Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlsch

Do you get immobilized when decorating?

jlsch
11 years ago

Do any of you get in a place where you just can't move forward? I currently have a small (9"X11") room that is a mess. For at least 2 years, I've wanted to empty it and redo it. It is my 'office', and I spend a lot of time there on the computer. It is the last room in the house that needs to have wallpaper stripped down, which is such a chore. (This house had wallpaper everywhere, including closets!) But more inhibiting is that there are piles of work related paper references, and genealogy photos/papers/etc. I need to organize in a very big way! I feel discouraged/depressed that I can't even begin to tackle it. Just wondering if any of you have this problem and what do you do about it?! I wish I could afford to have someone else come in and do it......

Comments (6)

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Wigardener, break it down into small tasks. Do a little bit every day, & it will all get done! It feels overwhelming when you think about the task as a whole. Don't do that! Just start. You will feel such a sense of accomplishment every day as you whittle down the job. Make a pile for KEEP, a pile for DONATE, a pile for SELL, if that applies.

Don't even think about decorating until you are 100% organized. One step at a time! The space will look & feel so much better once you have a place for everything and everything in its place. You will then surely feel inspired to take the next move with paint colors, etc.
    The key to success here is BABY steps!

Good luck! I know you can do it, and you'll do a great job. You sound very motivated and ready for change!

• jennifer_in_kansas
    11 years ago

If you were in Kansas I'd be there in heartbeat to help.

Stinky's right, just take it one step at a time. I sort paperwork in Like stacks and then drill down from there.

If you keep your decorating vision in mind while you sort it should help. Do you need a new filing cabinet for your paperwork or a desk enough space? Would you prefer to store your genealogy project in a cute box on a new bookshelf or is a clear container in the closet a better fit for you?

I don't get overwhelmed by the organizing but do with decorating.

Jump in and get started! I think you'll feel better once you do.

Jennifer

• teacats
    11 years ago

first buy a bunch of cheap plastic tubs with lids ... and simply pile papers (sort into big piles first) into each box. Label each box and stack them in a spot out of the room.

Then take a few good big breaths and step into the room. Get it done. Fresh clean and re-done!! Keep repeating that phrase.

Decide on what is needed for your space. Basic put-it-together shelving in white from Walmart or Target. Add smaller plastic boxes to hold "stuff"

Add lamps all around the space. Add lots of bulletin boards full of old photos.

Post Before and After Pics here! :)

• User
    11 years ago

In a word, yes!

• funnygirl
    11 years ago

What a fun opportunity you have! I wish I could help, too. You've been given great advice and the only thing I would add is to take advantage of the valuable vertical real estate you have. Tall wall units w/well thought out storage will go a long way in organizing your papers, etc. Sorting, discarding and removing everything from your room, removing the wall paper, prepping the walls and painting are probably what you are dreading most but once that is done the rest will be fun and rewarding. Just take it one step at a time and before you know it you'll be enjoying your new office.

If you don't have a vision for your room, perhaps a site such as Pinterest would be of help w/inspiration?

• jlsch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all your words of encouragement! I actually worked on some paper sorting today...a step in the process anyways. You've hit the nail on the head funnygirl, the organizing is especially overwhelming to me, and of course wallpaper removal isn't much fun either. I need to figure out a system to organize my professional books/resources so they are accessible and can be used. As you've all said, just devoting some time each day should get me there. Maybe I need to hang some inspiration pictures on the walls.... When I get to the point of actually figuring out the fun parts of decorating, I'll be back on the other side for input. Thanks for your support!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living