Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

Victoria BC...the beginning

User
11 years ago

The flight from Atlanta to Seattle and then to Victoria was uneventful. I had a Georgia Bockhoven book and read more than I have had time for in months . I had purchased a sandwich before I left and ate 1/2 on the plane.

I met my friend Pete, rode with him last year and the year before, in Seattle We arrived in Victoria and our hosts met us at the airport. We went to their home and settled in for a bit and then tackled the re-assembly of the bikes. Yikes ! Should have taken pics. Let's just say that if our host, Zach , hadn't helped me LOTS I wouldn't be going anywhere tomorrow.

We had a great dinner and wine and lots of talk. Our hostess rode around the world with Pete in 2003. They were gone 6 1/2 months. They have remained friends. I met Pete over the internet as did they. Adventure Cycling has a wonderful website and one area on it is, Companions Wanted. It is a great way to meet folks that want to travel by bike to different regions of the world.

I slept great last night. Today we went to MEC , an outdoor store like REI in the US. We also visited 2 other bike shops. We rode all over Victoria's downtown and the waterfront. We had lunch at a friend of their's restaurant, Bubby's. It was fantastic. I took pics:) We got pics of the "0" mile marker for the trip and also dipped our tires in the Pacific. We are packed and ready to go in the AM. Oh, we also met up with the 3rd person in our group,Janet. She lives here on the island. This is her first tour. We are excited to have another person . She is so sweet and enthusiastic. I think she will be a real asset. Another great dinner tonight cooked by our hosts and wine and talk. I should sleep great.

We leave here at 9 AM. We have 1 1/2 hr ride to the ferry at Brentwood Bay . From there we will ride to Crofton to camp. We will be site seeing along the way. I will take and post pics and try and write something every day that I have internet. Here are a few pics from today. In a slide show. c

Here is a link that might be useful: slideshow Victoria BC

Comments (17)

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

cute pictures, I love Victoria, I was there in november 2001- it's such fun to follow you, good luck !

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Ooh, I LOVE Victoria too! Lucky you Trail! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics. What fun!

Food looks awesome too!

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Oh, man, what a great way to start!

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Oh I love Victoria too! What a great start to a great adventure... many of us are living vicariously through you!

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Oh I love Victoria too! What a great start to a great adventure... many of us are living vicariously through you!

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

What a beautiful place to start your journey. My husband and I were in Victoria years ago when my oldest was a toddler and I was pregnant with my second child. I look forward to going back some day - we had a fabulous time.

I'm excited to follow your journeys!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

And she's off!!!!! LOL

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

The word of the day at our house is 'shine'. Enjoy your brand new shiny journey!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    11 years ago

You are truly living in the moment. May all of them be WONDER-full!

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

Enjoy . . . enjoy . . . enjoy!!!
    Lynn

• eandhl
    11 years ago

Have a wonderful, safe trip!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Thank you for keeping us updated. i will be watching for your posts. Safe journey:)

• Bethpen
    11 years ago

Safe Travels Trail! I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Beth P.

• User
    11 years ago

Sooo envious for many reasons. I know you will enjoy yourself and I'm very grateful to be allowed to "travel" along!

Java

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mitch, graywings,stinky, bestyears,4kids, catmom,bethpen,java,holly,lynn,martin,ellen and eedee: I REALLY apologize for not being able to write a sentence to each of you. Time is so scrunched ! I am standing in the laundry room of the campground in Courtenay BC. I can't tell you ALL how much your notes mean to me. I want to look at the threads that are on the convo side....especially anele...I need to see what is going on there.

Anyway ..I am going to start a thread that is set up as day 1, day 2 etc. I will add to it till it reaches the limit :) I am not going to keep starting new threads. XXOO to all of you !! c

• nanny2a
    11 years ago

Oh, you lucky dog, you! BC has such beautiful country! I would love to see it again, and now I can, through you! Be safe, Trail, and have a marvelous journey. I will be reading each update with great anticipation. I wish I had your stamina!

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Have a fabulous time!

I can say this because this is where I live - boy I sure hope the weather improves for you! But the forecast is saying otherwise. Our area is beautiful because it rains so much, the downside of that is that it rains a lot and that is why we have rain forests and I hope you ride through some.