Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

House update

Oakley
9 years ago

Remember how I said my son and his family (and two dogs) would be living with us until their house is built next door to us? After much delay due to the government shutdown, then having 3 appraisals because they'd mess up, it's finally getting there!

All the trees are to the right of the house.

Comments (9)

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Yay! How exciting for all of you Oakleyok!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Wonderful! Progress being made is so exciting. Happy for you all!

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

You are very generous. I love my kids but I don't know.........

Looks like it's going to be a wonderful home.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Red, for the most part it's been pretty good. DS has been a great help with yard work and he cooks great meals on weekends. And he surprises me with a milkshake every now and then when he comes home from work. :)

The grandkids are fun having around.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Oakley - you are a good momma! Congrats on the kids' new home......nothing like keeping them in the "compound".

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's definitely nice having them close by. When they were kids I encouraged them to move away and do their thing. I am SO glad they didn't listen!

I have to keep my mouth shut on decor decisions, which has been tough. lol. However, I did tell them about 2 structural details I think they'd be better off with, and they actually listened and changed the house plans. :)

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Looks like a wonderful home!

My oldest niece, her DH and their two boys will hopefully move in their new build next month. They sold their home within a week of it being on the market and have been living with his parents since early May. Luckily, they had 5 kids, so they have a decent-sized house. They had mentioned staying some of the time in with my sister and BIL in their tiny cape cod. Yikes.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Oakley - how wonderful for you and how exciting for your son. When do they expect it to be finished?

Right now all 3 adult kids live about 10 miles away and I keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way. When I married we moved 350 miles from home and that made family celebrations difficult to attend. My kids missed out on having a Grandmother near.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

What great news! I envy you having them so close, although I imagine it can get tough at times having so many in one house while theirs is being built. I'd love to have both of my kids live close by. My oldest is talking about going back for a second masters in a related field. Wish he'd get it at UNM. DD is now looking at grad schools for clinical psychology, but Denver is her first choice, though. (Sigh) Maybe someday I might get at least one back in this area. Lucky you, Oakley . . . I'm really happy for you!
    Lynn