Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyeng

The Fast Diet

kellyeng
10 years ago

We watched a show on PBS last night, "Eat, Fast & Live Longer." It's one show in a three part series by Dr. Michael Mosley.

Mosley also wrote a book, "The Fast Diet" and apparently it's very popular in the UK. The gist of the diet is that you eat normally five days a week (2000 calories for women), and two days a week you eat a quarter of that (500 calories).

Studies have found that calorie restriction has huge benefits of preventing disease and extending life. Of course, you have to optimize nutrition if you reduce calories drastically.

Two things struck me the most about this.

One: studies show that if you do intermittent fasting, there is virtually no loss of muscle. Almost all the weight lost comes from fat.

Two: starvation mode is a myth. Your metabolism does slow down in response to a decrease in calorie intake but not enough to actually inhibit weight loss.

DH really wants to do this, but I'm undecided. My biggest concern is that when I'm very strict with my diet, I tend to burn out after a while and gain a bunch of weight. However, this seems more reasonable because you get to eat "normal" on most days.

Hmmm...

Here is a link that might be useful: Michael Mosley Interview

Comments (24)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Interesting. The first thing that occurred to me is that 2,000 calories a day sounds like a lot for the average woman.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Yeah, I'm very disappointed in myself when I do that!! But I've heard that number before.

I've always felt better after fasting. Don't enjoy not eating though, lol.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 13:46

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I don't know about the diet itself and if that works for you, but simple math says it would work. To loose one pound a week you need to either cut 3500 calories or increase your exercise to cut the 3500 calories.

So with 2000x7=14000 caloeries in a week
    Then 2x500 +5*2000 = 11000 calories in a week.

Thus you're 3000 calories less and would loose .85lbs/week

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I thought 2000 sounded a little high also. I've never tried fasting, other than overnight or a day at a time for medical reasons, but it's not something I want to do on a regular basis.

For me what works the best is not "dieting". I firmly believe you have to change your way of eating (and exercising, etc.) to lose weight and to maintain the weight loss.

That's not to say that there are not times we overindulge and need to cut back or cut out certain things for a few days.

I'm curious. On the fasting days - did they give an example of what you'd eat? I tend to get headaches and shaky when going without food or very, very low cal.

tina

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

That wouldn't work for me - 2000 calories is way more than I normally eat. I too gave up on diets a long time ago. I finally realized the way to go is simply a well balanced diet with everything in moderation along with regular exercise - a lifestyle I can adopt for life. Amount consumed can't exceed amount burned and I manage to that with by traciking with an iPhone app. My weight now stays within a few pounds of my goal. If I want to lose a few pounds I cut back on consumption and/or increase exercise.

• kellyeng
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2000 calories is the FDA's recommendation for the average woman to maintain a healthy weight. It's on all the food labels. If you really want to know how many calories you need to maintain your weight, you'll have to figure out your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). There are online calculators.

It doesn't seem to be a temporary diet but rather a lifestyle change because it's not just for losing weight, there are many other health benefits. Well, inconclusive health benefits thus far, but it sounds like the scientists think they might have something.

Besides weight loss, there's a lot of promising studies that show intermittent fasting could reduce many severe diseases - including cancer because it "reduces levels of a growth hormone called IGF-1, high levels of which seem to lead to accelerated aging and age-related diseases, while low levels are protective." Took that last part from the article below:

Growth hormone

The world record for extending life expectancy in a mammal is held by a new type of mouse which can expect to live an extra 40%, equivalent to a human living to 120 or even longer.

It has been genetically engineered so its body produces very low levels of a growth hormone called IGF-1, high levels of which seem to lead to accelerated ageing and age-related diseases, while low levels are protective.
    Professor Victor Longo with two Ecuadorians with Laron syndrome Professor Longo has investigated growth hormone deficiency in humans

A similar, but natural, genetic mutation has been found in humans with Laron syndrome, a rare condition that affects fewer than 350 people worldwide. The very low levels of IGF-1 their bodies produce means they are short, but this also seems to protect them against cancer and diabetes, two common age-related diseases.

The IGF-1 hormone (insulin-like growth factor) is one of the drivers which keep our bodies in go-go mode, with cells driven to reproduce. This is fine when you are growing, but not so good later in life.

There is now evidence suggesting that IGF-1 levels can be lowered by what you eat. Studies on calorie restrictors suggest that eating less helps, but it is not enough

As well as cutting calories you have to cut your protein intake. Not entirely - that would be a very bad idea. It's about sticking to recommended guidelines, something most of us fail to do.

The reason seems to be that when our bodies no longer have access to food they switch from "growth mode" to "repair mode".

As levels of the IGF-1 hormone drop, a number of repair genes appear to get switched on according to ongoing research by Professor Valter Longo of the University of Southern California.

Here is a link that might be useful: The power of intermittent fasting

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Need to try something like this. I go all day on two pieces of toast (or less) then I eat dinner and then stay up too late and eat more. It's bad and I know it. Old habits are very hard to break.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

A friend is doing this and has lost quite a bit of weight and he says he's able to maintain it no problem.

I've been doing something similar....2 days per week of very low carbs (under 50g) and I too find it very easy to maintain. I've lost about 15 lbs and have maintained that loss for nearly a year now.

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

I have been consuming around 2000 calories a day for a long time now. I go to a gym three times a week, do a lot of walking, a bit of running, etc. with my dog training, and do a bit of other sports. Over the last 6 years I have gradually put on about 8 excess pounds.

Currently I am back to dieting, and here is the only thing that has worked for me..Some days I really eat little, like maybe 7 to 8 hundred calories,, some days stick to around a thousand, and maybe once a week or so I eat-like go out to dinner or something where I do not worry at all about calories. In the last 2 1/2 weeks I have lost 6 pounds. Going for about 10 more pounds.
    And I feel better already, much less heart burn, more energy, and sleeping better.

Just to add --I am old- very old---but have dieted this way when I was younger, and it worked then also.
    Not everything works for everyone, but I really think that trying to stick to a restrictive low calorie diet every day for long periods of time is too difficult to do. With the varied calorie intake days you can go out to dinner, a party, or social occasion etc. and enjoy yourself, so makes life better. Also more fun to like plan and look forward to the eating days-favorite foods, ice cream, two glasses of wine, etc.

Read somewhere, long time ago, about one looses more weight by tricking the body periodically with eating more rather than a steady intake of 1000 or less calories a day if dieting over several weeks or months.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I remember in the old days I was doing weight watchers and I lost more weight at 1200 cal per day than 1000.

• kellyeng
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have the book coming in the mail today but I think we've decided to go for it. I can stick with my existing eating plan (gluten free/paleo) and intermittent fasting at the same time. Our fasting days will be Monday and Wednesday. Those are our most ho hum days of the week. I think I'll make some low calorie chicken soup on those days.

I'm concerned about having enough energy for exercise. I'm thinking about maybe doing less intense Zumba in the mornings while I'm still fueled by my day before dinner.

• User
    10 years ago

I'd do any diet in the world that would allow me to live with a reasonable level of physical health for old age and similar mental clarity, then drop dead suddenly at age 90 or so. Really, who wants to live past 100? Just because we can doesn't mean we should. Think of the overpopulation.... think of the utter boredom of getting up at age 110 and having to brush your teeth for the 60,000th time!

• kellyeng
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think I want to live past 100. Heck, 90 is pretty old too. By that time, I might be out of money and living with my 72 yo son. Or we can share a room at the old folks home!

No, I just want to be old and vibrant and not reliant on medication.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Interesting. let us know how it goes Kellyeng.

DH and I have been doing a juice fast (like in Fat Sick and Nearly Dead) for a couple of weeks. It has been interesting. Not a long term way to live obviously so still deciding what to do when we are finished.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

"I don't think I want to live past 100."

You might when you're 99!

It's not about age, but about health. If you feel good and are doing well, why not?

• kimberlyrkb
    10 years ago

My brother heard an interview with this same guy on the Diane Rehm show a while back and started doing the diet based on what heard. He lost 18 pounds in 6 weeks and said it was super easy - the first two fast days were sort of hard, but the remaining fast days were not difficult at all.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Kelly, let us know what your menus are for the fasting days. What seems to work for you.
    Ms-thrifty, you don't have to exercise at all to lose weight. As a matter of fact sometimes lots of exercise can work against you. We should exercise to be fit, for our heath, and for energy. You need to find a diet you are comfortable with and can do for the long haul.
    I have not been able to exercise these last six weeks and have been able to keep my weight stable. Of course I am always battling with the last five pounds. Maybe this year!

• kellyeng
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I'm almost done with my first day. Dinner in an hour!

It's been quite easy.

Woke up and had black coffee and I never drink black coffee - always with real cream. That was a revelation all by itself because it tasted pretty good!

Then I went to spin class - plenty of energy.

Ate lunch at noon: 4 egg whites, 1/2 whole egg & green smoothie = 172 calories

Dinner will be: 7 oz. red snapper in foil w/ 1 Tsp. butter, 3 cups of salad w/ 1/2 Tbl. olive oil & lemon juice for vinaigrette = 305 calories

So a total of 477 calories.

I was really hungry about an hour before lunch but that's it. Well, I'm a tiny bit hunger right now but not bad. My biggest problem was just wanting to chew something! I could chew sugar free gum but I think I want to just get used to it.

Totally doable.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I don't think I could go that long without something besides coffee in my tummy. If I tried that, I think I'd have to balance my calories a little better throughout the day. But 500 ain't a lot to work with. It'd be veg city for sure.

I wanted to mention the magic pops...they are only 15 calories but make you feel like you've eaten something. I've replaced much of the bread I used to eat (like for a sandwich) with one of these and it's a decent substitute...I mean it's not bread, but it serves the purpose.

Stew Leonards, which is a grocery store in our area, makes their own version which is what I usually buy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic pops

• jlj48
    10 years ago

Had to resurrect this thread because I started this 2 day a week diet yesterday. Today I get to eat! :) Just wondering where everyone is with this thing. I did yesterday with concentrating on low carbs (under 50 for the day). Perhaps I should focus on low calories (under 500). I'm not sure if I should focus on one or the other, or both on my fasting days but I feel great. Totally doable. I want to lose about 20 pounds total. Are some of you still doing this?

• jmck_nc
    10 years ago

I plan to try this in Sept (once I'm back at work-easier) since my weight loss has sort of stalled on paleo-ish diet. I would like to try this to shake things up a bit. I only have about 5-10 more pounds I'd like to lose. Wondering though if I should increase my calories on other days...currently eating about 1400, replacing those burned through exercise.
    Judy

• golddust
    10 years ago

I do a daily type diet check. I don't count calories but I know what is good for me and what isn't. I don't 'do' sweets of any kind. Five pounds of sugar lasts forever here unles we have company. I quit baking years ago.

If I feel hungry between meals, I mix two tablespoon Chia Seeds with unsweetened passion tea. I let it sit for ten minutes, stirring frequently, until it turns into a runny jello texture. That is my snack. Nothing is free anymore.

I used to be a size small, size 6. Now I am a medium, size 8. Post menopause, I will never see size small again. I have fattening food once in awhile but I am fully aware of how my body has changed. I think prevention is the key for me. I'd fail miserably if I had a lot of weight to lose. I'm more successful trying to keep it off.

Pasta is for Holidays. Potatoes are a twice a month indulgence. White rice is not allowed. Like I said, nothing is free anymore. It is what it is. My weight goes to my breasts first, tummy second. I used to be a 34A. Now I'm a 34C. I don't want to compete with my grand daughter and her teen body but I dont want to get round either. My exercise is working around my house and property. Living in a dust bowl with pets gives me plenty of things to do.

Nothing is free anymore and I don't see it getting easier as I push 60. I'm just trying to maintain. (Off to make our morning green goo.)

• kellyeng
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Remember, this "diet" plan isn't really for losing weight although that is the side-effect. Intermittent fasting is a life-long commitment more for health and longevity. It has nothing to do with eating low carb, sugar etc. It's simply calorie restriction for two days a week which causes a decrease in the IGF-1 growth hormone.

I found that the plan is completely doable once you get used to it. However, my doctor asked me to eat regularly every day until I get my thyroid regulated. I do plan on getting back to it once my hormone levels normalize.

• jlj48
    10 years ago

It seems totally doable to me. It was a little hard the first day, I got really hungry and had to really think about what I could put in my stomach that would be low carb and healthy, but would help me make it through the day. The next day I felt amazing. And my stomach had shrank. I ate a little oatmeal the next morning with some cut up apple and it was too much food. It felt good to be in control of my body and that does not end on the fasting days I've discovered. If this works, I will be able to do this fairly easily. I hope it works because I really like to live my life. I try to eat healthy anyway and stay active, but life is meant to be enjoyed. I LIKE to have dessert or potato chips once in a while. I don't want to be on a diet every day for life. This fits my lifestyle better and I feel better. I just wasn't sure if I should be watching carbs,, calories, or both on my fasting days. I've tried to keep both extremely low.