Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Yummy fresh produce!!!

tinam61
9 years ago

Oh how I love this time of year when the garden comes in! This year we did not plant anything ourselves. We are lucky to have a couple of great farmer's markets in the area and a wonderful produce market that we have bought from for several years. Family owned with three HUGH gardens on the property.

Yesterday I bought okra, green beans, cantaloupe, tomatoes, cucumbers and zucchini at the produce market. Everything was grown there other than the cantaloupe, which they go down to GA and buy from a farmer there. It will be a bit longer before our cantaloupes are in. The lady who (with her husband) own and operate the market also gave me a purple tomato to try. We are having fresh veggies and cornbread tonight. We'll try out the purple tomato.

I can't wait for corn to come in!!!

Comments (9)

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

As part of our grant through my work, we are trying a website to bring farmers and consumers together. It's different from a CSA in that the offerings will vary weekly, and people can buy in amounts they want and don't have to commit to a specific number of weeks. It's still in beta testing, so I'm going to try it this week.

In addition to fruits and vegetables, they also offer foods like eggs, meats, and goat cheese from local farms.

Order online by Tuesday, pay by credit card or Paypal, and pick up locally on Wed.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I'm glad I saw this. I'm going to check out the farmers market in town tomorrow.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

Posts like these make me yearn for a longer growing season. My last frost is May 15th so I am still a bit away from fresh food from my garden, I will not have a bounty (at least I hope a bounty) until August. We did harvest our garlic this week to dry and that did very well this year.

For fresh eating, I think purple/black tomatoes are my favorites. They are not all that productive for me (at least the ones I have tried thus far) but ooooh so delicious. My family does not know there is a difference, mainly because they never make it out of the garden.

I did stop at a local farmer's market for my area, all they had was beets (not my thing), carrots and fresh eggs (I have my own chickens). But, there was some very good jam.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I have been enjoying my own veggies for a couple of weeks now. Squash and cukes started about 3 weeks ago and I picked my first tomatoes about a week or so ago. Yum!! Because I don't have time for a lot of things, I limit what I grow to tomatoes, squash, peppers (3 kinds), and a cucumber. I have a red pepper ready to pick and have picked jalapenos and 3 poblano peppers (going to try a recipe for those this weekend). By far the tomatoes are my favorite - Cherokee Purple (heirloom) are divine!

• User
    9 years ago

We have a pretty large garden and so far only have been eating carrots and zucchini. So much zucchini!! I believe 18 in the past few days and there are more out there that need to come in. We've been giving them out to family and friends.

We also planted tomatoes (cherry, roma, slicers), green peppers, onions, butternut squash, corn, and herbs. I'm most looking forward to the tomatoes and making sauce.

Dealing with the food from the garden is part of the reason we pushed the kitchen project back until fall. That and it's too nice to be inside.

• fourkids4us
    9 years ago

I would love to have zucchini...I have never been lucky with zucchini. I must have a problem with pollinating b/c my plants are always healthy, they just never produce! Next year, I think I will have to try to pollinate them myself. This year, I've already had a few tomatoes (nothing like a fresh, ripe tomato!!!), several cucumbers, one jalapeño, one yellow squash (with several more on the way). Bell peppers are coming and soon, I will have a variety of tomatoes. Eggplant looks iffy right now. We are currently on vacation at the beach and enjoying all the fresh produce at the roadside stands. Corn on the cob freshly picked = yummmm!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Success with the online farmers market ordering.
    Received my first order this week: some beautiful heads of leaf lettuce, a dozen farm fresh eggs, and locally made soft goat cheese which was wonderful.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Here in Austin you find many local farmers selling along the roadside. The other day I bought peaches. They were small and juicy, and even had a few small worm holes. A lot less than farmer's markets too.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have those here too Patty. Ours don't seem to be that much less than the larger farmer's markets. The farmer's markets also have much more than farm fresh produce - such as eggs, cheese, homemade breads/cakes, a wonderful bacon, even flowers, and a few handmade items such as birdhouses, etc.