Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

Turmeric , anyone take a supplement

Lyban zone 4
10 years ago

I keep hearing that this spice is very good for all that ails you, including arthritis,digestive problems etc etc..
Anyone here take it or know about it.

Comments (11)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Much info about turmeric in this thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: pycnogenol

• deegw
    10 years ago

Based on the information in the thread that writersblock linked, I started giving it to my 16 yo daughter. She's a competitive swimmer and has a hip issue. Over the past few years we have spent thousands of dollars trying to fix it. Since I started giving her turmeric about 4 months ago, she hasn't had any problems.

I originally started giving her turmeric for her asthma. It seems better but the improvement is not as dramatic as the hip.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turmeric on Amazon

• rilie
    10 years ago

My cousin is fighting stage IV ovarian cancer (so far, successfully) and she takes turmeric religiously. I can't explain why exactly but I've seen her mention it many times on FB. She's very nutrition & fitness conscious, believing "you are what you eat".... very open to alternative/herbal/natural treatments & remedies, VERY careful with her diet, takes no narcotics, etc.. All of this is in conjunction with her chemo and consultation with her oncologist. Whatever she's doing is helping - they told her in February 2010 she'd be lucky if she saw Christmas that year.... and just ran in the local Relay for Life lastnight.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Dee that's amazing! It's not surprising to hear anymore.

Notes: The other thread mentions it needs to be in something hot and oily. I've also come across it needing to be used with black pepper for absorption.

I wish we would get away from the idea of needing to put/take all these natural remedies in pill form. That sure is ingrained! Once they are processed, companies intervene, China gets involved, I question we are getting the same micro/nutrients and benefits as in their natural form. I also worry about what they are adding or using to process them. Who would have thought formaldehyde would be used to decaffeinate coffee.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 14:00

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I always check WebM.D. to check things out. Read below what it says about turmeric.

Here is a link that might be useful: turmeric

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

snookums I think at least one of the reasons natural remedies are put in pill form is because it's difficult if not impossible to ingest enough to have a medicinal impact otherwise. That's especially true if you are treating more than one ailment or working to prevent more than one common health issue.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

That is probably true a lot of the time, dlm. I came across this while looking:

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Yes, but if you look at the article linked in my post in the other thread, the researcher from Johns Hopkins recommends 1/4 tsp! More is not always better.

This post was edited by writersblock on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 13:44

• Vertise
    10 years ago

You are so right, writersblock. That's another reason I don't like taking the pills. Why do we need 400% recommended daily allowance of something? Or 1000%?

Then there are the additives. I'm doing the Virgin elimination diet which eliminates corn (watch supplements for additives!). But using maltodextrin is common. Yesterday, trying to avoid the maltodextrin, the other tumeric used magnesium stearate. Of course, there is controversy on that being a toxic substance!

A lot of these things do go back to ancient medicine. I don't think they had the option to concentrate as we do today but used in natural forms.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

I cook with turmeric and we probably consume 1/4 to 1 tsp as a family each day. I use it when cooking curries and such. In India, where turmeric use is highest (and Alzheimer's incidence is lowest), turmeric is considered excellent for fighting against germs and it is said that a bit of heat and oil is required to activate it's potency. So turmeric was always cooked for internal consumption. I remember that as a child, my grandma would give me warm milk boiled with a pinch of turmeric, pepper and honey whenever I had a bad throat. Every time someone got a bit of extra sun, a home made cooling mask with channa dal flour, plain yogurt, turmeric and honey was applied.

• kiki_thinking
    10 years ago

Dee, I'm very glad the turmeric worked for your daughter's hip and somewhat for her allergies.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm