Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hhireno

June Healthy Check-in

hhireno
10 years ago

It's June! The special time for Dads and Grads and Brides & Grooms. Maybe all our gift giving this month should be things to encourage healthy living.

June also gives us more daylight hours to enjoy outside activities. But wear sunscreen, we need to protect our skin.

I'll be married 20 years this month. It certainly doesn't seem like it's been that many years. We're both in better shape and healthier now than we were then.

How is it going with you?

Comments (38)

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

As I said on Pesky's gluten thread, I'm having some really messed up thyroid issues - hashimoto's dx and some rapidly growing nodules. I knew something weird was going on but just couldn't put my finger on it.

I'm tired all the time and a little depressed. This is so unlike me - I'm the happiest person I know! Anyway, this lack of activity and motivation has me very discouraged and I go from keeping my chin up and powering through eating healthy and going to the gym for a few weeks to going in the opposite direction for a few weeks. I've gained so much weight . . .

With my medication adjusted I do feel slightly better and that dark cloud isn't following me around anymore. So maybe I can get my brain back on track.

I still have a looming biopsy of my thyroid in a month so hopefully my nodules are benign and I can get on down the road!

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Oh I was too busy wallowing and forgot to say congratulations Hhireno! Twenty years is such a milestone.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

I have been doing pretty well with my walking. I haven't lost any weight, but am feeling so much better physically and emotionally. Our anniversary is also coming up - June 8th - 28 years!

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Congratulations Hhireno and Texanjana!

I started Weight Watchers in mid-April and as of last Thursday I was down 25lbs. I'm thrilled! However, since I have been hurt, it's slowed down and nearly stopped-I suspect its because the meds have me swollen and my digestion has slowed to nothing (thank you narcotic drugs).

I was hoping to start a regular exercise routine this month, but that is going to have to hold off until my back is healed enough to start. So I've had a small set back, but plan to move forward with further vigor. Especially now that I'm gluten-free and finding excellent ways to prepare meals that are vegetable based.

I bought a cute sun dress for my eldest DD but it was too big for her. Yesterday I was getting ready to pack it up to return when I looked at it and wondered-today I tried it on and it fits beautifully! I haven't worn sundresses in years! So that too has me more motivated. Hoping to lose at least another 10 -12 lbs by DD's wedding in August.

• hhireno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pesky,
    Wow, you go girl! What a wonderful beginning to better health. Baby that back injury and don't rush the exercise. You don't want to delay the healing or re-aggravate it. Considering all your emotional and physical stressors the last few weeks, you're really doing so well. Stay the course.

Texanjana,
    I don't think of these threads as only about weight loss, but better health in general. As you mentioned, the walking does improve your physical and emotional health, even if there isn't a particular change in number to celebrate. Best wishes for at least another 28 years of happy marriage.

Kelly,
    That is too bad about your thyroid wrecking havoc on you. Hopefully the nodules will be benign and they can get the medication at the optimal dose to get you back to your happy, healthy-as-can-be-self.

When we got married I couldn't even imagine 20 years down the road, it seemed like forever away. And yet, blink, here it is. I think I'll re-up for another 20 and then we'll see where we are.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Hhireno - what a lovely uplifting opening for this month. Congrats on your anniversary.

Kelly, hope you get your thyroid issues straightened out soon. Have never had that kind of thing but have heard it's a bit of a nightmare.

Pesky - congrats on your weight loss progress! Hope you'll be recovered soon from your injuries.

Texanjana - have you recently started walking or increased your walking or what is your story? If you mentioned earlier I don't recall.

It's been a weird month. Many people I know having serious health problems - mostly older family members. Lots of cancer but also dementia, sudden blindness and my alcoholic brother's situation elevating itself onto my radar. And my geriatric cat died - sad but he is in a better place now. Then another friend lost his job that he'd only had for about 18 months - a major blow to the family. Just lots of trials and tribulations for many folks.

I feel so fortunate that for the moment, DH and I are both in good shape. We have each had serious health issues arise over the last year but we are good now. In fact all the humans and felines in our household are healthy now and enjoying each day we wake up and can say that.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Back on track, my surgery was six weeks ago. I also have another health issue, but will not have to address it until mid August.
    Until then, I am happy to be back at work, and having everything back to normal.
    Add my congrats to hhireno and texjana.
    Kelly, hang in there.
    Pesky, congrats on your weight lose and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I love this monthly check-in, indeed it's more than weight loss, healthy mind and body is what we all aim for and it's nice to start the month with good intentions: this thread always motivates me to set a few small goals for myself.

I've been living in a hotel for 2 weeks, the gym is small but nice, I've been using it to get in at least my 2 miles cardio.
    I've managed to maintain my weight and not eat all the jelly beans that the room attendant leaves on my pillow.

Passing up on snacks and treats is still my main objective, being downtown brings so many temptations on my path. When I'm having dinner alone, I'll have a burger but never the fries.

This weekend, I'll be moving into DD's old condo so I'll be able to have more fresh food on hand.

DD is getting married early august so I'm on a countdown to be at a good weight and good form, without being unrealistic.

good luck everyone on your goals for June !!!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Hi, ladies, your posts on thyroid issues reminds me I also really need a recheck. It's very frustrating as my primary care doc generally pats me on the head and that's it. I really want to see and endo. One of my students really got hers on track. Her endo is 2 hours away, but I will drive if I have to. It's been very frustrating for me with Weight Watchers because since January I haven't even lost 5 lbs. I am even using the ActiveLink.

I just finished an 8-week Mindfullness-Based Stress Reduction class (MBSR) which is a type of meditation, and it has really helped! I do *something* every day, even if it is sit quietly for 5-10 min. I am far less reactive to stress which I so needed. I hope to continue with some other local practice groups. The class is run by a family practice physician who realized 10 years ago she was treating people medically but not really treating the source of their problems. So, I highly recommend it.

I am doing some work this summer--mostly revising a course for a "flipped classroom" concept, not as much as last summer which was too much. I hope to work on the home office so I can get my treadmill desk. DH is on board with it, but we need a major cleanout.

Just turned 50 on Monday. Three out of my 4 siblings, SIL, and BIL drove 600 miles to celebrate with me, which was wonderful. They rented a house by a lake, and we had a nice time out there. The youngest of those who came was 60. I told DH it is was like the ghost of Christmas future in that it really demonstrates how I have to take better care of myself. Sister and BIL have both had knee surgeries including replacements, so stairs are pretty hard for them. Thank goodness I've made it to 50 with no joint problems, and I want to keep it that way.

Went to the dermatologist the other day for what I considered routine visit, though I had missed 2-3 years, and I wound up having two things biopsied, so now I must wait on the results. She seemed pretty concerned with a small spot near my hairline. I told DH he must go since he has sandy blond hair, fair skin, and blue eyes.

Went to Zumba yesterday with my favorite instructor. She teaches M and W at 9:30 so I can only go when I am off school. So much fun, and it makes me feel alive and joyful.

hhireno, we have only been married 7 years, but DH and I met 10 years ago. Really, it seems like yesterday.

Hope I'm not too rambling.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

hhireno, thanks for starting the thread! Congratulations on your anniversary, and all the other June brides.

Kelly, I have hashimotos too and am wondering if there's trouble brewing...hang in there. One thing that has been important for me is to take the real synthroid, no subs, and take it on an empty stomach. I try to take at the 3AM pee break if I can.

YAY Pesky! That's so great to lose that much. I'm down 6 lbs with My Fitness Pal.com. It definitely helps. I FREAKING LOST my fitbit. I won't allow myself to get a new one until I pay for the one I stuck on my BestBuy card. So annoying!

Let's see..not much in the exercise world. Beach walking or biking when I can. I've been working 6 or 7 days a week for the last few. I am taking a new medical records job, which will have set hours and I think that'll help a lot with exercise planning. Waitressing a day or two is always good too. I really want to get back to lifting weights, I bought a book but haven't had a chance to read it. It's about lifting heavier weights (I think..)

Does anyone else feel like this year has flown by?

Beth P.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

BethP - isn't it amazing how helpful it is to use a tracker like My Fitness Pal? I love my tracker - it's just become a daily routine now and has helped me so much with portion control and just realizing how many calories are in things. It's astonishing. There are some restaurant meals I would have thought weren't too bad that I now realize are nearly an entire day's calories. It also motivates me to exercise when I might otherwise skip it.

Sorry to hear about your fit bit.

• hhireno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gibby,
    I read that being grateful, like you waking each day happy to be awake and alive, is an important factor in health and happiness. Witnessing all the illness and misfortune around us certainly helps us focus on our gratitude for our own situation.

Ellendi,
    Even if you didn't like your job, I bet it would be great to be back to normal and back to work after the scary disruption of surgery. I hope your August issue goes well also.

Mitchdesj,
    A wedding, how fun! Any details you can share with us? What will you be wearing? And the bride?

Gsciencechick,
    Happy 50th! On my 50th, almost 4 years ago!!, all my siblings were here, which was the best way to celebrate. My sisters, all great cooks, made my favorites for dinner and did all the clean up. It was perfect.
    Back to you, that does seem odd that your weight hasn't budged in so long. Can you get an appointment with the endo without a primary referral?

Bethpen,
    I used to work in Medical Records. One downside is the sitting, sitting, sitting all day long. You'll need another fitbit so you can set the alarm to vibrate and remind you to get up and move around every hour. That is terrible that you lost it. Did you ask St. Anthony for help?

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Since I have a PPO I should not need a referral. The other thing I will need from primary care MD is that if he wants me to undergo a colonoscopy it's going to have to be in the summer or else it's going to be another year. So, I will have to see him for that referral.

I SHOULD be able to lose 5 lbs. I have real weight to lose. It's not vanity weight. I am just feeling completely demoralized about it.

No updates on skin yet.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I keep losing and gaining the same 3 lbs., yadda yadda.... I really need to lose 10-12 lbs. but it might as well be 50 lbs., it's so hard!

Have been going around with a variety of health issues in my house -- of the last 4 weekends, we (or one of us) have spent 3 of them getting injured and/or visiting medical facilities. Add to that the usual craziness of the end of school parties, sports banquets, etc., and the diet has been on the back burner.

I need to get back to counting points on WW, because that was working for me.

I also am about to join the local YMCA for their selection of yoga classes, now that I have been diagnosed with panic attacks. Also am going to try mediation, which is excruciating for me but I have a good reason to try again. I found the shortest Meditation Oasis podcast I could get (8 min.) and did it last night. Not too painful. Now I just have to be consistent about it.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

GS-my med provider started sending me all these health reminders once I turned 50. So I got the shingles vacc, and they send me a package to collect an annual 'sample'-no colonoscopy unless the sample appears abnormal.

A bunch of other reminders are sent automatically also-I just had another blood test and the results noted an HIV test was done. The next day I got a letter from them that I'd received results before I was notified that they were going to test for HIV-guess they have made it routine for ALL patients 50 and up to be tested. Glad to know that I'm not HIV+ (not that I ever thought I was at risk).

I've had the Hashimoto's diagnosis for over 15 years-but I don't attribute it to my weight gain/loss. However your results may vary. For me, it's the lymphedema that I have that causes me to carry more than I want. I too have real weight to lose-and I've always been able to do it easily-it's just KEEPING it off that is hard for me.

Right now I'm hurting in several places-mostly due to a huge laugh-fest I had with my sister. I also learned that it is EXTREMELY painful to close a lap top computer that is sitting on your lap if you are not wearing a bra.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

I'm almost half way through my summer intensive Pilates program and loving it more and more. I can tell that I'm stronger because exercises I used to be totally unable to accomplish are now possible, albeit I still flail about like a demented walrus much of the time :). And I'm starting to really notice my midsection is getting more toned, mostly because my pants are getting looser and looser. Mentally it is wonderful too; Pilates really is a mind/body connection exercise.

I just had my annual check up yesterday. I have lost ~6 pounds since last year. Plant based diet is working very well, I feel great most of the time. I'm still trying to push myself to cut sugar out of my diet; my sweet tooth is definitely my weakness. And I have learned that it's important to keep some protein around because if not I tend to crash when I get hungry.

Still need to push myself to expand into some additional exercise. I may start back running except I'm going to try the walk/run/walk interval plan rather than pushing my body. I don't know that I'm really capable of running several miles several days weekly any more. And weights-the Pilates instructor has me doing some work that involves upper body strength and I am woefully short on that.

Mostly though I feel really good these days. As I told my GP, menopause seems to be agreeing with me so far. Other than the occasional wonky internal temperature gauge life is good :).

Ann

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Thanks, Pesky, for the heads up on colon and reminder about the shingles vaccine, too. I was talking about that with my siblings last weekend. My sister has had shingles twice. OTOH my oldest brother never had chicken pox. I am going to have to go see the primary care doc, even though I don't like him.

How did you know you have lymphedema? Are you a cancer survivor, if you don't mind me asking. I sometimes have trouble with swelling in my feet but that usually means a thyroid med adjustment which helps that a lot.

I've never been a person who loses weight easily, even when younger. I would always eek it out. Not even the first week on WW. All these people would lose 5-6 lbs and I'd lose 1, maybe 2 if I'm lucky. I joined WW in early 80's, was at or under goal for 7-8 years, struggled in late 90's onward, got back to goal in mid-2000's, then struggled from about 2009 when I got the hypothyroid dx.

Sorry for the pain, but glad you were able to laugh with your sister.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I have primary lymphedema-I was born with it but it didn't show up until my early 30's. It's bi-lateral in me-mostly in my legs, but I have it everywhere.

Took me 10 years to get diagnosed because I kept hearing "thyroid; age; weight; hormones; don't know why" Went thru diuretics (no help whatsoever and lowered my BP too far so I quit those). raising my legs, and a variety of things. Finally got tested for congestive heart failure, blocked veins, and virtually every cause of swelling.

Eventually found a doc who landed on the diagnosis and there I landed. I do not have blocked lymph tracks, rather my lymphatic 'pump' does not work so the lymph just collects at low points.

Lymphedema is very different from regular edema-typical fixes don't work. It's more than just swollen feet you get with pregnancy or hormone variants, but it takes a lot of digging to get to it. In my case it was that my calves/ankles were so swollen and pitting and I couldn't stand the pain. I could barely walk. I've learned to live with it-my legs will never be 'normal' but I wish I didn't have it! I even have swollen wrists, groin and arm pits.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Thank you for your reply. My problems are mostly feet/ankles and definitely not that severe, and I've not noticed in upper body. I'm taking a webinar on exercise for post-cancer clients so I can take a certification exam, and dealing with lymphedema is part of it. My colleagues who've done the research with cancer patients found no adverse effects of exercise.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Just wanted to give an update that all my skin biopsies were negative--yay! I just have to be sure I go yearly and make sure I get blue-eyed fair-skinned DH to go.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Great news GS!!! Just wanted to mention that a screening colonoscopy is recommended for age 50. Our internist told my husband he needed to schedule one - said "happy birthday to you"!

tina

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I just made appointments for primary care doc and GYN. I am on my last refill of Synthroid so I have to go in for a recheck. I will discuss all the "50's" tests with him.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

After learning that the ibuprofen I was given by the ER doc for my broken back caused me to bleed into my stomach, I had to get an upper endoscopy. Good news is that all is clear, no permanent damage to my stomach and my esophagus is clear. I lost my Dad and a great-Uncle to Esophageal cancer, and many family members on Dad's mom's side have acid reflux and Barretts Esopagus. I've battled acid reflux myself and have been very worried about that, but I got a clean bill of intestinal health!

Weighed in again last Thursday and down 30 lbs!! Weigh in again tomorrow, we'll see how I'm doing.

I have been released back to work full time, with a limitation of no field work till the end of July. Makes it tough for my job, as this is field season, but I can just take a lot of time to get paperwork and my office cleaned now.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Wow Pesky, all I can say - and I know you all ready know this - you are one strong a$$ woman!

When it rains it pours but you just put your rain coat on and hit the road!

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Pesky, I joined WW Monday. Second part of stress test today after abnormal EKG. Really pi**ed off at myself. Starting exercise program if stress test is normal.

You are my inspiration. 25 lbs in two months is amazing. Maybe we should have a separate Weight Watchers thread.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I do WW off and on as I lose and then gain the same 15 lbs over the years. I don't have a significant problem with weight, but find myself slipping out of control at times and need to start holding myself more accountable for my choices. And this is where WW steps in. I like it because it teaches me about healthy choices and proper portion sizes without having to follow some radical restrictive diet. I like the fact that I can eat whatever I want, but just have to make up for it in other ways throughout the day or week. I have been back on WW for the past several weeks. I would be a happy participant in a WW thread.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I'm back and I'm radioactive :-)

Kellie, I'm doing the monthly pass and love the apps and tracking foods on my phone and Ipad. I feel like the program is easier than it was years ago with the ability to find point values so easily. Wish I had so little to lose.

Pesky, just saw that you are down 30. Just wow...

Is anyone else here on WW?

I have never been at a point in life where I have had to lose weight for health reasons. My DH loves me fat or thin, so that was never an incentive.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Still counting along. Good news though...someone found my Fitbit and turned it in! They are mailing it to me. YAY!

Now that school is out, I am going to start walking in the mornings before work.

Beth P.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

34.6 lbs down since mid-April. Between the WW and gluten-free, I'm dropping the lbs like crazy! I keep waiting for it to plateau, but so far I've consistently averaged over 3 lbs a week loss.

BP is good-last check it was 117/68. Total non-fasting cholesterol is 165-but my triglicerides were on the high end of acceptable range. Non-fasting blood glucose was 109. So for being very heavy-I've got no weight related illnesses.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Wow Pesky...

I want to know how you are losing so fast so I can do some of the same things. I have been religiously tracking my food on my Ipad/iPhone.

Are you using all of your daily points? Are you using your 49 weekly points? Any other tips???

How much are you exercising?

I can't start exercising until I get the results of my stress test on Monday. First weigh in Monday.

3 lbs a week is amazing.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Just want to chime in with more kudos to Pesky - fantastic!!

And yippee for bethpen and the found Fitbit!! It's so nice when good things like that happen.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I have been horrible at my tracking! I haven't installed the app on my phone, but really should do it.

I think my 'secret' is that I eat a green salad EVERY DAY, and I eat a lot of fruit and veggies. I rarely eat processed foods any more.

Oh, I DO cheat-so to speak. I use blue cheese on my salads, the dressing is usually a type of vinagrette-and I know it's got sugar in it. But I don't eat any bread or wheat products. I pretty much cut out dairy (except for my blue cheese!)

I snack on popcorn, carrots & hummus, or fruit. So let me see-This is what I had today: cup coffee w/non-dairy creamer and sweetener and a banana. Later I mixed up 1/2 c uncooked oatmeal (easily doubles when cooked), add some plain, organic soy milk and a teaspoon of sugar. (Sometimes I add dried fruit.)

Lunch was an 8pt Smart Ones meal and a giant green salad w/lite raspberry vinagrette. Afternoon snack was a bag of lite micro pop corn. For dinner I stopped at Panera bread and got a full size steak & blue cheese chopped salad (no bread). I drink water through out the day and a Diet Pepsi with lunch and sip it through the afternoon.. I have some raspberries I just picked out of our yard that I may or may not eat for dessert, but I'm, still really full from the salad.

Can't do exercise yet due to my broken back, but before I got hurt, i was planning to join the gym down the street to start using the treadmill and pool.

Honestly, I don't know how I'm losing so much so fast-I think a lot has to do with cutting out wheat. I would love it if I could keep this pace up-I'd be at goal a lot sooner than I had hoped! But I fully expect it to grind to a halt one day and then I'll be stuck. However, I do know that I have made a choice to change how i eat, made a different relationship with food, so no matter how much or how fast I lose, eating healthier is my priority.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Pesky--. Loved your description of what you ate yesterday. If you were tracking, I would say that's not very many points. I eat a lot more wheat products than you do. I may need to cut way back on these. And more salads for me, for sure...since they are free.

I have to have my half and half in my coffee (2 cups). That's 1 point in 2 T. Anything else I can give up.

How did you break your back.?

You should install the WW app. It is fun and really makes tracking easy. The bar code scanner App is great too. Fun way to find the points of foods then put them in Favories if you eat them often. The Kitchen Companion App...I'm not too impressed with.

Thanks for the tips! Very helpful.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Based on your food for the day as you described, I estimate that's about 1700 calories and not really low carb.

If you eat like that everyday, you're sure to lose weight but three pounds a week? I can lose three pounds a week if I eat around 1200-1400 calories per day and exercise a minimum of 12 hours a week.

That just goes to show, we are all different and what works for some doesn't work for others.

Either way, keep it up great job!!

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I broke my back in a bad fall 4 weeks ago. I actually feel pretty good today, but am breaking my chores into teeny-tiny increments and resting in between.

I'm not trying to cut carbs, but trying to cut out hidden sugar, HFC and gluten.

The day I broke my back I weighed in and had lost 7 lbs in one week. The next week it was 0.6. I did WW before and lost a LOT in a short time, but then I did put it back on again. This time, I'm NOT putting it back on.

Today my husband gave me a box and it weighed 35 lbs. I could barely hold on to it...and then I realized, I'd been carrying that around three months ago.

I will be a willing cheer leader for my partners in weight loss!! I know I'm due to hit dry spell and will feel defeated, so I'll need the support too!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Life time WW member for over ten years. But, right now I am at the high end of where I want to be. Still within WW range though.
    I stop in to weigh in once per month. It really does keep me honest.
    I would love to lose 5-10 pounds. All my weight is around my middle.
    As we all know, the struggle is keeping the weight off. I am always amazed how I can gain 2-3 lbs over night. Then it takes literally weeks to lose it.
    I am back on track and even tracking what I am eating.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

my tracking is mixed....I find that I am picture perfect during the week, but allow myself the weekends to cheat. And then I fall into the "I just dont want to know" mindset and stop tracking about Friday evening and get back on track on Sunday. I am sure I am partially sabotaging myself with this behavior, but I find it helps my sanity and keeps me from feeling overly deprived.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Kellie, my feeing always has been that if I am in the wanting to lose weight mode, no matter how slowly, as long as the weight is going down, it's fine.
    Quick weight lose never works.