Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

omega 3 anyone?

daisychain01
10 years ago

Is anyone taking Omega-3 Calm? A couple of weeks ago, I started taking this to help with mood swings. Since I've been taking it, I've lost 7 lbs - without trying. I am not someone who loses weight without meaning to. Like many people, I've found it increasingly hard to keep from gaining weight as I get older and my weight has been creeping up incrementally as I age. I googled it and found one small study that showed taking Omega 3 with increased exercise may help with weight loss, but looking at the results I think the weight loss could be explained by the increase in exercise alone (but I'm no scientist).

What I'm worried about is that there may be something else going on with my body that could be a negative and it's just a coincidence that it started at the same time I started the Omega 3. I just had a check up 6 months ago and I hate going to the doctor, so would rather avoid the trip. Thoughts? Anyone want to guinea pig it and see if they have the same results?

Comments (17)

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I would also be concerned about "unexplained" weight loss. I don't think you can count on someone else's experience for anything. People react differently to medications and supplements and don't all experience the same side effects. Maybe you should just stop taking it and see if your weight returns to previous the level or if you continue to lose.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gibby, your advice is rational and logical and I should probably do that. However, with the summer bathing suit season here, I will probably disregard it and just enjoy being slimmer (unless I get any other "symptoms" of course). Feel free to say, "I told you so" if I come back on with some extreme medical condition in the future :-)

Yes, yayagal I am definitely eating less, too. I just don't have the appetite I usually do. Last night I made a small bowl of popcorn and didn't feel the need to finish it even though I'd had a small supper. Normally, I would finish the popcorn and then move onto the ice-cream. I didn't find info about it boosting your metabolism, but that is good to know.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Wow - you'd think if this was so effective for weight loss more people would be taking it for that purpose. Or maybe they are and I've just never heard about it. I hear ya on the summer swimsuit season....

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

daisychain01 have you noticed any improvement in mood? Do you know if this different somehow from other Omega 3 formulations? Also curious where you purchased it from. Maybe the weight loss is somehow related to feeling better and thus moving more/eating less. I know when I feel good, stable mood etc, I eat healthier and want to be more active.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I have heard Dr. Amen on PBS specifically recommend taking fish oil to maximize weight loss from exercising. He is pro food as medicine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fish oil & weight loss

• busybee3
    10 years ago

omega 3 doesn't decrease my appetite ... but what is in it that makes it omega 3 'calm'???

• Vertise
    10 years ago

When I was looking for a link, I came across studies showing its fatty acids can be effective with mood disorders. One study states the brain's fat is primarily made up of of the fat we eat (horrifying!) and that omega 3 fats create more fluidity in the brain's cell membranes, making communication between cells better.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I've read that chia seeds actually contain a lot of omega 3 and are more beneficial than fish oil. Since fatty fish also tend to store more mercury, I'd rather take mine in plant form!

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haven't noticed a change in mood yet, but it's only been 2 weeks. Mood swings as I age have become unbearable and if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to them. Also looking at purchasing a product called Fem Meds, but it's only available online, so I'm a bit wary.

I'm a teacher and this is a very stressful, busy time. Usually as I write my reports, I'm eating the whole time. I often gain 2 or 3 lbs. This time I'm losing - weird.

Not sure what makes it "calm." I'm at work right now and can't look at the bottle. It is Jamieson brand and is available at grocery stores and pharmacies (here in Canada anyways).

I've always been an advocate of getting what you need from what you eat rather than taking pills, but the last couple of years I've been popping a few different vitamins trying to get the hormones under control. So far, the only effect seems to be to make the drug companies wealthier.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Daisy, have you thought of trying a homeopathic practitioner? Maybe having your hormones checked thru saliva testing? Sounds like menopause to me with the mood swings, which are affected by hormones. Do a natural rather than a synthetic hormone supplement, which is NOT normally prescribed by a regular MD.

• User
    10 years ago

Any good fat .i.e. olive oil, flax seed, coconut oil, avocados, will aid in weight loss and good health. Not all fat is not the enemy as we have been told to believe...processed sugar is.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty, thanks for the reminder. I have been thinking I will do that over the summer holidays. Getting old is he!!

roseabbey, it is good advice to take no advice. All the things that have been demonized over the years, only to be found later to be beneficial. I try to take Michael Pollan's advice and "eat food, not too much, mostly vegetables." Although it's the middle one I have most trouble with :-)
    Hope I've got his name and quote right, don't shoot me if I don't, but I love a common sense approach to diet.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Have you had your thyroid tested? I recall it's not uncommon to go hyperthyroid around the time of menopause, although it can fluctuate back and forth rather than be in need of treatment.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I looked up the Omega-3 calm and it seems to be omega 3 oils derived from sardines and anchovies...so nothing else special in it.

I wouldn't think it would trigger weight loss unless your body was looking for those essential fatty acids and encouraging you to eat more trying to get them. (Many obese people are actually malnourished and there is some thinking that their bodies encourage them to eat more in search of adequate nutrition which they aren't getting...no idea if that's true or how they would prove it.)

However, weight loss can be caused by hyperthyroidism. You might want to get your thyroid checked, particularly if you are having other symptoms like tremors, higher blood pressure and faster resting pulse rate, feeling ravenous, more frequent BMs, muscle weakness, inability to tolerate heat...tested with a blood test, doc should run at least a TSH and a Free T-4.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

From the National Institute of Health:

Weight loss. Some evidence shows that eating fish improves weight loss and decreases blood sugar in overweight people and people with high blood pressure. Preliminary research also shows that taking a specific fish oil supplement 6 grams daily (Hi-DHA, NuMega), providing 260 mg DHA/gram and 60 mg EPA/gram, significantly decreases body fat when combined with exercise.

Here is a link that might be useful: NIH on fish oil benefits

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie you might be right. I wonder if I was missing something and my body was craving it. The biggest difference is missing that ravenous feeling. While I wasn't eating massive amounts of food, I did always feel like I couldn't eat enough and, given the opportunity, would eat way more than I knew I should.

I will get thyroid and hormones tested this summer. On a side note, my nephew (age 8) who we all thought was just slow and weak, was recently diagnosed with a thyroid problem. It has been amazing to see him turn into a "normal" little boy after all the worrying everyone did over him.