Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

carpal tunnel surgery -- what are your best recs?

mahatmacat1
12 years ago

Hi folks,

Well, after years of irritation and sleepless nights and increasing pain (and all verified by a nerve conduction study on both hands), I'm finally biting the bullet and going for the surgery. I'll need it in both hands. What are your best tips for this whole process? What are the reasons *you* believe that one should choose endoscopic vs. open? Any tips on recovery? Any tips on anything I'm not even aware of? : )

Thanks very much. I really hope this goes well and doesn't cause complications, and I'd like to go in as educated as I can. I appreciate any help or good links immensely.

Comments (51)

• allison0704
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm sorry you've had problems and are requiring surgery. My wrist used to bother me more - when I gardened more. Moving to a lower maintenance property helped. I haven't researched carpal tunnel surgery, but I would have to think endoscopic surgery would be the best. It is for other surgeries. Less invasive, less down time, faster to heal.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck!

• upa_lazy_river
    12 years ago

I had open surgery several years ago on my right hand. My doc recommended wearing a tight glove with a gel pad that I was to rub several times a day to minimize scar tissue. you can barely see where the stiches were. This worked great, have no other problems. Good luck!

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your responses! emagineer, good to hear that you still think it was a good idea to get the surgery. I'm there, dropping things and up at night having to change position and wait for my hand to stop hurting to get back to sleep...not good. And evidently if I don't treat it, it will only get worse. So we're in for it.

I'm tending toward endoscopic just instinctively, although I have leads on two local good hand surgeons and I'll see what each of them does. I'm a very hand-focused person (comes from years of piano, probably) and "upa", it helps to hear that you have had no problems with your hand after the open surgery. And thanks for the tip on healing; I'll ask about the gel pad if I go with open-I tend to make yucky scar tissue so avoiding it on somewhere so obvious is important to me, I'm not too vain to admit.

Off to make appointments.

• breenthumb
    12 years ago

I had the surgery last May. Got there at 7AM home before 10, slept the rest of day with arm propped up on a piece of foam. They used the same sedation used for a colonoscopy. They also sent me home with a prescription for Tylenol w/codine but I only took one when I got home and one the next AM just to stay ahead of any pain. Didn't need any more so didn't take it.

Big fat bandage over base of wrist but most of hand was free and usable. Appt. 7-10 days later to remove bandages and stitches by his PA. Could barely see the incision. And then the final check up by Dr. a short while later.

I had it bad in both hands too. Wearing wrist braces at night helped stop waking up with my hands and arm on fire but did nothing for strength. I was dropping things and couldn't open anything. We started with surgery on right hand and put the left one off because of other problems at the time and it just got better. So much for nerve conduction tests--or maybe the condition changed.

• breenthumb
    12 years ago

Sorry, I refined that a little but then got snafu'd by GW when I hit submit and it went back to rough copy. Anyway, things have vastly improved over the years (my SIL had the operation 15-20 years ago and was in hospital overnight)and things should go well for you.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

breenthumb, thanks for sharing your experience with the surgery. GREAT to hear about the low pain level post-op, and how fast you healed!

Side note: that kind of anaesthesia always makes me wonder/worry about what I said while I was under -- I tend to start up comedy commentary or try to make friends with everyone in the room -- I was told that the first time I had it (back in 1983) I invited the entire nursing staff to a party at my house because I loved them so much...Hope they can keep me lying down while they work on my hand! maybe they'll have to knock me out all the way so they can concentrate...that whole 'Wesley Snipes' plot line on 30 Rock was completely understandable to me : )

And it turns out the most prestigious (by far) hand surgery doc in town does open only; he gets great reviews for his work...

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Hi. Oh my gosh, I am having this same surgery next Tuesday, 6-21. I posted a similar thread over on the Cooking Forum and someone pointed out this thread to me. My CTS really flared up in March and got to be incredibly painful. I was sleeping with a splint for six weeks and that did help some.

I had my nerve study test last week. That was weird and a little painful. I am so looking forward to having this resolved. Even as I am typing this, the middle ring and pinkie fingers on my right hand are numb and painful, along with the palm. Sometimes are worse than others.

I also wonder what I say under anesthesia. I know I had a dream during my colonoscopy, but I don't know if I said anything. Those docs and nurses must get a few laughs every day.

I just can't wait to have this done. Mine will be open. I was told to expect to be at the surgi-center for three hours and I'll be going home with a splint. However, there are no restrictions on my activities.

I'm glad to read about these good outcomes. Others I have spoken to also reproted that they were happy with it.

My doctor looks like he is 12, but he is well trained and has done many of these procedures. I hope he's a whiz-kid.

Good luck, Flyleft. We'll have to compare notes.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ded, good luck! I wish I could have mine happen as fast. How long ago did you book it? Now that I've committed to doing it, I want it done *now*! August is a long way away. And I really then won't be able to have it until September, as DH pointed out -- we have our only trip of the summer scheduled for Labor Day Weekend, and I don't want any chance of infection out in eastern Oregon...*unless* I can get myself scheduled early enough that it will be healed by Labor Day. I missed them today -- will try tomorrow.

Interesting that you have pinkie finger pain -- mine has been only in the wrist and thumb/first two fingers. We have only one finger overlapping. I never even knew it could hurt the outside fingers.

I'll be thinking of you and Doogie : ) Wonder if they'll suggest the gel pad...please let me know what happens!

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Hi Flyleft! I have no experience or recommendations regarding CTS, but want to send my good wishes along as you wait for your surgery.

It sounds like many suffer from this and have had, or are planning to have, the procedure! Those who have had it sound quite positive.

September will be here before you know it! Enjoy your trip in the mean time. I am sorry that you have been dealing with discomfort in your hands to such an extent. It's great to learn there is a treatment that really helps!

Let us know when you are scheduled for it!

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Flyleft, I was wrong about which fingers hurt -- it's the middle, pointer and thumb, plus the palm. I swear all this pain is affecting my brain, too. The pinkie doesn't hurt at all and the ring finger only hurts on one side!

I scheduled surgery only a week in advance. My doctor (Doogie - LOL) is new to the practice and I guess he is not as booked up. If he had said I had to wait until August, I would have gone looking for another doctor who could do it sooner. I have reached the end of my rope with this constant pain.

I went for my pre-op tests yesterday and had blood drawn this morning, so if the blood work is okay, I am good to go. I hope I am the first patient of the day so I can look forward to being rid of this.

Two friends who have had the surgery showed me their scars and I could barely see them. They are hidden in the crease of the hand. A small scar is a fair price to pay to feel better.

I will definitely give you updates as I go along. You can always email me through Gardenweb with anything specific.

I gave up on the splint at night. I make a fist and wrap it firmly but not tight in an elastic bandage at night and that helps a lot during the night.

Breen, your comments are very helpful and encouraging. Thanks for adding that.

This has been the year of the doctor for me! I also found out I have a cataract and that will have to come off next fall. In the meantime, I've gotten shin splints in one leg from standing in too-high heels at a cocktail party. I am a mess! At least it's all stuff that will eventually go away, so I can't complain (but I do!).

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Dedtired, I'm sorry you've had so many "doctorial" needs of late, but glad to hear they can all be addressed. Remember, you can retreat to that gorgeous, remodeled bathroom of yours for a spa-like experience after your procedures. Ahhh, Calgon, take Dedtired's aches and pains away!

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

Oops, way long. Forgive me, in a hurry but went into detail. Don't want you to be scared like I was.

I had both hands done in 1996. At a teaching hospital in Chicago. I always urge a teaching/university hospital for a couple reasons. IME they tend to have more state of the art equipment than even our local suburban hospitals (which aren't that far away) -and- MDs with most up to date education and training. That doesn't mean local is bad, but after my own surgeries & dealing with very ill parents, in both their respective scenarios, teaching hospitals were able to offer successful (and in the case of my mother life-saving) treatments where local hospitals said "can't be done". Extreme example, but it's the best illustration I have.

I was given a couple names at a specific hospital from a different MD I knew that worked there. I read bios and chose one whose education & training impressed me, called, and got an appointment for a consult. Easy. Liked him a lot, he gave me plenty of time at my appt, so went with him. I didn't learn till during surgery -I was awake- he had repaired an injury on one of the Chicago Bulls players. So I felt even more fortunate. ;) He initially offered shots, I want to say something to reduce inflammation. But my hands were getting bad. I was already taking B6, sleeping with splints on, and it wasn't helping. Could barely write well, constantly dropping things, burning my hand reaching in the oven. So I said I wanted to just go ahead and get it done. When my local family MD saw my progress, and no scar nor scar tissue issues, he started referring patients to the same surgeon.

Here's how mine went. One hand done and recovered, then about 8 weeks later the other hand done. (Do not recommend doing both hands at the same time. I've heard some people ask, some doctors comply. But you'd be helpless in those early weeks.) During the first week or so, you might need a little help showering & dressing, just till you get used to doing things with one hand. (Bandaged hand has to be covered in plastic in bath, not allowed to get wet.)

I was awake during my surgery. The thought terrified me until the doctor explained that a large cuff (like B.P. cuff) would be put on my upper arm which stopped the blood flow to my hand. And I would be given an IV 'cocktail' assuring me I would not only not feel a thing, I wouldn't remember it either. (Yeah, sure.) And that's how it went. The primary Rx was Versed, they give you that stuff, you don't give a rip what comes next. ;) I was awake for what amounted to about 60-90 minutes total time, prep to completion (could see the clock in OR). But I can only recall maybe 5 or 10 minutes of the whole deal. Here's what I remember: I was being prepped, got the IV. There was a tent in front of me, so I could see where team was but not what was going on. Surgeon was sitting next to my hand, which was outstretched & resting on a table. I felt a bit of a stinging burn. I point blank asked the surgeon "Did you just cut my hand?" and told him I felt a burn. Silently & swiftly the anesthesia RN shot another cocktail dose into the IV while surgeon said "Moonshadow, you didn't feel anything..." But...but... And in a blink the booster cocktail dose kicked in. It was then I didn't give a rip, lol. I was enjoying that buzz ;) The only other part I remember is the surgeon chatting about the Bull's team member. I remember asking him one question, his response, and next thing I remember, the clock said an hour had gone by and it was over! Wasn't in recovery long. Got dressed, got my pain meds, was driven home.

I will say, based on what I was told, a huge chunk of success or further problems rests with the patient, and how well they follow post-op orders and do the occupational therapy. When they told me the splint needed to come off after a week or 10 days max (I forget), the splint came off. Went to a wrap bandage from palm to mid-forearm area. Then I started the round of therapy. (About 2 x week for several weeks as I recall.) I was given home exercises and did them religiously. When they no longer felt challenging, I pushed and did more. Bending, flexing, squeezing this silly putty stuff. If I felt no pain, I used my hand or did more exercises. If I felt pain or a lot of hand fatigue, I listened to my body and stopped. I was put in a university study (voluntarily). My OT told me my progress was sailing, and once in a blue moon she sees patients that improve so well so quickly. She asked what I was doing at home. I told her what I wrote above, religiously doing the exercises, using my hand as I was able, not babying myself. She told me how critically important it was to keep that mobility going, it prevents scar tissue from forming. (I've had zero issues with scar tissue to this day.) I do know 2 relatives who had to have repeat surgery later due to scar tissue. So do those exercises! OT also told me a lot of patients want to stall their own progress. She had patients who didn't want to exercise at home, only in therapy sessions. Wanted to wear splint longer than they should have, etc. She told me about an unnamed patient who refused to remove the splint, protesting it was too soon, her hand was sore. (Yeah, there's some soreness, but it's not terrible at all. The CT pain before surgery is worse.) So that patient's hand was immobilized at home for weeks longer than it should have been and the therapy progress wasn't really going anywhere. (Could hear a little frustration in OT's voice.)

To this day I'm 98% OK. Once in a great while I'll feel hand fatigue and that old familiar ache, but it's because I've put in far too many straight hours typing at PC. And tho I've tried for ergonomically correct, my hand position could be a bit lower. That's the only time I've felt pain. So I back off for a day or so and I'm fine. Also, if you tend to be a hand curler at night, tucking them so your wrist folds downward, break that habit any way you can. (If you haven't been given splints, get some, they keep your wrist from flexing at night.) It ends up pinching the tendon for hours when wrist is bent down like that. Post-op, when splints weren't needed any more, I put mine together in 'praying' position and made every attempt to fall asleep like that. Doesn't take long to become habit. Also, you'll probably be prescribed B6 (doesn't stay in system like some vitamins). If not, take it anyway. 50mg per day for nerve health.

I promise it's not horrible, and you'll be so glad you did it! :)

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Moonshadow, thanks so much for taking the time to write all of that. It's very helpful and very encouraging. One of my friends told me to be ready to be doing a lot of hand exercises, so I'm prepared for that. I promise to follow instructions to the letter and do my exercises!

I just had my pre-op tests and the nurse advised me to add B6 to my vitamin regimen.

I notice that I do curl my hands when I sleep, so I'll try your suggestion.

Again, many thanks.

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

dedtired, you're welcome. I know how it feels, you want the pain to stop already but dread the unknown at the same time. Hands curling at night were a huge problem & source of pain for me pre-op. I don't know if it was psychological or what, but I was so focused on telling myself as I lay in bed that my hands must not flex during the night, it worked. (Those pre-op splints help, but bugged me like crazy. My post-op splint was a tiny piece inserted over bandage and under the wrap, as I recall. Much more comfortable!)

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

moon, what you wrote is *invaluable*. Thank you so much. I love "Moonshadow, you didn't feel anything..." Funny but creepy at the same time. Hope you didn't ask them all out for a drink after the surgery : )

I totally find myself clenching my hands at night. I have to wake up and flex them and smooth them. The problem now also is that if I use one of the splints I have, I inevitably find it (or them, depending if I've put two on) on the floor in the morning. I have no memory of having ripped them off. Kind of like if you wear socks to bed-- somehow they end up on the floor and you have no idea how they got there. Or maybe that's just me...

I do feel stoic for waiting until August...in fact, I told my doctor about it *last* year at my physical, and he said "you've probably got a bit of carpal tunnel"...and moved on to the next topic. Lovely. At least this year he asked me about it and referred me to the nerve conduction. I get the feeling he doesn't believe anything I say, and was hoping the study would prove I was exaggerating. He sounded positively surprised when he called me with the results (which I already knew, as the doctor who did them was very friendly and informative).

I don't think he has much respect for people who "claim" they have fibromyalgia. But at least he doesn't try to shame me out of taking the meds that have helped me live life for the last 9.5 years...but I digress.

I think I'll actually put the surgery off until early September; that way our vacation will be over and DD will be in school, and my ESOL won't have started yet, so I can recover in those first couple of weeks. And I'll have plenty of time to hear all the details about your victorious recovery, ded : )

• dedtired
    12 years ago

I definitely will be reporting back. I am counting the days. Hopefully my fingers won't be hurting by Tuesday evening, although I'll have the incision.

I was uncomfortable last night and I do think I can feel it starting in my other hand. I kept trying to keep it straight during the night. Maybe I'll buy a splint for that hand to ward it off.

I could never put up with this until September. It makes me crazy.

Right now I have excellent insurance through COBRA, but that ends as of 12/31. Then I have to muddle through four months until I qualify for Medicare. I doubt I will be able to get good insurance for those four months, so whatever falls apart during those months will just have to wait!

Aaaargh. I remember all those years that I never needed or went to a doctor. Now it seems like it's all I do, and I don't like it.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hear you, ded! Man, I'm feeling like an old car, and not a reliable one. In the shop constantly.

Our insurance has been creeping up in deductibles/copays/whatever other category they can call "we don't pay it"...such things have eaten up too much of any raises DH has gotten. That's why I've resisted having the surgery for so long -- it gets me angry to pay the extortionists, but it's just gotten to the point that I can't ignore it anymore. I always thought COBRA was such an unfortunate acronym -- they sure do want to squeeze all the money out of you they can. But at least you're covered, such as it is. Thank goodness you're that close to Medicare!

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

You are more than welcome, fly. :)

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Flyleft, I am very grateful for my COBRA coverage, for sure. When my job was eliminated (I hated my job, so it wasn't that sad), it was during a time when there was a program that reduced COBRA payments. I only pay one-third and my former employer pays two-thirds. The former employer gets a tax deduction, so it's not all bad for them, not that I care. My coverage is excellent, the same as what I had when I worked for the hospital system, and even includes dental.

Anyway, I got a letter from my doc's office saying that my responsibility for the procedure will be $550. I've also paid about $80 in co-pays for office visits, so far. Frankly I am happy to pay that amount to be rid of the pain.

I am looking forward to Tuesday, but I'm getting nervous, too. I just want it to be over. Hope your hand isn't hurting too much today. Mine has developed a new symptom - it itches all the time. When your nerves go kerflooey, you sure can get strange symptoms!

• linda1949
    12 years ago

My 97 year old mother had this surgery when she turned 90!! On both wrists at different times. She says it was the best decision and has hasn't had any problems since.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Linda, wow. THAT is encouraging!

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, Linda. Do you happen to remember whether it was open or endoscopic?

And ded, is that $550 per hand or for both? Or are you only having the right hand done?

• upa_lazy_river
    12 years ago

I might add, flyleft, that I had my hand bandaged for 7 days, I believe, before the stiches came out and they put the glove on my hand with the gel insert. I also was awake for the surgery, although I had somekind of anesthetic. I chose to be awake. And they cuffed me too as an other poster stated. Aren't you in Oregon? I had my surgery in Salem by a Dr. Fogelsong.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Love the internet : )

Here is a link that might be useful: fishing,hm? I bet his casts are very precise : )

• dedtired
    12 years ago

It is $550 for one hand. I'm only having the right hand done. I just heard from the doctor's office. So far they have said that I will have to keep the dressing dry, my hand elevated, only use the exposed fingers, no heavy lifting and go back in two weeks for follow up. Maybe I'll be getting more info tomorrow. My son will have to be the one to listen since I will either be nervous or have post-procedure dopiness.

My doctor likes to play the drums in his garage, according to his bio on the web. Hope he doesn't get carpal tunnel syndrome.(ha ha, precise casts).

Now I am off to the drugstore to buy something to keep my bandage dry in the shower. Ugh. I just want this to be over and to be all healed. Soon, I hope.

• linda1949
    12 years ago

I believe my mom's surgery was endoscopic. I didn't live near her then and saw her a few weeks after surgery. I don't recall stitches or even a scar now. I just remember being very freaked out due to her age but she insisted she wanted it done. Her hands were always numb before surgery and now that she is having numerous health issues her wrists are about the only things she doesn't complain about :) I do know that her doctor would definitely not due the surgery today given her heart problems. Seven years ago she was amazingly healthy.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hm...heart problems? I've had a MI before (2008), but no real complications since then, no stent or anything, but do have high blood pressure...may I ask, linda, how that compares to your mom's situation? Endoscopic sounds so much less traumatic to recover from. I remember recovery time from some laparascopic surgery (OB related) was practically non-existent. I may ask around to find if there's anyone doing endoscopic in PDX, while also keeping the appt with the highly-rated person.

ded, I am actually excited for you! Can you believe all that pain and numbness and itching will be *over*?! I just hope that when my turn comes, they make the hand bandages big and clumsy enough that I don't try to use it before I'm awake enough to know what I'm doing, ykwim? I'll be awaiting your updates as you can type them (one-handed typing will be just fine : ))

• dedtired
    12 years ago

hi. just a quick note. i am typing w. my left hand. all went well. big bandgae on my right hand. i still have tingling in my fingers. doc says it will take awhile for that to go away. so far i can control the pain with tylenol - not so bad.

it's still too soon to make any judgments. i will be happy for 2 week checkup to get rid of the stitches and bandage. glad it is over!

• linda1949
    12 years ago

My mom's heart condition is extremely bad. She asked the doctor recently what to expect and he told her that her heart is 'very tired and struggling for each beat'. Her mind is amazing though. I talk to her every day and when she answers she will say "I'm still here, can you believe it?". Tomorrow the nursing home is taking her to an eye appointment. She said she is going to ask them to stop at Taco Bell and buy her a taco salad on the way back. She even got the doctor to approve a small glass of wine every night before dinner so we make sure she always has some on hand. That and a handful of Pringles. Guess this is more info than you requested but I admire her spunk.

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

dedtired, I meant to wish you well & the days got away from me. Glad to hear your procedure went well. Yes, agree, far to soon to make any judgments, for now rest and heal. :)

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

SO glad to hear from you, ded--thanks for taking the trouble to type left-handed! Must have been a bit disappointing to still feel the tingling after the surgery. Hope it goes away fast--please let me know.

-----------------------------------------------

ARGH! I had this on my desktop all day and night! My stupid memory. I get up for a second and everything goes right out of my head. Sorry for the delay! Hope you're feeling better already.

----------------------------------------
    O.K., this is really evidence of some encroaching problem...I just now see that I left it in "preview message" all day yesterday when something came up and I was called away.

Do they do brain tunnel release? *sigh*

Hope the pain has stopped by now!

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Flyleft -- brain release. Funny I could use that, too. Each day is a little better. The tingling in my thumb and pointer finger is reduced. The middle finger is still very tingly.

The bandage is driving me nuts. I keep unwrapping it as far as I dare to give my skin a chance to breathe. It is an Ace bandage over a big pile of gauze. When I peek under it I can see that my palm is very bruised. I bruise easily anyway.

I go back to the doc on 7/7. I have a feeling I will have peeled off the bandage by then, although I will try to resist.

Thank you all for your well wishes. This is really minor stuff when I hear of the challenges faced by others. Linda, your mom sounds like mine. She is 93 and very spunky!

Here is my bandaged hand!

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

first: Linda, I had my message open so long I missed your post. Thank you for sharing your mom's situation. With her attitude, she sounds like that heart is going to win every beat as long as it possibly can (and probably longer than anyone believes it could!). What an inspiration she is.

ded, your mom, too, sounds great. I often think that my mom got diagnosed w/Parkinsons at age 59, and probably had it for several years before, and her life just deteriorated til she passed at 69...I'm 51 in September...I can't escape her image, but I cherish other images in my head, like your mom and Linda's mom, whose paths would allow me to be around for DD's kids. We can never know--although now I know that folks in their 90s are incredibly special just because they're here!

Interesting that you're not even supposed to change the bandage until 7/7? I wouldn't have expected that. Showering and such are probably a bother, I imagine. Is that your dominant hand?

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Yes, I'm right handed. I put a small trash bag over it when showering, held shut with a rubber band. Nuisance, but doable. I bought a brush with a long handle to wash dishes.

Here's a tip. When you go for your surgery, wear pants with an elastic waist, like yoga pants. There's no way I could have zipped or buttoned. Also, slip-on shoes. I still can't tie my sneaks.

The bandage is already starting to get dirty. It will be pretty funky by 7/7. I may have to ask them to change it before then, or do it myself. I blow the hair dryer(on cool) down it. Too bad it is hot summer weather, since I do perspire under there.

So sorry you lost your mom when she was young. All my friends who have lost their Moms miss them terribly.

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

What a familiar sight, dedtired. :)

Am trying to remember, I could have sworn I was changing my own bandange. But I think it must have been after the stitches...all I remember is going down to a shorter bandage for a bit, and having that gel pad thingy underneath, positioned over the incision site on my palm. Think I remember cutting new pieces of gel, too? Pretty sure DH had to help me wrap my left hand. Actually he probably had to help wrap both. (I'm actually left handed for what I guess would be called fine motor skills...? Like writing, holding utensils, shooting. Oh and tossing a frisbee. Most everything else, batting, throwing a ball, bowling etc. is right-handed. My wires are crossed.)

Which leads me to: Do they do brain tunnel release? *sigh*
    ROFL! Sign me up!! :o

• natal
    12 years ago

Good to hear things are going well!

You should be able to change the Ace. Dh has been wearing an Unna boot for the past month. He gets it changed twice a week and then re-wrapped with a fresh Ace. Don't know how many times his plastic bag-wrapped leg has gotten wet in the shower and he has to remove the Ace and re-wrap with a dry one.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Elastic-waist pants and slip-on shoes -- will do. Thank you so much for the tips. Hope you've learned (or will learn today) from the docs what you can do about changing your bandage.

I also found that the local med school teaching hospital folks do endoscopic, so I have an appointment set up with them now as well, for mid-July. That doctor (a professor) is also very well thought-of. I'll be able to compare the presentations and costs, although not until mid August, when I have my open-procedure appt. If anyone's interested, I'll report my experiences in both appts.

moonshadow, your description of your ambidextrousness is really fascinating--you've got the best of both worlds, both brain sides developed to a high extent. I bet you're an interesting, rare mix of creativity and precision.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Moon, I'm the same way. I write with right hand, bat and other things with left. One of my son's inherited it too which was fun to watch during his high school baseball days. Especially since he was a right handed pitcher, and a left handed batter!

Funny thing is, my dh only noticed mine a couple of years ago and was in awe. lol I guess it was no big deal to me.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ded, how are you doing? Are you able to clean/change your bandages? I've been thinking of you and hoping you're recovering well.

My first appointment (for the endoscopic method) is on the 12th...

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Hi and thanks for asking and good thoughts. The bandage comes off and the stitches come out on Thursday morning and I can't wait. Both are driving me nuts. I have unwrapped the Ace bandage and taken it off several times, mostly to let the hand cool off. There are several layers of gauze under the Ace, but I can't take that off!

One day I did some left-handed gardening (deadheading the rhodies), but the right hand got involved and was sore and swollen the next day.

I can peek down into the bandage and see the incision and stitches. Not pretty, but it does look like it is healing.

It's funny but I am already starting to forget what my symptoms were prior to surgery. The one I remember most (and don't miss!) is that my hand would get freezing cold. I'd have to wrap it in an electric heating pad to get it warm.

My pointing finger feels almost normal (no tingle), the thumb is a little tingly but the middle finger still bothers me. The doc said it would take awhile for that feeling to go away.

So if you have an appointment on the 12th, will you have your procedure sooner rather than wait until Sept? I imagine you will need a good three weeks for your hand to heal, unless the endo heals more quickly. Let me know how the appt goes. Take care.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ach, in the heat I can just imagine the discomfort. Guess the gardening experience taught you just how far you can take it even when the left hand is dominant. Are you driving?

Wow, I've never had my hand get that cold...dead asleep and achy, but not cold. That sounds like *blood* cutoff, not just a nerve. Good to hear that that has abated too.

And I don't know about when to schedule surgery, although I think Sept. will be the best time no matter what, given our summer schedule and the small break between early sept. and late when my teaching starts back up again. I'll let you know about what they say in the appt.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Hi. Yes, I am driving and have been right from the start. My car is a stick shift and I have been able to do that, no problem. I did have to release the hand brake with my left hand, but can do it with my right now. Both of my hands feel swollen and achy this morning, I don't know why. I am looking forward to driving to the doctor tomorrow and getting rid of all of it. 21.5 hours to go, not that I am counting.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ha :) Good luck at the doc -- hope your left hand stops hurting--could it be from favoring the right and doing too much with the left? just a WAG...?

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ded, hope you're feeling better now...How was the appointment? You got the sutures out? How long was your incision?

I had my appt today with the person I thought did endoscopic, but it turns out he doesn't, he does a mini-open (about a 1" cut in the lower middle of the palm). I'm supposed to keep the dressing dry for 4 days, but then after can change it, just not submerge it, etc. The followup to remove sutures is after 10 days.

Did you have pain going up to your elbow if you lifted your arm in front of you? Is whatever pain you had going away now?

Sorry for so many questions. Now that I have something substantial to compare to, I'm very curious about the details : )

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Hi flyleft, I am just catching up with this now.

My incision was about an inch, maybe a bit more. I had the stitches out last week (16 days after surgery). It was a relief to be rid of them. Also, having my hand bandaged all that time was very bothersome. I unwrapped the ace bandage to let my hand kind of cool off. I was constantly sticking my fingers under the bandages to let my hand breathe and to give it a mini-massage. I fished out a revolting piece of gauze that was bothering me (sorry, hope that's not tmi).I was so glad when he cut off the bandages.

After that, he covered the incision with tape, and said it was okay to get it wet. Of course, after three days of showering, it came off. After that, I covered it with big bandaids. Now I don't cover it at all. I was also told not to put any pressure on the incision.

It was all scabby, but that is gone now, too.

It's been healing well, but I am impatient to have a normal functioning hand again. The incision still hurts and certain movements are painful. The only way to tell what that might be is when I feel that zing of pain. Nothing unbearable at all. It seems to mainly involve anything that requires the use of muscles in my palm.

Yesterday I got out in the garden and kind of overdid it, so today my hand feels stiff and sore.

Most of the painful tingling is gone from my thumb and pointer, but the middle finger still tingles. I no longer have the painful numbness or freezing cold sensation.

No, I didn't have the pain you describe going up to my elbow. I did have horrible pain, tingling and numbness in my arm, but wearing the brace at night helped that even before the surgery. The worst pain was in my hand and wrist.

It's been 3.5 weeks from my surgery, so I would allow 4 - 5 weeks to feel close to recovery. I am doing pretty well now as long as I don't overdo it. I was led to believe that this procedure was "nothing" -- a small inconvenience and it is more than that, but certainly not major surgery or recovery.

Here's a picture of my hand that I just took. I hope no one is offended by looking at my incision, but I don't think it looks too gross. I apologize to anyone who might think this is inappropriate. Hope this gives you an idea of what to expect. There is dry skin on either side of the cut. If you look closely, you can see that my palm is still bruised-looking.

Please ask me any questions at all. I was very glad for the info I got here.

Maybe I will live longer since the scar is on the life line of my palm, which makes the line longer!!

• dedtired
    12 years ago

I forgot to ask when you are having your procedure? I have read that open is somewhat better than endo because the surgeon is actually looking at the ligament, not through a camera. IDK. Keep me posted.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Argh - I just saw this -- thank you so much for your graphic : ) photo, ded! Looks like it's healing beautifully. It looks like you had the "mini-open" as opposed to the traditional open. That's what the first surgeon turned out to do, rather than endo. I read the same you did, and was also told the same, re endo vs. open. And I will definitely ask whoever does it to add years to my lifeline : )

May I ask a maybe touchy (as it were) question: how much was it before insurance? The first doc, affiliated with the local med school/teaching hospital, was 2/3 of what it cost me for **5** days in a hospital, including cardiac Intensive care back in 2008, but for a 5 minute operation, not going under completely! I was shocked. And I was told that's the minimum, by a rather officious admin who told me that if I wanted a specific price before going in, I'd have to wait a LONG time because emergency and non-insured people have priority getting estimates. I should just be grateful that I can have it done, and not question what I get charged, was the attitude I got from her. I understand that they have priority, but what is it at this massive dominant hospital -- they have one person slaving away adding charges up by hand in a dark corner somewhere? Bah.

I'm waiting on the second doc cost estimate (and the second doc, but he also is considered the top in my area) before I decide who will do it. We have insurance, but the first guy would have maxed out our maximum payout for this year. I can't believe that in this day and age, it's a shock to medical people that patients would want to know the charges ahead of time.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Hi. I just got the details of costs in the mail today. Thank God I have insurance.

The total bill for the surgery was $8,862. That includes the surgery center's cost. So far, I've paid $859 to the doctor ($550) and to the surgery center ($309), to meet my deductible. I also had a pre-op appt with my internist (ekg, blood work). I paid a $20 co-pay for that.

That office admin person needs an attitude adjustment. I don't think it's that hard to find out since everything is done via computer with the insurance company. My doctor's office certainly knew the total charge and what I would owe within a few days.

BTW, I live just outside of Philadelphia. I know location affects costs.

I went back for my one month follow up yesterday. The incision looks even better than in the pic above (I'll spare you another photo!). However, my hand is still pretty painful. I can bearly stand to press anything with my palm. I push the grocery cart with my left hand and my right elbow. I did a grip strength test and my left hand was 55 (lbs, I guess) and the right was only 20. I am still popping tylenol and icing it The physical therapist said my nerves are "on high alert" and that's why it hurts so much. She gave me exercises that I will do at home. The doc says it takes three months post-op for the pain to abate.

How is your pain level now? Can you last until after vacation? You certainly will not enjoy your vacation if it comes right after the procedure, with your hand bandaged and achy. Keep me posted as you move forward.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ded, those details help a lot. WOW, it sure is a lot more than $550! Your total is less expensive (by at least 1.2k) than what I was quoted, but it's still more than the 5K the whole ER/angiogram/5 days in hospital cost me "way back" in 2008 -- $5K. The admin person here said, proudly: "I don't know of one that's come in less than 10K". So your info really helps put it in perspective. It's amazing that this is more expensive than doing an angiogram on an emergency basis and two days in CIC plus 3 days in hosp. with several EKGs and blood tests.

I'm surprised and sorry to read that you're still hurting...sure hope they're right that the pain goes away within 3 mos. Am I correct in thinking that the pain is from surgery, and a different location and quality from the carpal tunnel pain before the surgery?

Right now, if I don't use my hand, it doesn't hurt, so I can wait, although typing counts as use. I'll be very curious to see what happens at the second appt (8/16). I'll also be thinking of you and hoping you don't have to wait three months to have full relief.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Hi. Most of my discomfort is from the surgery. It hurts like heck to put any pressure on the incision area. It's the incision and the area around it, and also my palm that hurts the most. Fingers get tired and achy sometimes and the middle finger still tingles. The OT said my nerves are on "red alert" after the surgery which is why is hurts so much. She gave me exercises and also said to lightly massage it to help the nerves calm down.

Sorry if I led you to believe I was only paying $550 total! That was the portion of the dr's bill that I had to pay out of pocket. Yes, the cost of health care is out of sight. I don't know who is getting rich, but it's not the hospitals. I used to work for one and they were having a hard time making ends meet, and it was an excellent hospital.

Will you have your procedure in a hospital or in a surgery center? Hospitals will cost more.

Again, keep me posted on your progress. I am interested to hear how it's going.