Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Party Panic - 100 people?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

Every year we have a party for all three kids' classes to celebrate the end of the school year. We usually have it the last day of school. This year our kids' are on different schedules so it is not the last day of school for either school.

I think that is why we have an unusually large turnout vs last year.That and I specifically invited siblings and parents (in past years a lot people would ask so I decided to put it out there). So far we have like 85+ yes and 3 nos, with 20 not replied. Ruh oh. I need a wedding planner!

I have looked this up on line but advice can be conflicting or confusing.

Here is the deal -

We are serving a VERY simple menu. Dogs, burgers, quesadillas for vegetarians. Watermelon, strawberries, baby carrots and sliced cucumbers. Bottled small waters. That is IT.

Questions:
1. How much food? Assume 70 kids and 30 adults?
2. How much help? We have a woman who cooks for us, she will precook a lot of the food and keep it in our warming oven (it is large). I am also having my cleaning lady come, and the gardener to help park cars. Do I need another person to help park cars? A second clean up person?
3. Do I need a port-a-potty? I don't want people going in the house (with few exceptions). The pool bathroom is accessible from outside. Is 1 BA enough? Wont' all the kids just pee in the pond and pool anyway? We have other bathrooms of course but id rather people did not go in the house.
4. Everyone wants to brring something. I hate that process of throwing away a ton of food post-party. But once it is opened, you cannot donate it. And you have to open a food gift, no? what do you think?
5 Should I serve alcohol for adults? I have tons of bottles of wine
6 Can i get xanax over the counter? kidding ...

Comments (49)

• lyfia
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

WOW that will be quite a few people- at least you seem to have the space and good that you have access to a bathroom without having to have all in the house.

1. No idea
    2. I would just have them direct people where to park. Not actually do the parking unless it is really far to walk.
    3. I think a kid and an adult bathroom would be nice, but porta potty I think I would stay away from. Is there a close to the outside bath the adults could use and where you can close off areas to other rooms.

4. I would just say that you appreciate it, but you're trying to keep it simple and don't want people to feel like they need to bring something and leave it at that. I do think it would be somewhat rude to not put something out if people bring it.

5. I wouldn't. What if somebody has an accident with kids in the car on the way home. Even if they are under the legal limit they are still impaired.

6. Don't stress about it keep it simple like you have and just try to enjoy it.

• bestyears
    10 years ago

I tend to overdo when it comes to food and entertaining, so bear that in mind.

1. Burgers and dogs cook up fast, so I would have enough for 100 on hand. And what we didn't use would go in my freezer. Same for water. I would plan at LEAST 3 each, and buy enough cases for that. Extras unopened cases can be returned.

2. Is this buffet style? You still need someone to help you get the food on the tables... Can you recruit a couple of the moms?

3. Hate porta potties.... I would leave it at the one bathroom.

4. I actually think it's nice that people want to bring stuff. Can you just have some cheap to-go containers on hand and invite people to take stuff home with them?

5. I'd eliminate the alcohol. It is primarily a 'kid-centric' event, and for that reason you don't have to include it.

6. Xanax? -Talk to you other mom friends LOL!

7. So gracious of you to offer this party to so many. Relax and have fun....

• chispa
    10 years ago

Lifeguards ... Many parents won't be keeping an eye on the kids swimming in the pond or pool. That is a lot of kids in the water, and sadly, a lot of liability ... have them sign waivers?

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I recently read on another site that if you are offering more than one entree, make enough of each entree to feed 2/3 of the participants. That way, you have enough if someone eats more than one and if you have teen-age boys there, I'm pretty sure they will. I would skip the alcohol, but it would be nice to offer soft drinks or lemonade or a citrus punch in addition to water.

I think a porta-potty or two is a must for that many people. Just be sure to get the kind that have a hand sanitizer dispenser because otherwise, there's no way to wash your hands afterwards.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

1. How much food? Assume 70 kids and 30 adults?
    I would have one hamburger & one hotdog per person. Make the hamburgers small. Quesadillas - that's a hard one. You'll have to make just a few at a time since hot melted cheese is crucial to a good quesadilla. Get enough supplies for maybe 20 then cut into six slices. Go bonkers with the watermelon and strawberries!

2. How much help?
    One person each for cooking, serving, cleaning, parking.

3. Do I need a port-a-potty?
    Gross. Make the pool bathroom available. Provide plenty of TP & soap (leave a plunger - you never know) and have the cleaning person check on it every 30 minutes or so.

4. Everyone wants to bring something.
    Just let them bring what they want. Makes people feel good. Provide plastic containers and MAKE everyone take something when they leave. MAKE THEM.

5 Should I serve alcohol for adults?
    I would. Just set out a couple bottles at a time. If anyone gets too crazy you can just not bring anymore booze out.

6 Can I get Xanax over the counter?
    No but any doctor will give you a prescription. That's what it's made for!

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Love the responses.

If I come, I'll eat all the hot dogs, so make a lot. :) And BURN those burgers! Can you tell we're charcoalling burgers right now? And make a LOT.

Nix the alcohol. The party is for children, not adults.

I know you're into healthy eating and that's fine. But again, this is your children's friends coming over. Serve something other than water, and throw in a big batch of cookies/cup cakes. It's a celebratory party!

Is your husband going to help BBQ? If so, then no more help. Everyone will help out, it's a natural thing to do. Don't have the cook out there grilling though. I also wouldn't keep the meat in a warming oven. It's best fresh off the grill.

No port-a-potty.

No one else for parking. It's not a white-tie event. People can figure out where to park.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Will they have pool & or pond use? If so do you have someone with lifeguard/CPR training? Calm aid available at health food stores. Serving alcohol to adults might keep them staying longer than you would like.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

if the kids are younger, i think hotdogs will be more popular than burgers...
    as they get older (? preteen-ish?), i think hotdogs become ALOT less popular among girls...
    if it is an afternoon party, i think it's possible alot of the parents won't eat much at all...
    i would not serve alcohol...
    i think 1 person to help direct where to park is plenty...
    1 bathroom is enough, imo... esp if you're not serving alcohol!! most adults and older kids probably won't need to use it at all if the party lasts 2-3hrs... even if the party lasts alot longer, most people won't stay that long...
    i would specifically ask (demand!) everyone not to bring anything... you'll still have some bring something (like cookies), but you'll cut way down on alot of brought stuff... everybody gets the too much food issue!!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Well, I can tell you how it was for a last-day party for my DD's 6th grade class yesterday, which was at a classmate's house w/ pool and pool house. There were about 30 kids (from a class of 30 kids) and maybe a dozen parents, so, smaller than your group, but FWIW:

They had no valet parking. People parked on the street.
    They had pizza delivered, which was much easier than what you have planned, of course. Can't report on BBQ amounts.
    The class parents sent out an email before the event asking people to bring certain things. People brought lots of fruit, a few salads, and some munchies. People took their leftovers home with them.
    They had coolers with bottles of water and soda. No alcohol.
    They hired two lifeguards from the local boat club.
    No other hired help except for a woman who I assumed was a housekeeper who occasionally swept thru and did some gathering of trash. Of course servers weren't needed because this was a super casual, eating pizza standing up, party.
    Now for the part where I sound snarky. I would never invite people to my house/yard with the understanding that they couldn't enter the house to use the bathroom. I just don't think that's hospitable. At the party we attended yesterday, the kids automatically used the pool house bathroom because they were in the pool, and the adults used the bathroom in the house. I guess of I were you I'd say no porta potty, but just direct people to the pool house bathroom. If you see someone waiting in line crossing their legs, maybe you could offer him/her the house bathroom.

Good luck!

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Soda, diet soda, non-carbonated soft drinks, coffee, iced tea. And dessert! (Personally, I would have some beer for the adults.)

For people who want to bring something, ask them to bring the drinks. That way you will get a variety and you can give away the unopened bottles.

I would have a port-a-potty for the people who pee in pools and ponds. And a life-guard.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm assuming you are on septic and well water, so definitely a port-a-pot with hand sanitzer...as for the rest, sorry but I can't be of much help, but it sounds like you've gotten good advice....

• roarah
    10 years ago

I am hosting my DD's kindergarten class for a pool party this weekend( with flooding rains and all) With siblings and parents and a few friends from other classes it is half your size at about 50. I am keeping it simple with a graduation theme. I have cupcakes with graduation caps on top:), hoodsies' cups, chips, smartfood, rainbow goldfish (Onefishtwofishred...), veggie and dips, bowls of whole fruit, and sandwhich wrap diplomas all served in new frisbees and Pails. I have water and lemonade for all and I hired a lifeguard for the pool. In addition to the pool facilities, I leave my kitchen and back bath open for all to enter but close doors to other rooms. There is wine and beer in my house but being a kids party I thought I would keep it on the down low and if anyone wants one I will direct them to the kitchen fridge but all other food and drink I will keep outside.
    Good luck!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

How nice of you to offer, but as a mom I wouldn't want to be in a crowd that big at a private home with pool and pond. Do they all know that many are coming? Your pool is a nice size, but consider it with half swimming at one time, and it seems - well, dangerous.

Lifeguard was also my first thought. Hate to be a downer, but I'm linking an article about drowning - it doesn't look like it does in the movies and too many drown within a few feet/yards of people. Including parents.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks do much all. Am on my iPhone bit will review and respond later.

• bestyears
    10 years ago

allison -very timely. We just had a big birthday party at a neighborhood pool. 50 people and 2 lifeguards -and a six year old boy drowned... I have witnessed the 'quietness' of near drowning first hand, and was thrilled to see that article making the rounds last week, because more people need to be aware. As a pool owner myself, I was often shocked at how cavalier parents were in leaving their kids here, when they could barely swim. I used to tell parents, "You won't hurt my feelings if you don't want your child in the pool while he's here playing," but time and time again parents would wave me off, "Oh, he's a little fish..." -and ohmygod, the kid was so NOT a little fish....

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Bestyears, oh how horrible and sad!

• daisyinga
    10 years ago

1. 1 hot dog and 1 hamburger per person, plus a little more.

2. Certified lifeguards. 2 per body of water if you're having 100 people. Most people I know do not watch their kids at the pool, even if there are no lifeguards. And as someone else said, many parents have a different definition of what constitutes "good swimmer" than I do.

3. Yes to a porta potty.

4. It will be easier if people don't bring food. If you want to keep it simple, I'd just tell them you're keeping it very simple and really do not want them to bring food.

5. I wouldn't serve alcohol at a kidcentric pool party. Particularly with that many people, some of whom I wouldn't know that well.

Although like sueb20 I wouldn't invite guests over without allowing them to use the restroom in my house, I think you should get a pass on that since you are inviting such a lot of people you don't know well. Surely everyone will be understanding about the bathroom situation.

You are so thoughtful to do this. I hope you and your kids enjoy the party and I hope all your guests are delightful guests and don't pee in your pool.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Nix the gardener as parking valet (seems a little much for a kids' party) and get two lifeguards as others have said. That should be a priority. When I was a kid at a similar party, my dad suddenly dove into the pool fully clothed because a child had gone to the bottom. No one else had noticed. Turned out fine, but It happens so quickly and it would be heartbreaking for everyone. Not worth the risk. No alcohol. No porta-potty. It seems a little rude (I know you don't intend it that way) to invite a large group, but tell them they are not wanted in the house (or just have them discover the house locked-not sure how you plan to do that). I would either rethink that and break it into three smaller parties as you have apparently done before or open the house for the bathrooms. I am not sure how you can politely keep them from looking in the house for bathrooms if they need one and can't wait in the line that will surely form outside the one you have decided to make available.

It sounds as if you started out with the thought of a fun end-of-year cookout that would be controllable and you have ended up with way too many folks for your comfort zone.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

That's so sad, bestyears. I'm so sorry. I saw a post on FB today about Dry Drowning, which I've never heard about.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dry Drowning

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Yes the porta potty thing will have some snags. I personally do not think porta potties rude being that there are so many kids, it’s a kid party, and the kids will be wet from pool and pond. Too much wet to spread throughout the house! The snags could come from the moms who might give “are you kidding” glances toward the potties. Plus, women can be nosy and since your home looks so nice on the outside they are going to want to peep on the inside.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I also concur on lifeguards.

Also, Kohler has these fancy portable restrooms that look like a trailer. I've used these at events, and they are extremely nice and not a typical port-a-potty. The toilets actually flush.

Here is a link that might be useful: fancy outdoor toilets

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

oops, double post

This post was edited by gsciencechick on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 21:48

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. Finally at my laptop and can type!

FIRST -- I didn't ask a question about lifeguards because that is a given. We have always hired lifeguards for pool parties, and for this home, we hire 2 ... one for the pool and one for the pond. Since the kids are going to be 10-14, I think two is fine. And we also provide lifejackets for all kayakers. DH is a lawyer and even he is not suggesting waivers... That said, thank you everyone who mentioned lifeguards ... anyone with a party this size must do it and you had no way of knowing if id already thought of it.

Second, I am a little (okay a lot) weird about food. My biggest pet peeve is the kids' party comprised of pizza, cake and capri sun. I think that is disgusting. I always serve very good quality food, and the kids enjoy it. Even kids know good food. I DID forget to mention I will have a ton of snack bags (popcorn, pretzels, sunchips). Last year I did real fruit popsicles, too.

I think this year I will let people bring a dessert and or cold beverage of their choice. I am very anti soda and juice. But by allowing people to bring a beverage, some adults can drink if they want but it's their stuff not mine. I don't anticipate a problem, as we do know most of these people from volunteering. We will provide waters.

Third, I realize it was silly to ask you guys about the parking thing. You are missing information. It is impossible to park on our narrow country road. Just not possible. The cars will need to be parked very carefully, and some will be on our neighbors' lot. So I know valet parking sounds like we are being fancy pants but it is really just about fitting the cars (thank goodness some kids will be dropped off).

Bathrooms - thanks for all the input. I hate porta potties and would never have thought of them but saw them at a recent (casual) party. That person does have a very small house though, so maybe they only have 1 BA. The BA by the pool is the most obvious and may be sufficient. Love the idea to assign one of the cleaning people to keeping it fresh! I think we will also direct adults to one of the indoor ones. I don't feel the need to close up or lock the house. I just want to dissuade wet traffic.

Cyn, We have always done it as one party. This is our second year doing it at this house. I think there are a few reasons it ballooned. One, it is not on the last day of school, as it was traditionally. A lot of people are gone by then. Two, i formally invited siblings and parents, as opposed to prior years when a lot of people asked to come but a lot didnt know. Three, the kids really loved the party last year (we have kayak races, a fishing derby, plus the swimming in pond and pool) so I think it has been talked up. I am not uncomfortable, but when it occurred to me it was now the size of some weddings, I decided to beef up the staffing and seek some advice!

Daisy,
    Thank you for your input, and good wishes!

Bestyears, I totally agree about blase parents around swimming. Then I have the ones that don't want to leave them, and apologize for hanging around. I always totally get that!

Allison, yes, it is all visible on the evite. The evite also mentions we will have 2 lifeguards. And we know most of the families. Some of the ones we know best we have already deputized to co-lifeguard.

Roarah, Goodluck! It sounds sooo cute! I forgot, yes, I will have dry snack bags ... those are easy to donate after the fact. Good idea about how to handle the alcohol. I think it is supposed to be nice tomorrow?

Jterri, This is a kids party with the primary focus on outdoors. We have a lot of seating around, probably for about 50 bottoms, but I expect people to sit on towels on the lawn too..... so more casual then you may be thinking. It will be a buffet set up in our dining room. So we won't have servers per se. Our dining room is like a large sunroom with a stone floor, and at either end are french doors out to the stone patio. So we will have people come in one end and out the other .... no servers, just helpers and cleaners.

Annie -- we have 7 ba so the septic system is pretty big. But maybe we should have it pumped in advance. (gee, where IS that wedding present? LOL) We had a party for 70 adults last year and it was fine.

Graywing, I am taking your idea of having people bring drinks, and I will provide just water. Perfect.

Sueb! Sounds like a fun party. We can't park on our narrow country road, at all, bummer. No worries about sounding snarky. It is not as though I will get out a bullhorn and say "PEOPLE. DO NOT ENTER MY HALLOWED HOME under any circumstances." I agree that is rude! I don't want wet children traipsing through my home if it can be averted. But someone suggested a separate adult bathroom, and I think I will do it that way. Who knows, we may not even have people looking for a 2nd BA.

Busybee, The party is 4-8pm. I think i will limit it to bringing desserts, and as someone mentioned, request they take leftovers. It will at least minimize it! I think you are right about dogs vs burgers ... never thought of that before!

Eandhl, yes, I didnt even ask about lifeguards because it's a given. What is Calm Aid? We don't mind people hanging around, that is part of the fun of having all the space and property. You take the good with the bad when you have a party, as i see it!

Oakley, No, the woman who cooks for us will premake all the dogs and quesadillas and have them in the warming oven. She will make burgers as we go. DH is very busy loading kids in and out of kayaks and fitting lifejackets. I will let others bring desserts, but the kids don't care much. They are much more into the kayak races and fishing derby and itune gift card prizes we give out!

Kelly! Thank you for several great ideas. The cleaning person maintaining the BA. Small hamburgers (I go crazzzzy when kids eat half and throw it out or leave it on a plate. SLIDERS!!) And you are right, people LIKE to bring something. I know i always do.

Fun2, good point about choices. I guess you end up serving more food when you give a choice! Well, that's already a fait accompli. I think the consensus is anti porta-potty, but that is a super point about purell!

Chispa - yes, we have 2 lifeg.

Bestyears, Thanks for the idea of to-go containers!! I agree with you about freezing left overs, but we also need to premake a lot of it. Only kidding about xanax, folks! All these great ideas will mean I won't need it.

Lyfia, thank you. I am totally taking your idea of adult potty (inside) and kid potty (accessible from outside, since they will probably be wet).

Whew, think i got all the comments. All kidding aside, it is a big undertaking and not without its various risks. But all of the kids have such a wonderful time. This is what a property like this is for, and these events are some of the best memories we have. I just want to do as much as I can in advance to make it smooth and pleasant for everyone, including me!

Thanks once again for the GW collective wisdom.

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

I actually think you need three lifeguards. You need a floater to allow for breaks (four hours is a long, uninterrupted shift to keep your focus) and also variations in the number of people using the pool and pond. It will ebb and flow, and from time to time a second one would be useful.

And should there be any small incident, even a false alarm with just a scared kid getting dunked, that will draw the guard's focus away from the other people using the pond/pool. That's where a floater really will pay off.

And should there actually be - God forbid - the need.for a serious rescue, an extra hand to help while the other one clears the other venue, will be essential.

Two would be fine if you had one pool, but with two simming/water places, then I really urge you to have three.

(signed) long-time former lifeguard
    (AKA Liriodendron).

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

delete for the double!

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 23:21

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

For a hundred people you will still need at least four people. The reason I called the help” servers” is that it’s better that they have serving experience. Then they will have knowledge on restocking the buffet and have food handling awareness, plus they would have enough knowledge to assist with your cook. Servers hired for parties do not just serve, they also help set up and clean up and will keep an eye on restroom cleanliness, and restocking and assisting with helping the cook. One person in the server group could first help the others on setup and then handle the rest rooms. You can assign them anyway you want. Still, if there is food it’s good to have people with some server experience even if it’s a causal affair. Things just run smoother. You will then get people who will also keep the buffet tidy, clean and organized. Servers also have much better experience on how to speak to guests and handle different situations. More so than a regular cleaning person because servers deal with hundreds of different people within any given week. Plus, with all the future parties you will be having at your lovely residence you always get the numbers of the servers you like for future use. The kid’s party is more of a practice round.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Didn't read every word of this but, please check your insurance regarding having the gardener park the cars. What if he dings another car, or worse? Whose is liable? It could even turn out that his insurance would have to pay, I don't know. Anyway --please call your insurance agent and find out.

A porta-potty is a good idea and lifeguards are a really good idea.

• User
    10 years ago

Agree with 3 guards. My daughter was a lifeguard in college and they--- like most other large university gym pools--- are certified by Ellis and Associates, who allow guards to be on deck for only 40 min at a time with a break between shifts. Three guards would be your minimum.

I would either serve the alcohol myself or have none. A BYOB at that kind of event almost forces you to serve the people who've neglected or forgotten to bring their own. If you serve it you can control it, maybe some kind of refreshing wine spritzers or prosecco drinks, just one kind ( sort of like serving mint juleps at a derby party). The less alcohol you serve the easier it will be to get rid of them, lol, at that size gathering you inevitably have a group of six or seven who just don't know when to leave.

Parking--- for really large groups, we use two guys (usually teenagers we know). One uses flags and wild gesticulations to direct people to parking areas and the other brings them up to the house in the golf cart. This way they park their own cars and keep their keys so we don't have to worry about anyone wrecking the former or losing the latter.

Food: 1 hamburger, 1 hot dog per person, 45 quesadillas. You will have leftovers but you'll have enough for everyone. Agree heartily with water as only beverage--- no sodas or tea. The only exception would be cups and ice available in addition to water bottles. If people bring desserts you should specify what to bring, otherwise you may have big smears of chocolate pudding all over your stone house upholstery. One thing you could do instead is ask everyone to bring a school notebook or other supplies to help the local charities get a head start on collecting supplies for needy kids next fall. That way they've brought something, fulfilling their part of the social contract, and you're not dealing with keepi g track of other people's bowls and pans.

In addition to the parkers, for 100 people I would have at least three people serving, tidying, refilling, cooking, and then your lifeguards. You may want to make a playlist of the years most popular songs that your older kids have listened to this year. Have fun!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

When we had my brother's wedding at our house, we got the police explorers to help park cars. I think they are part of the Boy Scouts. They can't direct traffic and won't park cars, but they will direct them to where you want them to park, and help guide the driver into the specific spot.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

On beverages: I work with college age kids and starting this last academic year, we switched to serving only water at all events at which we had food/beverages. This was after noticing that given the choice of sodas, juices and bottled water the water seemed to be by FAR the most popular option.

So, we are now only offering bottled water. It is easier, cheaper and we've not gotten any complaints. I think culturally bottled water is so ubiquitous that nobody really minds if that is all that is offered.

And I agree with mtn, it is a nice subtle way to encourage healthy eating habits--nobody NEEDS sugar water anyway!

Ann

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

Just a thought on the port-a-potty situation, since someone else suggested two potties. Kids are used to bathrooms marked GIRLS or BOYS, and may not want to take time to go into the pool house, anyway. Do the same on the potty doors--a big sign on each, marked GIRLS, or BOYS, and in smaller print, "Pool house bathroom is also available."

Adults will know that they're welcome to use the pool house, but kid traffic will be reduced, especially if you site the potties in a strategic location. And, excited kids probably won't even read the smaller print. ;)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Sounds like you have it all under control. Have fun!

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Good luck - now all you need is good weather!

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

I just spotted this in the new issue of Good Housekeeping:

2: number of hot dogs per person
    4: disposable cups per person (yikes!)
    2: paper plates per person
    10 square feet: area of protection you'll get from a bug-repelling candle.

(and just in case you'll be piping in music:
    68: number of tunes to put on your iPod for a 4-hour party.
    ... that must've been a fun one to test out!)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I haven't read all the replies here but do what to comment on port a potties. They make nice ones too, that cost more, but are like a real bathroom with sink, air conditioning/heat, towels, etc. A friend rented one for an outdoor wedding.

I am glad you are having dessert available. That was the most troubling part of the whole shebang! No dessert? What?!

I will never in a thousand years see a strawberry as dessert unless it's stuffed with whipped cream and dipped in chocolate.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

For anyone who might be reading this: aroyalflush.com, portable bathroom trailers.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whew ... we are at 115; 42 adults and 73 kids. We have upped it to 3 lifeguards. We have a cook, 2 servers, and 2 parking people.

My DD and I just went through and took notes on all your suggestions. This has been tremendously helpful!

Thank you, all!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

You mentioned some of your friends will help with the life guarding. I totally agree.
    With a party this size, use your closest friends to help by telling them exactly where they need to be. At a gathering like this one, people start socializing and forget that this is primarily a party for the children. So, you may have to direct people to stations, "Sally, can you please watch this end of the pool, while Joe watches the deep end?"
    I would nix the alcohol. Again, this is a party for children and in the afternoon. Adults should be able to go four hours without an alcoholic beverage.
    Although I have never hosted a party this size,I did run community events for the Girl Scouts and our priority was always having enough coverage and safety.
    It is great that you are opening up your beautiful home and sharing it with your children's friends. Enjoy the day and let us know how it turned out.

• roarah
    10 years ago

WOW you are amazing! One rule I have, when we have more than a few children in the pool at a time, is no rafts, boats or chaises in the pool. Kids jump on them and if someone in under it and gets hurt they are not visable to the life guards. I do allow noddles and life jackets but no other floating obstructions. The kids never complain and I feel safer. Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful time!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Funny, roarah, we were just putting away the pool toys for that very reason!

How was your party? Saturday was gorgeous!

• roarah
    10 years ago

It was lovely and all had fun and stayed safe. Thanks and i hope yours is perfect!

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

Mtnx,

Did you have your party yet and if so how was it?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lyban,

That is so sweet of you to ask!

Yes, we had the party.

And, we had a lot of panic, too. : )

The RSVPs inched up past 120. By that point I had engaged 4 lifeguards, 2 valet people, 2 cleaning people, and chef. So I was not too worried.

Then we had monsoon season. The ground was wet and soggy, and more rain threatened. One chance I could not take was 120+ wet/muddy people looking for shelter from thunderstorms!

So, I moved the party back one day. The weather was perfect. The crowd thinned down to about 90 with the change of date. We had a fantastic time. The kids really love the kayak races and the fishing, and some of the little siblings were very into our koi!

There was no need for a porta potty, btw, and only a few adults wondered in and used a house bathroom. I kept the menu very simple, but the food was delicious and fresh made and everyone enjoyed it. I dissuaded people from bringing anything but we did a get a few desserts, which were polished off handily. I rounded it out with a stash of cookies.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Hey Mtn~ The last I recall there was talk of Koi... Did you get the pond in already ? I must have missed those pics :(

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the pond has been in a while. I haven't posted photos yet but I will. So far we just love them.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

So glad for the update...I was wondering how you did....and you were wise to move the date based on the weather we've been having. Yikes! So glad a good time was had by all.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

Oh that is good news. I am glad all went well.
    That is a lot of people, I admire you because I know I Could not handle that

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Thanks for the update! It sounds like a really fun party.

Beth P.