Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Happy Mother's Day

neetsiepie
10 years ago

A bit early- Any special plans?

Today my kids and I did a 5K walk for the a program to support victims of rape and domestic violence. It's the primary fundraiser for the center and I was honored to share this with my kids today. We decided we're going to make it an annual event-to do something physical for a community or charity, since I already feel so fortunate to have such wonderful children, I don't need anything else.

Tomorrow I'm going to rest and maybe scrapbook-MIL is coming over and it may be her last Mother's Day so we're going to spend time with her.

Comments (17)

• blfenton
    10 years ago

My mom was going to come into town (she has to drive and then take a ferry to get here) but she just called to say that she slipped and slammed her rib cage against her bathroom counter. She thinks she may have cracked her rib and it's quite painful so she is going to stay home. I'll phone her in the morning and see if she wants me to come up, she is 84 and fiercely independent and so I already know the answer to that one. But, depending on how she sounds will dictate whether or not I force the issue and go up anyway.

Aside from that - I don't celebrate Mother's Day with my family. It isn't worth the aggravation of having to deal with my MIL.

• golddust
    10 years ago

I'm doing the yard tomorrow. This time of year gets overwhelming. The lawn and weeds grow three inches a day. Still working on fencing and planting my garden. Jack knocked over two planters today and I have to finish cleaning up his mess. I saved the plants but was too busy with other things to clean up well.

DH bought me a beautiful new (old) dining room table. It is stunning. 60" round with five leaves. The table company went out of business in 1891. We had to disassemble it to get it in the house and it was complicated. We rented a truck to get it home.

We ran new plumbing throughout our house Friday but my kitchen currently has only hot water. We cant figure out why. The plumbing looks great. Of course we called but said it was not an emergency. We have cold water in the bathroom. Life is a happy mess here.

I'd like to do something on my Green Egg imposter tomorrow and get the chairs moved up from the basement, if there is time after the yard, fencing and plumbing issues. I need to go to the grocery store.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I am only "mother" to a large black cat, but he really does think I'm his cat-mom.

My mother is deceased. We will have MIL come over for brunch. It was either that or go out. Our favorite place seemed to have reservations as of yesterday. For all the time spent prepping, shopping, etc., really we should have just gone out. She also wants to see "Silver Linings Playbook" so we will watch that on-demand. I will put out some Williams-Sonoma linens I bought last year, so I'm excited to use them because they are very spring-looking. I've already washed all the plates and glassware. We are going to make salmon eggs benedict with fresh strawberries and salad.

Have a wonderful day, ladies, and hope you get to do what you enjoy, including working in the yard!

blfenton, hope your mom is OK.

This post was edited by gsciencechick on Sun, May 12, 13 at 8:41

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

We celebrated earlier this week with all the kids, my DIL and my DD's boyfriend. Since is was DD's birthday last week we decided to combine that with Mom's Day and get together in the city for dinner and then at my son's place for dessert.

Gold dust - no fair - photos please! the table sounds beautiful.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Another" just a cat-mum" here --

But I do send along All Best Wishes for a Brillant Mum's Day to all of the mums here ....

• texanjana
    10 years ago

I have seen my mom several times during the last 2 weeks since my dad has been hospitalized, so she told me to stay home today and rest! Sent flowers to her and MIL, and they both loved them.

All three kids will be taking me to dinner tonight and got me flowers. DH got me a card and a massage at my favorite place, and I am getting it next Saturday.

I went yesterday and bought myself a really good pair of walking shoes and orthotics at a fabulous local shoe store. Never thought I would plunk down almost $200 for walking shoes, but it was so worth it since I have foot and ankle issues. My walk last night was so much more enjoyable with those shoes.

Hope you all have a great Mother's Day!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

Happy day to all!

I am at work and it's fairly quiet. No doubt there will be a rush of the male persuasion looking for gifts before the day is over. Yesterday was 'mother's day eve' and it was a zoo.

DH and dd are out of state visiting his ailing dm. I saw my dm the other day and just talked to her so am simply heading home after work.

Dh has been home on vacation all week so I am really looking forward to an empty house, leftover spaghetti and a scary movie tonight. I adore my husband, but I'm sure you all understand how delightful alone time is too!

Yes gold, you don't get to state It is stunning. 60" round with five leaves. and think that's sufficient information!

• golddust
    10 years ago

Here is the legs if my table.

• golddust
    10 years ago

It's 60" with five leaves.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I spent the entire morning in my bed with my 12 yo DD, who fell yesterday and hurt her back. We watched "Say Yes to the Dress" and ate donuts. I'm pretty sure DH has a gift for me but he has apparently forgotten to give it to me. It's been a distracting weekend with DD's injury yesterday and since she can barely move, we cancelled our plans to go to an art/flea market this afternoon, but we are all going out to dinner, just to a casual local place.

17 yo DS gave me a big hug this morning, which these days I appreciate because hugs from him are rare! He's a great kid, just a teenage boy who really isn't into hugging his mom on a regular basis. Oldest DS said Happy Mother's Day and that's about as good as it gets with him.

I'm basically just trying to be as lazy as possible...so far, I'm succeeding!

• golddust
    10 years ago

Oh, Sueb, those teenage years. It's what makes us eligible for Sainthood. Even the best of kids are trying out their wings and trying to separate from their parents. Thank goodness for that occasional hug.

They do come back...

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Happy Mother's Day!
    Golddust, I love your table, gorgeous!
    Pesky, congratulations on your walk, it sounds like a great family tradition.
    Jexanjana, I can totally relate to your expensive shoes. I bought $140.00 running shoes the other day for my waitress job. It sounds crazy until you realize how much your feet can hurt when they aren't happy. I REALLY appreciated them today when I worked. We work in my sister's restaurant and Mother's Day is one of our busiest day. It was my first day back since the fall. Those shoes are worth every penny!

We went out for a nice dinner with my mom and sister. No fistfights, which his always a plus. We went early since we were all up at 4 to get ready for work. I'm excited to watch the Bruins and go to bed early.

Beth P.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

Gold, what a grand and beautiful table. Can't wait to see what you do for chairs. Sueb20, such a week you've had! Hope your dd mends quickly.

My SIL just emailed this picture. She said dh and his mom did not let go the whole visit. This is what it's all about isn't it?

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day including moms of fur-babies. My day was busy. Old friends are in town and came by for a morning visit. I had not seen them for a few years and that was at their daughter's wedding so we didnt have much time to visit. We didn't have much time this time either, but it was wonderful to see them. We have been friends for 45 years.

I had phone calls from my older son and from my brother. Then I went to my mom's house and my younger son made dinner for us -- steak and grilled asparagus. Yummy! I got a beautiful hanging basket of white New Guinea Impatiens. I gave my mom a gorgeous basket of purple variegated ivy geranium.

We are getting a cold snap tonight, so all the flowers came inside that are not in the ground. It was a nice day.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Just had to pop in again and brag for a minute. After dinner, my 17 yo DS gave me a letter/certificate saying "thank you for being such a great mom. I'm sorry I spend a lot of time out with friends or in my room -- guess I'm just doin' that teenage thing. For Mother's Day, I'd like to spend a day with you on a mother-son date. We can do anything you want to do, whether it's watching TV at home, going to a movie or a museum, venturing on a day trip, etc. We don't get as much time to hang out together as we used to, so I'm looking forward to spending a day with you." How sweet is that?

DD also made a card calling me the best mom in the world and saying she loves me sooooo much.

Oldest DS? Well, he wasn't mean to me today. And he cleaned his room this weekend. (Never mind the threats I made to get him to do it.)

And yes, DH came through with a great pair of earrings.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Happy MotherâÂÂs Day to all the moms of furry kids and human kids (with special thoughts to Annie).

Both my boys were working so we didnâÂÂt get together. IâÂÂm enjoying my flowers and teddy bear from my eldest; he is such a thoughtful young man. Other than that I slipped in and out of my pity party while packing but did stop to buy myself a nice crimson Diane Von Furstenberg top on sale at lastcall.com (never owned a DVF top so I hope I like it). I was disappointed my momâÂÂs trinkets didnâÂÂt reach her in time; I had bought her a little Harajuku Lovers Fragrance Baby Eau de Toilette Spray because she likes light scents close to a baby powder smell and I got her all-time favorite Mistral Shea Butter hand Soap in South Sea. Oh well, mom gets excited waiting for things to come in the mail so the anticipation will be good too.

Edited to say Sueb20, that is very special what your son did...so sweet!

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sun, May 12, 13 at 21:54

• golddust
    10 years ago

Deedee, DH just drug my old set back up from the basement. They aren't fancy but there are six old mission oak chairs with a nice finish. They aren't huge or fancy but they calm the table legs down a bit by hiding them somewhat.

It's a grand table from the Lentz Table Company in Tennessee. They went out of business in 1891. I'm not crazy about those claw legs with the big toenails but it was what was available in the size I desired. Feeding thirty some people is more fun when lots of peopke fits around the same table.

Underneath the top, in old pencil and writing, it says 'Special Order'.