Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
springroz

Scammers....

springroz
9 years ago

We are afraid DH's lovely aunt is in the clutches of a scammer. Yesterday, I was going to ask if anyone was familiar, but DH was busy on. Google, and it is fairly well confirmed.

She was married at 14, and widowed about 15-20 years ago. Until a couple of years ago, I don't think she had any "romantic" interests at all. She was the object of some attention from an old coot, and was thrilled to have attention, but he wanted a companion who would pay her own way, and not touch one Penny of his. She figured this out after 2 years, and apparently, this relationship gave her the confidence to sign up for some dating website.

Last weekend ,DH stopped for a visit on his way through her town. She showed him a picture of her new "boyfriend" , standing in front of his yacht, then one of him with his sports car. " He's MINE", she told him. "We may be getting married, when he gets back from Africa." He told her he is in Africa, buying antique furniture, has a 5 year old daughter, lost his wife to cancer a couple of years ago, and loves older women. Wants a mother for his daughter. Insatiable sexual appetite. Etc., etc.

This is apparently a fairly common dating web scam, and she fell, hook, line and sinker. We think she may have sent him some money, but she doesn't have much, so he won't get too far with that.

I just thought I would let you all know, if you are on a dating site, be careful.

Nancy

Comments (7)

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Help her asap. Don't laugh, but I watch Dr. Phil, lol, and yes, it IS a scam and there's a name to it which I can't remember.

It occurs on dating websites. I'm assuming your aunt has never met the man in person? She never will.

What they do is download pictures they find on facebook and use them as their own pictures. They talk on the phone but can never be seen in person. They make up all sorts of stories as to why they need money. From being in an accident and insurance won't pay yet to all sorts of pity poor me excuses. They make the women feel beautiful with their oh so romantic words in email and on the phone.

The men are from another country, like the Middle East, and they do this to many women at a time. Some women have lost their homes to them.

Good luck!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

It's called cat-fishing. I hope she isn't in this financially even if she doesn't have much to entice him. It's a horrible feeling to know you've been duped emotionally and being duped financially just adds to that sense of having been foolish and needy.

• springroz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DH sent her the links.... I hope she recognizes the pattern for herself, because we all know love is blind!

Cat fishing? Wonder how it got that name? I agree it hurts. She told DH she had a copy of some paper from customs, so we are hoping he didn't ask her to help him get something through.

I wonder if she should change her cell #. Goodness only knows what info he has.

Thanks!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Good luck getting her to stop this immediately. I hope she hasn't charged anything on credit cards, etc. Even though she 'doesn't have much', she could have advanced him money via credit cards and the perp could be scamming those too. Please help her be overly cautious on this one! If you live nearby, can you ask someone like an investigator from the local police department to talk with her with you or your DH present?

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Dr. Phil has had several episodes on this...perhaps you can find them on his website or other sites and have her watch them. One woman lost her entire life savings...it is so sad.

Your DH's aunt may not have much, but if she has good credit he could talk her into taking out loans.

Any man truly interested in a woman is going to make every attempt to spend time with her. Please stay involved and try to get her to realize it is a scam.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

If she doesn't take your or your husband's word that this guy is a scammer, find a cop or minister who will talk to her.

How old is she? Someone needs to protect her and her finances.

• springroz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone! She is in her 70's. She lives down in MS, so not close. My MIL lives with her, and her 40-something mentally disabled son is living with them while his 'village' is being remodeled.

I am SO glad she said something to DH, before this got TOO far. I need to call her son and get her daughter's number, so she can be informed. She lives very close to her, maybe she can alert someone!!

Nancy