Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiki_thinking

What's your (workout) jam?

kiki_thinking
9 years ago

I've been working out a lot to deal with some excessive stress and am wearing out my workout playlists..

My tastes may not be everyone's but looking for high-energy music - would love to have some suggestions!

Some ones that have been on high rotation on my list:
Come With Me Now (Kongos)... Catchy.
Paper Planes (MIA) ... Good rhythm for run.
Dog Days Are Over (florence and the machine) ... Catchy and upbeat, gets faster at the end.
Work b*tch(britney spears) vulgar but it ups my calorie burn significantly.
Little less conversation(elvis remix jxl)
Good Feeling (flo rida)

Comments (13)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Wow! Hit me in the face with a generation gap! I don't know a single one of those songs. I've heard of Britney Spears but not of anyone else.

Time to go sit in the rockin' chair and carp about you young whippersnappers!
    :0

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I just use my SiriusXM app on my phone: I listen to Rockbar, Ozzy's Boneyard, Lithium (90's alternative), and First Wave (80's alternative). Occasionally Classic Rewind or Underground Garage.

The only way I hear any type of new music is if I go to Spin class or Zumba, but that's not music I'd listen to on my own. I guess a lot of it is on Sirius Hits1, but I never listen to that channel since I dislike most new music.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I sampled your songs and bought 2 of them for my workout playlist, thanks for that !

I sometimes get bored with my playlist,which comprises mostly of popular current hits, or songs that remind me of happy moments such as the fun dance portion of DD's wedding last august.

I take notes when I watch the Voice if a tune appeals to me.

I love ITunes for sampling new songs, so easy .

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, there is a bit of a generation gap, but I do like Flo and the Machine! Here are some of my faves for jogging or workouts:

Motivation, Sheryl Crow
    Run Like Hexx, Pink Floyd
    Stand Back, Stevie Nicks
    Wheel in the sky, Journey
    Running on Empty
    Eminence Front, The Who
    Playing with the Boys, Kenny Loggins
    Danger Zone, Kenny Loggins
    Sober, Pink and some others by Pink
    6th Ave Hearthache, The Wallflowers

I have lots more on my iPod if anyone is interested.

• kiki_thinking
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shouldnt be much of a generation gap, i'm mid 40ish ( but my daughter is in elementary school so a lot of my mom friends are younger)

And i'm not picky about the era of the music, i just want music that motivates me to push myself when i work out..

Just remember, if you can't be young, you can always be immature, ; )

I appreciate the suggestions on where to find new songs!
    Outside playing.. Just watched top gun for the first time in years.. Danger zone has been stuck in my head. Thanks for the other songs, i added some to my list.
    Mitch desj - easy to cut and paste one of my playlists: hope you find more that you like..
    Thanks for the ideas, gsciencechick!

Note: some of these songs have impolite language. Quite.

Are you gonna be my girl - jet
    Aint no rest for the wicked - cage the elephant
    That's not my name - the ting-tings
    Bohemian like you -- dandy warhols (funny and catchy)
    Cobrastyle -- teddybears
    Uncontrollable urge -- devo
    Safety dance - men without hats
    Safety dance - asteroid galaxy tour
    Fire woman - the cult
    Radioactive - imagine dragons
    Tick tick boom - the hives
    Flower - moby
    Paradise City - guns n roses
    Fell in love with a girl - white stripes
    Real wild child - iggy pop
    I love it -- icona pop
    10:10 -- the beautiful girls
    Beat my guest -- adam and the ants
    Rumble - link wray

And cooldown cardio songs, a little more chill..
    Rivers of babylon -- sublime
    Mysterious ways -- u2
    Denial twist -- white stripes
    Soul singing -- black crowes
    Wagon wheel -- old crow medicine show
    Cape cod kwassa kwassa -- vampire weekend
    El paso -- the gourds
    Fidelity - regina spektor
    Santeria - sublime

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

thanks for more suggestions, I'll look those up !!

I'm immature for sure, lol !!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I'm not young, but I can certainly be immature. I get a lot of my ipod tunes from Sirius. Jot them down when I hear them. Thanks for the new suggestions, kiki, and great thread too, especially with the fitness thread going on right now too. I have a couple of those you just posted but there are some new ones I'll try!

BTW, if you have an iphone, there is an app called 'Sound Hound' (a lot like Shazam) that will download a song off the radio or satellite radio. If you like it enough to download it, you can then enter your apple ID and download it from itunes. I use it all the time now for new downloads.

• User
    9 years ago

I am going on 61 and have never been anything resembling an exercise junkie but a few years ago I started zumba. I adore it and I highly suggest listening to some of their play lists. It has exposed me to lots of newer stuff that I would never have heard before and especially the latin music. I adore it all. Some of the instructors have give us some cds which I love to listen to in the car. I can try to get the names of some which re probably quite well known. (just not by me)
    Danza Kudura is a classic.
    Limbo - by Daddy yankee. is super wonderful.
    and lots by Pit Bull. but do not know the name.

• kiki_thinking
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I use spotify. Im a big fan. It's similar to pandora but more flexible and more specific.

You can use the free version on your pc, but i pay $5 / month subscription charge to have it on my mobile phone.

I can look up a song, listen to it, and if i like it i can instantly add the song or the album to my playlist. No limits. As long as i have wifi/satellite on my phone i can access all my music.
    Most music is on there, except the beatles.

• kiki_thinking
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you sheila for the zunba playlists and songs, will def check them out.

• kellienoelle
    9 years ago

Oh, if you aren't offended by lyrics, I have a whole slew of inappropriate songs with good beats for you! I also am on Spotify and really love it. One thing that I love about it is that you can also collaborate with friends to make a playlist. We've worked on bachelorette parties, girls trips, barbecues. It's fun.

Now, I will provide a few songs but keep in mind that the lyrics are in no way a reflection of my personal beliefs (ha), just nice driving beats to keep a run going. But I'll star the ones to avoid if you don't want to be offended:

Everybody Talk - Neon Trees
    Lonely Boy or Howling for You - Black Keys
    Electric Feel - MGMT
    This Head I Hold - Electric Guest
    So What'Cha Want - Beastie Boys
    Get Lucky - Daft Punk
    Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand
    That's Not my Name - Ting Tings
    Boom Boom Pow - The Black Eyed Peas
    Heartless - Kanye West
    SexyBack - Justin Timberlake
    Hey Ya - OutKast
    Toxic - Britney Spears
    *Clique - Kanye West
    *Milkshake - Kelis
    Bad Romance - Lady Gaga
    Ignition Remix - R Kelly
    *Lapdance - N.E.R.D
    California Love - 2Pac
    Drop it Like Its Hot - Snoop Dog
    Gold Digger - Kanye West
    Hot in Heere - Nelly
    Pump It - Black Eyed Peas
    *WTP - Eminem
    The Way You Move - OutKast
    Hot-n-Fun - N.E.R.D
    Poker Face - Lady Gaga

OK I'll stop there...

• kellienoelle
    9 years ago

Sorry - double post!

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 12:45

• kiki_thinking
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks kellienoelle!! Great list! some of these are just what i'm looking for..
    Yes, a lot of workout music is kinda visceral, and i'm not offended by lyrics usually, but i also don't feel like it reflects my identity or views : )