Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hhireno

What to do and see in Dallas?

hhireno
10 years ago

I will be tagging along with my husband when he goes to Dallas on business in October. Any recommendations about places to see, things to do, or restaurants?

I like museums, hate sports, enjoy dining out at food trucks to fancy places, I like scenic and/or fitness walks, I don't care much about shopping.

So, what are the don't miss things of Dallas?

Comments (16)

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

A few years ago, I lived on and off in Dallas for a year, it's a pretty city with a few interesting neighbourhoods, there is the Katy trail across town that links you to various areas.

Eatzis is a food market where you could pickup lunch and eat in a park. I'm drawing a blank for restaurant names, I'll look them up and get back to you.

Do you know which hotel you'll be staying at ?

Here is a link that might be useful: the Katy trail

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Dallas museum of art was better than I expected. I enjoyed the visit and would go back. As for trails scenic hiking: lake texanoma has a few I especially remember the cross timbers trail. Oh and there was like a small 4-5 mile loop around Bonham state park. And I'm a vegetarian so my dining highlights may not interest you but kalachandjis was great. /

Here is a link that might be useful: Kalachandjis

• teacats
    10 years ago

Yes -- many suggestions depend on where you are staying!
    There are SO many restaurants! :) Do check out Urbanspoon for ideas too!

Dallas Museum of Art. Try their restaurant.

Perot Museum of Nature and Science.

Sixth Floor Museum

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Pappas Bros. Steakhouse is fantastic.

It's been a long time since I was there but the The Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth was really wonderful.

• hhireno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I knew I could count on this place for some ideas. I don't know the hotel, I'll have to check with my husband and report back.

I emailed Kalachandijs for their cooking class schedule. I'm not vegetarian but enjoy eating in V places and I enjoy cooking classes. It would be a fun thing to do while he's at meetings, since he is less enamored with Indian food or cooking classes. The next day I can take him to the steak place!

I have a crazy idea that I haven't run by my husband yet. A friend moved to Houston last year and I see almost hourly flights from D to H. I'm thinking about flying down and back the same day. I see flights for about $160. Is that totally insane to do?

• texanjana
    10 years ago

October is a great month to visit Texas. The Sixth Floor Museum (JFK Memorial) is a must-see. The Dallas Arboretum is beautiful. The George Bush library recently opened on the SMU campus. No matter your political affiliation, the presidential libraries are always interesting.

The arts district is wonderful - Dallas Museum of Art, Nasher Sculpture Garden, Crowe Asian Art Museum, etc. You can download a map online. Have a fun trip!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Your day trip would be totally do able : Southwest runs those almost hourly flights, from different airports,
    look up the distance from downtown to Dallas Love Field and Houston Hobby airport to where you are going.
    DH used to do those day trips all the time.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Here's another wonderful spot for possible cooking classes!

Again -- depends on where you are staying! :)

This is a GREAT area -- with some of my fav stores -- including Weirs -- just across the street from Sur La Table ..... Weirs is great for furniture and other décor ideas .....

Also Central Market has classes too! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sur La Table possible cooking classes

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

A second vote for the Arboretum...I love walking in it.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I just remembered a bistro on Oaklawn called Parigi, we used to go all the time.

• hhireno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will be at the Omni Hotel.

I ran the fly-to-Houston idea by my husband and he's cool with it. I emailed my friend and she answered almost before I finished hitting send.

I need to confirm the Houston part of the trip first and then consider all your other great ideas and how to fit it all in a few days.

Thanks again. I'll be happy to have any other suggestions. It's always good to have multiple ideas and options.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

HH - it's great you'll BSA Leto squeeze in a day trip to see a friend. I hope you can take a cooking class at kalachandjis. The food was healthy but more importantly delicious! And it would be a unique Dallas experience... Oh and I can't believe I forgot the sixth floor museum.. I second what others have said a must see!

• hhireno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm back from my trip to Texas. Dallas was great. I did the art museum, arboretum, 6th Floor museum, the geo dome at reunion tower, and the science museum. I really liked the bronze sculptures in Pioneer park. My biggest disappointment was not getting to Kalachandijs. I couldn't make it happen.

We spent 2 nights Houston visiting friends. We even went to Kemah.

It's rather odd how much I've been traveling this year. I'm really looking forward to just being home, in my own bed, for a few months. Well, I say that now. We'll see how long it is until I get the urge or a chance to go someplace.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I hope the weather wasn't too horrible for you. Autumn, like spring, can feature 90-degree days or rain and wind.

• hhireno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The weather was very nice. Lovely temperatures, mostly sunny. One day was rainy off and on but I managed to walk to and from the Science museum during off periods. That was pure luck. It was windy that day, strong enough to push me along as I walked, it was actually kind of funny.

We also missed the torrential rain in Houston.

All in all, another good trip. I've been very lucky with the weather on all my travels this year.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

hH- I'm glad to read you enjoyed your vacation. Perhaps you'll be able to check out Kalachandijs the next time your husband's business brings him to Dallas. It is worth checking out!