Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martinca_gw

Shots For Allergies: Info Please

My beloved 14 yr.old gd has numerous allergies, coped with by OTC meds. We've had furry dogs since her birth, and we've cared for her here several days a week since she was born. All fine. We added another dog of same breed ( both rescues, so neither 100% a certainty) , but with much less fur, and she can no longer tolerate being here, other than outside. He eyes turn red, sneezes, itch nose, misery, etc.
She was tested two years ago, and dogs barely registered, if at all. Can she be allergic to only our new dog? How do shots work? Are they given weekly, or, and gradually reduced as immunity is built up?
I read recently that it's dog saliva vs. dander that's the usual culprit. Dog licks fur, tubs carpet, furniture, or is petted and bam! New pup is bigger licker. Have you heard this? Appreciate your info and experience with this.
TIA
marti

Comments (15)

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I know nothing about the shots but I do know that our granddaughter is allergic to our dog, a lab. She doesn't have a problem with any other animal, but gets the itchy, red eyes when she is in our house for a while.

We were not sure if it was something else in our house so we sent the dog to hers. She soon had the same reaction.

I now vaccum well before she visits and put the dog outside while she is here. If she's here long enough that the dog has to come in she takes a child's dose of Claretin (doctor's suggestion). That seems to help with no side effects.

ML

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

Our vet explained that allergies were not from the cat dander or fur but from the saliva. She gave me drops to place under my tongue daily. I didn't get a chance to use it for very long before we had to put the cat to sleep so can't tell you if they worked or not. She said she'd seen a fair amount of success with them including her own mother. Maybe you could ask your vet about this? I'm sorry I don't have more information such as the name of the drops.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Back in the late 70's, I had my series of shots!

Growing-up on a grain farm was nice...BUT...not for a kid with allergies to everything there!!!
    So...in ~~'77, I got tested for what I was allergic to. They put a grid of common allergens on my back, waited a while, & noted the reaction-level of the skin bumps/swellings. Dang that got ITCHY after a few minutes!!!! It felt SOOOOO good when the nurse scrubbed-off the area with alcohol pads!!!!

The results were sent in, and a box with 5??? vials soon came back.
    * Vial #1 looked like 7-Up!! Just about totally clear.
    * Last vial looked like Coca-Cola!!!!!

So....once a week, for most of my Junior HS-year, I went to the county nurse b4 school. The 1st few shots with the real weak solution produced a lump about 4" across on my upper-arm! After waiting ~~ 20min., off to school I went!

The last vial was the strongest of course! By this time, there was hardly a reaction-lump at all!

I still THANK GOD I did those shots!!!! I'm allergy-free to this day!

Faron

• patriceny
    9 years ago

I'm doing allergy shots right now. I'm allergic to dogs (and about a million other things, apparently), and since I have a dog and there is zero chance I'm giving her up...I figure I have nothing to lose by trying the shots.

They take awhile to work. I'm only about 3 months in, and they told me it could be several more months before I notice any improvement. But like Faron - if they do work, apparently it's basically a cure.

I believe I was told the sublingual drops aren't as effective as the shots.

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

Just to be clear, there are at least a couple different types of sublingual drops. The one I mentioned above does not contain allergens, it is something completely different. I also used the sublingual drops containing allergens and I think they helped a little but nothing like what allergy shots can do.

My son was on allergy shots as a child for years. We were a military family and every time we moved he had to be retested and start over on the shots because the allergens would change depending on where we lived. They helped him some but not 100%. He was a real trooper to have gone through all that! It takes a real commitment to go through the series but totally worth it if they work.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Yes, as Patriceny said, it's basically a CURE.
    It's SO nice after all these years to NOT have to rely on meds, etc. I go thru a whole year without a sniffle.

Yes, the full benefits took a while, but it was WELL worth it!!!

The only allergy I have to this day is Penicillin! I remember that from waaaayyy back when I was a kid....

Faron

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, all your great info sent me off on a google search, which simply repeats your experiences. Love to go the drop method, but cannot imagine trusting her to remember and commit to it, so expect she'll do it your way, Faron. Be sooo wonderful to be allergy free!
    Thanks so much, everyone!
    Marti

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Marti,
    Yeah....it's WELL worth it as she gets older!
    Does she mind getting frequent shots?
    As I mentioned, mine were weekly, in alternating upper-arm locations.

I haven't looked into allergy-shots for soooooo long! No need to thank-goodness! What kind of regimens/frequncy are you finding out there these days?

Faron

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We're new to this, Faron, but will let you know after / if she gets on something new. Glad you're free of it all. :)

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Thanks for your kind note Marti!

I hear about this (allergy shots) so rarely now. This matter really piqued my memories & interest in the subject. I do hope you can find good advice & a good Allergy-Dr. to rid her of those PITA reactions/symptoms!!!

I'm kinda curious if they still do it "the old-fashioned-way", like I did?!

Faron

• kimberlyrkb
    9 years ago

I am in my late 40âÂÂs and have been allergic to a number of things since college. 18 months ago I started allergy shots, with weekly injections in alternating arms. My frequency decreased over time and now I go every 2-4 weeks. I should be able to discontinue them altogether at some point, but I'm not sure when. My allergies are greatly improved and I no longer even take Claritin or similar meds. I no longer have hay fever, nor am I allergic to our 5 cats. It could be a fluke, but I think the shots worked.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I take allergy shots right now. I am on the once every 4 weeks maintenance regime. This is my third time going through allergy shots - starting in my teens. I have become successfully desensitized to everything except mold - which is what we are working on now. The shots definitely work - I am proof!

tina

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Our oldest son had severe allergies, and had weekly allergy shots from the age of 5 to 9 or 10. They were like a miracle for him as he now is allergy-free. It was a real PITA to haul him (and his two younger sibs) to the allergy doc every single week, but well worth it.

I live in Austin, TX where we have lots of allergens and have thought about going through the testing and doing the sublingual drops, since that is now an option. Our insurance covers it.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

My son was highly allergic according to the tests and the allergist. The result was he needed a shot every week and it was in Boston which would have been difficult with 3 children under 3 so the dr. taught me how to do them to my child and I did them weekly with appt's at six months etc. They worked amazingly well and he had to continue until age 15 at which time the tests came back negative and he's been fine ever since.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

For many years my wife and I had (English) Bulldogs. Neither of my sons nor my wife or I had any reactions.

Fast forward 20+ years. Sons grown up and living away and I am retired. Wife orders me to get a hobby ... or a divorce. (Couldn't afford the divorce. lol) So, I began to exhibit and bred three litters of Bulldogs over six years.

Oldest son comes home to visit with his wife and our granddaughters and his eyes tear up and sinuses are killing him. On advice of his doctor, Benadryl Tablets before arrival and during stay.

Additionally I bathed the dogs and we vacuumed the house before he arrived. Big improvement, but not perfect.

PS He now owns a small Havanese dog with no apparent issues.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs