Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

My capsule wardrobe

Annie Deighnaugh
10 years ago

Based on the Vivienne Files (no idea how she does all the cut and paste to put together the outfits on line), I thought I'd share where I'm at so far regarding my capsule travel wardrobe. I'm open to any and all comments, suggestions...anything missing, too much, not needed, etc.

Just to recap, 14 days, Prague to Budapest along the Danube river boat cruise. Dress code: resort casual; at dinner, no jeans or shorts; dresses requested for first night meet 'n' greet and last night farewell; formal desireable for dinner at the palace in Vienna hosted by a prince. Next 10 days in Prague weather-wise include sunny days in the 90s and rainy days in the 60s.

My wardrobe is based around the fabric in this Ann Taylor skirt: black, white, teal, blue, green and yellow.

Bottoms: Clockwise from top left, dark wash jeans, gray trousers, black jersey skirt, print skirt, black ponte pants, dark wash jean shorts.

Tops: 2 sleeveless, 4 short sleeve, 2 3/4 length sleeve and one long sleeve with tabs to roll up. White camp shirt can be used as an overshirt or I can use the sleeveless tanks like a vest over the white shirt too. I have another green top with 3/4 sleeves that I could add, but maybe too much?

Accessories: black long-sleeved cardigan, green sequined short-sleeve cardigan. two long but light weight scarves. I have a long sleeve teal cardigan I can add... do you think I will need it?

Dresses:
You may recall these...I did shorten the paisley one. They both are knits and roll up in a ball but don't wrinkle...perfect for travel, and the sweaters will go with both.

Formal for the palace, another knit dress that packs beautifully. I can use the teal scarf as a stole.

Any comments or suggestions for additions or subtractions are most welcome.

Comments (63)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kswl, yes, I guess the scarf looks more blue on screen than teal, but it's not a true blue IRL. The skirt has a royal blue and a light blue in it, in addition to the lighter green and a real teal green. What color would you call it? It's not aqua either....

Thanks terriks, I think you are right and it will be useful.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Hmm. Within Europe, I think shorts are more for children/teens. And won't you get tired of the same palette all the time? That would kind of bother me. I guess you are trying to limit what you take by doing that? I would FEEL as though I had never changed!

BTW you look great in your formal! You look like a mannequin. BTW, you do have a head, don't you? ; )

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 23:15

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I suggested two black pair of pants instead of one black and one grey because black shows stains and wrinkles less than lighter colors and if something happens to your one pair of black pants...broken zipper, tear, etc...you have a back-up. Of course, if you are a standard size requiring no alterations, you could buy a pair if you needed to replace a pair that became unwearable for some reason.

As for dumping the jeans, that was more of a personal preference for me. I find jeans to be heavy to carry in my suitcase and uncomfortable to wear on long flights.

I tend to minimize the number of clothes I take because I like to have lots of room in my suitcase to bring back treasures I find.

• User
    10 years ago

Annied, the color looks a dark turquoise to me. It's a lovely color, just not green--- at least on my monitor.

I am one of the few people in the world who thinks jeans are uncomfortable--- the fabric is fairly heavy and those double seams are not airplane sitting- friendly. They are difficult to dry on a trip. I've never included jeans in a traveling wardrobe. But I do pick two or three colors and stick with those so that accessories, shoes, jewelry, etc. will coordinate well. I think what you have laid out is a good assortment of tops and bottoms that should be perfect for the weather. Love that black dress!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mtnrd, no, my dear, I lost my head years ago and haven't found it since...perhaps I should look where I found my glasses....
    ;)

I'm surprised that you think it's the same color palette...I picked it specifically because of the variation in it. I can wear yellow top with gray pants and look very different from a teal top with black skirt or the white shirt and jeans, no? But you're right, the purpose is for everything to go so I can mix and match and hopefully pack less.

Fun2b, Ah I see. The jeans have a lot of stretch in them and when I put them on, I feel like I'm wearing PJ bottoms they are so comfortable. I also prefer them for flying as they are warmer and I typically freeze on planes. When I was traveling on business, I always brought along a pair of jeans and flats to change into for the airport schlepping. I see about the gray pants, but it's a fairly dark gray so I should be alright. I appreciated kellyeng's suggestion of a white skirt and I love the look of white pants too, but they would never last me. As soon as I wear white, I step in something, sit on something or drip something on myself and it's a goner.

kswl, turquoise it is! Thanks.

So glad the feedback is positive on the black dress...I shouldn't tell you where I found it....

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Annie, have you tried crocs? Not the awful gardening clogs, but the shoes or flip flops. I have a small wide foot and also have issues with shoes.
    My SIL was wearing her ballet crocs whiling visiting me and I fell in love with them. They are comfortable, and I can actually walk in them. Don't think I would go for hours and hours, but a tour for a few hours or on the ship would be fine. Because they are rubber they are great in the rain. I have slip on versions that look like sandals too.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Coming back with two other questions. Annie, since this is a cruise, why do you feel you need to limit your packing? Other than getting your suitcase on board, it stays there the duration of your trip. In this case, I would pack to the gills to have tons of options. (Please note, I am a moody traveler and never know what to bring!)
    Mtn, you are one of our resident world travelers, what would you bring on a trip like this one?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Annie, the black formal fits you so well, I was sure you had made it yourself!

Ellendi, I am a very bad example of packing strategy. When I used to travel for business, i was very expert at getting all my cosmetics on board in those little containers. I never checked luggage, and considered it a sign of weakness to do so! But as far as clothes, my bank had a contract with FS, and most of them had O/N drycleaning (bless their hearts) so I would wear a lot of the same stuff (with different clients).

As for personal travel, I never understood the reason to try to pack lightly. I bring pretty much everything that strikes my fancy. When I used to try to coordinate outfits, I found myself buying things because they worked well as coordinates, not because I necessarily liked them. Now I only pack things I like wearing. But I also bite the bullet and have things laundered as we travel. It is ridiculously costly ($8 for a pair of toddler socks at the FS in LA once, albeit wrapped in tissue paper, adorned with a ribbon and discreetly delivered in a basket to our closet while we were out), but I consider it a luxury that really makes family vacations more pleasant and less stressful

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Mtn - I'm afraid I follow your criteria for packing "everything that strikes my fancy" and then some. I've been know to hide a pair of shoes in DH's suitcase so that mine stays within the weight limits. I pack for every contingency including extreme weather conditions, spur of the moment changes in itinerary and backup outfits in case one of my favorites fails me.

DH accuses me of packing for currency fluctuations too.

Annie - you've done a great job of selecting mix and match colors and outfits. The long black dress is perfect - so versatile and I love the scarves.

I wish you luck with the shoes - that's always one of my problem areas too.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are so terrific with all your suggestions. I so appreciate them as it gets me trying on all kinds of stuff in my mind to make sure I'm bringing the right stuff.

ellendi, I had a pair of sandals that had the rubber lining and I can't wear them. I must slightly twist one foot as I walk and I ended up getting a big blister next to the ball of my foot! Ouch! So now I look only for suede or leather inner soles if I'm not wearing socks. I was stunned though in Rockport that they actually make washable leather loafers!

The reason for packing compactly is, there is a weight limit and bag limit on the plane. (Given the $$$$ we're spending, I'm not shelling out an extra few hundred bucks for extra bags.) Also, we are not just on the boat (7 out of the 13 nights on board) but we are in hotels and in "motor coaches" to get us from Prague to the boat, etc. So they request that we bring only one average sized piece of luggage each, which is reasonable.

Besides, I have so much fun coming up with a capsule wardrobe, and it's been a wonderful refresh that my wardrobe badly needed since I hadn't really bought anything new since I retired in 2010. It also has forced me to get a lot of alterations done that were waiting in a pile for too long. And I have to admit that I love all the colors and how they blend.

Thanks, marie-cate, shoes have been an absolute nightmare for me for years. Just for this trip, I have been to Bass, Clark, Rockport and Easy Spirit outlets. I have been to Macy's and L&T and Payless and JCP and Shoe Dept. and 2 different DSWs, Hawley Lane (which specializes in comfortable shoes) and Clarks stores and a few more in between. I think it takes certain astrological alignments for me to successfully find shoes I can wear.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Kswl, you should try Ann Taylor Loft's jeans. Comfortable and light weight denims.
    I also have a pair of "skinny" jeans from gap that are light weight and all stretch.
    Takes a lot of time to see what jeans work for you, but when you find them it is certainly worth the effort.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Annie, have you seen the website Walking on a cloud.com? They specialize in comfortable shoes. You can get ideas there and go to Zappos which has free shipping both ways, so nothing to lose.
    Macy's in NYC has a floor of comfort shoes if you happen to be going to the city.
    I can't tell you how many shoes I tried and sent back when I had a special event. But, I did find a great pair of evening sandals and will use them for many years.

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

Have a good trip.

This post was edited by deeinohio on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 17:19

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I'd also skip the jeans shorts. Another European no-no is capris. As for packing light, after my last trip to Paris and lugging a suitcase on the Metro and through the underground concourses, I will pack as lightly as I possibly can. It's less of an issue on a cruise. I love the colors you have chosen and that black dress is perfect.

I have found that Josef Seibel makes great walking shoes, and since they are made in Europe, you can't go wrong. Your trip sounds fabulous!

• busybee3
    10 years ago

lol! i guess i am a gray and black person! and, i fall back on black- gotta have a black top in my bag- always!
    i love jeans on airplanes too- always have a pair when i travel--- and i would definitely leave a sweater unpacked for the airplane...
    i like to layer, less sleeve and more sweaters has become what i do, wherever i am! easier, imo!
    (just as i am a scarf person in cooler seasons only, wherever i am!)
    i would probably just be optimistic(or pretend naive?), and hope for no heavy wind during the trip!!
    my tendency is to overpack, and i often don't wear alot of what i bring... i have learned over the years to pare down what i bring (esp with air travel!) and prefer having limited choices on trips... i spend enough time overwhelmed with indecision re: what to wear in my own closet at home!

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

love your evening dress. Like the poncho idea.
    When I pack I always put out everything I would think I want, then edit..But when I have room I always stick in another top or two, so usually in white or black-what kind depends on weather, but something that can be layered,, and if there is room another pair of shoes, like comfy flats that goes with everything but the dressy.
    I agree with not taking the jeans or shorts, substitute ankle pants or capris. If one day you are delayed getting back to the boat in time to change for dinner, or just don't want to you will be dressed for dinner, since you said the dress code doesn't allow them.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Funny, I'm definite about the jeans if only for travel days, probably about the shorts if for biking or hanging out on deck. But I'm not sure about the gray slacks...my concern is that the material is a little heavy for 80-90 temps. I think a neutral color is good so either a gray or a tan but in something lighter...back in the old days...remember Blair?...they used to make a really cool crinkle pant with elastic waist...comfortable, needed no ironing as they were already crinkled....haven't seen them in years. Maybe I need to admit my age and check chico's or coldwater creek?

Sorry ms-thrifty, but capris are a real no-no for me as I'm short and they just make me look shorter and my butt look wider. For fun, I tried on some skinny pants and yikes did I look like an ice cream cone. Not good!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

deenohio, what kind of sketchers, there are so many ?

• melsouth
    10 years ago

I have no packing advice, but I wish you a wonderful trip!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Annie,

When do you leave? It just occurred to me that it is soon I think? In any event, I want to wish you a wonderful trip (how could it not be) and I expect a full debriefing with photos (headless or no) upon your return!

Mtn

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your well wishes. We will be gone the first 2 weeks in July. I think we'll be ok and that most of flooding on the Danube will have subsided by then and hopefully the clean-up will have taken place. The Danube hit record levels this spring and they even closed the Charles Bridge in Prague to pedestrian traffic as it wasn't considered safe. Yikes!

• natesgram
    10 years ago

If you are within the weight limit, I would take everything you have there and maybe bring a lightweight windbreaker. I recently returned from a 14 day cruise in Europe and after being warned about the shoes and shorts, I was surprised to see so many that did wear them, especially on the ship. I brought so many pairs of shoes but they didn't fit comfortably and ended up wearing my tennis shoes (another no-no) and again saw many others that did as well. There was no way I was going to not look like a tourist since I had a camera around my neck most of the time. I say be comfortable. Love your choices.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update: I'm dumping the gray pants for a lighter weight grayish brown pant that I got such a deal on...they fit well (just need to shorten them) and they are very stretchy so very comfortable, and after discounts at Macy's they were $7!!! Wahoo! I love a bargain! And they are neutral enough to go with all the tops I have planned.

Thanks, natesgram. I think I would like the shorts on board. I have to check into a windbreaker thing...I think it's a great suggestion.

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

Appleseeds has those crinkled pants you like. They have a lightweight jacket to match.

Don't forget your tide stick. I think I'd bring a hat that folds up too, just because I hate standing out in the sun.

I think the shorts are a good idea for lounging with your feet up on a deck chair.

Have you ever tried Munro shoes? They're very comfortable for walking . Nordstrom's carries them. They make an extra wide, but sometimes you have to find them on the internet.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Here is a link that might be useful: Appleseeds

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks chickadee.....those are them! So comfortable in hot weather.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I am currently in Europe and I've seen everything style wise. I'm not on a river cruise but touring Europe is Europe. Wear whatever you're comfortable wearing at home.

As you already know, flat, comfortable shoes are the most important thing. All these scenic cobblestone streets and sidewalks are killers on feet and ankles!

I've spent many an hour in my Munro boots, Naot sandals, and Merrill hiking shoes.

I'd also suggest you check Ecco brand. Nordstroms had some on sale that I resisted but was oh so tempted and I'm still thinking about them. I might order them, if still available, when I get back. I own other Ecco sandals that didn't happen to make the cut for this trip but they are comfortable.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Annie,

I thought of you when I saw this insert for comfortable walking shoes in the Sunday New York Times.

Here is a link that might be useful: comfy shoes?

• User
    10 years ago

Annie, a big thank you for the link to the Vivienne Files.... Everyone in my office is now obsessed with that blog! I adored one of the scarves she showed with the pink and navy set, and found it on eBay!

• User
    10 years ago

Just went on that Hotter site, mtn, and LOVE those Carly shoes for fall. We're going to have to stop these shopping threads, ladies!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hhireno, thanks for the info...that's reassuring that I'll be comfortable in my regular clothes.

mtnrd, I didn't see it, but those shoes, esp the wide ones, look very comfortable..

kswl, glad you found the blog helpful...I've spent way too much time there for sure!

Now I'm getting nervous about what I'm packing as they've been having rainy days in Prague with a high only in the 50s....it's supposed to warm up to 70 when we arrive. Let's hope.

• sable_ca
    10 years ago

Annie - I love the wardrobe you've chosen; the colors are lovely. The only rule I follow, other than color coordination, is to bring what I love. If you don't love it, you probably won't wear it!

Like so many others, I also have a problem finding shoes that fit well. Throughout my professional career I wore Naturalizer pumps (and still wear them, the same shoes, lol), but now I also go to Footsmart, which guarantees comfort and long wear, and sometimes Maryland Square, which add more style.

You look beautiful in your evening gown. Its top is perfect for meeting a prince!

Have a wonderful trip -

Here is a link that might be useful: really comfortable shoes

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, sable...only about a week away and I'm starting to get excited!

I'm so glad everyone likes my formal....I daren't tell you where I got it...

I feel fairly confident that I'm the only woman who will have ever worn a dress to the palace from that retailer...

I did dress it up with rhinestone clips that I got from my MIL....they look really nice on the straps.

• User
    10 years ago

Ok, now you HAVE to tell--- where did you get that dress?? It fits you so perfectly!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, OK, you beat it out of me, kswl!
    ;)

Walmart, $19!

Score!!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I've been looking at the tauck forums where people discuss the trips, and it seems that despite the dress code, people dress down more than suggested...that some men will wear shorts to dinner and that, even to the palace, some men didn't wear jackets, though most wore ties. But they did say a lot of the women dressed up for the palace. So I'm fairly confident that I will fit in for sure.

Our ponchos came, but DH prefers his rain coat. I'm debating as the poncho is very light weight and I can even carry it in my purse...and my rain coat is old and dingy and heavy. I have another one, but it isn't waterproof and will soak through if we get stuck walking on a rainy day. Only thing is, poncho can't double as a jacket for warmth should it turn cold. Prague today is only 55 and raining....but the 10 day forecast puts it at sunny and in the 70s for our arrival.

Our money belts also arrived and I think they will serve us well. Mostly DH will be using his. I'm thinking we each carry a different credit card so in case one gets stolen, we'll still have the other.

Decisions, decisions....

• User
    10 years ago

Wow, Annie! THat is the definition of smart shopping.... To be able to see something like that and recognize its potential. To quote my very favorite movie character: "By Grabthor, what a savings." (Allen Rickman in Galaxy Quest.)

Have you considered an alternative to the poncho? There's a very light raincoat called Mycra Pac that is stylish and literally packs up in its own tiny envelope. It isn't warm, per se, but could function as a good windbreaker with a sweater underneath--- much more so than the poncho. It comes in three lengths and the collar becomes a hood. I don't know who sells it in your area, but I'll bet someone does, and it comes in both black and a teal blue that would be fantastic with your wardrobe! At least, on my monitor :-)

I can't blame your DH for not wanting to wear the poncho. Adults wearing them usually look like they've lost their Scout troop!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Looks like you've got it all figured out. Your travel wardrobe looks nice although I would not layer tanks over shirts or do the elastic waist pants unless you want to look a bit matronly.

I like KSWL's ides about the raincoat and I'm LOL @ her scout troop comment!

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Hope you have a great trip! I have gotten all kinds of good ideas here for packing.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kswl, I just looked at mycra pac...that ain't happening...no way am I spending over $200 for a jacket! Esp since it's not even waterproof but only water resistant.

I'll look around locally and see if I can't find a water proof light weight jacket...otherwise I'll make the poncho work, even if I look like I've lost my scout troop....LOL!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

texanjana, so glad you've found this helpful, too. Everyone's comments here have been so helpful for me!

• User
    10 years ago

They occasionally go on sale, so if you like them, keep watch on a few places. They dress up really well and that is what makes them so versatile.

I know you will have a wonderful trip and with your outgoing personality will probably end up helping lead the pack of your fellow travelers, so a poncho may be appropriate :-) Pictures when you return, please?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, kswl...sure will post pics.

I see LLBean has a similar jacket with it's own pouch for less than half the price...

Here is a link that might be useful: Trail rain jacket

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Until the Paris taxi pulled away with the jacket (before I realized it slipped off my lap) I had an almost perfect Calvin Klein packable rainjacket (available at Macy's for about $120 before any coupons or discounts). It also came in its own pouch - which I still have, a cruel reminder. The only thing I thought it needed was some air vents for circulation. I intend to buy another when I get back because I was so happy with it. I replaced it with a Mac in a sack, it's not nearly as nice, but it does keep me dry when necessary and it only cost about $24.

I also thought I posted, but I don't see it, about the Barking Dog shoe blog. She reviews all sorts of comfortable shoe brands and occasionally has a podiatrist post recommendations.

You do take such lovely photos, I look forward to seeing your travel photos.

Edited to remove duplicate information.

This post was edited by hhireno on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 4:45

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I went to the LLBean outlet and bought a waterproof and very packable rain jacket with a hood that also can double as a windbreaker...hood rolls up to become a collar and it's in a pretty blue. I put the bulk of the clothing in the bag without even trying to pack it, and have acres of room yet. So I'm adding a royal blue cardigan and a black tank top. That should do it.

So far, the forecast is for sunny and 70s in Prague, sunny and 80s in Budapest. DH says, since we got new raincoats, we won't get any rain! I can only hope!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vacation is coming to an end. I did not wear 2 sleeveless tops and a pair of shoes and the bathing suit. Everything else was used...except the rain coats. They did their job though as the weather has been fabulous...I expected Budapest to be hot but it wasn't so didn't need sleeveless.

I was the only one who wore full length to the palace, but I felt comfortable nonetheless. I was surprised that someone wore full length to the farewell...in fact people seemed to dress up more for that than the palace.

I wore the shorts on deck and the scarves worked well for chilly mornings or buses or cathedrals. Lots of locals were wearing them.

I did see everything though...shorts, capris, cargo pants, jeans, skirts, dresses, you name it. A lot of the men wore belted shorts with all combos of footwear including sneakers or sandals with socks.

So the bottom line is comfort first, especially in footwear as you walk, walk, walk, and then walk a little further. But just like the US, anything goes.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I'm so glad you reported back on how your packing worked out. I always agonize about what to pack, attempting to bring the fewest things but still have plenty of options and be ready for almost anything.

The only thing I didn't wear during my trip was my bathing suit. I always pack it because you just never know if you'll need it and they are too hard to buy if you need one.

• User
    10 years ago

Nice to hear the report back sounds like you had a fantastic trip.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Looiing forward to seeing pictures from your trip. Nice to know that we really don't have to worry as much about what to bring.
    But, it is always nice to look good!

• User
    10 years ago

Also looking forward to pictures, Annie! Glad to hear your wardrobe worked out.... re your long dress being the only one, my mother's motto is "Somebody has to be the best dressed person at the party, why shouldn't it be me?"

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kswl, that's cute!

I have no idea how many pics I took...I'll need to sort them to figure out which cathedral is which. When I get it together, I'll start a new thread with just the highlights.

In the meantime, my wardrobe is just a boat load of laundry!!!