Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

6 Weeks of Fitness, Week 1 (Cycle II)

anele_gw
9 years ago

Hi, everyone!

I changed the name of the challenge to 6 Weeks of Fitness instead of to to keep in the spirit of continuation.

If you are new, the purpose of this challenge is to find ways, within the next 6 weeks, to add to your fitness level (whatever it may currently be!) in the areas of strength, flexibility, and endurance.

In our first cycle, many of us found it helpful to:
(1) Set goals
(2) Identify possible obstacles for reaching the goals
(3) Identify solutions for the obstacles, as well as personal strengths and assets

I, personally, found it very important to set the bar low for my goals. When we started this challenge, I never exercised. Ever. The times I'd done it before were sporadic and infrequent. I knew that if I aimed too high, I'd fail and give up.

Aim low enough so that you will succeed. If that means just 2 minutes a day of exercise, set your goal for 2 minutes, because 2 minutes is more than 0. (Link below for ways to fit 2 minutes into your daily routine.)

I encourage everyone to focus on fitness (vs. eating, weight, etc.) as the primary portion of this challenge.

Remember-- join in ANY time, even if you happen to be reading this when we are in a later week. Some people find they can do the challenge without posting, but some (like me!) find the accountability and wonderful support from the online community here to be the difference in success. You choose what works for you!

As Annie said, the 6 weeks will pass, regardless of what we do. How will you spend them? Let's go!

Here is a link that might be useful: Workouts in Daily Life

Comments (12)

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

(1) Goals. I will stick with my 30 minutes/5 days a week, but will add one weekend day as well. I (shockingly) am finding that 2 days without exercise is too long.

(2) Obstacles. In the first cycle, if I did ANY exercise, I was happy and felt the effects. Now I see that I need to challenge myself more within the exercises, and it gets tough to continually do something new. My ankle/wrist weights help to make me work more. I can see how something like running is nice because it's more straightforward in terms of how to make things harder.

(3) Possible solutions. Find some fitness blogs or articles to learn more about exercise in general, as well as some short challenges (like the plank one) I can incorporate into what I do. I am also looking into finding if there is a bike path for my family nearby . . .the only one I know of involves stopping for traffic (!) fairly frequently, or to be subjected to getting hit by disc golf discs (FRISBEE). It will also be a challenge to get my DH to agree for us to spend $ on bikes for us . . .I never should have gotten rid of mine. (Needed work, but still!)

• legomom23
    9 years ago

I'm in for this this one.
    I like the idea of low goals that I will meet. My only exercise right now is walking the dog about a mile a day. Not good.

Goal 1 - Walk a total of 15 miles per week.

Goal 2 - Jump on my trampoline for at least one good song, plank as long as I can, and stretch when I'm done. I will do this 5 times a week. I'm going to be traveling a few of these weeks and won't have my trampoline, but the important part of this is the stretching and stomach work and I can do that in my hotel room.

Obstacle - I have awful follow through - I am a starter.

Solution - I don't know how to solve this problem other than keep starting! I think these goals are very doable. Maybe I'll tell my son to hold me accountable. It will just feel like nagging if my husband is the one reminding me:)

Thanks for the push! I need the help.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Legomom, I am glad you are here!

Walking a mile is nothing to sniff at. I think it's great! Have you thought of using ankle weights to step it up a little? Maybe a little job every 5 minutes or so?

I saw this and posted on another thread-- I like it a lot. Applies to me in areas other than exercise, too.

For me, once I put it in writing, in public here, I just had to keep going. I HAVE to do it in the a.m., early, before anyone gets up. If I try any other time, it probably won't happen. So, consider the morning as a time to get stuff done. Then you'll feel good (and accomplished!) the rest of the day. Don't think about it . . .just do it!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I haven't been doing well, and hope this 2nd cycle will kick start me again...this week is especially hectic....though I know that's no excuse. My goals are much the same as I haven't achieved them yet. I'm up to 95 seconds on the plank and did lose some ground on my squats. I just got a DVD of the weight lifting I like to do so hopefully that will encourage me to get back to my exercise routine...especially the weight lifting as I notice the strength and fitness benefits right away from that.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

This time of year is crazy for me, but I made time to go to a bike shop on the weekend and replace my 25 year old bike someone stole out of the back yard last year.

I identified everything I needed in a bike to make me feel safe and secure enough to ride it to work (big basket on the back for all my books, bell, light, kickstand, fenders). I spared no expense and got a comfortable cruiser (that actually wasn't that expensive).

The bonus is that my kids are riding with me (I teach at their school) so we all benefit. It's not a huge work out, but it's better than what i would otherwise be doing this time of year.

Now I just need a way to keep this up when the snow starts to fly.

Really appreciate your keeping us focused, Anele.

• kiki_thinking
    9 years ago

I'm in.

I have gone from pretty sedentary last september, to doung crossfit every day this month. (I will happily talk more about my crossfit experience if anyone has questions)

Goal: to workout everyday, except for planned active recovery days. To make exercise a part of my daily routine, just like the rest of my body maintenance, like brushing my teeth. To develop real core strength.
    Obstacles: my mom's stroke, my daughter is out of school for the summer, so lack of time to give to my self.
    Also, i have historically had weak staying-power, i start out strong but end up abandoning things.
    Also, my husband is a little threatened by my new fitness lifestyle. It's turning his meals, his lifestyle, a little topsy turvy.
    Solutions: thinking... Open to suggestions.
    My crossfit box is starting a kids class, i hope my daughter will like it. I just bring her to crossfit with me, our gym is family friendly, and they permit it as long as the kids behave.
    I've been gleaning little scraps of changes,, storing them in my head for motivation.. When i start feeling like i'm not making progress, i consciously review all the positive changes...

Tonight my daughter and i had a sit-up race. We did 200 situps. Last december, all i could do at one time was 10.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

This has been a hectic week for me too. Got lots of miles in this weekend but work has been extremely busy (at lunch now in the middle of an all-day meeting). Going out of town for several days so will hopefully be able to get some jogging in while we're on vacation. You all know that's hard. Will keep you posted. Not only is it hard to work out, my eating usually suffers!

• legomom23
    9 years ago

Thanks Anele! I do find that saying strangely motivating!

I did well the first two days exercising in the morning. This morning didn't work that way so I have to do it when I get home which is bad for me. Plus I walked in shoes without socks and jumped on my trampoline in bare feet! I rubbed all sorts of blisters - bad ideas:)

I am much better with mornings so I need to get into that habit.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, a hectic week IS an excuse. Just lower the bar this week. Most important is that you feel GOOD about yourself. Feeling like you've failed or not done enough will only suck your energy. Make it so that you succeed. Which DVD did you get?

Daisy, biking sounds great! Focus on what you ARE doing, which is adding more exercise vs. worrying about how good a workout is. Like they say, the only bad workout is the one you didn't do! It is more than better than nothing-- it is fantastic! I think it will be a lot of fun for all of you. And yes, when it starts snowing, you can change it up a little!

Kiki, 200 situps???? WOW. That is amazing. Yes, tell me about crossfit! I looked it up but have only a vague idea about it.

I hear you about your DH. I am very concerned about my own and had a little talk with him. He is thin, but smokes on occasion (not around us-- kids have no idea-- but he does it daily if at work), eats horribly, etc.

Outside, yes! It is so hard when traveling. I found re: my eating when traveling just to remember how much better I feel physically when I continue to eat what is best for me. It made my trip so much more enjoyable. I hope you have fun!

Legomom, you must be so proud of yourself! I am proud of you! Remember that this is all a process. Even though we are breaking it down into weeks, it is forever! You are learning, your body is learning . . .you just learned not to walk without socks, LOL! And yes, mornings are really a must for me, too. Now that my kids are at home for vacation, I find that I can sleep in . . .but I force myself not to, and wake up before they do to get my workout in.

So, I've learned a little more this week myself. First of all, it seems that it is critical to continue moving yourself forward. Continue to challenge your body. I got a DVD at the beginning and hurt my knees with it. Seemed terrible for me. Well, the ones I have were just not doing enough, so I hesitantly went back to the 1st one. It was GREAT. My form is better, my knowledge of how to modify is better, etc. so I could do it . . .and I felt the positive effects.

In my last neighborhood, I saw a mom I knew run every day. She looked only moderately fit, even though she stuck to it, every single darn day. Looked like she did the same thing-- same pace. Never very fast. Now, if she was running to just have fun, OK. But for fitness? No. I think as soon as you get comfortable, you have to find a way to get just a little less comfortable . . .keep pushing, keeping trying new ways.

Also, I learned that I have NOT been doing enough cardio. I played tag with my kids yesterday, and I got tired fast. It will be part of my new routine, though. They loved it!

I am also looking into how we can (as a family) start going on hikes. May be too hot soon, but would be fun.

In conclusion, the times we feel like giving up should be a reminder to just work even harder. Just a bit . . .

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I got the Joyce Vedral Bottoms Up DVD...it's very similar to the book, but I see I wasn't doing some of the exercises right and I think I can do more of the pyramiding that she does. We'll see though as I enjoyed weight lifting while watching tv more than weight lifting to a dvd with the same dorky music in the background....

• kiki_thinking
    9 years ago

Anele,
    I have totally "drunk the koolaid" when it comes to crossfit.
    When I was going to planet fitness, a crossfit box opened up in town. I emailed the coach and said "I'm 45 and going from being completely sedentary to going to the gym every day and doing 7 weight machines and 30 minutes of cardio". I was wondering where my fitness would need to be to start crossfitting?"
    The coach coaxed me into coming in and doing the three session on-ramp class, and the fitness evaluation.
    I couldn't even do a squat.
    I couldn't do a lunge.
    I couldn't jump rope..
    My balance is just... Tragic.
    I have a bad knee, and I was 70 lbs overweight.

I was definitely out of my comfort zone. I apologized about my capabilities the whole time they evaluated me.

Then they asked me to come for a class and assured me they would modify the workouts to my level.

There are a few ways in which crossfit is miraculous:
    1. They have somehow managed to inculcate a supportive, encouraging tone into an industrial gym with loud aggressive music. Everyone takes pains to help each other, praise each other, encourage each other! I very quickly felt that no one was judging my weakness, only pleased for me that I was trying crossfit. Love the people!
    2. The workouts are different every day. Some days they work on strength, some days agility, stamina/speed/flexibility.. Benchmark workouts are repeated every few months, so you can see the improvement.
    3. MODIFICATIONS - this is key! For example, today I was told to do three sets of 10 pull-ups. I clearly can't just do them, but instead of telling me to skip that part, one day I will... They simply stretch 3 big rubber bands across for me to stand on. I bounce and pull-up. Then at the peak, I dig in and lower myself as slowly as possible. If bouncing makes the pull-ups too too easy, then a coach steals one of my rubber bands, making me pull a little to get my chin up.. If you can't run well, you can row. Can't do push-ups, do them on rings.
    4. Performance psychology...
    So they taught me how to lift weights with decent form. Then they tested me for my maximum ability to safely lift..
    Then: they put me in a team with a 35 year old guy who was 6'5" tall with full tattooed sleeves. Our team score was the time it took us to lift 65% of our max weight 50 times between the two of us. I was lifting 45 lbs. he was lifting 160 lbs. but while I lifted the weights 5 times, he had to hold all that weight at a collar position, straining. So you better believe I hurried!! And while he was struggling to lift 160 lbs 5 times, poor me, standing there, shaking, trying to hold my weight up. He hurried too! So we were each encouraged to perform better. It's diabolically clever!!

A couple of things i've learned:
    I thought I was doing great doing 10 sit-ups. The first time I had to do 30, the coach told me I could take as long as I wanted, just get them done. You know what? It took me a while, but the next time he said do 30, I absolutely knew it was doable. And so I was willing to put a little more energy in to do it a little faster. And a few days later, I was asked to do 50. The confidence I had from doing 30 helped me do the fifty. 90 % of the game is mental! It really is!

I may feel incredibly puny at crossfit, but I walk proud the rest of the day.

One big thing I've learned is that your body has to warm up. Honestly, when doing a bunch of sit-ups, the first 30 are the worst. After that, you are warmed up, you find a rhythm and it gets easier, much. Then as you approach the end, it gets tougher again. But however hard you feel something is when you start, it won't stay that hard. Your body will loosen up and perform more efficiently.

Being surrounded by fit people pushing themselves HARD is motivating. Changes my perception of what working out is.

I have been doing crossfit for five weeks, and I can't believe the changes I'm seeing. The workout generally takes 20 min to 1 hour, and I go 5 days a week. My motto for this week is: walk in strong, crawl out stronger. Lol.
    In 5 weeks I've actually gained 1.3 lbs, but I've dropped two pants sizes, from a stuffed into my size 18 pants, to a 14!!! And I feel good except I'm sore somewhere every day.

I'd be happy to talk more if anyone has questions.

I

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, I am planning on getting one of her DVDs based on your recommendation earlier, but still deciding which one. Coincidentally, I JUST saw the one you have reviewed on a website I came across re: cellulite. Looks like a good one! Tell me how it goes!

Kiki, thank you for such an in-depth review. Wow! It sounds like CF addresses so many important aspects of working out. After reading what you wrote, I looked it up. I see it has some critics (like everything), but it seems like the most important thing is to find the right, safe, CF instructor for you, and it is fantastic. The one you go to sounds like one that emphasizes all the right things! Definitely something I will keep in mind if my schedule changes re: my kids!

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer