Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

washer broken - again!

daisychain01
10 years ago

Caution: rant a head.

I am so mad right now I could rip the head right off that Maytag repair man.

18 months ago my 30 year old washer that I inherited from the previous owners of our house finally died. In the 14 years that I used it, I never once needed to have it repaired.

At the time it died, my dh was living half way around the globe and I was incredibly stressed at work and home trying to take care of everything on my own (don't know how single moms do it). I took my MIL's advice and quickly bought a Maytag 3000 series. The reviews were okay, but everyone online basically said that most new washers are made very poorly and you're lucky to get 3 years out of them.

Well the stupid thing has just died for the second time in 18 months. It is end of term at work and I am at the end of my tether stress wise already. I would like to find a tall cliff and throw this thing off. I have a mountain of laundry and last time this happened, it took 2 weeks to get their "authorized" person out to fix it.

How is it that companies can keep doing this? Do we really have no recourse for getting them make a quality product? I think I am going to just have them pick it up and go and buy a used old one.

Comments (12)

• User
    10 years ago

" I think I am going to just have them pick it up and go and buy a used old one"

precisely ! When my Mom's 35 yr old washer gave up the ghost I went out looking for a new one. Ha...I wasn't interested in low water use or in all those dang buttons. Also the price was crazy !! I called the repairman that had looked at Mom's washer and he said come look at the older models that he rebuilds and sells with a warranty. I was out the door and down the road in minutes.

Boy was I glad. I got a great washer/dryer that were the last ones made that use the regular amount of water. Cost me $150 for each piece ...so $300 for all with warranty. That was 3yrs ago ...I think..or more. I am still very happy with the units. They are not cosmetically gorgeous...but I don't care. They WORK and they were cheap and I haven't had a minutes worry. When/if they die I will go back to him and get another set. Make sure and try to do this before you get new. Good Luck...here is a pic of my babies :)

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trailrunner, I am soooooo jealous!

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Honestly, this is the precise reason I chose to purchase a set with the fewest bells and whistles. It was lower-mid-range, plain ugly white, but I wanted one with the least amount of possibility of break down. Xcrosses fingersX so far it's held up for over 3 years of daily, often heavy, use. My DD bought a fully loaded set of front loaders in a vanity color and doesn't use them any more as she's had nothing but problems. She does runs to the laundromat!

Things are made with the cheapest, lightest possible parts so it's cheaper to ship them-and you KNOW there is very little quality control. Consumers are used to being part of a disposable society, and if they're willing to A. purchase the extended warranty and B. put up with garbage-well, that's what we're gonna get.

C-I did you paint your set? It appears black-but is it chocolate brown?

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also noticed that in the manual, they tell you that if you aren't using it correctly or if the repairman finds something that was left in a pocket (haven't we all missed a kleenex or coin) in the workings of the machine, then the warranty is nixed.

I have been doing laundry without incident for 35 years, if they even dare to suggest that it is my fault, I will not be responsible for my actions.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I would not buy an old or used washer. When they fail, they can fail in dramatic fashion. Not worth the risk!

Right now we have two dehumidifiers, two huge HEPA filters, and ten heavy-duty fans running in our house due to a level switch dying on our 13 year old Kenmore washer. It overflowed for about 20 minutes and came down through the kitchen lights, so carpet, sheetrock, and ceiling had to be pulled out on both floors. We replaced the hoses last year, which should be done every 5 years, but we never knew a switch could fail and flood our house.

We bought a new SpeedQueen washer and dryer a few days ago on the recommendation of the appliance salesperson. He said they last 10-15 years, while the other brands last about 8.

• User
    10 years ago

Well I have only had 2 washer/dryers in 42 yrs of marriage. My first and then my Mom's. Now I have the used ones that I bought. I have never heard of replacing hoses. All I know is that you should get the special metal collar at the turn on /off area. That is all that has ever failed on any of my washers. I wouldn't have a new set in my house. Give me the old reworked tried and true. I'll take my chances. I am sorry may that you are going through this !! Wow..what a mess. I know how bad it is to have a washer on the 2nd floor of a house...my SIL had that problem...always have them downstairs :)

Pesky..nope no paint by me in fact they don't make this color in touch up either...I tried to get it to color them in the places that were not perfect but was unable. They are a smoke color. I am so happy with them that the few scratches make "no nevermind" to me :) c

• moonshadow
    10 years ago

I just had to replace my washing machine. No more bells and whistles for me, I wanted old school. I chose a new Speed Queen and so far DH and I think it's going to be a really good machine.

• User
    10 years ago

I had a washer dryer combo for many years, and when they failed in 2002 I purchased a new Maytag set---and they lasted about three or four years. I replaced them with Bosch appliances (front loader wash) with more bells and whistles than I've ever known on an appliance, and they've been workhorses. I think think its important nowadays to find out where the appliances are actually manufactured.

C, I love your chocolate color appliances... What's old is new again!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I also had a set for many years and when the washer died, we decided to replace both. I spent a good bit of time researching what to buy. We bought fisher paykel and I LOVE them. They are about 3 years old and so far - doing great. I love how energy efficient they are. Honestly, this is a product I would gladly do a commercial for. LOL

Do your homework before buying. While I don't have expectations these will last as long as our first pair, I'm hopeful we will have them for many years.

tina

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Speed Queen is made in Wisconsin. They're not inexpensive. We paid around $1500 for the pair. In the fancy machines, that cost goes into expensive electronics that are more likely to fail and more expensive to repair or replace. Speed Queen uses more steel in their washers than Whirlpool and others, so that's what you're paying for.

We were also shown the Maytag Bravos W/D and were told we'd get 5-8 years out of them for our $1600. It's a shame what Whirlpool has done to the Maytag name.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

DH bought new Whirlpool Gold W&D when he bought the house 10 years ago. The washer lasted 3 years and had tons of problems and repairs. Seriously it was probably a lemon, but good luck trying to go for lemon law. What really stunk is we thought this washer was finally OK right after we got married since it was repaired again, and I left a practically new washer at my former home when I moved here.

Finally, when it broke over Christmas holidays we just gave up and got a Frigidaire Affinity Frontloader from Lowe's. It has been OK. It's had some issues, but now we downloaded the repair manual and when the drain trap got clogged (as it turns out with a pair of my undies--I now use a mesh bag) we fixed it ourselves. It was out of regular and extended warranty and when it had a repair, the tech did not seem to know what he was doing. We figured we could not do any worse, and if we got in over our heads, we would then call for repairs. It's been good since that time.

The original Whirlpool dryer is hanging in there so far.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Be careful with the mesh bags. First, you have to always remember to clear it out. Second, that might not work either. The plumber suggested I put a nylon stocking in my drain pipe to catch lint and debris to reduce clogs. It did not last one load without forming a round clump that plugged the pipe. So the washer drained into the house instead.

And it does not take an old washer to have the water level device fail! This happened at a friend's house with a new washer. They had to have all their floors refinished.

I've got an old (maybe 14 years) mechanical Maytag which I was advised to hold onto and repair instead of replace because they don't make them like this anymore. When the time does come, I hope to find another non-electronic set. They can last forever.