Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

What's your go-to 'calming' music?

pammyfay
9 years ago

I need some good wind-down music for when I leave work (I have a deadline-oriented job -- specific times I have to hit, whether or not the folks doing their work before it comes to me hit their deadlines).

Everything on my iPod is "up" music for the ride TO work.

So what artists/songs do you turn to when you need to slide into relaxation mode?

Comments (27)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

We have a local classical station. I just turn that on.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Billie Holiday.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

Do you like books? If so I'd recommend audio books - they are the only thing that will get my mind thinking about something else. Although I do have the issue of not wanting to leave my car when I get home.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Early Celtic Woman and Lifescapes: Relaxation for Women. I use the latter on those rare nights when I can't sleep. I usually fall asleep before the CD ends.

• Lars
    9 years ago

Pink Floyd or Cesaria Evora. I also like 1960s Italian Cinecitta soundtracks, especially ones with Nino Rota (La Doce Via, Juliet of the Spirits, etc.).

You can also get some 1950s lounge music, which my brother likes.

Lars

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I have so, so much. I like natural sounds without music--waves, waterfalls, rain, thunder, birdsong -- lots and lots of birdsong. I almost always have something like playing in the background when I'm not listening to actual song type music or have the tv on. I can give you specific album names, if you like.

I also like various low key world music stuff -- shaman drums, tibetan chants, classical Indian music --

I also am a big fan of movie scores, which tend to be classical in feel. Not "soundtracks" with songs -- scores. I like to listen to the scores of movies I like.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I love all of Eva Cassidy's music...it makes me feel wonderful.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I listen to soundscapes all the time ... cable provided new age music...very relaxing. I have no idea who is playing what, except I love this song and so I looked it up... Sessa Nulma by David Arkenstone. I presume much of his other work would be similar. I also enjoy gregorian chants. I also enjoy Diana Krall...

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Enya, something about her music frees my mind.

• demifloyd
    9 years ago

Two have already posted mine--Eva Cassidy and Enya!

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

Classical music, always. For a relaxing background atmosphere, Baroque, such as Vivaldi, and Bach. If I want to listen closely, then it's Beethoven, Chopin, and Mendelssohn. Conducting a Beethoven symphony or concerto in my living room is a wonderful workout!

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Two of my favorites are Enya, especially her "Caribbean Blue", and Vivaldi's "Four Seasons".
    Lynn

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

ItâÂÂs hard for me to just name one as my tastes cover about every sort of music and it all depends on my mood. I guess my most often go to is Melody Gardot CDâÂÂs Worrisome Heart and My One and Only Thrill. In fact, I still havenâÂÂt set up my media center after the move but Melody will be my first listen when itâÂÂs done (and when I can find the box she is in).

• tfitz1006
    9 years ago

For me it is either Van Morrison's remake of Astral Weeks at the Hollywood Bowl-sublime....otherwise some Lyle Lovett or Amos Lee.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Radio stations via Itunes, like Live 365, can be played in the car...I think it's a small fee per month to do so...but they have about a zillion categories of music. They have a category for ambient which is chock full of all different kinds of relaxing music be it new age, meditation, smooth jazz, club music or whatever...some are just piano music, or guitar or harp. I usually just listen on the computer to the free stuff which has an occasional ad. I actually prefer to listen to the french stations as the ads are in french which I find less annoying. But if you pay, no ads.

But when I was working, sometimes I was so wound up, no relaxing music would do it. I'd put on something hard with a strong beat and sing it at the top of my lungs ... to the detriment of other drivers. ;) I needed a more all encompassing sound to meet my stress level.

• User
    9 years ago

Interesting question. We have a wireless sonos system throughout our house and outside, which draws from both DH's music drive and my iTunes account. I have playlists for every possible mood, season, event, emotion, etc. I love music passionately and having it on makes a tremendous difference in my happiness level.

If I am truly upset about something I go to Beethoven Symphony No. 7 in A Major, OP. 92: 11. Allegretto. I have many different recordings on this symphony and they are all wonderful.

If I need to blow off steam I play Bach on the piano. It takes so much concentration I have to let go of whatever else is in my mind!

• lovemrmewey
    9 years ago

I listen to classical music almost exclusively, but recently heard 'Passenger' and something about his voice makes me feel very mellow.

• lee676
    9 years ago

> For me it is either Van Morrison's remake of Astral Weeks at the Hollywood Bowl -sublime.

I need to check this one out.... the original album is one of my alltime faves, wonderfully original music that's steeped in rock, jazz, and folk yet somehow isn't really any of those. Moondance and Tupelo Honey are great too.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

"Pachelbel in the Garden" is my go-to cd for truly calming and relaxing music. I first found it years ago in my bird seed store. It is one in the series of Dan Gibson's Solitudes. You can get it from Amazon now. I play it in the car, at home, and at school where I teach explosive kiddoes. Love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pachelbel in the Garden

• polly929
    9 years ago

Enya and Sarah McLachlan.

• peegee
    9 years ago

classical or jazz (no vocals)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Annie, I had to check out David Arkenstone-knew there had to be a Tolkien connection because of his name. Interesting. I like his work and as a Tolkien fanatic, I think it is fun that he has composed a series on Music from Middle Earth. Always good to find new music. Thanks!

• tfitz1006
    9 years ago

Lee, check out the new Astral Weeks. He sounds, to me, better than the original, which is one of my favs of all time. The last bonus track, Common One, is a spectacular "call and response" song.

I also listen to the Broadway channel on Sirius if I need to brighten my day.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

As I read all these suggestions (and I did go listen to the new Astral Weeks-wow, love him), I began to realize that, for me, all music is calming. It takes me away from the reality of any given moment and transports me in some way, whether it is jazz, rock, classical, R&B, soul, Motown, show tunes. It really doesn't matter. It is all wonderful.

• alisande
    9 years ago

This CD, especially the first track (which doesn't sound like any of the familiar "Ave Marias"), melts tension from my body. It's like taking a cleansing breath in labor. Amazingly, I can still drive safely while listening. ;-)

Ashana: All is Forgiven

Also, when I heard that Charlie Haden died today, I thought of this soft and soothing CD:

Beyond the Missouri Sky

This post was edited by alisande on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 22:32

• peony4
    9 years ago

Metallica. Really loud, but only when I'm alone in my car, as a stress reliever. And if you knew me in the three-dimensional world, you'd never believe it. No one knows this about me, but me. And now, all of you.

Speaking of Van Morrison, my husband and I dance to "Into the Mystic" in front of the kids to embarrass them. Cat Stevens (as he was formally known) also has a number of earthy tunes that can bring you back to what's important.

Editing to add that our kids are of the eye-rolling stage... we dance together to show them examples of a loving relationship, not to do any psychological damage.

This post was edited by peony4 on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 0:05

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Dan Fogelberg. He's the only artist I have on my iPod. I first saw him in Concert in '74 opening for the Eagles and have loved his music every since. His music literally soothes my soul. Whenever I'm stressed I plug in my Bose and zone out. I'm calm within minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dan Fogelberg videos by JMEagle