Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_thrifty

clotheswise what do you stow away, give away, and why

ms-thrifty
10 years ago

I re-arragned my closet, cleaned up top shelves, and opened storage bins that hadn't been opened in a long time. Found a lovely maxi skirt I bought at a boutique about 20+ years ago, a black beaded purse DH bought me when we went on a love boat cruse in 1980 something, the lace skirt to a 2 piece long dress I bought maybe 10 years ago, and a pair of Calvin Kline jeans I hadn't worn in maybe 2 or 3 years. I love the maxi skirt, almost never wore it back then (can't remember why), will take the purse when we go to the convention for the Saturday nite dress up, The long lace skirt is ivory, and I will be wearing it as I just found similar on pinterest. I remember the top to it got a bit tight across the bust so must have given it to goodwill or something. And I have been wearing the jeans for 2 days now and love them.
So glad I kept these things. It is like getting new clothes.
Not sure why I kept these things, but sure glad I did.

Comments (6)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Nice...sometimes they say the best shopping trip is to shop your closet. There's lots of stuff in there that's good and hasn't been worn in a long time. So glad you found pieces that can be put to good use.

I went through recently to trash stuff out and am now refilling it with modern pieces that fit my lifestyle that also blend well with the "oldies but goodies". It's nice having a more effective wardrobe.

Of course, I know that now that I've finally trashed all those clothes with shoulder pads from the 80s, they'll be coming back!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Annie, they never come back quite the way they used to be. But then again, maybe some things can be considered vintage?
    I just organized my clothes too. I found a few pairs of capris with the tags still on. I think I bought them at the end of the season.
    I read once that you should think about demoting your clothing. Tops that were once worn to work but are dated or worn looking can still be good to wear around the house.
    I start shifting my clothes and if i don't get back to them in three years, I give them away.
    After a while the styles (and our bodies) change, things look too short or too tight.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I give very little away, unless it's to a friend type of thing, as most things get worn. I do the different categories and have about five different levels. The only items I will give away or consign are dressy clothes that can't be worn around the house or items way too big. A very nice but too large velvet blazer I will send to a consignment shop, for instance. Or a maxi dress...

Casual pants that are too big but not way too big I cut off and make shorts for around the house/gardening.

I have yet to experience anything I've had packed away for years to still look as stylish as new...there is always something different and my body changes too.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

For clothing we try to put one item away for donations per every new item bought. I usually give my nicer clothes to a divorced gal with kids down the road. She isnâÂÂt exactly poor but there is not much money left for her after bills and kids. SheâÂÂs great because she takes only what is needed and passes the rest on to others in need or makes a donation to her church. The gal usually leaves a note in my mail box stating where the rest went and a thank you. Due to my casual lifestyle my dressy clothes have little wear but do not wear well on my changing figure. I donâÂÂt want to keep them so long as to become outdated and where they are of no use to someone else. My husband donates his clothing to a few different charities or a particular individual. Sometimes we do a drop off at goodwill. A few times I left a big bundle out near the road with a sign that says âÂÂtake meâÂÂ. I do this on a day when there are several Guatemalan lawn maintenance people next door. There are always a few items I have a hard time letting go of though⦠but I must as I am moving. I will never sell clothes in a garage sale again; last time (several years ago) I was ripped off with a do you have a bag trick. I will give but you canâÂÂt take!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

jterrilyn what a nice idea!

I do not keep clothes for years. I know me and I know that I will probably not wear it again after that time. I do have a few special items (sentimental value) that are kept and put away. Probably 5 or less items.

I've never sold/consigned any item of clothing. When we go through our closets things are either designated as "work clothes", rag-bag/trash or donations. We have a Goodwill satellite location at our trash/recycle center and we donate to that or to a local church clothing closet.

When my mom passed away, my sister and I went through all her clothing and packed it up for dad to take to a local women's half-way house. When my pappaw and FIL passed away (both wore suits, etc. for their jobs), we donated clothing to a school just over the TN/KY line that takes these items for students in training to become preachers.

tina

• yayagal
    10 years ago

When I switch from season to season and clean out, I discard anything I haven't worn and give it to someone or bring it to goodwill. I don't like having a lot of clothing. Seven shirts, seven pants, seven jackets etc. that's all anyone needs. I only use a color palate of five colors that work together to maximize the use of the items. The reason for this is I dislike shopping intensely. When I see something I want I buy it. I only have one closet for my apparel and it's a small walk in. Now my husband, on the other hand, has every outfit he ever wore lol, it's like a museum.