Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edieallie

Summer Menus

OllieJane
10 years ago

I love the thread on the Summer Cold Salads!

I am always stuck at what to serve with grilled chicken, fish, etc in the summer. Tonight we are having Grilled Halibut Caprese, along with grilled asparagus and french bread. But, it always seems like we have grilled asparagus with fish, especially.

We make:

BBQ chicken breasts with corn on the cob and then a traditional side salad with ranch dressing.

Grilled Tri-tip roast and then in a foil package we cut up zuchini and squash. Add a can of roitel and small can of Cheez Whiz and wrap up and throw on the grill. (along- side the tri-tip) Would like it to be healthier, but it's always handy and everyone LOVES it!

What are your summer menus? What kind of summer side veggies (doesn't have to be grilled) do you serve?

Would love some ideas!

Comments (5)

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I don't like to heat up the oven in the summer, so most of our vegetables are steamed in the microwave or blanched on the stovetop. I pretty much use the same vegetables year-round like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, sugar snap peas, green peas, and asparagus. I also make orzo or quinoa with various seasonings and steamed or raw vegetables mixed in as a side.

• annie1971
    10 years ago

I don't have a problem with heating up the kitchen, AC and all; but I do like to use our patio and to cook as often as possible outside for the 5 - 6 months of spring/summer and into the fall. We enjoy using our Dutch ovens for long slow cooking. Anything you can cook in the oven or on top of the stove can be cooked in a Dutch oven. That with fresh vegetables and fruits of the season is what we like to do. I pretty much cook the same year round, just in different places, indoors/outdoors. Of course when wild caught seafood is in -- that's what we do on the grill, along with whole chicken and potatoes and vegetables.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

In summer, I try to make best use of tomatoes as that's the only time of year they're worth eating...caprese salad, grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches or just cut up raw with dressing maybe mixed with chunked cuke...yummy.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

What is this summer you're speaking of? Here in the PNW we still need to light the wood stove! haha.

In the heat of summer I like to make anti-pasta or just have fruit & cheese for dinner. We also grill on occasion, but since it's still light out until nearly 10pm, we eat late and very light.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

We don't eat that different in the summer other than taking advantage of all the fresh produce. I'm another who doesn't mind using my oven in the summer. We grill year round, but more-so this time of year and have more out-door type get-togethers with family or friends. As sides to a grilled meat, we eat alot of fresh green beans, okra, corn, TOMATOES, squash, zucchini, etc. Tons of melon. I absolutely love cantaloupe. We do seem to eat more cold meals such as some type salad - tuna, grilled chicken salad, taco salad, etc. I also love a fresh salad of cucumbers, tomatoes, purple onion with a bit of moz cheese and dressing. We forgo meat a good bit. A favorite is a variety of fresh veggies and "fried" cornbread (which is really a thinned down cornbread batter cooked like a pancake).

tina

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County