Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Have you had a "TDAP" vaccine?

tinam61
9 years ago

In light of all these medical posts . . . here's a question for you.

TDAP is tetanus, pertussis and diphtheria (you medical people correct me if I am wrong). I believe a tetanus booster is given every 10 years. There was a time when there was not a vaccine in the US for pertussis (whooping cough). Did you realize whooping cough is on the rise? At my work, we had a professor, in his late 50's, get whooping cough. He had a terrible time with it and it took forever to get over. And one of the worse things about it is it is easily spread and can be deathly to infants.

Good friends of ours had their first grandchild in January. The mom-to-be's dr. had the parents, and both sets of grandparents to have the vaccine.

Hubby and I have physicals tomorrow - well actually just the bloodwork for our physical and we have to have paperwork for insurance screening submitted, physical will follow at a later date. I am going to make sure we are both up-to-date on this. Our internist keeps up with our vaccines, and I know my husband has had a recent tetanus shot. It was at an emergency clinic, but I'm assuming it was the TDAP, will make sure on that. Will check on mine also.

Checking off my list - mamo, colonoscopy, regular physical, gyn visit, LOL. I'm thankful these are all "well visits"!!!

Comments (17)

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Yes, I got a booster when I got married in 2006. We weren't sure if we were going to travel internationally for our honeymoon, so I wanted to be sure immunizations were up to date. In general, not a bad idea to check on these.

My arm was really sore from it, but that was about it.

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

yes, I got it a year and a half ago when my grandson was born, when his parents asked me to. I had it done at a minute clinic to avoid doctor's office hassle.

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

Yes, I've had it upon recommendation of my internist.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Yes I got one at my last physical...

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Minute clinic is a great idea!

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

I received mine about 6 months ago.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Yes, I was born in '62 so my doctor recommended it. He also tested my measles immunity and it was gone despite having the vaccine and a booster, so had to get that one too before going to Turkey. Mumps and rubella immunity were still intact.

• judiegal6
    9 years ago

Both my husband and I were asked by grand children's pediatrician to get it. We did. My primary care gave me mine. My husband had to pick up RX at pharmacy and bring to his
    Dr. for injection.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, I did. I'm not sure anyone here remembers, but when my daughter was 5 months old, she got pertussis. We had delayed vaccinations because she was sick often, inc., with something that seemed to be seizures. All of my other children were up-to-date.

What is worrisome to me is that, in Australia, they no longer believe in "cocooning" Pertussis has been a major health problem there, so they would always advise family members to get vaccinated to protect children who were too young for the shots. They since concluded that there was no evidence it helped.

In our case, I think my oldest daughter brought it home from school, but it never affected her more than a little fever for a day or two. The doctor told me that she could definitely have passed it on, even being vaccinated. (And my doctor is pro-vax for sure.)

At the same time my daughter had it, my friend and her children got it (same school; was the very end of school so I don't know about anyone else). Her children were up-to-date with shots and not close to needing a booster. A scary reminder that a vax can help but isn't effective for everyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Australia

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

DH and I got TDAP vaccines earlier this year before my new nephew was born, at the request of my brother and SIL. Unfortunately, said nephew was a week late in arriving and we missed him on our stopover as we moved west! So, I still haven't seen the nephew, but I'm safe from whooping cough.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Wasn't "allowed" to help with new grandson almost 2 yrs ago until I had this. I had it at Walgreens. Stayed at dds for several weeks. I didn't mind. She was just being cautious and smart.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jakabedy - I didn't realize you'd moved!

Anele - I had forgotten all about your experience! Scary!!

I'm glad my internist is up-to-date on this. Sounds like many of your docs are too.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Anele--how frightening.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I had whooping cough about 16 months ago. I had a cough that came out of nowhere and 8 weeks later I still had it. Went to the doctors where I very obligingly had a coughing fit. He took one look at me (at least a listen) and filled out a prescription for antibiotics and 3 days later I felt sooooo much better. Wicked stuff

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I had a tetnus booster earlier this year. I don't know if they generally give adults the combo (Tetnus-DiptheriA-Pertusis). Whooping Cough is generally dangerous to very young -- and I suspect the elderly and immuno compromised too. I was recently reading about several diseases that were nearly eliminated and are now coming back because folks won't get vaccinated. Are they now suggesting healthy adults get boosters for more than the tetnus?

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Blfenton, if the abx helped, you probably did not have pertussis, unless you had a sample tested and it was proven. (Then you get a call from your health dept.!) Antibiotics only help (maybe) if caught very very early. Early on, the pertussis bacteria makes the cilia stop working . . .and the cilia is what clears the debris from the lungs (which is why the coughing is so horrible). It takes months for the cilia to regrow (hence the 100 day cough). Antibiotics wouldn't help, in that case, because it's not an infection. (Abx only help to stop the toxin from killing the cilia in the 1st place.)

Lascatx, pertussis is not life-threatening for older people (maybe the elderly) but it is really a horrible illness and it lasts for 3 months. Plus, even though it's not proven to help, necessarily, you are maybe helping protect infants. They get it from adults, usually. Most adults I know have gotten the TDaP, not just Tetanus.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

We had a whooping cough outbreak here a couple of years ago. Since we are in contact with babies and small children from time to time I checked on our vaccines and was told the tetanus booster we both rec'd in 2007 was good, included the pertussis. We'd have had the shot if it had lapsed, just the responsible thing to do whether we may have become ill or not - who would risk making a baby ill?

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals