Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheila53

Newest Mother of the Bride Thread Update

thankurnmo
9 years ago

True to form, after I posted my final mother of the bride selection for the August wedding, and took the dress to a wonderful seamstress................. I called and asked her to hold off. I was having serious second thoughts. (This is not surprising to those who know me, although typically I only anguish but do not actually act).
I had 6 dresses at home (as everything except one of them had to be ordered and shipped to the home. even the ones that are possibly in the stores, are not representing every size. So actually I had maybe 3 different dresses but 2 were ordered in 2 sizes. Dizzy enough?--
I will link the whole selection saga thread, but in actuality- I selected the Patra tiered dress which I loved but thought it was a tad too low cut on my well endowed body. I had the lightbulb brilliant idea to see if a seamstress could maybe add an inch or less of lace to the v neckline. The woman I went to, showed me that by just raising the shoulder line a smidgeon and fine tuning the arm hole( there was a glimpse of bra there too) - it would be perfect.
So I picked it up this week and I am ready. (just needing shoes). I really love it because it does seem to be the most "garden party" looking and is slightly different looking. I love that it is VERY comfy and flattering, and that the little bit of embellishment is very understated but most definitely there. I loved the initial selection one, and it too would have been more than fine, but something about it was less special even though it was truly special.
Just had to update.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Dress

Comments (7)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I like it, and it looks so comfy. I hope you have a wonderful time!

• hhireno
    9 years ago

It's lovely and looks comfortable, not an easy thing to combine. I love the color, the bodice detail, the little bit of beading, the whole dress. What type of shoes will you wear?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Yes, it is lovely and sounds as if it will be just perfect! And, how wonderful to be all set (except shoes which will be easy) this early. Now, you can just relax and enjoy the final preparations/countdown!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Very pretty dress! It has great flowing lines, you will look beautiful dancing in it!

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

I think is lovely!! I especially love the color.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

what a wonderful choice !! it's lovely!! A good seamstress works miracles, I'm glad yours did a good job, it's fine tuning and it does make a difference.

• thankurnmo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's funny, I grew up with a mom who always had her clothing altered but somehow I have never thought of it. Quite a few of the dresses were close but no cigar........ and this one I kept coming back to (and other than the no jacket ).. as I said the neckline was really ok but I am well endowed and just didn't want any cleavage to show. When I took it to the dressmaker, she at first just suggested raising the shoulders. Then we looked a bit more and she ended up doing a lot more (as I said, the armhole tweaking and the bra snaps so the cap sleeves can be more extended over the shoulders).... but I know it will look like perfection. The dress was quite reasonable, so even adding on quite a bit for the alterations it is still palatable.
    for shoes, I am at this point going to try for a strappy sort of wedge (for comfort, and for the lawn)... in either silver, navy, or some other metallic....... it will have a lot to do with comfort.
    I don't really expect to wear a purse much, but I am leaning towards using a really pretty beaded evening purse from my mom which is white with some pastel flowers. I know it's not a perfect match, but I think it will feel nice for me to have her purse at the wedding. ( She' passed in 2004).

At least that is what I think for now.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner