Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

Vacation suggestions

deegw
10 years ago

Trying to think of an impromptu vacation for our family. It will have to be short - 4 nights or less. I have two older teen girls. To save travel time we would need a destination within a five hour or so drive from GA/FL border or non stop flight from Jacksonville, FL.

We are fairly active but also enjoy history and museums. Beach vacations are out - we live within a mile of the beach and both girls work at fancy beach resorts. We go to DC often so I'd like to do something different. We would love someplace that might be cooler and less humid.

Our budget is fairly flexible. I asked my family what they would like to do and they weren't very helpful. If anyone has ideas I would love to hear them!

Comments (24)

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I'm not sure about the non-stop flight time, but I'm in TN. Both sides of the Smoky Mountain area would be cooler than Jacksonville, but we're still pretty warm and humid here. However, there are areas in both TN and NC that you might enjoy. Highlands, Blowing Rock, Asheville, Hendersonville, etc. are on the NC side. Townsend is one on the TN side but you could search for mountain cabins/condos, etc. on either side. I'd stay away from the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area unless you like the hustle/bustle/traffic, etc. of a touristy area.

There are also alot of lake locations in both these areas, if you are interested in that.

tina

• User
    10 years ago

I don't think there is a direct flight from JAX, but as I used to travel there quite frequently, I know there are one-stop flights with good connections, so I will suggest Burlington, Vermont. It's a funky and fun college town (population 100k in the greater Burlington area) with lots of great places to eat and explore. It's close to hiking in VT and NY (Adirondacks), Lake Placid, Stowe, the Ben & Jerry's factory, Lake Champlain and many recreational activities. Montreal is only 1.5 hours away, and so much fun and very old world. We do get some humidity, but nothing like you do in FLA, and it gets downright cool at night, sweaters and long pants are must haves, yes, even for July and August.

Have fun-

sandyponder

• ellendi
    10 years ago

New York City

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i 2nd burlington, vt!

• deegw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We love VT too and often visit family in Southern VT. Unfortunately it is a long day of travel for us. We live 90 minutes from the Jacksonville airport. Add security times, layovers and the connecting flight and we are lucky if we can do it in under 9 hours.

Keep the ideas coming. I'll suggest NYC and NC at dinner tonight.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Go to DC...so many fabulous things to see and do from monuments to museums to the zoo to Arlington Cemetery. Fly into Reagan Nat'l and you don't even need a rental car...you can do everything from their subway system. Great restaurants too....

• sis3
    10 years ago

Franklin TN ( very human side of the history of the Civil war) and Nashville? We stayed in a lovely B & B near Franklin.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Another NYC, how could you ever get bored? Sorry people, but Burlington is dull to me!
    Asheville, exciting, but you have to seek out the fun stuff. Biltmore alone is worth the trip.

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Have the girls or anyone expressed any specific wishes? I love a vacation that includes water sports, hiking, etc. -if that is up their alley, I would rent a lake house in western NC....

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    10 years ago

I have been trying to come up with a similar trip for us leaving from the Midwest. I thought about NYC but shoot, I can pay for a lot of college tuition for what a hotel costs. Any ideas for a reasonable hotel near tourist attractions?

Deee, how about Chicago? Also Sky Blue has cheap fares on sale for the next few days good July through September.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

rn, yes Manhattan hotels are very expensive. Look into Williamsburgh, in Brooklyn! There are ten hotels there. It is a gentrified young hip area. Lots of fun restaurants. My daughter lived there for a year, I never really explored everything, but I am sure there are galleries etc.
    But, the main thing is that it is a close train ride into the city.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i love asheville and nyc, but don't think of them as places to escape the heat...

williamsburg, va, w&m, busch gardens area is a nice place to visit- tho also hot in the summer...

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I agree with busybee. That is why I did not mention DC or NYC and I also was not sure of the travel time.

Bumble, just another case of different strokes for different folks. LOL I do enjoy Asheville, but I could probably take or leave Biltmore. Then again, I've seen it tons of time. But I'm also one who would rather do the hiking, boating, etc. stuff moreso than the galleries, shopping, etc.

Sis - we were just in the Franklin area for several days a few weeks ago. Liepers Fork, actually. Do you live in that area?

tina

• User
    10 years ago

Brandywine Valley area of PA; museums, beautiful scenery, fun shopping, gardens, and a direct flight to Philly can probably be had from JAX.

Also, Mystic, CT is a lot of fun and Rochester/Finger Lakes region of NY (believe it or not), lots of culture and history; the Underground Railroad, women's suffrage, various wars, and the Finger Lakes have great vineyards. That also puts you about 2 hours from the Thousand Islands, also very beautiful and full of activities (if a bit touristy).

sandyponder

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I also agree on Asheville, NC area. So much to do and cooler in the mountains. You might also look at Boone/Blowing Rock, NC.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Ooooh Sandyponder - Thousand islands - would love to be visiting there myself!!

I always enjoy these trip threads.

tina

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Here's a link to all non-stop flights from JAX. Maybe somebody can suggest something off of there or maybe something will come out of it for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: JAX non-stop flights

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Looking at the list of nonstop flights.... Philadelphia jumped out at me. Besides the obvious historic places, my daughter and i had a fabulous time eating and shopping there. Just a GREAT city!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I see DC is on the list, and so is Boston. Boston is a lot of fun...walk the freedom trail, see the Old North Church, Bunker Hill, USS Constitution, wander around Harvard and see the museums and the Coop. There's a science museum, and one of the most beautiful art museums...the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum. See Quincy market, go to the top of the John Hancock building to see the view...the arboretum, the museum of fine arts. If you time it right, you can go to a free summer concert at the hatch shell.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 16:45

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

If you like history and museums, Boston has a lot to offer. I live 5 miles from the city and am happy to offer recommendations if you decide to go!

Chicago is a very fun city too! We were there last summer for a few days.

• sis3
    10 years ago

Hi Tina, I live in Florida but recently had a great time in Nashville and Franklin. It was a business trip that we extended to have a few days vacation. We liked what we heard of Lieper's Fork but didn't have time to visit on this trip. We are planning to return next year with family.

We visited the Carter House and the Carnton Plantation in Franklin. We found the history bloody but fascinating, and touchingly human.

• mjlb
    10 years ago

Boston has tons to offer... but if it's for this weekend, we're supposed to get rain - clearing on Sunday. We're still pretty cool here.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

.walk the freedom trail, see the Old North Church, Bunker Hill, USS Constitution
    Yes, but take one of the many trolleys instead. :-) you'll see a lot more and still walk plenty.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I agree on either Boston, Philly, NYC, or Nashville. All of them have lots to offer.