Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

what do you think about the IRS conference spending

3katz4me
10 years ago

225 conferences from 2010 to 2012 to the tune of $49 million dollars. I'm just dumbfounded. I guess this is what happens when someone is spending OPM - other people's money. It makes me wonder how many other pockets of extravagant, uncalled for spending are buried within the federal government. It's discouraging to have your hard earned money confiscated by the government in taxes and then have people blow it in this irresponsible manner.

Comments (17)

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

While it isn't justifiable, from my observation if you delve into ANY large corporation and their spending, you will usually find ridiculous/exorbitant/wasteful things to highlight. Where to begin...all those conferences people attend every year, does that money REALLY need to be spent? The corporate travel, do people REALLY need to be hustling all over the country/continent/world?

And there are the smaller expenses. In my own office, the boss decided to allocate space in a corner as storage. Then he decided there should be a 'nice' door. And so it was...$5000 later we have a lovely frosted glass doorway. Necessary? Of course not.

So while I don't condone it, I also think it is an easy and cheap shot and probably much enhanced by obtaining ludicrous video to accompany the outraged newcaster's script.

Ann
    sign me cynical

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

I find political organizations masquerading as non profits for "social welfare" a more troubling waste of money than a group of IRS workers spending tax dollars on silly bonding activities.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Gibby, that's probably just the tip of the iceberg. I agree that is an obscene and unnecessary waste of tax dollars. One does expect more social conscience and common sense than that.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 12:49

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I agree deedee. The IRS should never have changed the rules from an requiring and organization to be solely involved in social welfare programs to being primarily involved in social welfare programs in order to obtain tax exempt status. Who draws the line and where? It is much too murky.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Running, I agree, many organizations, even still, have crazy travel budgets. And I agree with dee.

Would it have been easier for the IRS to have a retreat somewhere off-site but close-by--sure! We do it all the time, but OTOH most times it is just *easier* to meet on campus vs. go somewhere off campus even if it is local. Travelling all the way to California is crazy, but sometimes there is $X in the travel/training/education budget, and it must be spent. I know this is the case with some folks I know in the military.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I certainly do not begrudge the IRS from having employee conferences - but $49,000,000? I don't think so!

Also, I couldn't agree with deedee more. IRS exemptions for political organizations masking there work as "social welfare" is disgusting.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Do you think social welfare benefits on the whole more, by those companies receiving tax breaks? Maybe it's needed incentive, to engage more nonprofit work, that's beneficial in the long run. Probably is pretty murky waters though. Why would the government offer this status to them? It's not like they don't want their taxes paid!

I don't think they're exactly alone in finding ways to reduce their taxes, that just don't seem right or fair to the rest of us peons.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 15:17

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

The amount spent is ridiculous-but from a public employee perspective, I can see why management supported it. When you have employees working in a boiler-you HAVE to do something to lessen the stress or they're going to walk.

To most pragmatic people, it seems a huge waste-but I can say from experience that I have been sent to symposiums, retreats, etc that seemed a folly and that money could have been better spent somehwere else, but at the same time, I was at a very nice resort, experienced fantastic food (no-host bar after hours), networking and general relaxation while learning more than just the subject matter. When you've got a high stress job (and I'm sure the IRS is a HIGH STRESS place to work), sometimes it is necessary and if it's a small portion of their over all budget-well, ok.

However, as I said, the amount seems excessive and should be reviewed. But when they compare hiring consulting firms (would have to go out to competitive bid) to come up with retreats/conferences, versus allowing dedicated staff to arranging the events, it may be a cost savings.

And remember, their budget packages are approved by the legislature. The 'fun' money is a generally a line item presented with a budget package and it it's approved-well, it's approved by Congress.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

If someone's job is that bad, I don't think any fancy conference is going to make them want to stay. Sure would have absolutely nothing to do with any decision making in my plans! Half the year off might work though, lol.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

With all due respect to hardworking public employees, I think this is a total boondoggle at taxpayer expense. Maybe the IRS is a high stress place to work...so are nursing homes, daycare centers and public schools, among a zillion other jobs. Trying to raise a family on a minimum wage job is even more stressful. None of THOSE workers are sent on retreats or conferences. We all have to figure out how to de-stress for ourselves. I don't think expecting the taxpayers to fund it is right.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

olychick-- nurses and teachers go to lots of conferences, although probably significantly smaller budget conferences!

govt/corporate/etc spending is ridiculous in soooo many ways-- i'm pretty frugal and could cut so much waste out of lots of budgets... !!!

• User
    10 years ago

When I first heard about this I just thought, oops, now it's their turn and figured it was another political tit for tat but then I saw an article that outlined some of the specifics of the costs involved and after that I was pretty disgusted.

If someone chooses to work for the IRS and it's a boiler room, that is their choice, from what I've heard jobs there pay well, have great benefits and job security which is more than most jobs in the public sector offer. Just my opinion but people in the public sector are working much harder for way less and a retreat is unheard of. Heck, a large portion of the middle class would be happy to get a decent pay raise or bonus.

Personally, I'm tired of paying more and more in taxes only to see it used for cr*p like this. Think of what that money could have paid for instead...job creation maybe? better education? medical assistance for the uninsured or hey, how about a reduction in our taxes? So I guess my response is, yes it p*sses me off. And it made me even more aggravated when some head of the IRS said, well we don't do that anymore and we've changed our ways now; as if that makes it all better. WTH?

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are the kinds of things you don't do when you have a budget deficit. These are the first things you cut when your expenses exceed your revenue. You also don't spend whatever was "budgeted" when you're operating with a budget deficit and expenses exceed revenue. You cut discretionary spending wherever you can. At least that is what you do in a business because if you don't you eventually go out of business. Not so the government - just increase taxes on people who have no say in the matter and continue to pi$$ the money away on this kind of extravagance.

• awm03
    10 years ago

Tax Prof Blog has a good round-up of the IRS scandals. Read 'em and weep.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tax Prof Blog

• texanjana
    10 years ago

It's infuriating to me - staying in penthouse suites and living it up on the taxpayer's dime. No.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

busybee, I think the conferences teachers and nurses attend are paid out of their own pockets, not paid for by taxpayers, held at fancy hotels or resorts.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

As already stated, itâÂÂs past time to cut back and not continue spending like a twelve year old with a credit card. ItâÂÂs just common sense! Time will tell if they are also guilty of tax evasion themselves. What makes this even more madding is that every time I turn on the news I hear, Chris Mathews, Al Sharpton, Martin Bashir or someone trying to inject race into the IRS scandal⦠that itâÂÂs not about the IRS. Sheesh! As an Independent I try to watch a bit of all news channels to stay truly informed, it's getting harder.
    On top of it all the IRS should be held at a higher standard, just as any public servants should be. They chose this career.