Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amj0517

Help me choose a plant

amj0517
10 years ago

I know many of you are gardeners, so I'm looking for some direction. We would like to plant something climbing to cover the support posts of our deck. We have a walkout basement and the deck is from the main level of the home. We're in zone 5b and the deck is on the southwest corner of the house. Lots of afternoon sun.

We purchased a trumpet vine, but now that I've read about it I am afraid that it will take over and start growing between the deck boards. Is there something better?

If the trumpet vine is okay to use how do we "train" it to grow up the post? That is, do we need a trellis or will it just wrap itself around the posts? I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but the posts are covered will the maintenance-free decking material (will a climbing vine stick to this?).

Thanks!! I'm looking forward to your responses.

Comments (14)

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

It may be different in various areas of the US, but I'm in Texas, and planting a Trumpet Vine has been, hands down, the worst planting mistake I've ever made.

The first year was fine, I loved it, and scoffed at those who had warned me. Now, years later, I'm living The Trumpet Vine Nightmare.

Shoots pop up EVERYWHERE. And not just my yard, but everyone near me. I have to pluck it from all my flower beds on a daily basis....I'm convinced it grows several feet per night, laughing at me.

Nothing kills this monster. I cut it to the ground every winter, and put every toxin known to man on the stumps. It seems to just make it stronger, and I weep silently as I see the new shoots every spring.

It's truly the vine from h***. However, I've heard it's not as invasive up north? I don't know. Just seeing the name makes my palms sweat.

I would go to a local nursery (not the big box stores) and ask for recommendations, something not invasive. And I'm sure you'll get great suggestions here, too.

Good luck. :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We have honey suckle...

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

Annie, beautiful picture ... is that a Coral Honeysuckle? If so, one of my all-time favorite vines. I had them at our previous home, and it's what I should have put on my arbor here, instead of that Trumpet monster.

• amj0517
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our local nursery said it was more invasive than clematis, but they didn't elaborate. If they had we probably would have passed. I've read that it does well climbing up a tree (far from the home structures). Perhaps we will move it to another area of the yard and let it do its thing!

Annie - I like the honeysuckle. Do you have anything on the post to help it grow, or is it climbing on its own? Also, what region are you in? We're in SE Michigan.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm not sure...the landscaper put it in so I didn't buy it myself. But it does a great job of attacting humming birds....It does need to be stapled though to keep it growing up...it doesn't naturally climb.

The other post has a climbing hydrangea on it, but it doesn't seem to climb like it should....I think I'll have to staple that one too.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Clematis or star jasmine may be good choices as well. Wisteria is destroying my girlfriend's deck. It may be worse than a trumpet vine that grew over one of my houses.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Clematis or star jasmine may be good choices as well. Warning: Wisteria is destroying my girlfriend's deck. It may be far worse than a trumpet vine that grew over one of my houses.

• daisyinga
    10 years ago

I like clematis (NOT sweet autumn clematis) , confederate jasmine and carolina jasmine. I also like noninvasive honeysuckle like Annie has. Also climbing roses, but NOT Lady Banks or any huge barn-covering climbing rose.

I wouldn't plant ivy, trumpet vine, sweet autumn clematis, NO NO NO silver lace vine, no invasive honeysuckle or wisteria. I have been fighting a pitched battle with sweet autumn clematis for 10 years.

I have a lovely lanuginosa candida clematis that is absolutely gorgeous, but it is not evergreen.

I love vines. Happy planting!

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

My Sweet Autumn clematis is about 15 years old - I just cut it back to about 1-2 feet tall every year.

• daisyinga
    10 years ago

Sweet autumn clematis vines keep cropping up all over my yard where I didn't plant them. I think they self-seed. It's a lovely plant, but I hate it.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Don't choose Wisteria ... another plant from hell!!! It was a lot of hard work to get it off of a pergola and we were only able to kill it by filling the planter area with cement! Very messy plant that drops leaves, flowers and exploding seed pods. Birds also seem to like the flowers and then dropped purple poop all over our patio.

We planted several Star Jasmine and it seems to be a pretty well behaved plant so far!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I love wisteria but have seen it destroy even metal trellis. Ours is growing over our stone wall which seems to stand up to it. Our neighbors live on a hill and a curve so the town put in that ugly metal cable and bracket barrier. They planted the wisteria on it and now the road guard looks lovely.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I vote for clematis, too. The flowers are so spectacular and it is well behaved. Another one to stay away from is perennial Morning Glory vine. You will spend the rest of your life pulling that sucker off everything. I'm sure you are smart enough not to plant ivy, either. Ivy will eat your house.

• dawn25
    10 years ago

We have star jasmine and it's a dream plant. Not invasive, looks great year round, smells heavenly. It's evergreen here in USDA Zone 9a (we do get hard freezes). We have it growing on our garage and yard wall, and it hasn't damaged the stucco at all (we've used ties to keep it up). I recommend it to everyone who needs a vine or groundcover. Our neighbors had something that died back during one of our cold spells, so we recommended it to them because I swear it looked even better after the freeze. They were quite happy with it as well.