Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

What do I need in a laptop?

msrose
10 years ago

I'm finally thinking about giving up my desktop and going to a laptop, but I don't have a clue what I need. I mainly use it for internet purposes like GW, email, and to create spreadsheets, word documents. I have alot of pictures and documents saved. I'm thinking HP just because that's what I've always had. My son has heard bad things about Windows 8 and thinks I should go with Windows 7. I'm confused by the memory and hard drive size. Looks like I can get something in the $200-$400 range that has 4 GB memory and 320 - 550 GB hard drive. That sounds so cheap and I'm willing to spend up to $700, but I don't want to spend more if it's not really necessary. I found one for $649 that has 8GM memory and 750 GM hard drive. I'm hoping someone more computer savy than I can tell me what I need. Any other details I need to look at like the processor? Any good or bad ones?

Comments (39)

• User
    10 years ago

2 things I really like on my laptop that my daughters does not have is a port for SD card makes for easy downloads from camera. And an HDMI port so I can hook it up to the TV for streaming or when I am looking for something with hubby then we both can see.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I wouldn't have thought of either one of those. My desktops have always had the port for the SD card, so I never thought about a laptop not having one. I also never thought about the TV hookup, but that's a great idea. I don't do it often, but there have been a few times I tried to exercise to an online video and it would be so much easier if I could watch it on my TV.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I've had a Dell Inspiron for about 2 years and it has been great. My previous Dell not so much. The opposite is true for DH and HP. His previous one was great, but this one, more of moderate one from BestBuy not so much. Funny, both these laptops lasted 5 years. We bought them around the same time and they croaked around the same time.

Neither of us has a desktop anymore.

This one has 6GB RAM which is good. I have about 500GB hard drive space. Get as much RAM and hard drive space that you can afford. Make sure you have USB drives and HDMI port. A CD/DVD drive is helpful.

This laptop cost about $700 but I was able to get it through our campus discount program.

Apple is great, but you are going to pay a lot. Even with the campus discount, it was going to cost me about $1400. Could not justify that much differential in cost.

• bestyears
    10 years ago

I made the same transition with my usual over-analytical-approach a few years ago. Wish I hadn't waited so long. Ended up going with a MacBook -had always had a Windows machine. I'm probably a lifetime Apple user now. One thing that made it easy. I bought it at Best Buy and they told me I could bring it back within three days if I didn't like it...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I had always used Windows-based products because my employers did.

When I retired, I bought a Macbook. LOVE LOVE LOVE Mac, would never ever go back.

There will be a little bit of a learning curve, and some possible issues with old files, but not enough to keep me from Mac. In my opinion the only reason people don't use Macs is compatability with all the legacy stuff of their employers.

My MACbook has the larger screen, but I wish I had gotten the standard size as it is far more portable.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    10 years ago

We have had many laptops at all different price points and brands. It seems that they all only last roughly 4 years We use them for email, Internet surfing, etc. None used for work at 40 hours a week. The last one we bought for me was a cheap $300 one from Best Buys. It does not have a Disk drive but I haven't missed it.

My daughter has a MacBook and it has not been problem free. I get irked that they change the OS every year requiring one to upgrade at roughly $50. She has been through 3 batteries (2 at our expense) in 4 years. I am not sure for a $1400 computer it was the best investment (other than it was required for her college major)

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Mac is the way to go if you are willing to shell out the money for one.

For your needs you really can go with a base model but it'll still run you over $1000. The portability of the MacBook Air would have me sold. Be careful if you go to an Apple store because you will fall in love.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Some other things to consider is how big do you want the display to be and how heavy are you willing to tolerate; i.e. how much are you going to be carrying it around. Also how long is the battery life?

I've always had PCs but DH got a Mac a few years ago. It's the only computer we ever had a problem with. Hard drive failed within a couple years. Love my iPhone but that experience didn't make me want to fork out any more big bucks for a Mac.

I've been looking for a new laptop too - leaning toward an HP ultra book of some sort.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

> I get irked that they change the OS every year requiring one to upgrade at roughly $50

You don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. It isn't mandatory.

EDIT Just as lots of windows folks are still running XP, most mac owners haven't upgraded from 10.6, unless they buy a new computer that comes with a later version.

This post was edited by writersblock on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 13:27

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    10 years ago

Unfortunately the new OS is needed for many of the larger programs to run. If your OS isn't current many new software packages won;t work.

Not updating is not an option, at some point the current OS will be needed. I have seen this with my daughter and a MD friend just had to update for an EMR to run on his MacBook Pro.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

I can't think of anything larger that isn't compatible with 10.6. Word, Photoshop, AutoCAD all do. What are you looking at that won't run in 10.6.8?

EDIT Well, actually I think that if you want the CC version of Adobe Creative Suite you may need 10.7, but if you do, you're in a very small minority of people who like that idea.

There's no program I can think of that doesn't have a perfectly adequate version for 10.6, and probably 75% of all mac owners are still running that, so for developers to drop support for 10.6 is a real cut-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face move.

This post was edited by writersblock on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 15:25

• Faron79
    10 years ago

LOVE my Dell Inspiron 5720!

8Gigs of RAM, 1 Terrabyte HD, 64-bit Windows 7 OS.
    REALLY like the card-reader port!
    Last year I think it was ~~ $900...?!

For videos & such, I like the separate Video memory, & the Maxx-audio speakers. Do I NEED this?!??! Uh.....no....
    Do I LIKE it?!??!

Oh H#ll yes!!
    (one has to ROCK-OUT now & then ya know...;-))

Faron

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I'm a graphic designer and have all the "big" design software like Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. I also have Microsoft Office suite. I'm still running off of 10.5.8. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Mac OS - that's about 4yrs old! My design software is only one version behind and I see no need to get the latest version anyway.

Since this is my business, keeping up with the newest and shiniest would adversely affect my bottom line so I tend to stick with the same old stuff until I just can't any longer.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been looking online and went to TigerDirect today, so I have a few more questions:

Is a media port the same thing as a port for the SD card?

The ones I've looked at don't mention the HDMI port. Would it be called something else or is it not a common port? Maybe the less expensive ones I'm looking at don't have it?

The guy showed me Windows 8 and I'm not crazy about it. I'm thinking about ordering one, so I can get Windows 7. TigerDirect has them on their website, but the guy said they don't have any in the store.

I wouldn't mind having a 17", but there doesn't seem to be as many of them, so I'll probably go with the 15"-16". I'll just be using it at home, so weight or size isn't as issue.

Faron - You brought up another point. My current HP desktop has the worst sound of any I've ever had. The sounds was so low, my son hooked up some external speakers so I could hear better. Yes, I do want to rock out occassionally :) So, how do I know if I'm getting one with good sound or not?

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I *think* the media port is for cameras and video. Maybe someone else can clarify.

It seems like on the newer computers HDMI port is standard, but do ask.

DH's HP has horrible sound. The speakers are on the bottom of the laptop. My Dell is much better.

15-16" screen size is good because they are all widescreen now. DH had 17" in his last HP computer and it was extremely heavy and not really all that portable between rooms.

Does your employer offer any discounts through any vendors? I am F/S vs. student but I can still take advantage of the Dell discounts.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I work for a hospital, so I'm not sure about an employer discount. I'll definitely check it out though.

• User
    10 years ago

I have a 17" screen but when I replace it I will be going smaller for easier travel. I use a wireless mouse and didn't think about taking out the (radio thingy) that transmits on my first trip and broke the port (I know really dumb) sure miss the second usb port.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

TOO funny msrose!!

My laptop has 4 speakers underneath, w/ the Maxx-audio logo. You'll have to ask about sound-performance when you're shopping. Decent units aren't the cheapest however!!

In a higher price-range, you'll of course get more inputs, etc. Mine has 17" screen, 4 USB's, 1 HDMI, Camera-card reader, external monitor jack, & a phone-jack as well.

WEIGHT however....Uffda...it's not a feather!!

If you'd like, check the 9/2012 PC-mag link review of mine...
    It's a fair review overall. I noted they say "Robust audio output"...;-)

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: My Dell Inspiron 5720...

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Weight, adequate ports, dvd player, number pad, screen size, lots of RAM, lots of memory. That's my list.

2 weeks ago I bought DH a new laptop for his b'day. It had Windows 8 which I knew would be a big change from his XP but since I have a Windows phone and LOVE it, I was certain I could help him over the hurdles. I returned it within 4 days and bought a Dell with Windows 7.

If you decide you want a laptop with a Windows system i suggest you find a place where you can really try out 8 to see if you like it. THere are a ton of issues and they are coming out with major fixes but not for another 6 months or so and in a year there is SUPPOSED to be a newer version that will have the pluses of 8 but look more like 7. Stockk on 7 is going fast as people are buying it while they can so if you want it, hurry.

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

We've always had Dells. desktops, and laptops. If you get a new Dell laptop, get the touch screen. I love it.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

faron - It says short battery life. How long does it last for you?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Ditto what mtnrdredux said. I had to have windows products when I was working. Once I retired, I went with a macbook... It Is Wonderful!

I worked for a very large multinational corporation. I had a conversation with their CIO and was not surprised to learn that, even though the entire co. was windows based, he used macs at home. I was raving about mine and he said, "I know, I know."

No blue screens, no anti virus, no slow performance and bogging. It literally takes less than half the time to start the mac from off than it does to wake the windows machine up from sleep. It is amazing.

I convinced my GF to go mac too and she is delighted.

Yes they are more expensive, but in time saved alone, they are well worth it.

• User
    10 years ago

You can buy refurbished Apple laptops online at the Apple store for a bit of a savings, I think usually around 18%-25%, and they have the same warranty.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Msrose-

Yeah, it is "hungry"!!
    Batt-life isn't a big issue for us. I mainly use it plugged-in beside the easy-chair! Even in bed, I use it plugged-in a lot. The screen is a little brighter then too!
    A couple hours MAX is about all I've taken it to on battery. Watching videos shortens even this though!!!

All my "Hairband" nonsense needs POWER!!
    ;-)

Faron

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I checked my work website and I can get a discount on Dell, Apple, and HP. I think I've ruled Mac out because of the price. I found an Hp that sounds good and with my discount, it would be $526. The Operating System is Windows 7 Home Preminum 64 bit. I don't understand the difference in it and Professional and Ultimate. Would preminum give me everything I need?

Here is a link that might be useful: HP Pavillion dv6t 7000 CTO

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

My laptop has Windows 7 Home Premium and it is totally fine for the work I do (email, internet, Microsoft Office).

Glad you checked on the discounts!

This is the same laptop DH has. It has been fine for him other than the not-so-great audio quality. I don't like his touchpad either. But it's definitely going to do all you want it to do.

This post was edited by gsciencechick on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 15:54

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gsciencechick - Really? I read a review somewhere that mentioned the good sound, so I figured it was better than what your hubby had. The desktop I have now has such a low volume that I have to lean in to hear it and then it's still not loud enough sometimes. Does your husband have the volume issue or is it more the quality of the sound. I definitely don't want one with the volume issue again.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, it's both poor volume and quality.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, drats :(

• bestyears
    10 years ago

For those with poor sound quality.... I got my daughter this little speaker at Christmas. It works with any device that supports bluetooth, and ohmygoodness, it is AMAZING! Like having a stereo in the room. Since it is bluetooth, it can just sit in the room -it does not physically connect to the laptop at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: JAM Speaker

• User
    10 years ago

Ms. Rose, do you have a Micro Center in your area? They have a web site but when you go into their stores, unlike a lot of the Best Buy folks, the people who work there are VERY educated in what they sell and the prices are great. My uses are very similar to yours. I've owned a lot of laptops and have paid a lot of money for extra's I never used. My favorite so far has been smaller sized, inexpensive HP's and Compaqs (400.00 or less) with a key pad on the board. They have all the features needed like micro card slots, usb ports, ample ram and hard drive space but are lighter and easier to move around with. After having an 18 inch mammoth HP and hating it, I'll never go larger than 15 inch again. It hasn't happened yet, but I am glad that if after a couple of years something does go wrong with the unit, it won't cost an arm and a leg to replace. Micro Center also has a great warranty program if that's something you are interested in.

One thing that people don't usually think about but is really important is to know where the vent fans are for your system. HP used to build them on the bottom causing the units to get very hot. They've now redesigned them to vent on the side, but I'm not sure if all manufactures have done that yet. Also, I know a lot of people are happy with them, but my husband is an IT computer guy and a Dell employee; he's very familiar with their products and feels they are not what they used to be and are over priced for what you get.

Here is a link that might be useful: Micro Center

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Do not discount the effect of weight -- even if you decide one night to move it from the kitchen or den into the living room, you want something that's not a pain (a real pain!). My sister just got a new Dell laptop (don't recall the model), and not only is it heavy, it seems lopsided-heavy. It's not pleasant having that thing on your thighs. (My point of comparison is a MacBook.)

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bestyears - That's cool! I'll keep that in mind if I end up with one that has sound issues.

lukkiirish - We don't have a Micro Center, but it looks like I can order online, so I'll have to look through their website and see if they have anything different. So, does your husband think Dell is the best? The guy at TigerDirect likes Sony, Acer, and Asus.

• joanie_b
    10 years ago

mrose - I have a version of that laptop - HP Envy dv6-7218nr - also with Beats Audio and I love it.
    The volume and sound quality are both excellent, imo, with just the laptop speakers.
    It sounds even better when it's not on your lap or when you use headphones or earbuds.
    It runs Windows 8 and I love that too, not much of a learning curve from 7, imo.
    Btw, I bought my laptop on Amazon from Amazon, not a 3rd party seller and not refurbished - for $469.
    Amazon's prices were better on a lot of the same or comparable laptops on HP's site.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I expect my computers to last a long time. When I considered streamlining to a laptop, the deciding factor was that they don't last that long. I forget the lifespan quoted but 3-4 years sounds about right. There was also an issue that the hinges break early on from opening and closing so much.

I will probably consider Apple next time around -- but am not sure why I need one (other than legacy software), why people say they're so much better. But I might give it a whirl if I can afford it. I don't want another Dell. The company is a shark and it wastes an enormous amount of your time in sales and service. HP quality doesn't seem that great from what I've heard, ymmd. Relatives have had lots of trouble and early replacements, so I will not chance it. The Compaq I had was solid. It lasted ten years, with unfailing standard tech support the whole time (without charge even). Unfortunately, HP bought it so I doubt it's the same.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 14:49

• sovra
    10 years ago

If you do a lot of writing and intend to use the laptop's built-in-keyboard, pay attention to the amount of keyboard flex when you press down on the keys. Keyboard flex in one of my first laptops gave me carpal tunnel problems, so it's something I pay attention to now.

If you want a site with solidly written reviews, Notebookreview.com is the place that gave me the most thorough information the last two times I bought laptop computers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Notebook Review site

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Do you have a Sam's or Costco membership? I got a Dell Inspiron 15, 8gb memory, i5 processor, 1TB hard drive at Sam's last July/August in their "back to school" sale - it was $100 off reg price which is good for Sam's already low price, lowering it to around $500 (I'll have to look at my invoice).

I bought my two married children one for Christmas from Costco during their Black Friday sales that lasted at least a week - about the same deal, but with Windows 8 and i7 processor - I actually think they got a little more computer for the money.

One GREAT thing about computer from these two stores - YOU CAN RETURN WITHIN 90 DAYS - NO QUESTIONS ASKED - WITHOUT HAVING TO GO THROUGH A MANUFACTURER HASSLE FOR A RETURN.
    That is worth a lot to me! I can't stand being on the phone with an electronics manufacturer for an hour, with someone who doesn't speak English, trying to get service/authorization to return.

We have only had Dell's for the past ten years and have had no problems other than a virus (my fault).

Here is a link that might be useful: Good price on Dell at Costco now

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I TOTALLY agree with tuesday_2008 about a Costco purchase. The only reason I didn't buy from them for my DH is they no longer have any Windows 7 stock. But my laptop and my son's are from Costco - cannot beat their return policy and their tech support is first rate.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you think the processor is that important or does it apply more to gamers? I can get one with Intel Core i3 or AMD for the same price. The AMD has 8GM memory and 750GB hard drive and the Intel Core i3 has 4GB memory and 500 GB hard drive.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida