Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancybee_2010

Only, oldest, middle, youngest?

nancybee_2010
11 years ago

I am a middle, and have classic middle child traits: insecure, shy, but also a diplomat/peacemaker.

Which are you and do you have the typical traits that you're supposed to have?

Comments (34)

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

I'm the baby, by far!

I took this quiz that predicts birth order, and it correctly guessed I was the fourth born! Amazing.

Here is a link that might be useful: birth order quiz

• golddust
    11 years ago

I am the youngest. Funny, Stinky, I took the quiz three times and it kept saying I was an only child. I changed my answers each time while trying to be honest. None of the answers seemed to fit me.

• JennaVaNowSC
    11 years ago

Same here, Golddust.... I am the youngest of three, but the quiz told me I am an only child. haha

• polly929
    11 years ago

Told me I was an only child too. I'm the oldest of 3.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I am a middle, but my older sister is disabled, so in many ways, I was the oldest.

I took the quiz, Stinky, and it said I was an oldest child. Fun, although some questions were hard and I would have combined answers!

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

Got it right for me, I'm the oldest.
    Lynn

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Great quiz, Stinky! I didn't think it could possibly be accurate with so few questions but it got mine right.
    I am a first born but separated by five years plus from my two siblings so qualify as having first born characteristics.
    I don't think I do ...but maybe I do indeed.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I'm the fourth child...of only three. ;o)

• User
    11 years ago

I am the second oldest out of 5. When I took the test it first said I was an only child then I retook it with answers that were equally applicable and it said I was the third child.

Did anyone take any of the other tests? I did and none of them came out the way I thought they would either.

The site is still fun to toy with though, thanks for linking it Stinky.

• User
    11 years ago

Bumblebeez, my older sister is five years older than me too. She was really upset when I was born, which isn't unusual considering how long she had been an only child, but I'm curious, were you upset when your siblings were born?

• sis3
    11 years ago

My younger sibling is 13 years my junior so for those years I was the youngest, before becoming the middle of 3.

• camlan
    11 years ago

I'm the third oldest of seven. But I'm the oldest girl, which I think makes a difference. My parents would rely on me to babysit and do chores where they wouldn't trust my older brothers.

I took the quiz and it said I was the fourth child, which isn't too far off. I was the middle kid for a long time though. There's a big gap in years and then my youngest two siblings were a big surprise! Both a surprise pregnancy and surprise! Twins!

• texanjana
    11 years ago

The quiz said I was an only child, too. I am the youngest of 3, but the only girl.

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

I'm right in the middle of a brother who is three years older and a sister who is four years younger. My brother and sister were both handfuls for different reasons and I was the easygoing happy kid who would tell it like it is. Somethings never change!

I thought that a few of the questions were applicable to me so I took the test using one set of answers then took it again using another set. Both times it said I was the second born.

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

The quiz said I was an only child, which is true. I am sure I have many of the typical only child characteristics, whatever they are! However, my parents went out of their way to not "spoil" me in a material way, both because they didn't have a lot of money and because I think they were being careful not to turn me into what they perceived as the typical only child who got everything she wanted. They wanted more kids but it just didn't work out. They never questioned it, but found out many years later that my mother had very bad endometriosis that was never diagnosed. I sometimes wonder what life would have been like with siblings!

• emagineer
    11 years ago

Mine said 4th and am an only child.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

I tested as an only child but I am the oldest of 3, we are all 5 years apart,
    I am the only girl though.

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

I took it twice, changing my answers on two questions where there was more than one answer that suited me. On both tests, it placed me in the wrong spot. I'm the middle child of three, oldest girl - my brother is four years older and my sister is three years younger. I'm not sure what this quiz is based on, but having read The New Birth Order and other articles/books about birth order, I seem to fit typically in with what is considered "middle child syndrome." While I've always felt some favoritism from my father (mainly b/c we are very much alike), I definitely feel the middle child syndrome when it comes to my mother. I attributed to the fact that my brother, the oldest, was the only boy in the family and had a special spot in my mom's heart, and the fact that my sister, adopted and the youngest, also had a special place in my heart. My mom still to this day places extra attention on my sister to ensure that she doesn't feel left out, etc. Eh, I should shut up now or my middle child whining will come out!

So the survey showed me as an only child the first time and the youngest child (or something like that) the second time.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

I tested as an only but I'm the 4th of 6. But...I'm the only girl, and....the two youngest db's are 6 and 7 years younger than me. I'm confused.

• sheesh
    11 years ago

Deedee, you are a rose among thorns, like me! Except my four brothers are all younger than I.

I tested as an only, too and all five of us are squeezed into 9 years, no twins.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Luk, I meant to say I have the characteristics of an only child but when my brothers came along, I don't remember that much about them. I was five years older and had my own world.
    I am close to my youngest brother now though.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Wow! Glad many of you enjoyed taking the quiz...even though the accuracy level seems to be questionable, lol! All in fun!

Nancy, great thread topic (as usual!) Birth order does play a large role in shaping our personalities.

Sherrmann, I like that...a rose among thorns!

• dedtired
    11 years ago

I'm a middle. I wrote a paper on the effect of birth order when I was in college. I have the worst position -- middle child, second of the same sex (I had an older sister) followed by a younger child of the opposite sex.

This means I am not special by being the oldest, nor the first of my sex and the baby is also special because he is the baby and also the first of his sex. Sometimes I think it's all a bunch of bunk because families are all different.

I do have a lot of traits of a middle child, though.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

emagineer, I, too am an only and tested as the fourth. I've never read about 4th child's traits anywhere.

I have some very typical only traits...I love my solitude, I'm a great problem solver (no one to help you figure things out), & I always related well to my elders but now I am one. And I've made a place for myself (or they have welcomed me in) to several wonderful, large families over the years. I love the chaos and camaraderie of large families - even if they don't all get along. I love observing the dynamics of it all.

Stereotypical only, I do love getting my way, if it's something I care a great deal about.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Youngest. Unexpected.

Court Jester.

• User
    11 years ago

BBZ, ok, we were all girls so that may have played a part in it to. Thanks for responding.

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

It pegged me as a 4th born. I am a 4th born. With the exception of career traits which were a bit mixed, it described me to a T. Pretty amazing.

• nancybee_2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, stinky! I tested as an only (I'm a middle)

Wasn't Jan a middle? :)

• mjlb
    11 years ago

I also took the test twice because could answer a couple of questions differently. Each time said I am an only child, but I'm actually the youngest -- seem like that happened quite a bit amongst this group.

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

I'm an oldest, but that test pegged me first as a 4th born, next as an only and the 3rd time (picking the most obvious for my birth order) was a first born, but the description is totally not me.

I'm a typical first born: the high achiever, orderly, controlling and a herder. There is 23 months between my brother and I, but almost 7 years between my sister and I.

• hhireno
    11 years ago

I am #4 out of 6, with a sister, brother, sister older and 2 younger sisters. The first 4 were born within 6 years, then a 6 year break, then the last 2. We are very lucky that we all get along fabulously and have great fun together.

I've mentioned this before but they refer to me as The Link - as the middle sister it is my job to keep everybody informed about what's going on in the family. It's a pleasure not a burden.

The quiz said I was an oldest. I didn't retake that quiz but did taking many of the other silly ones. I didn't learn anything of value, except I like to waste time taking silly quizzes.

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

My brother and I are both only children. At least that's how we see it, since he's almost twelve years younger than I am. I graduated high school in June and he started first grade that fall!

The quiz had me as an only child, too. But there were some questions I didn't like any of the answers and had to fudge.

• sheesh
    11 years ago

You know, hhireno, I have six kids, and it is my fourth who is the link among the kids. He talks to everybody all the time, keeping everyone in the loop. He is the third of three boys...g, b, b, b, g, g. They are spread over 16 1/2 years, similar to you and your sibs.

It is one of our greatest pleasures that all six of them love and enjoy each other, have independent relationships with us and each other, and that their kids are enjoying their cousins, aunts and uncles.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I am a first born of 6. The age difference between myself and the youngest is 8 years. Yep, 6 kids in 8 years.

My Dad was an only and my mom only had 1 brother who is 8 years younger. They decided they wanted lots of kids very quickly.

I too, am orderly, controlling and a herder. The controlling part I have let go.