otherwise, if I've forgotten something, etc. I let hubby pick it up on his way back home.

We have Sams and now have Costco in the city near me, but we never shop there. It just doesn't seem to work for only the two of us.

This week, however, I have stopped twice so far and will go a third time for produce! I have been putting up a few items. . .

• User
    10 years ago

I go to town once a week to grocery shop usually only at one store Superstore. I tried shopping at Walmart when they supersized but the line ups are way longer and the selection isn't as good. We also go to town one other day for "float" shopping like household goods, car oil, special sale stuff and costco for our hot dog lunch (Date night you know) We "do the loops" going up and down each row to see what is new. Lame entertainment I know. Our little town has a corner store and we do not go there unless it is a dire emergency once I had to get a gallon of ketchup there for high school lunches and it was $15 and only $5 in town.

• homebodymom
    10 years ago

I shop @3x per week. One large weekly shop at Publix and our local produce market. After that I usually do the "fill ins" about 2x a week between Super Target and Walmart for pet, cleaning, toiletry supplies, etc.

• camlan
    10 years ago

I dislike food shopping. I'd rather scrub toilets. So I go once a week, or less if at all possible. I live alone, so I can serve myself odd meals that others wouldn't eat.

My options for food shopping are Hannafords two miles away, and Shaws, DeMoulas, Super Target and Walmart, all six miles away. DeMoulas has the lowest overall prices and pretty nice people working there, so that's where I shop the most. I'll go to Hannaford's when they have a really good sale on something.

Trader Joe's is about 15 miles away. I get out that way about once a month, and stock up on a few things from there.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I've gotten paid once a month for over 20 years, so I have been used to doing my major shopping at the first, then a weekly pop in for perishables. It was especially true when the kids were still at home-and it took me a very long time to stop doing that.

Now I shop probably every other day-to replace perishables, and then it's a quick pop into a market on my way home from work. I do shopping for frozen goods, meat, coffee, pet food and occasional specialty items at Costco, and when I need household supplies, paper goods or cat litter, I go to WalMart. They are also carrying the brand of gluten free bread I like and it's $2 less than the supermarket. Produce from the local growers markets.

I visit a discount grocer-the kind with no frills, bag your own, no credit cards accepted-probably once every couple months to stock up on bulk goods and staples. They have the lowest prices of any grocery around, but their fresh stuff isn't the best, and it's always packed. I DID spend thousands of dollars there when my kids were still at home, tho.

I hate grocery shopping with a passion, so I try to do as little as possible.

• jmc01
    10 years ago

At this time of year, daily or as needed from our veg and herb gardens.

Every Sat to the farmer's market for veg/fruit, meats and some dairy.

Once every 6 wks for the rest and then it's Whole Foods and Costco.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

We go once a week. I make the menu and do the cooking, but my DH does the actual shopping most of the time. I need to go more often so that I can check out Aldi's, which I have been meaning to do.

I plan meals based on how long perishables will last. The more delicate items are always scheduled for early in the week. Things that can go a little longer are at the end. Sometimes my DH will pick up something on his way home from work, but I try to avoid this with planning.

The more stores we go to and the more we shop, the more we spend. I am trying to "shop at home" more, too, by using everything in the pantry first.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I do one big trip to Wegmans a week but usually end up there about 3 times a week for milk and last minute things. I do most of my shopping there as they are the cheapest and have decent quality. Unfortunately Wegmans is getting so busy its not fun to shop there anymore. My son works for a competitor so sometimes I stop there just to avoid the crowds.

For meats I try to buy all for a local family owned butcher. Prices may be a little higher but so is the quality.

Once every two weeks I go to BJs but only but certain things there as Wegmans is usually cheaper.

Trader Joes is opening soon nearby. Not really sure if I will shop there.

Costco is opening in the area next summer. I will check them out and probably change my membership from BJs to Costco.

• User
    10 years ago

I'm not a fan of Kroger which is the only national chain available in our area. We go to the stores we do for quality reasons not savings and we're willing to drive the 20-30 minutes it takes to get to them. There is an amazing farmers market which is locally owned; we like to go there for much of our fruit and produce, but we also love the organic selection at Whole Foods. We get all our toiletries, house supplies and meat in bulk at Costco then we repack the meat in meal size portions. Every once in a blue moon one of us will stop by Meijer to get odds and ends we might need but nothing is ever routine, we just go when the need arises.

• roobear
    10 years ago

We usually shop for our meat and produce at Whole Foods and or our local farmer's market or the local farmer's coop. For our toiletries, cleaning supplies, and food (homemade) for our dogs (fresh meats, eggs, etc. not commercial dog food) we buy from our local base commissary, since the prices are lower than regular grocery stores like Kroger etc. I usually will pick up a few food items for us from there as they stock some organic produce now and have a "health" food section with a fair amount of gluten free products.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Once a week we have organic produce and some bulk legumes ( my delivery service even has seitan, tofu, hemp milk, plus grains Luke farro quinoa etc!!) delivered to the house. Then once a month I make a stop at the local health food store (spices, vegan essentials, Ezekiel breads, supplements) and Costco every other month (paper products, toiletries, etc). This method has drastically cut our grocery bill compared to the old farmers market, whole foods, kroger, target shuffle I did. Plus now I have more time to fit in a trail run or paddle!

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I hit Costco every month for chicken, turkey, fruits and vegetables. It's surprising how long produce will last in my refrigerator. On the same day, I visit Trader Joe's for crackers, tortillas and guilty pleasure items like ice cream. I seldom set foot in the regular supermarket except when I need things like condiments that I don't want to buy in bulk or eggs because I don't like Trader Joe's eggs.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

I shop at multiple stores. Pay day is every other Friday so I that is when I go to Wal-Mart or Smith's (Kroger owned). Every 2 weeks we also get coffee beans at the little mom and pop shop. We go to Sprouts every 2 weeks as their ads overlap on Wednesdays. This is actually getting less frequent as they have not put the bulk things on sale that I want the most as frequently (steel cut oats and short grain brown rice). The bread outlet is a once a month trip.

Other stores such as Keller's (for meat), Trader Joe's, the international markets, Vitamin Cottage (for other bulk items), I alternate months. Some things I get through Amazon's subscribe and save and that can vary in frequency. Eggs are mostly from my hens and many of our vegetables come from our garden. Some of the variety in shopping is about the money savings but it is more along the lines of trying to match the quality to a certain price point and meeting my needs of acquiring a diversity of ingredients. Arborio rice at TJ's, quality meat at Keller's, red lentils in bulk at Vitamin Cottage, etc. Part of it is me trying to maintain a well stocked pantry because my moods are fickle and if the pantry has a variety of things, I can cook according to my mood. Pre-planned menus never, ever work for me.

• User
    10 years ago

We currently go every two weeks to 3-5 stores. There are also two local places we buy produce for things that aren't in our garden. We still stop at the local mom and pop store many times throughout the week. We buy meat locally from a friend.