Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Speaking of tea.... (from a few days ago)

DLM2000-GW
11 years ago

What are your favorite iced teas for warm weather? I need some new flavors in my arsenal. As much as I love iced coffee, it doesn't taste good to me without 1/2 & 1/2 and with tea I don't have to add in the extra calories! Do you have favorite herbals that are particularly nice iced? And please share your preferred brew/strength method if you don't mind. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• bac717
    11 years ago

Hi Deb, Just last weekend, I made up a batch of Herbal Iced Tea from my Ina Garten Barefoot Contessa Family Style cookbook. Here's the simple recipe:

4 Celestial Seasonings Lemon Zinger tea bags
    4 Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger tea bags
    4 cups pure apple juice

Steep the 8 tea bags in 4 cups of boiling water for about 10 minutes. Discard the tea bags. Combine the tea with the apple juice and refrigerate until cold. Serve over ice.

I used Wild Berry Zinger because I couldn't find Red Zinger. Let me know if you like it. It's different.

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

Last summer I had lunch at a friend's house and she served iced tea made from Trader Joe's pomegranate white tea. It was soooo good. If you have a TJ's near you, check it out. I made it several times after that lunch.

I also love raspberry iced tea. I can't recall which brand I used last summer.

I don't usually make iced tea in the winter but I do sometimes buy the big jug of premade, unsweetened iced tea from TJ's, which I love. Sometimes I mix it with about 1/4 glass of lemonade. Yummy.

• texanjana
    11 years ago

We love Nile Valley Herbs' hibiscus mint tea. It is a local (Austin, TX) company, so I can get it easily. I am not sure how readily available it is elsewhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nile Valley Herbs

• JennaVaNowSC
    11 years ago

When making your regular iced tea from bags, like Lipton etc, try tossing in a couple of herbal tea bags. I use Raspberry, or Peach, or Lemon. Gives plain ole tea a little zing!

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jenn that's a smart idea - never would have thought to mix regular and herbal! Will have to try that one.

texanjana - not sure I've seen that one locally but will look for the hibiscus/mint combo in another brand if if the Nile Valley isn't available.

Sue I am at TJs weekly so will check for the pomegranate white tea for sure. Sounds yummy.

Barb I'm trying to LIMIT the calories!!!! Maybe I'll mix the red or berry and lemon zingers without the apple juice - how bad could it be?? Actually sounds good to me.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming..... Anyone ever use a lemon ginger tea for icing? I drink it in the winter, especially when I don't feel well so I associate it it with being sick but do like the flavor hot.