Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

Fire flies in VA...

User
10 years ago

Tonight is our last night in the Shenandoah Valley. We have been renting a 600 sq ft restored kitchen/ cottage for the month of June. What an adventure . We wanted to be near our DS1 , DIL, Grand baby. It has been so wonderful . We have biked and biked ...all the roads within reach in Rockbridge Ct. I went to the DOT and got a map and DH and I have had a time. Hills...and more hills. At night it was just the two of us out here , seven miles from town on a 10 acre,former fox hunting property, dating from 1790. We watch the fire flies...we talk...and listen...and think.

Then I said to DH...what if we were to try and rent this again....? Nah...you can't go home again. It is what it is. So unspeakably wonderful.

The best thing is that DS1 and DIL and grand baby are moving home ! Yes...mid July they will be 10 minutes away...not 10 hrs. New job...new adventures ! So maybe...you can...come home...again....with changes...and editing...:) stay tuned. c

Comments (13)

• mom2girls_2008
    10 years ago

Sounds wonderful! And having your family move back home is even more wonderful :))

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

what amazing news, being close to your family !!

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

What wonderful news - I am so happy for you. Sometimes the stars align and and good things happen. I feel blessed that all 3 of mine are currently living about 15 minutes away - they're all in the same zip code too. And what's even nicer is that they actually 'hang out' together. I texted DD last night to thank her for weeding my garden while we were away and she replied that she was at a soccer game with her brother and they were waiting for the fireworks to start.

Hope you son and his family have an uneventful move!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Great news!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Oh yes, hills! There is nowhere flat in that region of VA! Really, if you can ride there, you can ride anywhere. I miss it because I was a pretty good rider when I lived there.

Great news that they are moving closer to you!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

How wonderful for you!

• springroz
    10 years ago

So we will never get to eat at that cool place DSIL has? Dang it!!! Is he going to a similar place? I believe your home is much closer to mine than VA....

Glad you had a great time, and wonderful news that thay will be closer!!

Nancy

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Trail, how wonderful! It sounds like a wonderful trip and congratulations on getting your family back home and close.

Tonight I will imagine your cottage and biking trip and hope I can have a similar trip one day!

Beth P.

• User
    10 years ago

Yippee! I know how wonderful it is to have the chicks all nestled close to you. Wishing you lots of lovely times together!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mom2girls : Yes it is wonderful ! We just got back and got our truck unloaded...what a job. We brought some of their stuff with us too. DIL and grand baby went to Canada this AM and DS1 will stay in Lexington till July 13th. She will come back in time for them to move here with DS's sous chef driving the truck for them.

mitch we are so pleased. It has been 5 yrs since they were close by.

maire-cate...that is how mine are when they live near each other but it has been a while. DS2 is in FL but is coming home in Sept for a little family reunion so that is great...DD is in Atlanta so close enough. Your family sounds lovely..you are indeed lucky.

thank you ellendi!!

gs...we were down a dirt road a couple miles. One direction was killer hills and the other was flat...we alternated our routes out ;) Everything else was HILLS...we took our bikes up on the Blue Ridge Pkwy and rode a ways...what a challenge. I have planned to do the whole thing but may rethink that LOL. 50,000 feet of climb if you do the whole thing ..amazing. Thank you !

Thank you Annie !!

Nancy I will link to the new place below. It is called Acre. It is in Auburn and will open in Sept. DS1 will be doing the charcuterie and all the butcher work. This is what he has wanted to specialize in for some time. Now he will get the chance. He is very pleased. He will be taking an active role in teaching the new assistants how to prepare the meats and also a lot of menu planning. He is a great teacher and is looking forward to that too. No time as a chef anymore...but you can still come and taste his creations. Thank you !!

Thank you Beth ! We sure are going to miss those amazing fire flies and the incredible quiet. How dark it was at night and the stars...it was so special.

If you scroll down on the linked Facebook page there is a nice intro to what DS1 does , it is on the right side June8th. Thank you everyone! It is so nice to come here and share and read what others are doing and thinking and celebrating. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Acre restaurant Auburn AL

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I forgot to mention the fireflies have been amazing here, too. They really put on a show every night. Giant kitty goes crazy.

The restaurant seems totally fabulous! Congrats to DS1!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you gs !! We have nothing here like the ff's up there. We watched the slow progression from early dusk at grass level to full dark and in the tree tops ! Like sparklers. Also they flash so fast up there...ours here are few, due to the spray for mosquitoes which kills them , and they flash slow.....must be the Southern thing :) Glad you liked the write up about Acre. I am sure it is going to interesting to watch . c

• natesgram
    10 years ago

Grandbaby 10 minutes vs. 10 hours...priceless!!!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations