Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_thrifty

BHG e-mail's

ms-thrifty
10 years ago

Anyone subscribe to the BHG e-mail's. I get decorating, gardening, and recipies. lately I find then frustrating. so many advertisements, etc. that I don't even look at all of them anymore. Most of the time I can only get to about number 3 and my computer just freezes up. anyone know why or how to fix it.

Comments (7)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Go to the bottom of the email and click on "unsubscribe" lol.

It's like being bombarded by an avalanche of marketing agendas when you get on the net anymore. Kind of like those pestering sales reps that hover over you when you go into a ground store. Some sites now want your email address just to look at what they are selling. That's something I will not do. I also exit sites that pop a Chat box in my face when I didn't even ask a question. Some of those things implement code when you click on them even to hit close.

I have a junk mail account set up for when I have to give out my email address.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 16:25

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Snookums, I refuse to join those sites that request an email to sign up in order to buy from them. And those type of sites tend to be growing. WHY?? What makes them so special? (since anyone can join) lol

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Better Homes and Gardens regularly posts pretty pictures on facebook. I quit clicking on the pix because their very large, convoluted advertising takes forever to load. Upon opening and in between every.single.picture. Sucks every bit of enjoyment from their images.

And the recipes they post are just thumbnails. If you want to see the actual recipe you have to give them your email.

No thanks, BHG. You're not worth all the bother.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Oakley, I think you have to give it up quite a bit when actually purchasing. No? I think Amazon requires it. Some places I have seen a bypass to purchase without an account, but I don't remember seeing it very often. But when it's just to look at their site? Like a gated community, lol. I don't think so.

Home Depot has another ploy for collecting email addresses at checkout, to mail a receipt if you want it. Those receipt contests/surveys they have collect them too, I think.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 16:13

• ms-thrifty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To clarify-what I get are on line magazines-they are free subscriptions, so all the pop up advertising makes them free, and I have gotten them for a long time. Used to have lots of pretty rooms, lots of good recipies, things like pretty front doors, entrys, etc. and one thing I always liked starting about Oct. 1 they do 100 days of holidays,, with everything from pumpkin decorating, party ideas, lots of indoor and outdoor decorating ideas, holiday meal plans, just loads of all kinds of stuff. Only recently have they been so difficult to view. I really miss going thru all the pretty photos, getting ideas, etc. but it is now taking waaaaay toooo long, and sometimes even impossible to view them.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

You can fill in any made up email address to those sites that require an email address to view. You don't get any junk mail then. (of course, this doesn't work for sites you WANT to get mail from, or subscribe to). For those, I opened a hotmail account, so I don't get junk in my real email account.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I had to join (then quit) some of those sites just to view the items. That's what bothers me.