Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Howard J. Rattsome

neetsiepie
11 years ago

We just had our little old boy, Howard, relieved of his misery. We think he had a stroke, his back legs were paralyzed and he couldn't move off the floor. Up until last week he was still able to get outside and bark at the ball.

He was 16 1/2. There was no dog more entertaining than Howard. He'd hike rocks like a football...even rocks as big as he was. He let the kids dress him up and dance with them. He rode on the bikes with the kids. He loved to dig, take him to the beach where there was endless sand and he'd dig till he passed out, then lie on his side and dig some more.

Fatolo, Rooshie, Ratty, Rat, Howard. Everyone who met him loved him. He was a happy, happy boy and we are priveledged to have been able to share our lives with him for all this time. He will be dearly missed, but I know that Heaven now has more entertainment than can be handled.

Comments (25)

• les917
    11 years ago

Pesky, hugs to you as you deal with this very hard loss. Howard was clearly a beloved member of the family. I know that you are broken-hearted, but at peace knowing he is not going to suffer any longer.

Our dear Kassi is about 14, starting to have some breathing issues, has some arthritis, and has really slowed down. I know that very soon we may face the tough decision. I get sad just thinking about it.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    11 years ago

Oh pesky, what a wonderful tribute you have written , and unique from most in that it had me smiling throughout. You have painted the image of a very special and endearing little pup......and what a grand life he had!
    Oh how they steal and break our hearts.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

So sorry for your loss, you had me smiling at the thought of his antics,
    good luck in this difficult time.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry Pesky! HJR was obviously a very special dog who brought much joy into your family. I offer you my deepest sympathy as you grieve his loss.

• judithn
    11 years ago

oh pesky, I am so sorry. It hurts, I am sure, to have to say goodbye to such a beloved friend and family member. Those of us who love our pets and have also had to make these decisions can surely relate. Good luck with the days ahead.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry Pesky. He sounds like a wonderful part of your family. I know he was well loved and loved his people in return. (((hugs)))

tina

• User
    11 years ago

Pesky, I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved pet. Like Tina says, it's obvious he was so very loved and loved you in return for all your kindness to him. ((hugs))

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

Pesky , Ratty was lucky to have such a wonderful family to love and to entertain. I know it"s hard for you.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I just now saw his picture on FB, and what a cute little dog he was!

There are no words of comfort I can give you to make you feel better. Just know, which I'm sure you do, that he lived a fantastic life, the way it should be.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Ahhh Pesky, what a beautiful tribute to a well-loved dog...

• homebodymom
    11 years ago

I am so sorry about the loss of your special boy. Our pets touch our hearts in the most tender ways.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Oh, Pesky, I am so sorry. It sounds like he had a wonderful life and was well-loved.

• pugga
    11 years ago

I'm so very sorry for your loss, pesky. Howard was obviously a well-loved family member. What a happy life he had!

• teacats
    11 years ago

so very very sorry -- we grieve with you.

(((hugs)))

• JennaVaNowSC
    11 years ago

So sorry for your loss Pesky. Now Howard is playing at the Rainbow Bridge! But, how we miss our little furry children.
    Sending you hugs. So brave, and heartbreaking, to make that decision, I know.

• polly929
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss Pesky. I read this post with tears because my Belle is now 17 1/2 and last evening her legs were sliding out from under her while she was simply standing. I'm not ready to let her go, because she still has some really good days where she runs around the house and the yard. But I know it's getting near. It is going to be unbearable, as my kids think of her as a sibling.

Howard sounds like an awesome dog. He was so lucky to have had a family like yours.

• nanny2a
    11 years ago

I grieve with you, Pesky. Wonderful tribute to your beloved pup! My two Westies are laying beneath my chair as I write this, they are never far....... I know the loss of Howard must be heartbreaking.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry Pesky. I'm glad he had a long, healthy, happy life with you.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry. It is so hard to lose those 4-legged members of our family. (((pesky1))))

• golddust
    11 years ago

Pesky, I'm sorry. I know how hard it is to lose a fur baby. ((( Hugs )))

• susan209
    11 years ago

I know what you're feeling and I am so very sorry. I've had to put both a dog and cat down and it was just one of the hardest things to do. I wish you well and so sorry about the decline of the health of your dear Howard. You're in the thoughts of so many and best wishes for better days ahead Pesky. I always enjoy reading what you write here, I am more of a lurker than a writer, you always have something interesting to say.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THank you all for your well wishes. I've shared them with my family and we all appreciate it.

Having other dogs is making the transition easier, but I still keep looking for him. Last night when I fed them, I started to fill his bowl. I guess we need to take out his bowl and his bed, but we're just not quite ready for that.

Yesterday afternoon I was out in the back playing with the dogs and I could see him standing thee on the deck barking at them. Poor little guy, he was a gem.

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry, pesky. I remember that stage of still looking for the dog. It's heartbreaking. I hope you will feel better soon.

• texanjana
    11 years ago

Pesky, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved dog. I loved your story about him. It is so hard to lose them.

(((Hugs)))

Jana

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Oh, Pesky - I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet boy. I know what you mean about feeling the loss so deeply, that even though you have other animals, there's still a definite, almost visible void. May your find comfort in your other pets, and may your wonderful memories of Howard bring you joy.