Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Stroke or??

neetsiepie
9 years ago

Yesterday morning I woke up and thought the alarm clock was going off, but it wasn't, so I figured it was a dream. A bit later, when it DID go off, I tried to sit up in bed but couldn't. Finally was able to sit up, but then I couldn't stand or walk. I managed to make my way to the bathroom where I looked in the mirror to see if my face was sagging-the left side of my face felt weird. I also had cognitive issues-tried to add 1+1 but kept coming up with 3.

Long story short, I ended up in the ER. My BP was very high (157/95) and I was feeling numbness on my left side. Slurred speech, and vertigo, too.

An MRI and ultrasound of the carotid ateries revealed I had not had a stroke, but rather a rare form of migraine called a hemplegic migraine. Obviously I'm extremely relieved that it wasn't a stroke. But my BP was super high during this time, so I've just bought myself a BP monitor to keep an eye on it. The ringing alarm clock that wasn't was an 'aura'. I've usually gotten the aura's visually, but this time was a sonic aura.

I thought I'd just put the word out to my friends, if you have ANY reason to suspect a stroke-get it checked out. Learn about stroke symptoms-they're not always evident, like those I had, but don't take any chances. I'm really glad I got checked out! I'm feeling really wrung out today-a side effect of severe migraines is called postdrome-where you feel as if you've been hit by a truck. No energy, lethargic, and in my case, sleeping nearly 2/3 of the day away. But hoping that in a few days time I'll be back to my usual self.

Comments (19)

• bpath
    9 years ago

Wow, pesky, I am so glad to hear you got yourself medical attention right away! What a scare, and I hope your diagnosis means a good prognosis, too, with no further effects!

So timely, too, because I was just with my mom at the ER (and she is staying overnight) for high BP; 157/95 is actually good for her. She monitors her BP and takes her meds faithfully. I am going to ask her doctors about a hemplegic migraine, because the symptoms you are reporting sound familiar.

Thank you so much for telling us about it, and I am sending uplifting thoughts your way!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Pesky, did you have a headache along with your other symptoms? I'm going to bring this up with Mom's doctors, but she does not have a headache.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

what a scare, indeed it's good that it was not a stroke, thanks for the warning, and keep us posted on your improvement and well being.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I've had the phone ringing migraine several times in my life, they're not fun.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Oh my word, what a scare! Poor pesky. Thank goodness it wasn't a stroke. Take it easy for a day or so and keep an eye on your BP (but don't stress yourself into another migraine).

I've never had a sonic aura (an auditory aura is hard to say), but I do get the visual auras.

Bpathome, with my migraines sometimes I don't actually have the head pain but I do have all my usual associated symptoms and then the postdrome afterwards. I didn't know that's what it was called but I have described it as feeling like I was hit by a truck.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Holy cow, Pesky! I'm so glad that wasn't a stroke but still, what a scare. Glad you are ok and hopefully back to your usual energy. Thanks for all the warning info - just more to add to that file in my brain!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Wow! So glad you took care of yourself and now you know what it is. And do get that bp under control...that's very high and can lead to stroke. Yikes!

And thank you for educating us. I'd not heard of this before, tho I have had the ocular migraines with the visual auras. GF suffers with frequent migraines and I know how nasty they can be.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I'm so glad it was not a stroke and you are going to be OK. Thanks for filling us in on this. I just read another symptom of stroke is to have the person stick out their tongue...if it skews to the side that is also a sign. Take care of yourself!

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I am so sorry this happened to you. You had a lot of presence of mind to evaluate yourself in the condition and then do something about it.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Wow. Scary. How did you get to the hospital? I am so glad it was not a stroke. I know there are some tests you can do if you think you or someone else is having a stroke. It's called FAST.
    F - does the Face droop on one side? A = if raising their Arms, does one slip down? S = Speech is slurred and T = Time -- get help fast. I also read that you should ask the person to stick pout their tongue and if they are having a stroke the tongue will pull to one side. Probably best to just call 911 right away rather than waste time testing them!

So glad it was nothing worse for you and that you will be your old self soon. I mean your young self.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bpath, I had a minor headache, not like the usual migraine I get. Later on, as the day progressed it got worse, but initially there was no serious headache.

Definitely speak with the HCP. I'd never had an MRI, but I guess that is the only way to determine for sure that there is no bleeding on the brain-which means stroke.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

Yikes!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Glad it wasn't a stroke. Good excuse to take it easy for a bit until your BP is lower! Don't mean just lying around-walking may help with that, too. Do things you enjoy and find relaxing.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

How scary! I'm happy it wasn't a stroke and I appreciate you sharing your findings here.

• teacats
    9 years ago

So thankful that your horrible scare was not a stroke -- but do take very good care of yourself (and your high blood pressure)

Thank you for letting us know all of this -- always good to have more information!

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

When my daughter was 12 she had a migraine like that. Couldn't use one arm, when she spoke the words were all mixed up and wrong, etc. My first thought was stroke, and I called our pediatrician who said it sounded like a migraine. I had never heard of a migraine like that before.
    Thankfully, it only happened again once more, and that was when my daughter was a senior in high school and was working on finishing her senior paper that she needed to turn in the next morning. I ended up taking her to the ER so that they could give her a shot to quickly end the migraine. I remember while we were sitting in the waiting room my daughter was very quiet, and after a while she asked me "Mom, those things we put on our feet - are they called socks?" She had been sitting there quietly trying to remember that simple word.
    I was worried that when she went away to college in the fall that it would happen again, and she wouldn't be able to explain what was going on and that people would assume that she was on drugs, but fortunately she hasn't had another episode in the last 10 years.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Wow, Pesky, that is scary. We had a student in our dept. where this happened to her in English class and she had to go to the ER. It was a migraine.

There are some emerging studies that link migraine with aura with increased stroke risk, so it is something to probably discuss with your HCP. I know someone who had this happen.

I have "white coat" hypertension and monitor my BP at home. The home monitors are pretty good. Try to get the arm one vs. the wrist one, but make sure your cuff is the right size if your arm is large or small because that will affect the readings.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Glad to hear it was not a stroke and thank you for the public education message!

While it seems like my full-time work these days is building a house, my real job is emergency medicine, so I have a couple of comments.

If you think you may be having a stroke (sudden onset difficulty speaking, moving arms/legs, facial droop, or dizziness) -- please call 911.

Paramedics can notify the hospital (before you get there) they have a ''stroke alert'' pt - so you can be taken directly to radiology for a CT scan. This can save a lot of time. Minutes absolutely make a difference in the effectiveness of treatment for stroke.

Risk factors for stroke include hypertension, smoking and diabetes.

At times differentiating stroke from migraine can even be difficult for a neurologist so please don't try to do it yourself.

Thank you.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Wow! I had never heard of that type of migraine so thank you for educating us. So glad you didn't have a stroke, but do take care of yourself.

I too have occasional migraines, almost all of which are brought on by weather systems. I don't have high blood pressure, thankfully, and never have. Mdln offers some great advice. I know of a couple of people who have had strokes recently, and immediate diagnosis and care is key.