Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

6 Weeks to Fitness: Week #4

anele_gw
9 years ago

Hi, everyone!

I am ready for the week to begin! How about you? Losing steam? Hanging in there?

I'm trying not to get discouraged by my lack of progress . . .it's only been three weeks but I'd like to see more improvement! But, like the saying I posted last week says, "Even slow progress is progress."

Comments (19)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'm doing pretty well, all things considered.

My goal of exercising 6 out of 7 days a week...I missed one day and counted taking down a cedar tree as exercise another, so not the exercise I intended but better than nothing. What I am noticing though, esp with the weight lifting is it's already making the everyday stuff I do so much easier.

I have continued to work on the plank and the squat. I'm up to 85 seconds on the plank. I find it very meditative in a strange way as I close my eyes and focus on my breathing ...I'm definitely in the now and it helps the time go by quickly. I've also noticed that the low back twinges I often got seem to have improved a lot since doing the plank.

Also, I was able to squat with my feet flat! I was able to hold it for about 5 seconds before rolling backward, so I'm not there yet, but definitely improved.

This coming week will be challenging as I have overnight guests with dinner and breakfast, more company for lunch and 2 memorial day picnics to work through. Yikes!

• awm03
    9 years ago

My workout group met at an outdoor basketball court today. We did some running drills, & relays dribbling down the court, and a quick game. Exhausting, and we are terrible basketball players! But lots of fun: 40 & 50 yr olds, whooping it up & laughing on the court. If we get any crazier, we are going to develop a "reputation" in our small town :)

• awm03
    9 years ago

Anele, three weeks is enough time to reap some results. I'm sure you are fitter than when you started. Also, now you are developing a good base fitness to build on. Hang in there, hang in there! You'll feel a need to step up to another fitness level in about a month, perhaps. Patience & variety will help.

Do you look at exercise videos on Youtube? Maybe you can find something that works with your current fitness level there.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Anybody do step? I used to, it's a great workout. Thinking I should get out the step bench again just to get my cardio back up to where I'd like it to be. The video below looks very good -- no crazy, complicated maneuvers, and a swift pace to keep it interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: step work out

• fourkids4us
    9 years ago

I used to do step aerobics as part of my workout routine. At one point I ended up with plantar fasciitis though. I wasn't sure if it was due to that or something else, but as soon as I stopped doing it I never had a problem again. Even though I now run regularly (I only ran once or twice a week back then and low mileage), I've never gotten it again. I think the high impact wasn't good for me personally. I loved the class though.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, you are doing GREAT! You have not only stuck to your plan, but are seeing such fantastic improvement . . .the fact that everyday life is easier makes a world of difference, I think. And yay about the squats! I hear you re: the guests-- maybe readjust your goals so that they work for the new schedule this week. Sounds like fun, though!

Awm, you are so nice to offer words of encouragement! I need that! I have to stay focused on that I feel so much better . . .when I do cardio, I feel great afterwards (endorphins?) and I also notice a little bit more muscle. (Just a bit-- not that I see it at all, but I feel it.) I also like to know that at least I am moving forward instead of back (which is what happens with age naturally, I guess.) BUT, I see how long, long, long a way I have to go. When I went to Target last week to buy the ankle weights, the clerk said, "But you are already fit." Ha, ha! I told her, "Oh no . . .I am NOT!" Funny that she would think that.

My kids help keep me motivated, too. I ask them, "Can you do this?" (something I struggle with physically) and they can do it easily while laughing! That makes me realize that I want to do what they can. It will take awhile, though! Slow and steady . . .and, re: YouTube, the problem is the logistics, but I have to work on fixing that.

I tried a step class once (in public) and was so lost that I never went back. It does seem like a good idea-- just to kick things up a notch.

I love the image of you all playing basketball! That sounds like so much fun and the whole point of exercise.

We may be going hiking this weekend at a state park. I have always loved doing that but rarely get the chance, so it will be exercise with a purpose (and pleasure).

Fourkids, how are you doing this week?

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

awm, I love it that you gals are out there playing basketball! I was playing volleyball when I was that age and absolutely loved it. I even played in a mixed league a couple of years ago one season but we didn't have enough people the next year to play. I really enjoyed it and surprisingly my skills came back fairly easily. It's probably been way too long to do basketball again, lol. Also played racquetball competitively for a few years but again there weren't many women at the health club that played and it was hard playing all the time with the guys.

This is an easy training week for me, yay! It's built in that way as we're leading up to the biggie on Monday. Last Saturday was our last long run on the course, so we do short runs to stay loose this week. Did my 3 miles last night and will do short runs or rest the remainder of the week. Getting excited and I have a massage scheduled and am taking the day off work the day after Memorial Day! DH's birthday is Sunday so I am trying to get the kids and grandkids together for dinner to celebrate his birthday too.

I've been to step classes a few times, but didn't really enjoy them as much as other things I have done (body pump, yoga, pilates - which I plan to start back to after this race).

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

I'm still here! I did my workout on Saturday, and went back today. Everything is getting a little easier and I'm feeling more comfortable in the gym, which is helping.

I fell off the plank challenge and will get back to that tomorrow.

Beth P.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks, Anele...knowing I need to report in on how I'm doing is really helpful! Thanks for setting this up!

• awm03
    9 years ago

outsideplaying, how exciting that your race is coming up soon!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Outside, I took a racquetball class in college. It was so much fun! I forgot that it's a sport I could try again . . .but I guess I'd need a friend to play with me! Hmm . . .

That is VERY impressive that you played competitively!!! Wow! And woo hoo for your race!

Beth, yay! I am so glad things are getting easier in more ways than one! I have not started the plank challenge at all. I tried it briefly to ask DD if she did it in school and I can see how great it is. Later today I will do it! Thank you for the reminder!

Annie, now we just need to figure out how to keep doing this. Maybe a monthly thing instead once the 6 weeks is done?

I have to think what I'll do next week. We are going to be gone for several days, and 2 of them will be spent riding in the car most of the day. I need to quickly learn some exercises I can do with my weights, I think. At least I have the Internet to find them! Maybe I will bring a yoga DVD, just in case the kids want to do it with me . . .

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Anele,
    One thing I used to do with my kids was "freeze dance"...we'd crank the tunes, dance like mad..then stop the music and freeze...always a good way to get some movement in the day. Something just made me think of that.

One time we all tried to do Tae Bo...that was fun too. Every little bit helps, and if you are having fun even better.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Anele, did you ever get the fitness bands? Those are great for traveling if you don't want to carry your heavy weights. You can hook or tie them to the door of the room or a bedpost and work away. Some you can just stand on if you bought a set with the handles and work with different strength bands. I finally remembered the name of the ones we have - 'Go Fit'. They came in a carrying case. We had to replace something recently and surprisingly after 8 or more years, they still were available on-line. The handles had been slightly re-designed, but same thing.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Ok, confession time! I did a big backslide for a week or so: ate sugar, drank red wine and did not workout often. I gained weight and felt like cr@p!

On Sunday I slapped myself and went back to healthy eating and regular exercise. I already feel MUCH better.

As for step, awm03, it's funny that you mention that. I was an avid step aerobics nut in the 90's. Now at my gym, the step is an integral part of the 30 minute circuit and I LOVE it! Might make me drag my step platform out of the basement! What a workout!

Kudos to all of you for trying. It really is a week-to-week endeavor! We give it our best shot.

Thank you all for sharing.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beth, I forgot about freeze dance! You're right-- kids love it! I used to use Tae Bo . . .back when I had a VCR, I think (haha!). That is a good one, because it doesn't talk about being "sexy," I think . . .that's my big hesitation of doing workouts (other than things like yoga) w/the kids, because I don't like them hearing the message of weight loss, being sexy. fat = bad, etc.

Outside, I was all set to buy them for home use-- went shopping with a friend who has always exercised in so many ways (gym, home, kayaking, caving, etc.) and she talked me out of them. She said I should just stick to weights. But, of course, traveling is a good reason, so I will get them. I have seen the GoFit brand-- good to know it lasts!!

Bonnie, yay!!! That is awesome that you got yourself back on track. That is what counts. It's weird how we "think" not exercising, not eating how we wants. etc. is going to be better (because it seems like more fun!) but then we really do feel worse.

RE: the step-- how is that on knees?

More motivation . . .

Have a great Memorial Day weekend, everyone!

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Came to this thread because I really don't feel like going to the gym.

Off I go. Thursday I upped a lot of weights and changed some things up and it felt good. Today's routine will get a little tweak too.

Since the season has officially begun here on the Cape, everyone in my family is working all weekend. So at least I don't have any tempting parties to worry about!

The good news is I do feel stronger. I think I'm just one month in.

Beth

• User
    9 years ago

I am looking forward to joining a thread like this after my shoulder is rehabbed. My exercise is swimming and it is really hard to think of something new to do.

• awm03
    9 years ago

We went for a 23-mile bike ride today. Perfect early-summer-like day: clear blue sky, not too hot, trees newly leafed out, rhododendrons/iris/lilacs/peonies abloom. And the general population must have gone elsewhere for the holiday weekend because there was so little traffic. Bliss :)

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beth, that is FANTASTIC!!! Glad you did it anyway-- and feel the benefits!

Kswl, we will be waiting while you heal! How many weeks for your recovery?

Awm, that sounds absolutely beautiful!