Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queenofmycastle0221

One word to tattoo on your body - Kinda OT

While sitting at the spa waiting for my toes to dry, I noted the woman across from me had a word tattooed on her wrist but I couldn't make it out. I asked her and she stated "Powerless". I am sure it had meaning to her but I couldn't figure out why anyone would describe themselves that way. Then I started thinking that if I had to pick one word to tattoo on my wrist I had no idea what it would be except maybe my son's name. What about you?

Comments (73)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

My cousin is a terrific artist, but he couldn't get people to pay him for his art on their walls, but they would pay him for his art on their skin. He's been tattooing for years now. And while I don't like the medium, I do enjoy the talent his artwork displays.

{{gwi:1510703}}

I have no desire for a tattoo, but if I did, I would consider something like this in white. So much more ethereal than the black ink.

{{gwi:1510705}}

I asked my cousin what he thought of white ink tattoos, and he said, if you're going to go through all the pain, it really should show more....though he says he has done them.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Annie - how interesting. I've never seen one in white. Tattoos aren't for me but that one is intriguing.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Curious why do people want tatoos? Aside from sailors, who used to be the ones we'd see them on in the past (or maybe gangs and motorcyle guys like the Warlocks) it seems rebellious to me, as well as "tough". Kind of like pink or green hair, mohawks, nose or tongue rings. Then someone gets offended if you look at them, lol.

Aside from the pain, I don't like anything permanent.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i'm glad i have never gotten a tattoo... my tastes have changed as i have gotten older!! i tell my kids to think long and hard before making that decision because what is 'cool' or impt at one stage of their lives easily might change as they mature...
    i imagine that the person with the powerless tattoo knew that she would always have her addiction, no matter how long she lived and wanted a daily, visible reminder of that to help with her recovery... but even then, if it was my kid, i would remind them that at some point in their recovery, they may wish to slip into anonymity re: their addiction and might not always want such an obvious tattoo announcing it to others...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Even tattoos need not be permanent. My cousin had done a lot of over-tattooing where they cover up an old and no longer desired tattoo with a new one. Kind of tricky to do as you want to obscure and incorporate the old one, but it can be done.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"visible reminder of that to help with her recovery"

Why not just wear a bracelet or something? I agree, tastes change and you could not later slip into anonymity with the addiction reminder (if others even knew what it meant). Job interviews could be a problem too if you have done large or bold things.

• jennchel
    10 years ago

breathe

Sometimes I need to remind myself to do that, so I had it tattood on me.

This post was edited by jennchel on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 12:47

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I wouldn't ever get a tattoo, but can appreciate the art of them. I have to say that white one posted above kind of creeps me out, tho. It looks like the skin is scarred (in a beautiful pattern for sure) but it looks too much like it's raised like a scar would be. Like it would feel rough - I know it's not but it looks like it is.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Snookums, it's like my dad always told us kids "that's why they make chocolate and vanilla".

I personally don't want a tattoo but that's my choice/preference. I have seen some beautiful tats on others.

I think both Ded and Kelly were merely giving their opinions. I don't see that it was ugly. I think Kelly may be my idol LOL.

Badger - lovely! Very touching remembrance of your son.

Oh! my word would be "joy".

tina

• natesgram
    10 years ago

SAG in tiny letters because eventually that's what it would do on my skin and it would remind me never to do another.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

@Tina!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

If you think the white one looks rough, get a load of this one! No, that is not a wooden leg, but a tat!

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

I have a one word tattoo for Annie~

PHOTOSHOP.........

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

I'd never seen a white tattoo either, interesting.

It's one of those things I think can sometimes necessitate 'age appropriate', although I can admit not always when the work has significant meaning, something life changing, not purely decoration - because as we all know, when decorating our tastes can change and this can't be remedied by kitchen design or new furniture.

I have a friend who seems to be competing somehow with her college age daughters, but without the money for really quality artistic work. She's 'wearing' a heavy vine tattooed around her ankle that looks to me like something a pre-schooler did with a felt tip, and some kind of blue/green curley-q scroll mess that goes from behind her ear, down the side of her throat to her collar bone now. Also very badly done, single color, no shading, no artistic value at all. I try not to be judgmental when a little voice inside me is screaming what the h*ll were you thinking, you look silly.

As for the one word, I'd have to give that some very serious thought over time before I could commit to something I'd wear forever. I think that summarizes as tasteful and expensively done (if you can't afford the best don't do it) and I'm OK with it, but not many I see are.

Maybe a small peace sign would work for me, and yes, I'm the right age to have experienced the 60's :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Not necessarily, forboystoo....they do make 3-d tats

Here is a link that might be useful: 3d tats

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Get a load of these 3d tats

Here is a link that might be useful: 3d tats

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

My 3 highly visible tats all have significant meaning to me, not just artwork. Oddly enough, the one that gets the most questions and reactions is the 3 dancing chickens done in single line on the inside arm just above my right wrist. The most recent, a beautiful 3d, full color rendition of an Italian horn and sentiment rarely is mentioned by most people.

I think if I were to chose a single word it'd be ROCK. For multiple reasons-I am steady and grounded as a rock; while tough, I am vulnerable to the forces. I can roll along when the waters get rough and still maintain my essence. And because I am a complete Rock n' Roll fan.

Sheesh-now I think I WILL have to get that tattooed on my wrist!

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

I was only commenting on that particular tattoo~
    not the art of 3D Tattooing .

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i would have to vote photoshop for the above tattoo too!!

based on the majority of the tattoos i've seen, there are many, many not so talented tattoo artists out there... even some of the pro athletes who would presumably have a higher budget for this type of art have some very mediocre tattoos...

have been watching some of the nba finals.... i have to vote 'the birdman' as having by far the most colorful tattoos i have ever seen!!!

• ladypat1
    10 years ago

Not into ink, but as I get older, and hear more and more about alzheimer's, I am thinking my name for a tat.

• User
    10 years ago

I'm too chicken for a tattoo and too cheap. But some of those 3 d tats have amazing artwork. The artist makes all the difference. As for a word- Reedeemed

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

forboystoo, you piqued my curiosity.

As best as I can determine, (I don't know Russian) it is not a tattoo, but body art, done using paint. The artist is a Russian named Pasha Znag. Here is another of his works...

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

We have a student who has a medic alert tattooed on his wrist for his diabetes.

No tattoos on either me or DH. I think we are the only blank canvasses at all the rock shows. He has considered getting one of our little kitty who passed away.

Long story on why I don't have any, but I would have probably gotten one before all the universal precautions for bloodborne pathogens, so I am probably much safer not having any.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

To take it out of the realm of its roots and image in the States ...

Here is a link that might be useful: body art in African tribes

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 16:01

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Annie, I'm afraid that image has also been manipulated in Photoshop.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

kelly, how can you tell?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

accidental duplicate

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 21:53

• User
    10 years ago

I admit I am surprised at how many people here on GW seem to have tattoos.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I think tattoos are more mainstream than many of us think, especially with people under 40 . And I think we are a more diverse group than you might imagine.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Annie, my first clue was that the art seems to sit "on top" of her back - it's not flattened.

My second is that the shadows and highlights on the art don't match with the rest of the image.

Then I opened it up in PS and zoomed in on the pixels. The pixels along the border of the art don't match the pixels of the rest of the image.

Finally, as if that wasn't enough, I looked at the compression levels. See how the art stands out against the rest of the image? That's because it was added after the fact and hasn't gone through the same number of compressions as the original image.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I don't see them around very much either, although they seem to be popular now. Maybe that's been mostly just hearing people talk about them online, or celebrities.

A checkout girl had her whole arm done in color. It was an interesting design and I said it was pretty. She got all uptight, lol. I guess we're not supposed to notice or mind our own business. I notice hair styles and clothing too, lol.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 9:52

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I agree, graywings, when it has gotten down to the level of fraternity and sororities, they are not radical and definitely mainstream. It's more radical not to have one, LOL. Even heard that from Ozzy.

This post was edited by gsciencechick on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 9:59

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Thanks, kelly. Too bad, as if it were real it would be unbelievably cool.

• User
    10 years ago

That makes me want to take a course in photo shop.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Kellyeng, I did include in my comment an apology to those who may see things differently or dislike it. No need to jump all over me for not seeing things the way you see them. What I actually said was I really dislike tattoos, apologies for those of you who are inked. You only quoted the first half of the sentence, which changed the tone of my comment from an expression of my opinion that acknowledges the feelings of others to harsh criticism.

I am fascinated by these tattoos related to books, although just having the book on my bookshelf would be good enough for me.

I suppose if forced to have a literary quotation permanently embedded in my skin I'd have one from one of my all time favorite books .
    âÂÂEverybody dies ⦠The thing is, to have a life before we die.âÂÂ

Here is a link that might be useful: literary tattoos

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Dedtired, I didn't think it necessary to acknowledge your apology because everyone here read it and my comment had nothing to do with your apology. However, since you brought it up - your apology was unnecessary because you preceded it with your opinion. I don't understand it when people immediately apologize for something they just said - as if that makes their opinion less hurtful (BTW, it wasn't hurtful to me at all).

Besides, it doesn't really matter. You gave your opinion on something you dislike and I did the exact same thing. What's the big deal?

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I was responding to your comments about me. When I gave my opinion I did not single out any particular person, as you did toward me. I dislike tattoos but you evidently don't like me to express my opinion. Sorry Dedtired, I really dislike your comment. That's the big deal.

Since we have both had our say, I am happy to let this discussion end.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Tattoos are controversial and have been counterculture in the past. So it's kind of expected that opinions will be mixed maybe even strong. Nevertheless, popular now or not, everyone doesn't have to like them and can wonder about them. They strike me as a bit rebellious, so not the type of thing where people's feelings would be hurt. ymmd Could be regional differences, too.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 14:23

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I think there are definitely regional differences. Where I`m locsted, body modification (tattoos and piercings) are common place and practically mainstream. Certainly under 40! And it seems that it`s women over 40 who are getting a first time tattoo more than men over 40.

I think some might be surprised at how many people have tattoos that are `hidden`.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I think there are definitely regional differences. Where I`m locsted, body modification (tattoos and piercings) are common place and practically mainstream. Certainly under 40! And it seems that it`s women over 40 who are getting a first time tattoo more than men over 40.

I think some might be surprised at how many people have tattoos that are `hidden`.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

While I think we will never know any real statistics, I tend to think that most people don't have tattoos and don't plan on getting one. They just aren't vocal or even internet addicted.

That said, I have no opinion other than if it makes you happy...
    At one time in the US culture, tattoos were a prominent sign of rebellion, and that, I did dislike. Now, it's no different than boot cut or skinny, get what you want.

Although, major facial tattoos are indeed a sign of uhmmm, something? Wild, crazy, imo.
    A butterfly on the ankle, nothing. The same as two holes in the ear...

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I live in the Austin area where tattoos and all manner of weirdness is not unusual. I also have several friends who are heavily (and I mean HEAVILY) inked. We all love to give and receive tattoo attention. I don't know of anyone who doesn't get a big 'ol smile when they are complimented on their ink.

However, if it's a back handed compliment or insincere these same people aren't likely to take it lying down. You know, due to their rebellious nature. ;-)

I have a friend who is an 8th grade English teacher, husband is a corporate IT professional. They have two adorable little girls. She looks like a sorority girl and he is reminiscent of George Clooney.

They both have full-body tats. His are from neck to wrists to ankles - he has to wear a suit to work. Hers are from chest to above elbow to above knee - she wears nothing shorter than 3/4 sleeve shirts and pants or skirts to work.

You just never know . . .

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"However, if it's a back handed compliment or insincere these same people aren't likely to take it lying down. You know, due to their rebellious nature. ;-) "

Well, when I complimented the girl's arm I did not give a backhanded compliment (however that could be) and I did find it interesting/pretty in its own way, although curious why she would want her arm tattooed. I was trying to like/understand it. She might have smiled, I don't remember, except she seemed a bit uncomfortable like it was a personal intrusion.

I saw a guy with pink hair today (same store). He looked freakish like he was making a statement, almost Halloweeny. It's a snooty area where nonconformity would get the stink eye plenty. Just as the "rich snooty demanding" patrons get from store staff around town. Not that he shouldn't do what he wants!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

There was always a way to rebel when one was at that age. I think though, that it's getting harder when there's so much more "anything goes" these days. It seems every time the rebels go to extremes, the extremes become more mainstream or at least familiar enough to no longer be shocking. Back when I was growing up, a rebel only needed to grow his hair long...the longer, the more rebellious. I recall what a todo was created when the "mop head" Beatles first came on the scene. I mean their hair was actually quite short and they wore suits and ties for goodness sake!

I'm not sure what kids will do next to rebel...I mean tats are common, pants can't go any lower...they even make suspenders to keep the pants from falling completely down, skirts and shorts have already been shorter than short, make-up has already gone totally goth with black eyes and lips, hair has already been every color of the rainbow and gelled to the sky, earlobes have been stretched, tongues have been split, genitalia have been pierced and ringed. I honestly don't know what's next.

I remember back in the hippy days, my FIL, a prof, who was very matter of fact with his students, would comment on their long hair and baggy bell bottoms and say, "You know, if you want to get attention, you don't have to go through all that effort....you could just walk around with your fly open."

(Please don't misinterpret...I'm not suggesting all tats are a statement of rebellion.)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I've been thinking the same thing recently. The Beatles music and long hair were so daring and evil!!! How crazy is that. I've also been noticing how times have changed while watching some old tv shows -- that we used to be able to talk and laugh at things. There were a lot of so-called politically incorrect things said back then! And people didn't seem to be taking them as insulting all or nothing statements. Oh what a time it was. I really miss it, lol.

Watching James Taylor and Carol King recently, wow. What a generation. So it got a little wild, lol, but I really admire all the folkies and how they responded to the times with a socially conscious movement. They are legendary, unlike today.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 12:44

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I was listening to something on NPR the other day about Bing Crosby. His "crooning" style was thought to be too sensual, in fact it was called degenerate and corrupt, and would probably bring down civilization as we know it. lol

I wonder if kids born today will reject tattoos because they are something that the "older" generation does. After all teens don't want to emulate their parents' style.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bing Crosby link

This post was edited by terriks on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 12:29

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Terriks~
    That reminds me of the women who was hell bent on NOT raising her child the way her mother had her...

Turns out she ended-up raising a child who was just like her mother....

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i would think that self expression will continue to change and soon enough tattoos will become less popular and 'cool' among the young, but who knows! i would think that as more and more older adults get tattoos, the younger generations will become significantly less interested in them!

i just hope that even more drastic ways of altering one's body doesn't become the rage of self expression, but i'm sure that there will always be a societal segment looking for ways to look different...
    ear gauges REALLY bother me, but that maybe is a sure sign that i am really old-fashioned, judgemental and uptight!!!

it seems that there are fewer facial piercings seen around here than there were maybe 5-7 yrs ago... i personally don't miss seeing so much of that...

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Oh gosh, I hear you on those huge ear gauges. Thry completely freak me out. Same with tongue piercing...shudder. i do see a lot less facial piercings now that you mention it. But an uptick in neck and facial tattoos, which I DO NOT like.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Huh....I never knew that's what you called them...ear gauges. As odd as they look to me, it looks even odder to see the lobe after without one in.

The problem with all this body modification is if it shows in business attire. I mean, you may not start out wanting a business career, but until we get some major generational or style shifts, you are essentially limiting your career if you have a body modification that can't be covered.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz