Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_129235

Happy Boobs :)

Boopadaboo
9 years ago

I know we have talked about this before, but I just had to share anyway.

How can I be in my 40's and not know that there is UK and US sizing? How did I not know that you should bend over when doing the measuring?

Love this blog post, and I now have happy boobs, shoulders and posture as well being so much more comfortable overall! :)

How nice of Brittany to share pics of herself!

Here is a link that might be useful: Brittany Blog

Comments (48)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I took my GF to the hanes outlet where they have professional bra fittings and found I knew more than her. Great. I had to teach her that if you go up a band size, you go down a cup size to keep the cup size the same. I don't know how you get out of bra fitting school and not know that.

Was not a successful trip. I'm hoping I'll get a chance to get her to try bra shopping with me again some time so we can have a better experience.

I found Linda's calculator to work best. I was wearing 36D but found I am actually a 34 DDD. Far more comfortable. And when the band size is correct, no back fat...which really isn't back fat, but the band being too large and pushing your skin up with it.

I used to watch Double Divas...as crazy as they were, they did give good bra fitting advice, including that most women wear bands too large and cups too small. And they had all their patrons bend over to fully fill the cups when they were putting on their bras.

But there's nothing more uplifting than getting into a well fitting bra.
    ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Linda's bra fitting calculator

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

See I think that is misleading. that calculator - I have been doing it that way for awhile, but when you do it way wearing the wrong size bra it doesnt work. The bend over and measure thing totally works. At least for me.

I am now happily in a 36M goddess bra. When I did similar to the calculator you posted, I got at least two cup sizes smaller.

Who could ever imagine such a thing as a 36M! but that is US sizing. which I never knew existed either! It is soooo comfortable!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

It took me a long time to find a comfortable bra. My band size did not go up, but my cup size did. I attribute this to weight gain and after nursing two children.

I had so many bras that I was "fitted" for, and they still were not right. Finally I found help in Blloomingdales. I have since found a local old fashioned lingerie shop that has the same bras ( and cheaper) and they were able to help me with other bras. (Strapless and razor back)

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

I'm really anxious to try this. My Soma bras, for which I was measured and fitted, are just too snug. I mentioned it at the time but was told that is how they're supposed to fit. I'm headed to Nordstrom's next week and will def. check out what they have. Thanks for posting this info!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Interesting. Yes, I can see where if you are large, you may need to bend over to measure to get the right size. I think I'll try it and see how I do. Of course even that is just an estimate as individual bras even from the same manufacturer will differ depending on the cut.

My issue is I really want a supportive bra for working out in, but I hate the sports bras as they are too stretchy and too compressing to be comfortable. And for working out, I don't want wires. I came across the playtex trusupport bra which looks like just what I want...but they start at 36 and go up. It's hard to find the smaller bands with the larger cup sizes.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

That calculator Annie posted doesn't work for me at all! I even did it twice to be sure. I am small -- I mean, I barely need a bra! For years I wore a 34A and only within the last year went up to a 34B. And I've been questioning that size because I think the B's are a bit big. But according to this calculator I'm a 36D!! I mean, there is just no way I am a D cup. That is hilarious.

Maybe I should try the bend-over route. Which sounds weird. LOL.

• deegw
    9 years ago

I think size calculators are helpful to a point but they don't take into account differences between brands. If I take a half dozen 34Bs (different brands but all underwire, full cup, etc.) into a dressing room invariably they all fit differently.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And are you taking in to account the UK sizing and US sizing etc (for larger sizes). I never new it existed! I am a J in UK sizing and an M in US sizing. BIG difference! :)

who knew? Not me!

Of course overall some cuts will fit better/feel better but so far I have ordered a few (I don't think I would be able to find them locally) and they have all fit.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Ill-fitting bra examples....

Here is a link that might be useful: Ill fit

• annac54
    9 years ago

Annie, try looking at the Enell sports bras. They might work for you.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks, I'll have to give them a try. I see underarmour is also supposed to make a sports bra for the well endowed.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Fascinating. When I get changed tonight I'm going to try the Brittany method of measuring. Her before and after pix are really impressive.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Best thing I ever did was get a breast reduction! It is the procedure with the highest satisfaction rating.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

I will have to try this, but I am pretty sure I am a 32 A. I went bra shopping with my mom last week and she kept saying, you don't think you're a B? (HOPING.) NOPE. I was always small, but unlike you, Ellendi, nursing/pregnancy left me smaller than ever!

• Jamie
    9 years ago

That bend over measurement may work for full, round boobs. But if you have pendules, (n. an apparatus consisting of an object mounted so that it swings freely under the influence of gravity) you will never fill up the cup if you measure this way.

Shoes are similar - they get bigger in width and overall capacity when they get longer. If you need a long length but do not have "full" feet they flop off at the heel and the straps gape.

Perhaps the convention of measuring at the top instead of the band area came from an effort to address breast shape. Here is a chart that references something called "root", where and how your breast tissue attaches to your chest wall. The linked chart categories other aspects of fit besides just the band and biggest measurements. I'm not sure the bra suggestions it offers are any good, but the obvious variety of body types explains why bras are hard to fit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shapes and other considerations

This post was edited by jamies on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 11:15

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Ellendi and Anele~ Things could be worse !!
    I swear after nursing I have a cup size difference between the two :(

Has anyone heard of the Jockey Fit Kit ?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.jockey.com/brafitkit

• fourkids4us
    9 years ago

Like sue, I'm not well endowed. I have the hardest time finding bras that fit well. I did the measurements using Annie's link, and was shocked to see it said I'm a 34C (my measurements for band was 32" and for cup was 35"). Except for when I was nursing, I've always bought bras that were 34A or 34B, depending on the style/fit. Most 34Bs, I barely fill out the cup.

The other problem I have is that I only like padded bras, yet it is nearly impossible to find a padded bra that does not have underwire. I cannot stand the underwire, and do not need it. I find them very uncomfortable. Yet, it is rare to find a padded bra w/o underwire. I love this one bra I have, but can't remember where I got it and there is no label on it so I don't even know the brand.

• jlj48
    9 years ago

chispa - would LOVE a breast reduction but can't wrap my head around the idea of rearranging my nipples...

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Two things:
    1) geez, why is this so hard? Two different measuring systems PLUS the shape consideration that jamies linked. I just want my 50+ year old breasts to look like when they were 20. Is that too much to ask?

2) speaking of reduction reminded me, did you see the NYTimes piece about the Maryland tattoo artist that does nipple tattoos for breast cancer patients? Interesting story and the results, as shown on the video, were incredible. What a difference that must make for some women.

Wait, turns out there are 3 things.

3) the writer of the Inside Out Style blog had a reduction and had several posts about it. She looks great but even more impressive is how well she camouflaged her very large chest (prior to surgery) with appropriate clothing choices.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I think it's easy to tell when the cup size is too large as you simply won't fill it and the cup won't be smooth but will gape. So I'd suggest keep going up until it gapes and then go down one size.

I think it's easy to tell when the band size is too tight so keep going down a band size until it's too tight and then go up a size. But remember if you go up a band size, you need to go down a cup size to keep it the same.

The double divas say that you should buy your bra so that you are at the last hooks. That way as you wear it and wash it and it stretches out, you can still tighten up the band to get the proper fit.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Yes, it's easy in theory but a nightmare in a fitting room. Tossing aside size after size, style after style. And that's with the help of a "professional" fitter. If you're outside the norm, which seems to be most sizes, it's not easy to even find the right stuff to try.

• jlj48
    9 years ago

duplicate post

This post was edited by joanie38 on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 21:32

• chispa
    9 years ago

joanie38, you just have to think of the positive end result and not the process! The reduction made such a change in my life that I actually had two. The first when I was around 22 and I enjoyed the results for 12 years until I got pregnant. After having 2 kids I went back down to my pre-pregnancy weight, but my breasts stayed enlarged. Very glandular breasts that were affected by the hormones. I had another breast reduction at that time and have enjoyed the results for many years. I am thin and the "attention" I got from large breasts was not something I enjoyed at all. Shopping for clothes was also miserable.

Sorry to highjack the thread ... but I feel like I have to share my experience about something that can have such a large positive effect on a young (or older) woman's life.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I think I'd go for breast reduction...if it wasn't surgery. I've never had children and I understand that they keep growing until you complete a pregnancy. That's never gonna happen....

And I see these young gals getting implants! I mean the docs (mostly men) seem to encourage them to go even larger. Sometimes parents agree to it for graduation presents of all things! There have been folks on Judge Judy who have given other people loans to get enhancements. I mean you're going to go into debt for that? Buy a padded bra!

• allison0704
    9 years ago

I hate bras, even when they fit right (aka don't have me pulling at them). Having nursed three children for a total of five years, I need a breast lift, but I can't lift my mind around a nipple rearranging. Chispa, how long was your recovery time?

My older sister recently had a face lift and implants at the same time. I didn't think she needed bigger girls, but she's happy, so whatever. They aren't massive, but in my opinion (and a few others) they are too large for her body frame. I've never wanted bigger, so wouldn't do that with a lift. Not to hijack the thread, but if there are any lift-ies out there, please tell me your experience. I already know which doctor I would use - he's world-renowed and local.

• jlj48
    9 years ago

Yes Chispa, can you discuss your recovery? And, not to be too graphic... but did you lose any uhmmm nipple sensation? Just trying to consider ALL aspects involved. Feel free to NOT respond if you would rather not.
    Also, having never been under anesthesia, it makes me a little nervous too. Yes my child rearing years are over, so it's now or never for me. My mother had huge boobs. By the time she considered surgery, she was almost 70 and had other health problems that would have complicated surgery. I find myself hoping and praying that my daughter doesn't get huge ones, just so she can avoid the unwanted attention.

• chispa
    9 years ago

joanie and Allison, happy to share details! We have also covered this topic here before, so a search might also give you some more information. At one time there were several here who'd had reductions.

Recovery is like any other major surgery. You feel like crap for the first 2 weeks. It helps to sleep in an elevated position for a few weeks. Sensation goes away, but then gradually returns as things heal. You can walk and get around, but need to watch arm movements and lifting for about 4 weeks. I hate the effects of prescription pain killers, so I only took them for 2 days and was ok with Tylenol after that.

My recovery from BR was much easier than DH's recovery from Achilles surgery! I felt it was worth going through a major surgery again, so I could feel comfortable and enjoy life.

There used to be a very good website/forum that covered breast surgeries. You needed to apply/register as they share private details and photos. The only problem with the forum was that you do end up with many who had issues post-surgery being the main posters. A bit scary to read when many of the post were about problems, but it isn't representative of the final outcome for most that go through a BR.

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

I went through this whole bra size thing last year. I'd worn a 36C for years, but the straps always slipped. I went to 34D, and the slippage has all but stopped. After pregnancy and nursing I've lost my shape, but apparently still have enough breast tissue to fill it out. I've recently lost some weight, and tried on a pretty 32DD bra today that fit perfectly. The problem I'm finding is that it's hard to find a smaller band size bra with anything larger than a C cup.

Also, I've never understood those bra sizing charts that have you add 5 inches to you measurement to arrive at your band size - that's how I ended up in those ill-fitting bras. I found this site very helpful.

And Annie, I was recently in Victoria' Secret and saw these sport bras that might work for you.

• jmck_nc
    9 years ago

I also had a reduction and wish I had not waited so long...I was 45 at the time. The recovery for me was not too bad. No real pain...never took anything more than tylenol. I was more tired for a couple of weeks...anesthesia and healing do take a toll. As for sensation, I do have some spots that are still numb 8 years later, but it is not a problem for me. I think the procedures are less invasive now too. There is a website called Realself where you can look up different procedures and women tell their stories and often post pictures. That said, I still have a hard time shopping for bras, just not impossible!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks terriks, I'll check it out.

I sure hope with this new focus on women and bras that mnfctrs start to realize that just because your an A cup doesn't mean you have a small band, and just because you're DDD doesn't mean you have a big one.

On double divas, they would custom make bras...they even made one for the guiness record holder for largest breasts. She did look better with the new bra, but there's no minimizing those girls....

• jlj48
    9 years ago

It still seems so scary. I guess right now I'm trying to lose some weight to see if I can lose some in my boobs. Then I will know. I wonder about breast liposuction though. It HAS to be done and I would think be less invasive, if you're the right candidate for it. So glad to hear from those who have had the surgery. For me, it's a struggle. I don't want to be shallow, or not appreciative of what the good Lord gave me. I believe that women should be real AND be accepting of what they have. But there comes a time when it's actually in one's best interest health wise to have it done. For me, trying to work-out is HARDER and heart disease in my family is rampant, I kind of feel like a ticking time bomb. So I will lose some weight, 20 pounds would be awesome, then we will see.
    Did any of you that had the surgery lose weight before or after? How did that affect you?

• chispa
    9 years ago

Joanie, no I don't think you should have to accept what you were born with. I have always been thin and having large breasts as a teen and young adult was miserable. Large breasts are way overrated ... difficulty exercising, back problems, dents on your shoulders from the excess breast weight, etc. Why live that way, if you don't have to?

I would suggest that you try to lose some weight first. A good Plastic surgeon would also make that recommendation first, before going ahead with surgery. Change in your breasts after weight loss will vary on whether your breasts are more glandular or fatty. My breasts (very glandular) did not shrink after I lost my pregnancy weight, which is why I had to go through a second procedure.

• jmck_nc
    9 years ago

I was scared too, and felt guilty about doing something that seemed "vain" or shallow. I debated it for several years before seriously looking into it. I was a small B cup before kids and full DD after...very uncomfortable...also one side was a full cup size smaller making bra purchases almost impossible. So, after much research and soul searching I decided to go for it. I was at a reasonable weight, if not ideal before the surgery, lost a little after, and then a few years later gained about 30 pounds which I have since lost. I think it is best to be close to a weight you can maintain before you do any surgery. No ill effects from the up and down but I do have some extra fat in the side area under my arms that I'd love to have liposuctioned...considering that soon since it really affects how my bras fit and I do not want to lose more weight (can't spot reduce anyway). FYI, my health insurance covered the cost of the procedure since it was deemed necessary based on a formula of weight ratio to breast size. Hope that helps!

• jlj48
    9 years ago

Thank you so much to those that shared their experiences.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Now I just have to find the time to do it. Since I keep my grandson 4 days a week that won't be easy, but will be easier once school starts.

• sarahmakes6
    9 years ago

Long-time lurker here. :)
    Just chiming in to add to the breast reduction fan club. It was the BEST thing I ever did. Changed my life. I have both gained and lost weight in the 12 years since I had mine done. My size has gone up and down a little with my weight, but stayed in proportion. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• sarahmakes6
    9 years ago

And I'm totally going to try that measuring method, Boop.

• amielynn
    9 years ago

I developed early (4th grade!) and was a DD by Junior High, I literally refused to run because it was so embarrassing to hear all the things the other kids said! I've always worn good bras, my grandma actually fit bras for a living in high end department stores.

Sports bras have come a long way from the horrible things that turned you in to Captain Uniboob, I've tried on many brands looking for control over the girls for both high impact and yoga and so far my hands down favorite is Moving Comfort. They have all different types, both with and without underwires.

I envy the ladies who can wear a top with the built in shelf bra, never going to be in my future :sigh:

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I hate those tops with built-in shelf bras! Total uni-boob. Same thing with the sports bras that give the uni-boob look. Annie, try Panache. I'm a 30DD and they work fairly well for me.

• msrose
    9 years ago

I know this is an old post, but I just got around to taking my measurements. I was wondering if any of you tried on a bra based on Brittany's method. I'm very small and have always worn an A cup and sometimes it's too big. Several years ago, I decided to try a bra from the girls department at Target and it fit perfectly. I think I used to wear a 32 or 34 in the women's bras, but the one from the girls department is a 36. Now that I measured using Brittany's method, it says I should wear a 28 D. That doesn't even seem possible. I'm not sure I could even find that size.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did and it worked perfectly for three brands. for the goddess brand I needed the band size one smaller, but I think that is common for that brand.

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

That's the problem with sizing of most bra companies. They make very few models with smaller bands. I used to think I was a 36 C, but found out that ideally I should be wearing a 32, but those are hard to find in anything bigger than an A cup. So I usually wear a 34D now, and believe me, my "girls" are not that big. But it fits pretty well, and my straps no longer slip off my shoulders.

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Too funny that this is not in conversations anymore!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Good thing we didn't post pictures, huh? LOL

• Boopadaboo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

:) Oh and btw - Amazon has bras in all kinds of sizes. You have to be sure that you look at which kind of sizing and you didnt say ( I see for D it doesnt matter :) ) 28 D

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I know this is an old thread but felt compelled to post.

For the larger busted try LeMystere Dream Tisha. They have a vast array of band and cup sizes. It is the only time I've ever purchased a bra that fit me like the model pictured. I have truly found my forever brand of bra.

• msrose
    9 years ago

Yikes! I reposted my question in the conversation forum when I didn't see this pop up. I didn't realize it would pop up over here.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022