Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Packing Genes - I don't have them :-(

DLM2000-GW
10 years ago

Is there some magic trick to this? I'm looking at how organized Annie is in her packing and scratching my head. Invariably I bring too much and/or the wrong stuff. In my defense, our trips tend to involve a variety of activities from day long back country hikes to nice dinners out to antiquing to music venues. Weather is always a bugaboo for me because I hate to be cold (including in air conditioned restaurants) but also as a woman of a certain age, I don't like to be too skimpy for the hot weather activities. I find myself trying to have shorts, slack, skirts, jeans, shoes, tops (of all sleeve lengths), sweaters, hoodies, ad nauseam for every conceivable activity and weather.

Of course I'm packing tonight for a morning flight (yes, I know, should have asked this LAST week!) and will be up till after midnight making decisions, switching things out, packing and re-packing.

What's the secret? Is there a secret? Please, tell me the secret!

Comments (13)

• User
    10 years ago

Greatest packing app: pack the bag

I love it--- plan what i am taking well in advance, and it reminds me to start packing two days before.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

The best tool for packing is to take a flight, wheel a large bag and carry on miles through the airport, ride a bus and maneuver a subway escalator and train, realize there is still a long walk to the hotel, then arrive exhausted at said location.
    You will pack light next time. Really.

It also helps to pack light in the future if the flights make you check the carry on with all it's precious essentials. It happens, if you're not first class.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

How long will you be gone? Figure out how many days so you will pack appropriately.

One way is to keep the bottoms neutral and then all your tops will go....pants/skirts in black/navy/tan/gray/brown. Jeans are also neutral. Then pick tops and sweaters that work together...so black pants with black sweater and any color top. The black sweater will also work with the other bottoms.

The other way is to pick 3 colors that work together and pack those....like tan, black, and red or navy, cream and green. Helps if you have a scarf and/or print blouse that works with the 3 colors. Then get the other parts to coordinate and then whatever you pull out of your bag will work together to make many outfits.

Check the vivienne files for ideas of how to assemble the pieces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vivienne files

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Just take the few things you love wearing. It's what you'll end up wearing anyway and if you have to wear it a couple times, well, you love wearing it.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

dlm, I always over pack too. I have been watching Annie's thread closely.
    The one thing I try to do is only bring things that can be washed. I tend to dry clean many of my newer clothes as they stay looking nicer for longer.
    I agree with Bumble, bring what you like wearing. You know it's comfortable.
    My only advise is to bring a variety but pare down. One cardigan instead of two, two jeans instead of three.
    When we go for longer than a week, I don't mind spending a few hours doing a load of laundry.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A packing app? Seriously? Will have to check that out!

For my next trip, I'm coming here first and way more than 18 hours ahead of the flight. I'm going to try and put your suggestions to work although I don't know that I have all the best pieces to make it work - hence the continual overpacking. Bags on this flight are always gate checked and they are very lenient about size. I have 2 small carry-ons, one that goes under the seat and one gate checked.

Bumble on my last trip, the telescoping handle for my wheeled bag broke and I did have to carry it through LAX, running to catch my connecting because my flight out of O'Hare had been delayed 3 hours. I was dripping wet when I got to the gate - then THAT flight was delayed! Travel is so much fun.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I have been known to use a spreadsheet - noting what I'm doing each day if I know or what kinds of activities I need to have clothes for. Then I fill in what I would wear in each column for each day or activity. I also have a section listing what pants, shorts, tops (sleeveless, sweaters, long sleeve, etc.) I'm bringing.

That section helps me realize I have planned to bring way too much so then I cut out some stuff. I seem to have this problem though that when I'm traveling I immediately slop on myself when that would never happen at home. So I can only count so much on wearing something twice if it doesn't hide slops quite well.

I only do the above in depth planning if it's a longer trip where I need a variety of things that I can't just figure out and keep track of in my head.

DH on the other hand just throws stuff in his suitcase and inevitably has a bunch of things he doesn't use and is missing a few things he really needs. It drives me nuts. I keep the spreadsheet out of his sight though because he'd think I was completely crazy if he saw it.

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

"It also helps to pack light in the future if the flights make you check the carry on with all it's precious essentials. It happens, if you're not first class."

It happens for first-class passengers, too!
    At least on the smaller American Airlines planes I take (they're usually 2 seats on the left, 2 seats on the right in first-class; sometimes it's 1 on the left, 2 on the right). They just don't have much usable (useable?) overhead space for the rolling carryons people use today.

(not that I have the opportunity to go first class all that often!)

I always overpack, or when I get there, I think "What made me think I'd wear this here?" I really need to get into an interchangeable "Garanimals" state-of-shopping-mind!

Thanks for the info on the packing app...
    The only thing I've learned to do over the years is roll my clothes into "logs."

Enjoy your trip!

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Garanimals - HA!! Almost spewed my coffee on that one, pammyfay, but I totally get it.

gibby I have a friend who uses excel for just about every facet of her life and now that you've mentioned it I know she does it for packing, too so you're not totally alone.

Well it's done to the best of my abilities for this trip so hopefully I can manage with what I have. Just got back on Monday from a short trip to CO to see DS2 and managed ok in spite of myself. DS1 is coming with us on this trip and that's all I really care about!!

Thanks and see you all on the flip side!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Safe travels!

I remember hearing some advice to pack half the clothes and bring twice the money (this is before debit cards, but you really do need some cash) you think you will need. I also go by my bags. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go. That really helps me pare things down. I've gotten much better over the years.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I have "master list" on my computer that I edit for specific trips. I'm the packing mistress for our whole family. And I usually do a phenomenal job. However, today we arrived in Sedona for a 10 day trip that includes Grand Canyon, Bryce, and Zion, and guess whose hiking shoes got left at home? Mine. Grrr.

• lilsophie
    10 years ago

I don't either. I bring everything practically, because I can't decide what to bring. I hate packing. In fact I need to pack for a 4 day trip. I said I would do it days ago. But still havent. So I'm waiting for the last day once again.....sigh

• dedtired
    10 years ago

The worst for me is traveling by car. The car turns into a big suitcase. I keep throwing things in because there is space and I might need them (I never do). The problem is that I have to unpack the car at the other end, repack and unpack all that stuff again at home.

After overpacking for a trip to Paris, I learned my lesson. My suggestion is pack your bag, then carry it up and down the stairs and around the block! Bump it up curbs. Load it into your car as if it were a bus or taxi. That will give you the incentive to pack lightly!

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH