Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hilltop_gw

Disaster donations

hilltop_gw
9 years ago

We live, and I grew up, somewhat near the area where the twin tornados went through Nebraska. As usual, many donation methods are being set up. One that's going around on FB uses an online facilitator site and the fund description says " All donations to this fund will go to those who are in need". There is a goal of $100,000.

However if you go to the Q&A section of the facilitator site, it states "we will deduct a 5% fee from each donation ......... A small processing fee of about 3% will also be deducted from each donation." That's nearly 8% of each donation going to the facilitator site. On a $100,000 goal that's $8,000 going elsewhere. At first I wanted to encourage people to give locally instead of through the site that keeps a portion of the funds; however I stopped, because I wondered whether people would just not give or have doubts about giving thru any method. Even sites such as Red Cross and others keep a certain percent for administrative fees. So should the 8% just be considered a cost of giving a donation? Should they have said "all donations to this fund will go to those in need" when that's not true. What are your thoughts?

Comments (4)