Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

Do any of you use Argan oil for your face?

pammyfay
9 years ago

While channel surfing, I landed on QVC when they were selling the Josie Maran Argan cleansing oil (evidently there's quite a broad line of products with her name on it; Google says she's a model/actress/entrepreneur -- I suppose that's the typical career procession for many of them!).

I've heard only of Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner (and noticed it at CVS). Haven't tried it, guessing that it's just the latest fad to keep us buying more/different/new stuff; plus, I'm set for shampoo for a while, since so many come in extremely large bottle sizes nowadays.

I'm not somebody who jumps on the beauty-product bandwagon. I use either Cetaphil or a cleanser with salicylic acid (sometimes one of the St. Ive's scrubs). And I use no makeup except for sometimes toning down the start of a pimple with a concealer.

I'm just wondering what the excitement is over this argan oil stuff.

Comments (26)

• plumberry
    9 years ago

I got the josies light argan oil on the recommendation of someone at Sephora. I have been using it now for around 6 months and it seems gentle on my sensitive skin. I also like using moisturizer. t's lasted a long time and my skin feels less dry than usual.

• Rosarugosa1
    9 years ago

Josie Maran has a sunscreen that is a physical sunscreen and paraben free. It has an spf of 47 I think -- it's really good. I like that it melts into my face and doesn't rely on chemicals to protect me. I have tried so many different sunscreens, neutrogena, cerave, EltaMD, and more. The Josie Maran product is the best I think. I also have tried her Argan oil milk. Nice product. Her blushes and lip tints are very sheer and you can build up layers. I would never have gone for these when I was younger, they have lots of oil, but for 50+ dry skin they are great.

• RoseAbbey
    9 years ago

'"Dermatologists know nothing about what is healthy for the skin."

I would think /hope dermatologists would know the most about what is good for the skin

I havent tried argan oil but have heard good things about it, I use coconut oil which I really like.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I was given Josie's Whipped Argan Oil Body Butter at Christmas, and it has to be one of the best products I've ever used on my skin. I don't use it on the face though.

I have to be careful what to put on my face. One time I heard that Vitamin E oil is good for the face, and I ended up with hives. LOL.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I picked up some coconut oil body wash at TJ Maxx this winter for like $5.99...the best stuff I have ever used. I have really dry skin, especially in winter, and I did not itch all winter long and we all know how brutal this winter was! I usually use Cetaphil on my face...but am now tempted to try the Argan oil.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Interesting! I know it as Moroccan oil and did buy some at the salon for my hair. I did not like it.

While visiting my sister is NC we went to her salon which sells Aveda products. I had my hair washed and blown and she used their dry remedy daily moisturizing oil. The hair stylist said that the Moroccan oil sits on top of the hair while this product absorbs into the hair. I have vey frizzy hair and once it get the least bit humid, all bets are off. But, with this product I do see much less frizzing. I am also able to actually skip a day or two of washing my hair. This is hugh for me! I just dry style after my shower.

Since I have dry skin, I would like to learn more about using Argan oil on my face. I just viewed a video and it looked like you use one product on both face and hair?

I think I will check it out next time I'm near a Sephora.
    Who can't use less lines and wrinkles?!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

No experience with Argan oil but just want to say that I also use organic coconut oil as Roseabbey mentioned and do not have issues with feeling greasy as flyingflower indicated. It may have to do with the level of dryness you start with or the amount applied, but I find it takes about 5 minutes or less for it to absorb and just feel soft. Using coconut oil is relatively new for me but I'm amazed already at the difference in my facial skin. I also use it on my hair now and it's become my go-to body moisturizer as well.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

dlm, what brand coconut oil do you use? Does it help with wrinkles and fine lines?

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I have read that Coconut oil can clog your pores. I use a mix of Grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, castor oil and seabuckthorn oil as a cleanser. Then I use a moisturizer from sephora that is a seaberry oil moisturizer. If you would like to read more about oil cleansing I have some good articles pinned below.

I have also started using almond oil as a hand moisturizer.

Here is a link that might be useful: oil cleansing

• RoseAbbey
    9 years ago

I wonder if argon oil for cooking is the same as the argon cosmetic oil. Both types are labelled 100% argon oil. The cooking oil is much less expensive.

Coconut oil can clog pores if you already have that issue is what I read.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

there are many wonderful, skin friendly oils that can be used for beauty purposes. I have not used Argan Oil , but have used emu oil for many years as my go-to skin problem solver.

Note 1: Yes, emu oil is basically giant chicken fat. But properly processed it's not yucky.

Note 2: Haven't used many of Josie Maran's products . . . but she went to my high school! (after my time. So did Grace Slick, but before my time!)

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

ellendi I have been using Trader Joes Organic coconut oil. It's a quart jar I believe, for under $5. I put some in a small Tupperware type container so it's easier to keep in my bathroom and use a small cosmetic plastic spatula (the kind they use at Sephora or ulta) to take a bit out. I don't use it for cleansing, just moisturizing at night. I remove my makeup with a very hot washcloth held on for a moment, gently wipe, rinse it out and repeat 3 - 4 x - no soap, no facial cleanser. Weird, I know, but my skin hasn't looked this good in a long time. I still have fine lines around my eyes and a few around my lips however I just turned 60 so it goes with the territory and I was a sun worshiper for many years.... sigh. It's hard to explain, but my skin just looks healthy, soft and has a nice glow that is recent. I don't get frantic about being seen without makeup and that's a total switch!! Everyone is different in how their skin will react but I'm pleased.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting what kind you use dlm - we have a Trader Joes, so I think I might try theirs.

tina

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I'll check it out too. I usually moisturizer after my morning shower. Does it take a while to absorb?
    BTW same age bracket dlm.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

I use it all over my face, neck and decolletage at night, but when I use it in the morning after showering, I apply it more lightly than I do at night and at that time i avoid the eye area (and use a vitamin c moisturizer there) so eye makeup will stay put. It absorbs into cheeks, forehead and neck pretty quickly. It takes so very little - it's solid at room temp but liquefies immediately on skin. I keep a small container in my nightstand for hands, elbows and feet at bedtime, too. Hope you girls like it - and if not, you can always cook with it!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

So, it's in the food section? I was going to look in the beauty aisle.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

No - it's a food product! Pure, organic, edible. Try that with even the high end products!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Thanks for clearing that up. Should be interesting to try....

• pammyfay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I stopped in at a Sephora store today.

The cleansing oil's immediate scent made me think of orange-scented household cleaning liquid (like Orange-Glo), but it dissipated quickly. The store had a 2-piece "trial size" box for $18, but I passed on it, wanting to read more about the Argan oil and other oils people use.

I tried the hand cream, which was very nice (I'm still getting over my winter-hands roughness/redness/tiny "cuts" in many places on the hands -- I guess I just "abuse" them on zippers and such and just don't realize it.) Several years ago, a friend gave me a Body Shop almond oil cuticle cream, and I pulled it out again this winter, and that helped a bit. I finally learned to not use any hand creams that contain alcohol; Udderly Smooth seems not to have any.

Now to my next question: Does the coconut oil's scent dissipate quickly, too? I'm talking about the Trader Joe's kind. (Or, does the coconut oil have a scent at all? Maybe thinking about the coconut kind of scent in suntan lotions has led me astray in my assumption -- maybe that scent is artificially added?)

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

It does have a very soft coconut scent. I'm very sensitive to perfumed products and use unscented things when at all possible. Certain very soft scents don't bother me - baby powder and coconut being two. It either doesn't linger long or is very subtle because my DH is even more bothered by perfumey things than I am and he is fine with it. The smell in tanning lotions is far stronger and you're probably right that those are artificial.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I have been trying to use coconut oil as a moisturiser. I keep it in a small tupperware container and put it in a the sink with warm water to get it to melt. I do not like coconut smell or taste but I find it dissipates so fast I do not notice it. I asked DH many times if he smells or tastes coconut on me and he says no.

dlm2000, so you are only using coconut oil on your face and body? No other moisturizers?

• RoseAbbey
    9 years ago

All this talk of argon oil made me want to try it. I stopped in at Sephora and tried the sample. I found the original one too oily but did light the light version so I bought the smallest bottle/ Too expensive to use all over face for me, but it might be good under eyes for daytime use as coconut oil is too greasy for day use.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

debrak2008 - I do use other products on my face and body. Daytime I use Avalon Organic Vitamin C products or Boots #7 serum around my eyes and extending out. Daytime body moisturizer is a St Ives product but sometimes I just do a quick swipe of coconut oil over my arms and legs - just depends on the day, where I'm going and what skin will be showing. I use very little of the coconut oil because it spreads so rapidly and covers a large area which may be one reason I don't have the issue with it being greasy as roseabbey does. But more likely her skin is likely less dry than mine and she needs something less intense.

• RoseAbbey
    9 years ago

dlm is right, each us have different skin needs.

I tried the light argon oil this morning. Thought one drop would be enough for under my eyes...wow, this stuff goes a long way, one drop was enough for both upper and lower lids, plus my mouth to nose area and my throat area!

• Crystal Getting
    3 years ago

Thread from 6years ago so ik its a long shot. 😑But anyone put argan oil on the face (after exfoliating) and find these goopy almost like dead skin bits all over the face?

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm