Pushing Christmas

Danahills
9 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 19:50

Comments (26)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Maybe eventually it'll wrap around and they'll start at tgiving like they used to...

• Danahills
    Original Author
    9 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 19:52

• deegw
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh, that is my pet peeve. It is especially galling because HL promotes themselves as a family values, Christian store. I guess over commercializing the birth of Jesus is okay though.

I actually complained to the manager of our local store a few years ago. He said they put the stuff out early for crafters. That excuse seemed a bit flimsy to me.

Hopping off the soap box!

• littleonefb
    9 years ago

I've never been inside a Hobby Lobby store, none where I live, but I thought they where a craft store.

Being a crafter myself, doing lots of craft shows from fall into December, I appreciate any and all holiday supplies available year round to work on.

IMHO, all craft stores should have areas in their stores set up with holiday supplies year round.

He said they put the stuff out early for crafters. That excuse seemed a bit flimsy to me.

That isn't a flimsy excuse, it's courtesy to their customers that are working year round on making handmade Christmas gifts.

Needlepoint, cross stitch, crocheting, knitting, these items can take months and months to make and the ability to purchase the materials, the patterns, the kits to start is a welcome and wonderful opportunity.
    Otherwise, many of us that make many, if not all, gifts would be a year behind in making gifts.

That being said, any other stores can keep their holiday merchandise out of site till around the time of the holiday.

I do not need to see mass amounts of Halloween merchandise mixed in with the school supplies, or Christmas trees and ornaments out and on display in Sept.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

I really dislike it, too. Last year I asked the manager of our local HL why they brought out holiday items so darn early. His answer was that it was to supply all the crafting enthusiasts who start planning and making their decorations early for the upcoming holidays.
    (LOL!) I can only speak for myself, but the VERY LAST thing I'm thinking about in June, July, August, September or October are Christmas decorations! I start thinking and planning around the first of November, but never put anything up until after Thanksgiving.
    Did I mention how much I dislike walking into Hobby Lobby in July????
    Lynn

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

For HL or Michaels to put out this stuff does make sense for crafters who do shows and must begin making their items for the fall shows. But if I walk into a Target and see Christmas decorations in June I would have a problem with it. I do remember the days when you saw no Christmas stuff until after Thanksgiving...that's how it should be.

• deegw
    9 years ago

littleonefb, the reason I find the excuse to be flimsy is that a majority of the Christmas items are not used by crafters. If they confined crafter's items to a small portion of the store or made things available online, that would be fine. Instead, HL starts hustling Christmas to every shopper that comes in the store six months before the actual holiday. It's crazy.

• Danahills
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 19:55

• tinam61
    9 years ago

jstell - many people would use those items in crafting. I don't often go into Hobby Lobby, but I now alot of people who craft that do. And why it might not make sense to me and you to even be thinking about Christmas decorations, I know people who are working (as we speak LOL!) on items for a huge craft festival to be held in the fall. If someone makes a large number of decorations, etc. they can't wait till the seasonal time of the year to start working on those items. Hustling? In my area, I don't see HL commercials or anything. I think they have a small ad in the Sunday newspaper. I don't see how they are hustling just because they are stocking the items.

I do notice when I go in a store if the decorations are already out, but honestly, I don't let it bother me. If I don't want to buy something, I don't. It's just not that big of a deal to me.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

Honestly, I don't ever remember a time when Hobby Lobby didn't do that. They sell it because people do buy it.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I agree with littleone. The sooner I find Christmas decor and supplies the better. If the stores wait until November/December there will be no time to do the crafts, or collect certain items for displays in case they sell out early.

Now Christmas Carols? That's a whole different story. lol

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

This is why I shop primarily online. I can get what I want when I want it.

Our local Target brings out their fall/winter clothing in July, and hey - you can buy a swimsuit in early February! Gah.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Gosh, and I was depressed when I walked into Michaels yesterday and saw all their fall colours out. Summer only started on Saturday.

If I had seen their Christmas stuff (I may have missed that aisle) I would have run screaming.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Most of the craft bazaars around here are in late October/early November. I have to work all year to get enough product ready to sell so I appreciate having access to holiday materials year-round. I'm working on Christmas stockings right now.

• Danahills
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 19:58

• User
    9 years ago

I admit it.... I'm a pusher.... already planning Christmas décor for new basement... ..

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

I understand about crafters, and that stores are all about making money, but I dislike such early displays too. I think it takes away that special, once a year feeling of Christmas and makes some people kind of sick and tired of it before it even comes.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I detest early, flagrant displays. While I appreciate crafters and those who participate in fall craft shows do need those supplies early enough to work their craft, it is getting way over the top. There should be a way to provide what is needed without in-your-face Christmas displays this early. Yes, I occasionally like to purchase some things early, but when everyone seemingly takes the attitude that we MUST BUY IT NOW OR IT WILL BE GONE, then the retailers are really just making us believe it is so and perpetuating that idea. A vicious cycle.

A few years back, I was looking for Christmas bows a couple of weeks before Christmas in HL. I sadly came to the reality that I was shopping way too late. What a downer.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Hasn't retail always been out of step with the actual seasons, though? Even when I was a child, the wool and heavyweight clothes hit the stores in July and August and swim suits seemed to show up around Easter.

I grew up in Texas and I remember being excited and wanting to wear my new clothes when school started. Unfortunately, it was still 100 degrees in late August, so we couldn't wear them as they were more appropriate for autumn and winter.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I can understand putting out Christmas crafts and supplies to make decorative items to use or sell, but when you put out premade decorations and trees this early? It's just plain wrong.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Stores would not be using up display space if consumers weren't buying the products displayed.

ML

• User
    9 years ago

Fun2BHere is right about the lack of sync between seasons and retailers. You can get a bathing suit right before Christmas in a resort wear collection, but come May 15 there's usually one sad rack of the leftovers.

• User
    9 years ago

I suppose I understand the crafting angle. I do find it frustrating though if you want Christmas items you need to buy it early or there will be nothing left by the the time the season is finally here.

I do dislike seeing swimsuits, etc. out in Feb. Ahem, Target. Same thing applies here, you have to shop for the stuff super early if you don't want the leftovers.

Since people buy the stuff I don't see them stopping anytime soon. More money.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I think you're right Fun2Here about retail being pushy with the other seasons. And yes, swimsuits are out on display here in Feb, but our schools have Spring Break in mid-March so it is not unusual to see warm weather wear at all that time of year. I guess that could depend on the part of the country. Swimsuits are still alive and well this time of year too. Again, it's the retail mentality that if it's there, people will buy it. I just don't think all the Christmas stuff should be put out there so early.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I never have a problem seeing swimsuits or summer clothes. Gives me hope in February to see such things. It's always too early to see sweaters and winter wear. I don't like winter and don't like winter clothes. Since I hate to shop for winter clothes I'm usually underdressed in winter which adds to why I don't like it. It's a vicious cycle that I understand but can't break.

I stay out of craft stores so I have no idea what they might be selling and when. Actually in the summer, I stay out of all stores except grocery stores. If Wegman's puts up Xmas trees soon I'll have a momentary flash of yuck but I'll then go buy a watermelon and the feeling will pass.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

DD & I had to make a stop at Hobby Lobby yesterday to get something framed for her new house at college ( NOT her sorority house, which is still being rebuilt). There were aisles of Christmas decs right next to aisles of Spring and Summer decs, now marked down at 66% off. Next to the Christmas decs were 3 aisles of Fall decs and then one totally filled with Fourth of July decs. It was fun, but a bit bizarre!
    DD found a cute metal flamingo piece of yard art in the marked down section to put in their back yard for a fun conversation piece. She originally thought it would be great out front but quickly realized that in a university town like hers, with a couple thousand fraternity guys, the flamingo would be gone within a couple days and spend the school year planted around town on various frat house lawns! Hmmmm, that actually might be a fun idea once the girls get tired of it (LOL)!
    Lynn